PDA

View Full Version : The Problem

cleanwsox
07-25-2006, 12:46 AM
Seems like everybody has a different thinking on what the problem is. What do you blame the recent slump on?

WWE Champion
07-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Javier Vazquez and Mark Buehrle.

Chicken Dinner
07-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Seems like everybody has a different thinking on what the problem is. What do you blame the recent slump on?

Sensitivity training.

MrX
07-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Brian Anderson

Seriously it's this teams inability to get a clutch hit. Look at Gooch, he's 2 for 4 tonight but when they need him to just fly out he pops it up to short.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 12:52 AM
If by 'recent' you mean the start of this slide, that embarassing 15-11 loss to the Cubs and that the listless performance the following night with the O's, it's the piching plain and simple.

The starters for the most part are blowing up, the bullpen for the most part is giving up a lot of runs.

Just think, in at least three of the past six games, the Sox had a slim lead in the middle innings. (Last two games at Detroit, tonight vs. Minnesota) Not much room for error I grant you, but last year they win some of those games 1-0 or 2-1. Not this year though.

Lip

Lip

oeo
07-25-2006, 12:53 AM
The problem is...they're in a funk. Don't even tell me that Buehrle is the problem, that's ****ing ridiculous. It's not just pitching (Contreras has been good, Garcia was good his last time around, Garland has been great, and Buehrle was pretty good outside of that 5-run third in his last start...Javy has been Javy, hopefully he can turn it around), it's not just hitting right now (this is what I think is the bigger problem as of now; the pitching was not terrible this time through the rotation, those games were very win-able). Everything has just bottomed out, and one game (hopefully soon) they'll just "have it" again.

rowand33
this should be a multiple choice poll.

CLR01
Global warming

chisoxmike
07-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Aaron Rowand not on the team anymore.

In all seriousness, it's the ****ty pitching of the starters and the ****ty relief effort out of the 'pen. It's one thing that Vazquez melted down and gave up the back to back jacks making it 3-2, it's another thing when Cotts comes in and blows the game up and makes it 6-2.

WWE Champion
Don't even tell me that Buehrle is the problem, that's ****ing ridiculous.
Buehrle has been horrible for a month. There's no defending him.

Deuce
The answer is "All of the Above." The hitting needs to be more consistent, the pitchers have to keep the game close for the offense and Ozzie needs to start managing his team and not letting them trip over themselves. But since I could only pick one, I picked the hitting. We cannot win games unless we score runs. We need to take the game outside our opponent's reach early (like the Tigers do). That way, they are the ones struggling to make something happen instead of us trying to hold onto a razor-thin lead.

cleanwsox
07-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Global warming

We have a winner :thumbsup:

oeo
07-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Buehrle has been horrible for a month. There's no defending him.
Show the man some respect...he's been our ace for the last 5 years. And his last start could have been won...if the offense could score runs without the homerun and our bullpen didn't **** its pants. Buehrle is going to be fine. The problems go farther than a couple of starters when your losing more than just those games.

WWE Champion
07-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Show the man some respect...he's been our ace for the last 5 years. And his last start could have been won...if the offense could score runs without the homerun. Buehrle is going to be fine.
I agree, Buehrle has been our ace and hopefully will be our ace again, but fact of the matter is he and Vazquez have been awful the past month and are a big part of the slump.

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 01:00 AM
OEO:

They have had 'it' for a few games but often this season...the first week, last three weeks and for about a month from mid May to early/ mid June they have lost their focus.

That has cost them dearly.

It's not that they don't have 'it'...it's that they can't keep 'it' for a long period of time before losing 'it'.

It may be normal but tell that to your favorite team the Tigers (bound to collapse and fall apart right?) and now the hotter then the sun Twins.

Lip

SoxShirt
07-25-2006, 01:04 AM
All of the above.

oeo
07-25-2006, 01:11 AM
OEO:

They have had 'it' for a few games but often this season...the first week, last three weeks and for about a month from mid May to early/ mid June they have lost their focus.

