PDA

View Full Version : Did Hawk-a-roo just leave the booth

Mots09
07-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Ackward finish of the game. DJ is brutal by himself.

slobes
07-24-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I hearing DJ's HR call, calling it a "four bagger'. Hawk musta just given up. Meh.

Mots09
07-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Hawk being a baby is kind of getting tiresome

sox1970
07-24-2006, 10:11 PM

So is this pitching staff.

Daver
07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
I hope he left for good.

Ken Harrelson is brutal.

TheDarkGundam
07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
So is all this losing.
Hawk's tired of it, we're all tired of it. No big deal.

skobabe8
07-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I hope he left for good.

Ken Harrelson is brutal.

All DJ, all the time? :o:

*shiver*

SluggersAway
07-24-2006, 10:17 PM
I think it was a bad batch of churros.

Ditka311
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM

*shiver*

Nah, DJ + Singleton = *mute*

Lip Man 1
07-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I think Hawk leaves at times when he is really angry for one simple reason...and it's understandable...he doesn't want to say something that could get him fired or suspended.

Lip

schmitty9800
07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
So is all this losing.
I want to hear the game announced, not my own frustration echoed back at me. Homerism sounds great when things are going well, it sucks when you have a guy who can't even put together coherent sentences after an opposing team's home run.

I like Hawk too...he's just really been awful lately.

It's Time
07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
:hawk
"We've got some problems"!

Deuce
07-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe he went to go "bone" the "sweet meat."

By the way, that little discussion between Hawk and DJ yesterday really freaked my wife out. She felt it was unduly foul to hear an old man use double entendres like that. I found it funny, but thinking back, it was kinda icky.

Deuce

southside rocks
07-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Meanwhile, in the radio booth, I don't think I've ever heard Farmer so angry. He got more and more clipped and terse, and was pretty much spitting out the plays by the 9th. I got the impression that he wanted to head down to the locker room and dump the buffet table and rant on the team.

ZombieRob
07-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Farmio is the the absolute worst..should stick to color man ..If Hawk is silent id rather have that then listen to the I'm Greater then everyone else Farmio makeing excuses for whats going on..I miss Rooney (sigh)

Mots09
07-24-2006, 10:41 PM
"This team has completely lost its focus."

-Lou Brown

SluggersAway
07-24-2006, 10:44 PM
By the way, that little discussion between Hawk and DJ yesterday really freaked my wife out. She felt it was unduly foul to hear an old man use double entendres like that. I found it funny, but thinking back, it was kinda icky.

Deuce

I thought it was pretty stupid/sick from the get-go, but they seemed to play it with such a straight face that the double entendres could've been missed by a lot of folks.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Southside:

I don't care if it's Farmer, Kenny or Roland Hemond. SOMEONE needs to turn over a few things in that locker room.

I just don't get it...how in the world can a team so talented look absolutely lost and they have been since that Sunday game with the Cubs.

It's going on near twenty games now...this is a pretty long 'slump.'

Lip

SluggersAway
07-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I think Hawk leaves at times when he is really angry for one simple reason...and it's understandable...he doesn't want to say something that could get him fired or suspended.

Lip

I think management should just let them rip when appropriate, it is not like the fans don't realize what is happening on the field. Okay, take it easy if you are the D-Rays. But, when you are the World Series Champions, a little honesty is necessary.

SluggersAway
07-24-2006, 10:50 PM
I just don't get it...how in the world can a team so talented look absolutely lost and they have been since that Sunday game with the Cubs...It's going on near twenty games now...this is a pretty long 'slump.'

Yesterday looked pretty good.

Jurr
07-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Yesterday looked pretty good.
Yesterday was an aberration. Just like Tigers losses.

monkeypants
07-24-2006, 11:00 PM

He certainly is the professional broadcaster, isn't he?

He's just as frustrated as the rest of us but it's also his job to announce the game no matter what happens. To be honest I'd rather not have him be our announcer because I think he's an egotistical know-it-all blowhard but when you're paid to do a job then you damn well better do it.

SluggersAway
07-24-2006, 11:04 PM
Yesterday was an aberration. Just like Tigers losses.

Time will tell.

stacksedwards
07-24-2006, 11:05 PM

-Lou Brown

We just need something to bring it all together.

Rachel Phellps will never let it happen

07-24-2006, 11:07 PM

*shiver*

I could care less if it was Alan Thicke and Bob Saget up there as long as we win....

