PDA

View Full Version : Harold Reynolds fired from ESPN

brewcrew/chisox
07-25-2006, 09:00 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires_reynolds_sports_andrew_marchand.htm

Don't know if this was posted already. I did a search.

Wow, I wonder why? Out of all of the fools at BBTN, he was, IMO, the least idiotic....tallest midget in the circus kind of thing.

Deuce
07-25-2006, 09:02 AM
My prayers have been answered!!! There is a God!!!

cbotnyse
07-25-2006, 09:14 AM
:o: Thats kinda crazy...I did not mind Harold at all.....I wonder if Kruk had him pushed out? :nuts: :smokin:

SoxandtheCityTee
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
We all have many axes to grind with ESPN and BBTN but I liked Harold Reynolds. He was an ex-player without pretensions who was an easy talker and gave you a feel for how the players see (and discuss) things. He liked our team and our manager. During the 2003 All-Star game here in Chicago I volunteered, and I met him briefly -- he came in to pick up his own goodie bag instead of sending a flunky as most of the august personages did. He was soft spoken, polite, friendly.

I also thought he did a nice job on the College World Series.

To me, this departure has the sound of something having happened off the set. Hard to imagine that the network was looking to shake things up with Gammons still out and the pompous failed-GM Steve Phillips lecturing nightly.

mwc44
07-25-2006, 09:20 AM
They fire Harold and keep Brantley?????????? Who's going to manage at the Celebrity Softball Game at next year's All-Star game????

cleanwsox
07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Harold was definitely easy on the ears and one of my favorite analysts on the show. I'm sure we will hear soon enough what the reason was, but I'll miss seeing him on there.

The Dude
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/espn_fires_reynolds_sports_andrew_marchand.htm

Don't know if this was posted already. I did a search.

Wow, I wonder why? Out of all of the fools at BBTN, he was, IMO, the least idiotic....tallest midget in the circus kind of thing.

Tallest midget my ass! Harold sucked just as bad as the rest of the ESPN buffoons. Good riddance!:D:

Chicken Dinner
07-25-2006, 09:30 AM
I won't miss him. That's what you get when you pick Big Papi for the Home Run Derby.

Tragg
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
I'd speculate some incident...he's no better or worse than the rest of them.
The only ones I don't really like are Ravitch and Brantley.

itsnotrequired
07-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Harold was definitely easy on the ears and one of my favorite analysts on the show. I'm sure we will hear soon enough what the reason was, but I'll miss seeing him on there.

I agree. Certainly one of the most likeable out of those bozos.

cheeses_h_rice
07-25-2006, 10:22 AM
That's just more pie crumbs for Kruk....sigh.

downstairs
07-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Thank you ESPN. One down, a few more to go...

Berman
[check] Reynolds
Kruk
Brantley
Morgan

ilsox7
07-25-2006, 10:25 AM

Berman
[check] Reynolds
Kruk
Brantley
Morgan

Berman would never, ever get fired. He's been there since about Day 1. He is King as far as ESPN is concerned.

downstairs
07-25-2006, 10:26 AM
BTW... what's with a "smooth talker" being a good characteristic? Does that mean Barry White would have been the best man for the job?

I prefer intelligence.

07-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Keep Berman for Football only

whitesoxfan
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I remember on the season opening Sunday night game last year, during BBTN, Reynolds was talking about how powerful the Cardinals lineup was and he could not remember Albert Pujols' name. He said something to the effect of: "They have Edmonds, Scott Rolen, uhhhh Larry Walker, Bo Hart, and uhhh the other guy." Right, the other guy :rolleyes:

For that reason alone, he should've been fired. It did seem like, especially lately, that Reynolds and Kruk were disagreeing more and more and you could tell that there may have been some rift between the two. Perhaps that was the reason he was fired?

Pierzynski 12
07-25-2006, 11:03 AM
I have to listen to John Kruk more. Hooray.:cuss:

DaleJRFan
07-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Maybe they had to make room on the active roster for Gammons. I hear he's due for rehab assignment soon... :D:

I won't miss Reynolds, but he wasn't bad enough on broadcasts. I always thought he was fairly amusing. Oh well.

peeonwrigley
07-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Berman would never, ever get fired. He's been there since about Day 1. He is King as far as ESPN is concerned.