That has cost them dearly.

It's not that they don't have 'it'...it's that they can't keep 'it' for a long period of time before losing 'it'.

It may be normal but tell that to your favorite team the Tigers (bound to collapse and fall apart right?) and now the hotter then the sun Twins.

Lip
I never said the Tigers would collapse and fall apart. They're going to have their struggles, just like every team does. They're taking advantage of the Sox bad play right now, and the Sox will just have to take advantage when the Tigers have a rough patch in the road.

If they end up keeping this pace and never hit a funk (like you seem to believe), then you just have to tip your cap because that's a great season; and not many teams in the history of baseball would be able to top that. Do you think that the Tigers are a 110+ win team? They may be good (I still have trouble realizing this...), but they are not that good. They're very beatable...and the Sox should have easily taken that last series.

And as for the Twins...they've hit their rough patch, as the Sox are in right now. They didn't have it at the beginning of the year...now they seem to.

kevingrt
07-25-2006, 01:18 AM
The problem is...they're in a funk. Don't even tell me that Buehrle is the problem, that's ****ing ridiculous. It's not just pitching (Contreras has been good, Garcia was good his last time around, Garland has been great, and Buehrle was pretty good outside of that 5-run third in his last start...Javy has been Javy, hopefully he can turn it around), it's not just hitting right now (this is what I think is the bigger problem as of now; the pitching was not terrible this time through the rotation, those games were very win-able). Everything has just bottomed out, and one game (hopefully soon) they'll just "have it" again.

I agree with you 100% OEO. It's no one in particular it's just called a funk. When things aren't going your way they just aren't. The question is, is when is someone going to come out and step it around. I mean Garland can only do so much we need a consistent performance from everyone right now, and the only two guys that are really being consistent are BA and Garland.

getonbckthr
07-25-2006, 01:45 AM
6th inning.

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 02:28 AM
1. Their defense has not been as good this year
2. The pitching has not been as good
3. The hitting is good but the problem is when the line up turns over, Uribe-Anderson-Podsednik
4. The bullpen, Cliff is gone, Montero, Tracy and Logan are in the minors now. IF Coop can fix MacDougal their bullpen is pretty darn good.

The team will be fine, Buehrle will be better, Garland got his act together, Contreras is fantastic, Vazquez and Freddy will chip in a quality start here and there. If they aquire Soriano the line up should look something like this.

1. Soriano
2. Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Pierzynski
7. Crede
8. Uribe
9. Podsednik

Chips
07-25-2006, 02:30 AM
1. Soriano
2. Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Pierzynski
7. Crede
8. Uribe
9. Podsednik

Where the hell is Anderson?

ilsox7
07-25-2006, 02:35 AM

Stathead likes to conveniently ignore BA's stats the last couple of months. Even with a bad June, BA is still hitting .263 since June 1. He's also hit .333 since July 1.

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 02:38 AM

Bench/AAA

Chips
07-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Stathead likes to conveniently ignore BA's stats the last couple of months. Even with a bad June, BA is still hitting .263 since June 1. He's also hit .333 since July 1.
I think it may be time to conveniently ignore him.

Anderson ****ing rocks.

EDIT: Definitely time.

Justagirl
07-25-2006, 02:39 AM
1. Their defense has not been as good this year

Aside from a few bad plays by Mac and your average understandable inaccuracies..care to elaborate?

?

Chips
07-25-2006, 02:41 AM
Bench/AAA

AAA? He has been killing the ball since early June and hitting .333 this month.

We'd put him on the bench in favor of "noodle arm?"

I think not.

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 02:41 AM

Its two months of mediocrity, he might be a decent player in a few years but their window of opportunity is now and he's not going to help them this year.

He's also not going to touch .333 the rest of the season, more like .260(which was expected.)

Also his defense is average-slightly above average.

I wouldn't mind a Podsednik/Anderson platoon though.

Chips
07-25-2006, 02:42 AM
?

He's not listed in Stathead's lineup.