Viva Medias B's
07-24-2006, 11:20 PM

Rachel Phellps will never let it happen

Every time we win, we peel a section.

Deuce
07-24-2006, 11:25 PM

Rachel Phellps will never let it happenWell then I guess there's only one thing left to do. Win the whole ****ing thing.

schmitty9800
07-24-2006, 11:30 PM
I could care less if it was Alan Thicke and Bob Saget up there as long as we win....Don't besmirch the good name of Bob Saget. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BfRJSmrQSDk&search=bob%20saget

Lip Man 1
07-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Sluggers / Monkey:

No one ever said Hawk was a professional broadcaster did they? By that I mean he was never trained for this position. He got the job back in the late 70's because he was a former player, outgoing and knew the game. That doesn't mean he's qualified to speak on it through a microphone as a play by play man. In fact he started with the Sox as the color analyst. Don Drysdale who was a trained broadcaster was the play by play guy.

I'm not knocking him by the way...today in professional sports you simply don't have the 'unbiased' opinion that you used to have. The days of Harry and Jimmy are long gone. They started to leave in the early 80's when teams not stations began to have say over who calls the games and what they say. Hawk is paid by the White Sox, not Comcast Sports Chicago. Big Difference!

BeefyD
07-25-2006, 12:27 AM
I've seen numerous occasions where Hawk just disappears. You can tell because of the dead silence between pitches... Then again, if I'm partnered with someone in a booth, and then suddenly I have to fill all of the time, I'd be like Harry back in the 70's and start drinking Falstaff....

NoShoesJoe
07-25-2006, 12:29 AM
it was kinda icky.

Deuce

Using the phrase "it was kinda icky" is well, kinda icky. :D:

oeo
07-25-2006, 12:32 AM
So is all this losing.

Nah, it's getting really annoying. I'm tired of it too, but don't let that effect the way you call the game. Ugh, just thinking about his whining lately is pissing me off.

markopat
07-25-2006, 12:33 AM

-Lou Brown

"I say we feed them a big ****burger"

-Lou Brown

BadBobbyJenks
07-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Actually, the whole reason the sox are not playing well is Hawk Harrelson.

Heave the Hawk now!
:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2006, 01:13 AM
...today in professional sports you simply don't have the 'unbiased' opinion that you used to have. The days of Harry and Jimmy are long gone. Harry and Jimmy were unbiased? Wow. Constantly ripping the team you work for is no more "unbiased" than constantly cheering for them.

Justagirl
07-25-2006, 01:14 AM
Hawks awesome. He's a sports announcer for a televised sport:
If youre looking for play by play announcement:

in Paducah, KY 920 am WMOK 30 mi. day/15 mi. night

in Rockford, IL 1440 am WROK 30 mi. day/ 1 mi. night

in Rochelle, IL 102.3 fm WRHL 15 mi. day

in Wilmington, IL 105.5 fm WYKT 15 mi. day

in Springfield, IL 1240 am WTAX 15 mi. day/15 mi. night

in Edwardsville, IL 880 am WINU 30 mi. day/1 mi. night

in Mattoon & Effingham, IL 96.9 fm WLBH 45 mi. day

in Mattoon, IL 1170 am WLBH 30 mi. day

in Rensselaer, IN 97.7 fm WLQI 15 mi. day

in Daleville/Anderson/Muncie, IN 1240 am WHBU 15 mi. day/15 mi. night

in Highland, IL 880 am WINU 30 mi. day/1 mi. night

in Decatur, IL 1050 am WDZ 15 mi. day/1 mi. night

in Galesburg, IL 1590 am WAIK 30 mi. day/1 mi. night

in Princeton, IL 1490 am WZOE 15 mi. day/15 mi. night

in Elkhart, IN 1460 am WKAM 30 mi. day/ 1 mi. night

in Dekalb, IL 1360 am WLBK 15 mi. day/ 1 mi. night

in Aurora, IL 1280 am WBIG 15 mi. day/1 mi. night

in Kalamazoo, MI 1660 am WQSN 45 mi. day/ 15 mi. night

in Kalamazoo, MI 1470 am WKLZ 15 mi. day/ 1 mi. night

I know there is a hispanic station that carries White Sox games in Spanish but I can't remember what station that is. Hope this helps.

StatHead21
07-25-2006, 01:20 AM

Lip

I bet he wanted to say what a lot of people said tonight

"Vazquez you SUCK"

kitekrazy
07-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Ackward finish of the game. DJ is brutal by himself.