Not to mention he's with leather.

monkeypants
07-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I wasn't a fan of his but he was one of the least objectionable talking heads on the booya network.
Just keep in mind, do you really think ESPN is going to replace him with someone better? It is ESPN. They're just going to find someone with less knowledge that yells more and louder.

QCIASOXFAN
07-25-2006, 11:41 AM
I would rather watch Reynolds then watch Brantley or that loser Steve Phillips.

Gavin
07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Had to be something like drugs/prostitutes/something else scandelous and completely intolerable. Reynolds was absolutely harmless on air and completely likeable, though he didn't really add too much.

The Immigrant
07-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Not to mention he's with leather.

Oh, snap! :rolling:

SOXintheBURGH
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
I enjoyed Reynolds. :(:

oeo
07-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I remember on the season opening Sunday night game last year, during BBTN, Reynolds was talking about how powerful the Cardinals lineup was and he could not remember Albert Pujols' name. He said something to the effect of: "They have Edmonds, Scott Rolen, uhhhh Larry Walker, Bo Hart, and uhhh the other guy." Right, the other guy :rolleyes:

For that reason alone, he should've been fired. It did seem like, especially lately, that Reynolds and Kruk were disagreeing more and more and you could tell that there may have been some rift between the two. Perhaps that was the reason he was fired?
So...he drew a blank? What's wrong with that? Sometimes you just can't think of someone's name or something, no matter how famous it is. Now, if this was a guy like Brantley, who repeatedly forgets guys names and calls them by the incorrect name, that's different. Overall, Reynolds was good about that. Actually, he was the only guy I liked on that show...oh well, I guess.

CRAW
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I would rather watch Reynolds then watch Brantley or that loser Steve Phillips.

Hear, hear!!!

I would much rather watch Kirkjan, Kruk, and Reynolds over anyone else on BBTN. Those three would crack me up while ribbin' each other. :D:

INSox56
07-25-2006, 12:18 PM
I liked Reynolds, he's the only one actually. Phillips is an idiot as is Brantley. Kruk kind of annoys me...Harold was always there with some decent insights but just kind of there. I guess I liked him because, compared to the other morons, he was good. hah

chaerulez
07-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Reynolds would say stupid stuff once in a while (such as picking Bobby Crosby for his AL MVP), but he was never arrogant about it like Brantley and Kruk. Steve Phillips might be the biggest loser of them all, how many times do we have to hear he's the former GM of the New York Mets? Steve if you were so good at your job why aren't you still the current GM? And why is the team about to do something you never were able to (win the division)?

I hope ESPN had a legit reason to fire Harold. They wouldn't get rid off that complete piece of crap Michael Irvin after he got in trouble with drugs yet again.

VenturaSoxFan23
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
He didn't rock the boat or cause controversy, unlike the other tools. Just said his piece and moved on.

rowand33
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I really like Reynolds. He seemed like he was always having a lot of fun. Much more enjoyable to watch than the rest of them.

soxfan43
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Something pretty shady must have happened behind the scenes. He was by far the least controversial analyst on BBTN. That being said, it's not like any of those guys are that great. But with Gammons on the DL, it must have been something pretty crazy for them to fire someone at this point. Plus they stuck by Irvin with the drug stuff, so it must have been something bad. Maybe he can replace DJ or Singleton(yes I know he signed a multiyear deal).

JermaineDye05
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
harold reynolds for javy vazquez??

seriosuly though, sad to hear that, he was the only BBTN analyst that made sense, aside from Peter Gammons and Joe Morgan

mwc44
07-25-2006, 01:14 PM
...Maybe he can replace DJ or Singleton(yes I know he signed a multiyear deal).

You know, that's not that bad of an idea! hmmmmm......

slobes
07-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Who's going to manage at the Celebrity Softball Game at next year's All-Star game????
Sadly that was the very first thought that came to my head.

Viva Medias B's
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Speaking of the Celebrity All Star Softball Game, does anyone know what Kenny Mayne does at ESPN these days?

whitesoxfan
07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
So...he drew a blank? What's wrong with that? Sometimes you just can't think of someone's name or something, no matter how famous it is. Now, if this was a guy like Brantley, who repeatedly forgets guys names and calls them by the incorrect name, that's different. Overall, Reynolds was good about that. Actually, he was the only guy I liked on that show...oh well, I guess.