Justagirl
07-25-2006, 02:43 AM
He's not listed in Stathead's lineup.
I know.. I was quoting you because it deserved a second mention lol

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 02:43 AM
Aside from a few bad plays by Mac and your average understandable inaccuracies..care to elaborate?

?

Uribe has made some bad throws, Crede was GREAT the first 2 months but I've noticed him missing a few balls he'd usually get to the past few months.

It's still good but last year the defense was fantastic

soxfan1983
07-25-2006, 02:52 AM
1. Soriano
2. Iguchi
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Pierzynski
7. Crede
8. Uribe
9. Podsednik

why not

1. Soriano
2. Podsednik
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Pierzynski
7. Iguchi
8. Crede
9. Uribe

then they would be able to utilize Iguchi's power more and use pods' ability to get the ball in play and move soriano around. and it would be like getting two guys on base almost everytime for the big sticks. but really... this team needs to get back to playing "smallball". they barely run anymore. the pitching will come around, im not worried about that at all. macdougal is an awesome pickup. hopefully with the addition of alomar/subtraction of widger, the staff will have some stability now. aj calls awesome games, but widger i noticed would be outside pitches everytime. and it seemed like he caught for garland A LOT at the beginning of the year and recently has been catching for buerhle and vasquez. garland shook off the dust finally and has had aj catching, but i think the damage has been done on buerhle and vasquez confidence-wise. and i think alomar will help cooper and aj restore that confidence.

GO SOX!!!!!

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 02:57 AM
why not

1. Soriano
2. Podsednik
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Pierzynski
7. Iguchi
8. Crede
9. Uribe

then they would be able to utilize Iguchi's power more and use pods' ability to get the ball in play and move soriano around. and it would be like getting two guys on base almost everytime for the big sticks. but really... this team needs to get back to playing "smallball". they barely run anymore. the pitching will come around, im not worried about that at all. macdougal is an awesome pickup. hopefully with the addition of alomar/subtraction of widger, the staff will have some stability now. aj calls awesome games, but widger i noticed would be outside pitches everytime. and it seemed like he caught for garland A LOT at the beginning of the year and recently has been catching for buerhle and vasquez. garland shook off the dust finally and has had aj catching, but i think the damage has been done on buerhle and vasquez confidence-wise. and i think alomar will help cooper and aj restore that confidence.

GO SOX!!!!!

That would also work, but need I remind you of Podsednik's bunting abilities?

Thats just my opinion, I'm sure Ozzie will put together a good one.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-25-2006, 03:22 AM
My signature identifies the problem. The lowest scoring team in baseball, the Chicago Cubs, averages 4 runs a game this season. The White Sox have averaged over 1/2 run less per game since the break. No staff will be able to overcome the worst offense in baseball. Randy Johnson had a 2.60 ERA and went 14-12. There is only so much a staff can do. Contreras pitched great on Thursday. Garcia pitched great on Saturday. Neither performance lead to a win.

When the offense turns it around, the White Sox will turn it around.

Law11
07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Our pitching has kept us in games inthe last week.
The lack of production from the middle of the lineup has killed us.

Big Jim batting .220 since the break. Brutal...

07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
Our pitching has kept us in games inthe last week.
The lack of production from the middle of the lineup has killed us.

Big Jim batting .220 since the break. Brutal...

Well said, outside of Bueherle, Jose lost a 2-1 game, Freddy lost a tough game on Sat....Javy, despite having a meltdown, should have had more run support...this is totally the hitting

Pierzynski 12
07-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Vazquez, Buehrle and Garcia are pathetic right now.

Hitmen77
07-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I would vote "All of the Above" if it were an option.

Right now, we're experiencing a deadly combination of poor pitching and "HR-or-nothing" hitting. Just looking at the Sox offensive lineup, it's just stunning that we aren't a wrecking crew against the rest of the AL. Amazing! Looking 1-9, especially the way Anderson has been hitting lately, the only weak link there is Uribe. Our guys should be clobbering the opposing pitchers into submission. Instead, everyone we face suddenly looks like a Cy Young candidate.