Maybe Hawk had to go take a dump.

monkeypants
07-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Sluggers / Monkey:
No one ever said Hawk was a professional broadcaster did they? By that I mean he was never trained for this position. He got the job back in the late 70's because he was a former player, outgoing and knew the game. That doesn't mean he's qualified to speak on it through a microphone as a play by play man. In fact he started with the Sox as the color analyst. Don Drysdale who was a trained broadcaster was the play by play guy.

I'm not knocking him by the way...today in professional sports you simply don't have the 'unbiased' opinion that you used to have. The days of Harry and Jimmy are long gone. They started to leave in the early 80's when teams not stations began to have say over who calls the games and what they say. Hawk is paid by the White Sox, not Comcast Sports Chicago. Big Difference! I fully understand that Hawk is a shill for the White Sox and that he's not going to start biting the hand that feeds him. That still does not excuse the unprofessional behavior of just walking out/being silent while a game is going on. While it does give the viewer a break from the constant worshiping of Yaz, Drysdale and George Brett, it would be nice if he'd do his job. Continue doing the play by play, offer some insight into what is going on or what has gone on in the game but stop acting like a petulant child.

Law11
07-25-2006, 08:08 AM

Lip

I'd never last as an announcer. After one brutal game I'd have been
fired for tearing the team a new....

I do have to turn the mute button on once in a while. hawk can be brutal with his "where's that pitch" routine.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Southside:

I don't care if it's Farmer, Kenny or Roland Hemond. SOMEONE needs to turn over a few things in that locker room.

I just don't get it...how in the world can a team so talented look absolutely lost and they have been since that Sunday game with the Cubs.

It's going on near twenty games now...this is a pretty long 'slump.'

Lip

I agree with you -- they do look lost. They look like they have no confidence at all, and they don't look like they're having ANY fun. It's very disturbing to see. And it does date to that last game with the Cubs, when Buehrle got shelled so badly. What happened?!?! This is baffling, truly baffling.

I don't even care about the standings, I just want them to be themselves and play good baseball again! :(:

itsnotrequired
07-25-2006, 09:21 AM
Is it true that Hawk is a secret unlockable character in Wolfenstein 3D? Because I heard that he is and I choose to believe it.

Baby Fisk
07-25-2006, 09:27 AM
You could definitely hear some hurried, muffled sounds as Hawk abandoned the booth in the 9th. You could also tell that the Hawk bailed out because DJ immediately sounded nervous. I think it was some bad churros.

downstairs
07-25-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm not knocking him by the way...today in professional sports you simply don't have the 'unbiased' opinion that you used to have. The days of Harry and Jimmy are long gone.

I agree with your post, but I think "unbiased" is the wrong term to compare.

Harry and Jimmy were biased enough in their OWN opinion to have the damn manager and coach seek one of them out TO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THEM!

I think the DJs and Singletons of the world are completely company men. Everything is rosy enough, just put a smile on and every now and then mention what is going on in the game between meaningless banter.

Hawk, at least, tells us what he thinks as a biased fan.

SoxFan78
07-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Im glad Hawk left. Hes as frustrated as us Sox Fans. Frustrated because we know that this Sox team is playing WAY under the level they should be.

This is why I love hawk, he's one of us.

hawkjt
07-25-2006, 10:45 AM
with a power outage that hit my NW side neighborhood right at 7 oclock last nite I had the pleasure of listening to a whole game of Farmio and Single.

Maybe it was just the loss but by the end of the game I was thinking that there cannot be a worse pair in MLB.

They talk about the most nonsensical crap for most of the telecast -like what movies that Ed likes most, ed playing Pine Valley on Thurs., the heat in california, Star Trek, ect, ect ect.,

Chris is so raw -he is still bleeding, Ed has no direction. This was worse than the game itself, which is hard to imagine.

As bad as Hawk is when the sox are losing, him and dj are still light years better than the radio pair.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 10:49 AM
with a power outage that hit my NW side neighborhood right at 7 oclock last nite I had the pleasure of listening to a whole game of Farmio and Single.

Maybe it was just the loss but by the end of the game I was thinking that there cannot be a worse pair in MLB.

They talk about the most nonsensical crap for most of the telecast -like what movies that Ed likes most, ed playing Pine Valley on Thurs., the heat in california, Star Trek, ect, ect ect.,

Chris is so raw -he is still bleeding, Ed has no direction. This was worse than the game itself, which is hard to imagine.

As bad as Hawk is when the sox are losing, him and dj are still light years better than the radio pair.

And I think just the opposite. I can't stand to listen to Hawk, and when I turn on the TV to watch the game I turn off the sound and listen to Farmer and Singleton call it. (That 7-second delay is annoying.) I like their inane chit-chat back and forth; they seem much more comfortable with each other now than they were at the start of the season, and their personalities are part of the broadcast, which is always the case with radio.

To each his own, I guess.

EdHerman12
07-25-2006, 11:06 AM
Maybe Hawk had to go take a dump.

No doubt he probably took a golfing magazine with him as well.

GO SOX!

bayzbol44
07-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Hawk is horrible and always has been. I can't believe that he is not professional enough to stay on the broadcast long enough to finish it off. Isn't he the Play by Play announcer? Have you ever heard him call the play by play when the team is losing? This is one of the many reasons why I am a big Hawk hater.

Grow up Hawk. Last week, you just said the Tigers series was bigger for the fans and was no big deal in the big picture. Whats wrong Hawk? Your hiney(sp?) is getting a little tight?

Lip Man 1
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I can only speak for myself but I'd much rather listen to a broadcaster who has enough confidence in their ability to rip a club as opposed to 'everything is great'

Generally that broadcaster feels they are good enough that if they are fired they'll get another job someplace else.

It's called credibility... and Nellie I can play you tapes out of my library where Harry and Jimmy got genuinely excited (estatic) when the Sox did something good.

I get the feeling you didn't think they were good broadcasters and that is biasing your comments.

As a broadcaster I can tell you Harry (before his stroke) was an excellent broadcaster and Jimmy had the rare gift of insightful analysis. Sometimes the truth hurts. The Sox players, coaches and management from that time period were big boys...they could handle it.

Lip

regionsox73
07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Last year I think it was a Twins game during the slide... Konerko popped up with 2 out in the 9th and Hawk just disgustedly yelled "It will be Buehrle against Westbrook tomorrow!" before the ball was even caught. It is like he was in the cab back to the hotel before the high fives were even done.

THAT IS B.S.!

jdm2662
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Hawk has gotten worse and worse the last few years, and it's almost unbearable. He was great when I was 13, but not now. I wasn't old enough to remember him with Drysdale, but I heard they were top notch. Of course, I no longer have the option for radio since Farmer and Singleton are terrible as well. I'm almost inclined to have Joe Buck call the game (yikes, did I just write that???). He may be annoying, but at least he calls the game. Yes, Hawk needs to get out of the booth and just be a spokesperson for JR (you know, like he is already).

regionsox73
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Hawk is horrible and always has been. I can't believe that he is not professional enough to stay on the broadcast long enough to finish it off. Isn't he the Play by Play announcer? Have you ever heard him call the play by play when the team is losing? This is one of the many reasons why I am a big Hawk hater.

Grow up Hawk. Last week, you just said the Tigers series was bigger for the fans and was no big deal in the big picture. Whats wrong Hawk? Your hiney(sp?) is getting a little tight?

I wonder why Hawk never reads my emails about his days (literally) as GM when he ran out LaRussa (how has that gone for 20 years), got rid of Bobby Bonilla for a sack of baeballs, moved a HoF catcher to LF, etc.

HotelWhiteSox
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't really like Hawk. Yes man/kiss ass, while also acting like a baby when the team goes bad. It gets embarrassing when he has to have personal battles on the air to give the Sox more bad pub or when they have a guest from another team to point out that you are also a joke with the other broadcasters (A's guy basically pointing it out)

TomParrish79
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Personally I like Hawk, and I like the idea that this slump has him at the same level of frustration in the booth as we all have watching on tv or at the ballpark. Shows he bleeds black and white. The guy is a homer..never claimed to be otherwise he is overly excited when we win and super pissed when we lose..and after seeing broadcasters fired for being critical of a team that appears to be lifeless in the past in other organizations...i dont blame him for biting his tongue when it comes to criticizing the team.

digdagdug23
07-25-2006, 01:55 PM

Maybe we can lock up a trade with ESPN, Harold Reynolds for Hawk? Or is Reynolds DFA?

gjdodger
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Maybe we can lock up a trade with ESPN, Harold Reynolds for Hawk? Or is Reynolds DFA?

No need for a trade. Harold is now a free agent (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060725/ap_en_tv/bbo_espn_reynolds_2).

bludupree
07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
I hope he left for good.

Ken Harrelson is brutal.

Please explain

Bobbo35
07-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I am sorry, but I like Hawk as an announcer. He represents White Sox baseball. Why would you want a blowhole that does not have the passion that he has for White Sox baseball. Hearing someone like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver makes me want to throw up.

TDog
07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
I can only speak for myself but I'd much rather listen to a broadcaster who has enough confidence in their ability to rip a club as opposed to 'everything is great'

Generally that broadcaster feels they are good enough that if they are fired they'll get another job someplace else.

It's called credibility... and Nellie I can play you tapes out of my library where Harry and Jimmy got genuinely excited (estatic) when the Sox did something good.

I get the feeling you didn't think they were good broadcasters and that is biasing your comments.

As a broadcaster I can tell you Harry (before his stroke) was an excellent broadcaster and Jimmy had the rare gift of insightful analysis. Sometimes the truth hurts. The Sox players, coaches and management from that time period were big boys...they could handle it.

Lip

Harry Caray was a great announcer with the Cardinals. He grew up a Cardinals fan. He would have been a great announcer when he came to the White Sox if he weren't such an ugly person who personally attacked players. Jimmy Piersall couldn't do play-by-play, which thankfully he wasn't required to do often. He also was an offensive person at times. Some fans liked that, I know. It wasn't that these two were particularly honest or insightful, although sometimes they were right. They were full of themselves. The incidents with the players and coaches were not limited to Harry Caray and Bill Melton going at it in an elevator or Jimmy Piersall getting into a physical altercation with Art Kusnyer.

Harry Caray and Bob Waller were better than Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall. Bob Waller was honest, but he wasn't petty and vindictive. Teamed with Jimmy Piersall, Harry Caray crossed the line and became clearly unprofessional.

He signed for bigger money with the Cubs, and oddly enough he wasn't nearly as "honest," if that's what you want to call it.

I don't like Ken Harrelson either. I would watch him do games if I could, but I know long-time Sox fans who don't watch games on television because they can't stand listening to Harrelson.

MsSoxVixen22
07-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Personally I like Hawk, and I like the idea that this slump has him at the same level of frustration in the booth as we all have watching on tv or at the ballpark. Shows he bleeds black and white. The guy is a homer..never claimed to be otherwise he is overly excited when we win and super pissed when we lose..and after seeing broadcasters fired for being critical of a team that appears to be lifeless in the past in other organizations...i dont blame him for biting his tongue when it comes to criticizing the team.

Well said! And I agree with you 100%!

WSox597
07-25-2006, 04:15 PM
originally posted by Daver:
I hope he left for good.
Ken Harrelson is brutal.

I agree, it's embarassing to listen to him. The way he butchers the language gets to me. He's hard to understand when he's in Hawk mode. I don't mind the homer stuff too much, he is the White Sox announcer after all. But the other stuff does get old.

"bolingbrook bounce" "chopper two hopper" "matt abaticola" "catbird seat" "cinch it up and hunker down" "strap it down" etc. Every single game! Get some new material already.

I've worked with guys from the deep, deep south and they are easier to understand.

cbotnyse
07-25-2006, 05:21 PM
I like Hawk.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2006, 08:14 PM
I agree, it's embarassing to listen to him. The way he butchers the language gets to me. He's hard to understand when he's in Hawk mode. I don't mind the homer stuff too much, he is the White Sox announcer after all. But the other stuff does get old.

"bolingbrook bounce" "chopper two hopper" "matt abaticola" "catbird seat" "cinch it up and hunker down" "strap it down" etc. Every single game! Get some new material already.

I've worked with guys from the deep, deep south and they are easier to understand.Yeah, Harry never said the same stuff over and over. "Paaahhped it up" "That wouldn't be a homerun in a phone booth" "It might be, it could be, it is"

Brian26
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
got rid of Bobby Bonilla for a sack of baeballs

Bag of balls=Jose DeLeon?

At least Larry Himes was able to parlay Jose DeLeon into a pretty successful six-year run with Lance Johnson in CF.

SheGone
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Nah, DJ + Singleton = *mute*

Can you imagine Hawk + Farmer?

That would last about half an inning before they kill each other but I'm sure it would be entertaining!

whitesoxwilkes
07-25-2006, 09:19 PM
Can you imagine Hawk + Farmer?