I dislike Brantley much more than anyone else on the show. He also hasn't been on the show as much as last year as well from what I have seen of it over the last few weeks.

Is it really wrong to dislike all of the "analysts" that ESPN has on BBTN? I think they all have their faults, and no particular strengths to be honest.

soxfan13
07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
I actually like Harold Reynolds, might be in the minority but ill miss him.

FedEx227
07-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Speaking of the Celebrity All Star Softball Game, does anyone know what Kenny Mayne does at ESPN these days?

Fights sports video deficency

Timmy D's
07-25-2006, 01:45 PM
Maybe they can replace him w/ Chris Rock, and no-one will know the difference. I actually didnt notice it, but my 3 year old daughter starts yellin(Zebras name from Madagascar) whenevr she sees/hears Reynolds. They actually do sound identical.

"How much for one rib!!??"

caulfield12
07-25-2006, 01:47 PM
I remember when I was collecting baseball cards in the 1980's and early 90's and sent a card for him to autograph when he was a rookie...

He sent it back to me right away, and he added a quote from the Bible, which I think he used to do with all autograph requests at one point.

Not to say that some of these scandal ideas are out of left field completely, but he's one of those guys who had the reputation of being almost like a saint on and off the field...not because he quoted the Bible, but simply because everyone I've ever met around baseball thought of him as a very solid person, a Thome or Konerko type.

I've certainly never seen anything, either during his playing career or broadcasting career, that would suggest such a thing.

Viva Medias B's
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Maybe Harold got fired because he kept losing the Celebrity All Star Softball Game.

MikeLove
07-25-2006, 01:53 PM
reynolds is far and away the best that is (was) on espn BBTN, don't understand why you guys have so much beef with him. I cant say i like my favorite and pretty much the only level headed guy on that show to get fired.

digdagdug23
07-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Maybe Harold got fired because he kept losing the Celebrity All Star Softball Game.

Maybe it's all part of the Soriano deal, we trade DJ for Reynolds?

Soxfanspcu11
07-25-2006, 02:11 PM
On Baseball Tonite on Sunday, he got into a shouting match with Kruk, and not a "friendly" shouting match, it seemed pretty hostile. Harold even said to Kruk, "are you done?" in a way that was uncomfortable to watch. Kruk was clearly pissed as he had trouble breathing. Trouble breathing much more than normal. Don't know if this had something to do with it.

INSox56
07-25-2006, 02:14 PM
I'd take Reynolds over Kruk any day. I liked Kruk at one point in my life, on BBTN he just seems like a dick.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Reynolds, Brantley, Phillips and Kruk can't make a pimple on the rear end of the folks ESPN Baseball Tonight had when they were actually worth watching...namely Jim Katt, Bill Robinson and Ray Knight.

Lip

TheDarkGundam
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
I never watch BBTN, but Reynolds, from I have seen, seemed like good people.

Grobber33
07-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Harold Reynolds will always be history at OLD COMISKEY PARK. He made the final out there Sept 30,1990. Harold bounced to second base against Bobby Thigpen to end the last game there as the Sox defeated the M's to take two of three in the last series ever in the 'Baseball Palace of the World'.

pudge
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Reynolds added absolutely nothing, and now there's obviously something shady in his background, which just proves a "nice" on-air personality doesn't mean squat. See ya Harold, and here's hoping you never re-surface.

WS in 05
07-25-2006, 02:54 PM
fire reynolds yet keep kruk and ORESTES DESTRADE? this makes absoultely no sense

digdagdug23
07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
I'd take Reynolds over Kruk any day. I liked Kruk at one point in my life, on BBTN he just seems like a dick.

Moby WHAT?!?!?!?
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:n9hqhXILltoSjM:www.affichescinema.com/insc

TomParrish79
07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
any word on why he was fired??

It would seen like it would have to be something horrible for them to just fire him after signing an extension...what would be that horrible?? Sex with a co-worker?? Drugs??? Midget Fetish?