Even worse than hitting has been our pitching. We supposedly had the best 5 man rotation in the league, but all 5 of our starters have been inconsistent and it's hurt us. Buehrle's "slump" has really hurt. At least with pitching, I do see some glimmers of hope. Garland looks great lately. Contreras seems to be getting back on track. Garcia looked good last time out. Coop said he thinks Buehrle is getting back on track. Finally, the Sox need to do something about Vazquez - either limit him to 5 IP or replace him in the rotation with McCarthy. But, let's NOT just keep trotting him out for the 6th inning every start and not expect an implosion.

russ99
07-25-2006, 11:56 AM
The pitching has let us down quite a bit lately, but my biggest concern is a complete lack of focus when trailing in a game.

Look at the last few games - good patient at-bats, working the count, getting solid contact when winning; "oversqueezing" the bat, trying for homers, getting weak popups when trailing.

It's like the hitters are all thinking, "I'll save us!" when trailing. Ozzie needs to do something about that mindset.

INSox56
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Pitching....I doubt it. Hitting Hitting Hitting. HUGE problem, period. we're hitting .093 in the last 6 games in the 345. SUCK

Deuce
07-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Its two months of mediocrity...

"Dear StatHead21,

I completely agree. Two months is far too long to be in a slump, especially in a season when you have a shot at the championship.

Signed,
Paul Konerko"

Can I remind everyone that we are talking about our #9 hitter here. Two months of bad baseball by Anderson did nothing to ruin our first half record. Come to think of it, since B.A. began hitting, the rest of the team began sucking royally... I blame Anderson!!!

Deuce

slobes
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM
During this stretch of poorly played games, there are a couple that you could blame totally on situational hitting. However, the majority of the games we find ourselves trying to dig out of a 4 run deficiting by the end of the 5th. As good as a comeback team that we are, it'd be much easier if our starters gave us a chance to win on a daily basis.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 03:07 PM
"Dear StatHead21,

I completely agree. Two months is far too long to be in a slump, especially in a season when you have a shot at the championship.

Signed,
Paul Konerko"

Can I remind everyone that we are talking about our #9 hitter here. Two months of bad baseball by Anderson did nothing to ruin our first half record. Come to think of it, since B.A. began hitting, the rest of the team began sucking royally... I blame Anderson!!!

Deuce

Dear Deuce:

I completely agree. Anderson will be gone by gametime tonight.

Signed,
Kenny Williams

digdagdug23
07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Global warming

That and the whole nuclear fusion issue.

ShoelessJoeS
07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
My signature identifies the problem. The lowest scoring team in baseball, the Chicago Cubs, averages 4 runs a game this season. The White Sox have averaged over 1/2 run less per game since the break. No staff will be able to overcome the worst offense in baseball. Randy Johnson had a 2.60 ERA and went 14-12. There is only so much a staff can do. Contreras pitched great on Thursday. Garcia pitched great on Saturday. Neither performance lead to a win.

When the offense turns it around, the White Sox will turn it around.Hmmmm, can I change my vote?

Sxy Mofo
07-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Problem=slumping.

When you're slumping, nothing's going right. And nothing is going right, right now.

Tough times go away, tough teams don't.

Argalarga
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
The problem is both the hitting and pitching have taken a vacation at the same time. You can win without one or the other, but if both are gone, then you're dead in the water. They're leaving a ton of guys on base and have totally lost the ability to come from behind, even if it's a run. Of course, when you're giving up 6-7 runs a game, it doesn't matter anyway.

MDF3530
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd say it's a lack of firing on all cylinders.

SpartanSoxFan
07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I'd say it's the offensive execution. They aren't playing 'grinder' ball like they did last year. The table-setters aren't table-setting. The team waits around for a 3, 4, 6 run home run that never happens. Makes me want to :puking:

A. Cavatica
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I blame it on all the games we're losing. :redneck