That would last about half an inning before they kill each other but I'm sure it would be entertaining!
They can't fit in the same booth..egos are too big.

I never heard Hawk say "Bolingbrook Bounce" before tonight (and I've watched just about every game the past 4 years)...did I miss something?

I'm a big Hawk fan, but an even bigger Farmer fan.

cbotnyse
07-25-2006, 09:20 PM
I really dont understand all of the Hawk hate. The guy is the biggest homer, diehard fan I have ever heard speak. What is not to like?:?:

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I really dont understand all of the Hawk hate. The guy is the biggest homer, diehard fan I have ever heard speak. What is not to like?:?:Hawk hating is trendy.

HotelWhiteSox
07-25-2006, 09:52 PM
I really dont understand all of the Hawk hate. The guy is the biggest homer, diehard fan I have ever heard speak. What is not to like?:?:

Isn't he the same guy who didn't even come to or watch some of the playoff games. I'd like to see his stance on the Sox if the $ stopped coming his way. He got fired before for criticizing so now he would defend JR or anyone he hires if they would stab someone in the chest. Even if he is a true fan, you are being paid to be a proffesional. After growing out of my kid stage, I realize how embarrassing it is when you have the announcer yelling stretch to the damn baseball. And even when I liked Hawk, I hated when he'd get all silent and crabby when the Sox were going bad, it's like he wants me to turn off the TV because he doesn't want to do his job

cbotnyse
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Isn't he the same guy who didn't even come to or watch some of the playoff games. I'd like to see his stance on the Sox if the $ stopped coming his way. He got fired before for criticizing so now he would defend JR or anyone he hires if they would stab someone in the chest. Even if he is a true fan, you are being paid to be a proffesional. After growing out of my kid stage, I realize how embarrassing it is when you have the announcer yelling stretch to the damn baseball. And even when I liked Hawk, I hated when he'd get all silent and crabby when the Sox were going bad, it's like he wants me to turn off the TV because he doesn't want to do his jobDoes Hawk's stretch call really bother you? I am usually yelling "get outta here" or something like that. Its just his personality, you need one to be in a booth. (i.e., Joe Buck)

and when the Sox are going bad how would you rather have Hawk act? I am crabby and silent too, he is just echoing my thoughts.

Brian26
07-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Hawk hating is trendy.

After watching some of the generic announcers on the Extra Innings package, I only appreciate Hawk more.

jdm2662
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Does Hawk's stretch call really bother you? I am usually yelling "get outta here" or something like that. Its just his personality, you need one to be in a booth. (i.e., Joe Buck)

and when the Sox are going bad how would you rather have Hawk act? I am crabby and silent too, he is just echoing my thoughts.

His job is to do play by play. When I was 13, I thought he was great. Now that I'm in the real world, I find it bad that he doesn't show professionalism. I don't care for my job and there are people I work with that can't stand what they are doing. However, we are still professional about our work and get it done. When I'm on a phone call that doesn't go the way I want to, I can't get up during it or act like a crab ass. I have to get the issue resolved. Hawk has great knowledge of the game, but it doesn't equate to a quality play by play guy.

peeonwrigley
07-25-2006, 10:20 PM

Seriously... when the Sox are going badly I want silence. If the Sox had someone like Chip Carey trying to send his rays of sunshine up my ass as the team falls back to the pack I would be even more upset.

bludupree
07-26-2006, 08:46 AM
His job is to do play by play. When I was 13, I thought he was great. Now that I'm in the real world, I find it bad that he doesn't show professionalism. I don't care for my job and there are people I work with that can't stand what they are doing. However, we are still professional about our work and get it done. When I'm on a phone call that doesn't go the way I want to, I can't get up during it or act like a crab ass. I have to get the issue resolved. Hawk has great knowledge of the game, but it doesn't equate to a quality play by play guy.

You ever notice that corporate america and real world jobs are slightly different than baseball? Could Ozzie act like he does if he were a manager in a normal company? What if Ozzie got naked and ran around in an office building like he has done countless number of times in the clubhouse throughout his career? Hawk is a White Sox employee, not an ESPN lackee. You should be proud that he gets pissed when we suck. It means he is a fan of baseball and not some lame-ass trying to make Sunday night baseball.

AngryCollins
07-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I never liked Hawk. His little witticisms are as inane as Dan Rather's.

That said, in the game nowadays the ownership of any baseball franchise is much less tolerant of criticism of the team. The money is too big.