The Immigrant
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
The Booyahs are leaking rumors that Harold Reynolds got fired for sexual harrassment of female production assistants.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php

NOTE: these are rumors only and are completely unsubstantiated at this point.

tstrike2000
07-25-2006, 03:09 PM
Like many have said, Harold Reynolds was probably the most tolerable on BBTN between him, Brantley, Kruk, and Phillips. However, that's not saying much. Brantley and Kruk blow so much hot air is unbelievable and Phillips is probably the worst baseball "analyst" I've seen on any network. They helped make BBTN the skidmark on the underwear of baseball society.

StepsInSC
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Link to rumors that HR got the axe b/c of sexual harrassment. Nothing substantiated. (http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php)

SoxFan64
07-25-2006, 03:24 PM
Keep Berman for Football only

Keep Berman so you have a reason to throw something at my HDTV. :redneck

AnkleSox
07-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Link to rumors that HR got the axe b/c of sexual harrassment. Nothing substantiated. (http://www.deadspin.com/sports/top/was-this-why-harold-got-the-axe-189733.php)

I heard this rumor too...

WSox597
07-25-2006, 05:24 PM

Berman
[check] Reynolds
Kruk
Brantley
Morgan

Don't forget the soccer announcer, Jon Miller. The first time the Sox win the WS in 88 years, and this meathead won't call them the World Champions. I'm betting he had no such compunctions when the Bosox won in '04. Nice time to get PC on us. Nitwit...

Would it be possible to fire them all, and start fresh?

socko82
07-25-2006, 05:27 PM
I heard it was AROD that turned him in for sexual harrassment not the PA's.

HotelWhiteSox
07-26-2006, 12:24 AM
An ESPN employee actually being disciplined for sexual harrassment? :o:

Lip Man 1
07-26-2006, 01:03 AM
Didn't that happen to Mike Tirico also? I think he was removed from the air for six months or so. And I remember Gary Miller (The Urinator) being removed as Baseball Tonight host after his incident and basically exiled. You hardly ever see him around anymore.

Lip

thomas35forever
07-26-2006, 02:06 AM
I was actually tolerant of Reynolds. Wonder who'll fill his spot on Baseball Tonight. I guess that also means the end of him in the Legends/Celebrity Softball Game. Replace him with whoever. Just don't let it be another Kruk-like idiot.

StillMissOzzie
07-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Interesting note - there's now a blurb on ESPN.com that Harold Reynolds is no longer associated with ESPN. This blurb also includes a paragraph or two summarizing Reynolds' ballplayer and reporter resume, but I did get a chuckle out of this part: At the bottom, there's a line that says (and I'm paraphrasing here):

"Information from the Associated Press was used in this report"

***? The great and all-powerful ESPN had to fall back on another wire service to get facts and figures about ANY sports-related person, let alone one of their own (now ex-) employees? Simply amazing!

SMO
:?:

NonetheLoaiza
07-26-2006, 08:36 AM
fire reynolds yet keep kruk and ORESTES DESTRADE? this makes absoultely no sense

I like Orestes Destrade. I think he's got some pretty good insight, especially with some of the Latin players. Better than everyone else at least. Harold Reynolds is a shame, as he was definitely the most tolerable on the show.

PKalltheway
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Wow, I'm in shock! They keep dopes like Michael Irvin but they'll fire Harold Reynolds. He must have done something very, very bad. :o:

rowand33
07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
update:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgCy.l0ksR21SqJvAi.vJTIRvLYF?slug=ap-espn-reynolds&prov=ap&type=lgns

"It was a total misunderstanding," Reynolds told the Post. "My goal is to sit down and get back. To be honest with you, I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted."

34rancher
07-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Can't believe no one has posted this...Harold Reynolds (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/07/26/reynolds.report.ap/index.html?cnn=yes) has been fired due to Sexual Harrassment....Yikes :?:

WS in 05
07-26-2006, 10:43 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75836&highlight=harold+reynolds

search button is your friend

southwstchi4life
07-26-2006, 11:02 PM
This sucks, I liked Harold, Him and Kruk were great together

LuvSox
07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
This Dugout was actually funny. (http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/jon63.html)
Especially the Weezer comment. :D: