PDA

View Full Version : Does Greg Walker deserve any blame?

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Many of the Sox hitters have been swinging for the fences lately. This all-or nothing approach has resulted in some solo homers, but lots of pop-ups and strikeouts and as a result, a lower team OBP.

At the same time, when they do have runners on base, the Sox have failed miserably to "get them over and get them in."

The hitters certainly deserve criticism for swinging for five-run homers, and I know that the hitting coach can't go up the plate with the hitters.

Still, does Greg Walker deserve any blame? Is it possible he's just failing to get through to the hitters? Or has he not been coaching them well lately?

:?:

HartmanSox
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I really don't know what he's telling these guys, but it seems that every one of them are swinging for the fences. Except for Uribe, he's done that most of his career, but that's besides the point.

It's almost like the slump that you get after being in the home run derby.

JB98
07-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Many of the Sox hitters have been swinging for the fences lately. This all-or nothing approach has resulted in some solo homers, but lots of pop-ups and strikeouts and as a result, a lower team OBP.

At the same time, when they do have runners on base, the Sox have failed miserably to "get them over and get them in."

The hitters certainly deserve criticism for swinging for five-run homers, and I know that the hitting coach can't go up the plate with the hitters.

Still, does Greg Walker deserve any blame? Is it possible he's just failing to get through to the hitters? Or has he not been coaching them well lately?

:?:

I don't think so. This is a just team-wide slump. We went through something similar last year, and eventually, we came out of it.

Grzegorz
07-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Still, does Greg Walker deserve any blame?

I'll answer with an emphatic no!

Ever heard of personal accountability?

Repeat after me:
Pitching is the problem...

BainesHOF
07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Do you actually think Walker tells the hitters to go up there swinging for the fences?

SOXandILLINI
07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
please!

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Repeat after me:

Agreed
Agreed
Agreed

Pitching is the BIGGEST problem. But since Friday, July 7 (a span in which the Sox are 3-9), the Sox have scored 2, 6, 6, 5, 3, 4, 7, 2, 1, 3, 1 and 5 runs, for an average of 3.33 runs per game. Even the 2005 staff didn't have a 3.33 team ERA. Better execution on offense - moving runners over and sacrificing them in - could have gotten the Sox about five more wins during that stretch (games 1 & 3 v. NY, games 2 & 3 v. Detroit and game 2 v. Texas all were two-run or one-run losses in which the Sox failed countless times to execute anything other than popups, strikeouts and GIDPs on offense). Last year the Sox would have won those five games.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Do you actually think Walker tells the hitters to go up there swinging for the fences?

No, I think he tells them not to (at least he had better tell them not to). But I think his advice is not getting through to the thick-headed among them.

JB98
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Agreed
Agreed
Agreed

Pitching is the BIGGEST problem. But since Friday, July 7 (a span in which the Sox are 3-9), the Sox have scored 2, 6, 6, 5, 3, 4, 7, 2, 1, 3, 1 and 5 runs, for an average of 3.33 runs per game. Even the 2005 staff didn't have a 3.33 team ERA. Better execution on offense - moving runners over and sacrificing them in - could have gotten the Sox about five more wins during that stretch (games 1 & 3 v. NY, games 2 & 3 v. Detroit and game 2 v. Texas all were two-run or one-run losses in which the Sox failed countless times to execute anything other than popups, strikeouts and GIDPs on offense). Last year the Sox would have won those five games.

The final game in Detroit and the second game against Texas were lost because of poor offense. But offense will ebb and flow during the season. They are struggling now, but they'll get going again. We need that pitching to be our base.

JermaineDye05
07-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Agreed
Agreed
Agreed

agreed pitching is the main problem but our hitting with riscp lately has been awful I don't know if its tired bats or what but since the allstar break we've been pitiful and some of the pitchers we've been facing havent even been that good

southside rocks
07-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't think so. This is a just team-wide slump. We went through something similar last year, and eventually, we came out of it.
I think it's pretty normal for a slumping player to press, and swing harder in an effort to break the slump and get a hit. That doesn't have anything to do with Greg Walker ... after all, a month ago when all these guys were swinging and connecting, Walker was a genius. :tongue:

I'm reading some Tom Verducci pieces (to escape from the current reality that is the White Sox) and in a piece on Greg Maddux, written in 2004, Mark Prior says about Maddux, "He's helped me tremendously. I've always gone harder whenever I've geen in trouble. He's got me thinking, go softer when I'm in trouble. I never thought that way before."

I think that batters are pretty much the same. Probably the best way to get out of a hitting slump is to start bunting for base hits. Unfortunately, this crew doesn't bunt well, so the slump continues, for the moment.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
some of the pitchers we've been facing havent even been that good

Wasdin and Koronka aren't even "good." It's despicable that these two journeyman could make the supposed (and statistically) best offense in the AL look like a bunch of minor leaguers.

JB98
07-24-2006, 11:01 PM
I think it's pretty normal for a slumping player to press, and swing harder in an effort to break the slump and get a hit. That doesn't have anything to do with Greg Walker ... after all, a month ago when all these guys were swinging and connecting, Walker was a genius. :tongue:

I'm reading some Tom Verducci pieces (to escape from the current reality that is the White Sox) and in a piece on Greg Maddux, written in 2004, Mark Prior says about Maddux, "He's helped me tremendously. I've always gone harder whenever I've geen in trouble. He's got me thinking, go softer when I'm in trouble. I never thought that way before."

I think that batters are pretty much the same. Probably the best way to get out of a hitting slump is to start bunting for base hits. Unfortunately, this crew doesn't bunt well, so the slump continues, for the moment.

You pretty much nailed it. Look at the body language of these players. They are pressing. They're hanging their heads after pop-ups. Everyone is trying to do too much. As veteran players, they need to draw on their experience.

Frater Perdurabo
07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
You pretty much nailed it. Look at the body language of these players. They are pressing. They're hanging their heads after pop-ups. Everyone is trying to do too much. As veteran players, they need to draw on their experience.

And their coaches - especially the coach responsible for coaching the hitters - needs to make sure the hitters maintain a healthy mental approach to hitting, make sure none of them are making any mechanical mistakes, and make sure their approach at the plate is appropriate for the situation (i.e., not swinging for the five-run homer).

JB98
07-24-2006, 11:05 PM
And their coaches - especially the coach responsible for coaching the hitters - needs to make sure the hitters maintain a healthy mental approach to hitting, make sure none of them are making any mechanical mistakes, and make sure their approach at the plate is appropriate for the situation (i.e., not swinging for the five-run homer).

Walker might be doing just that. We don't know.