Actually, I would like it if we got Harold Reynolds. Just keep him away from the female staff.

monkeypants
07-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Seriously... when the Sox are going badly I want silence. If the Sox had someone like Chip Carey trying to send his rays of sunshine up my ass as the team falls back to the pack I would be even more upset. Seriously... when the Sox are going badly, I still want my announcers to do their jobs.

This doesn't need to involve having sunshine blown up my ass. It does involve doing play by play when you are the play by play announcer. Adding some insight into the game and what happened would also be a nice quality. I'm not a big fan of Farmio either but even when things are going poorly he still does his job. He even offers insight on the game between his ramblings on his golf game and Notre Dame.

I do like Hawk's enthusiasm for the team and many of his sayings but it's an embarrassment when he acts like a four year old child that doesn't get his way.

MadetoOrta
07-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Gee we stink right now so ..... let's take it out on Hawk? "He's a homer?" So am I! "He's pissed at how the Sox are playing!" So am I! He's frustrated because he wants to tell it like it is and he can't. As a fan and customer, I have the unfettered right to tell it like it is and - right now - it aint pretty. I find his passion for the Sox refreshing. The fact that people around the country are annoyed by him make his stature grow in my eyes. Lay off Hawk and focus your attention on where it belongs - underacheiving players.

miker
07-26-2006, 10:01 AM
He certainly is the professional broadcaster, isn't he?

He's just as frustrated as the rest of us but it's also his job to announce the game no matter what happens. To be honest I'd rather not have him be our announcer because I think he's an egotistical know-it-all blowhard but when you're paid to do a job then you damn well better do it.

I'm not taking you on, but simply playing Devil's Advocate: would you rather have a Costas or a Buck Jr. who makes having your team win sound like the most dissapointing thing of all time?

PKalltheway
07-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Gee we stink right now so ..... let's take it out on Hawk? "He's a homer?" So am I! "He's pissed at how the Sox are playing!" So am I! He's frustrated because he wants to tell it like it is and he can't.
Yeah, I know, what's with all the hate towards Hawk? I know there are people on here who hate him, but geez, it seems like it has multiplied tenfold since the Sox are in a slump. I enjoy listening to Hawk call games. He's entertaining. I would take him calling Sox games over somebody like Joe Buck anyday of the week. I don't need a generic announcer calling the Sox. I want someone who has just as much passion for the team as I do calling the games. If your preference is a bland generic announcer, so be it. If you lived in Cincinnati and had to be subjected to the Reds' tv guys, George Grande, and Chris Welsh every night like I do, you would like the Hawk too. Or wait a minute, maybe some people on here want those boring-ass announcers calling Sox games?:?:

:hawk YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOARD, YEEESSSSS!!!!!

DaveGusinSeattle
07-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Agree. Hawk means you're watching a Sox broadcast.
He is the defintion of a Homer. ...I don't care...
Try watching Extra Innings for some lame announcers....that's how I watch the Sox here in the NorthWest...try listening to Yankees or Texas or Minnesota announcers and you will see what you could have. I have to watch other team's boring persons instead of WGN/WCIU Sox broadcasts.

Would you rather have smily slaphappy [a-la Cubs variety] announcers?
--I don't think so...

Let's shake this monkey off our backs...
:dtroll: or is it a monster? :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Scottzilla
07-27-2006, 01:19 PM
I grew up with hawk and wimpy, so to me that is perfection when it comes to a pbp team. i dont care if they didn't get along behind the scenes. I don't care if hawk didnt hold an elevator for you uncles cousins brothers sisters.
every local announcer is a homer. they do not shout there trademark call when the opposing team hits a hr. maybe hawk is just better at it. and if he only does it for the money than he is REAllY good!

WSox597
07-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Harry never said the same stuff over and over.

What does he have to do with Hawk? Harry was pretty bad, I didn't realize how bad until he went north. Hawk is bad in a different way than Caray.

If backed into a corner, I would pick Hawk over Caray hands down. That doesn't mean I like Harrelson, it's just how pathetic Caray was.

Hawk was pretty good when with Drysdale, not so good since.

Baby Fisk
07-28-2006, 05:31 AM
After watching some of the generic announcers on the Extra Innings package, I only appreciate Hawk more.
If everyone here got to spend one month listening to the announcers for Cleveland, Kansas City, Texas, Anaheim, Toronto, etc., Hawk would never be disparaged here again. He is unique and precious and ka-razy like your favourite uncle and long may he reign.