PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate the Alomar and MacDougal acquistions?

miker
07-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Sandy was a good catcher...years ago. Obviously KW thinks Alomar still has something to give.

MacDougal (and correct me if I'm wrong) was highly-regarded but never met his potential.

They both have a history of injuries.

I think we are taking a chance...but it is a chance that had to be taken if the Sox are to repeat.

What do you think?

StatHead21
07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
The Alomar move is irrelivent, he's a back up catcher he's not gonna hurt/help them.

MacDougal could be a gem if Coop can work his magic.

bluestar
07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I think there is very little risk involved, so the Sox aren't taking a huge chance with either acquisition. If they both wind up injured, the Sox haven't given up a lot to get them. If either or both plays a key role for the Sox down the stretch, then the Sox have acquired a key component without giving up a lot.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
We took a chance with Thome, look how that turned out. I'm confident in both.

salty99
07-24-2006, 04:22 PM
The Alomar move is irrelivent, he's a back up catcher he's not gonna hurt/help them.

MacDougal could be a gem if Coop can work his magic.

This is not true. Alomar will bring alot to this clubhouse. He is a clutch hitter who can bunt and will be a calming influence on Buehrle.

Baby Fisk
07-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Alomar is there to pinch hit and give AJ some days off. He's a seasoned rental for the playoff drive.

MacDougal over Politte? No contest.

Rating the deals, since they are both upgrades over existing players, Kenny scores "A"s again. Yeah, the prospects may turn into studs, but these deals are about 2006, not 2010.

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
This is not true. Alomar will bring alot to this clubhouse. He is a clutch hitter who can bunt and will be a calming influence on Buehrle.

You know it. This move was for Burls.

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Alomar is there to pinch hit and give AJ some days off. He's a seasoned rental for the playoff drive.

MacDougal over Politte? No contest.

Rating the deals, since they are both upgrades over existing players, Kenny scores "A"s again. Yeah, the prospects may turn into studs, but these deals are about 2006, not 2010.
Supposedly Lumsden may be major-league ready in 2007/2008...
That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the Alomar trade, because I thought the Sox were going to get a backup catcher that possessed some sort of throwing arm.
That being said AGAIN, it's just a backup catcher, the Sox didn't give up much, and Alomar knows a lot of the Sox players.

MacDougal is a good move. Another power pitcher with closing experience in the Sox bullpen, and a guy who can close in a pinch if Bobby is tired out. From what I've read on Lumsden, he's going to be quite good (provided he doesn't pull a MacDougal and miss another year), but he didn't fit into the Sox system at this point in time.

thomas35forever
07-24-2006, 04:26 PM
It's obvious Sandy wants to coach here in the near future. I'm confident McDougal will give us his all. Great moves by KW.

StatHead21
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Buehrle had his best season last year, catchers aren't his problem.

Buehrle's struggles are his fault.

Widger also brought a lot to the clubhouse.

As long as Sandy doesn't take PT away from AJ this move is irrelivant.

TDog
Sandy was a good catcher...years ago. Obviously KW thinks Alomar still has something to give.

MacDougal (and correct me if I'm wrong) was highly-regarded but never met his potential.

I think we are taking a chance...but it is a chance that had to be taken if the Sox are to repeat.

What do you think?

Alomar is a backup catcher. In limited action with the Dodgers he was hitting. Limited action is what he'll see with the Sox. The coaches, apparently, have been asking Williams to acquire him, so they have to be happy with the defensive aspects of his game. I don't know if he can throw out baserunners, but AJ isn't great in that category.

MacDougal seems to be back with a good arm. Often young and emerging pitchers are better bets than veterans for the bullpen where many pitchers are only temporarily successful. He won't be pitching more than an inning or two at a time. Ideally, the Sox will know what they have and will get the most out of him. They didn't give up any Major League players for either of these guys. They only had to replace their backup catcher and the last guy in their bullpen.

The next time Sean Tracy comes up to the Sox, he probably won't want to see Texas roll around on the schedule.

Chicken Dinner
Widger wasn't cutting it so that's definately an improvement. I also think you might see Sandy on the coaching staff next year.....we'll see. Time will tell on MacDougal. Not very expensive.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Mac could be a nice addition if he's healthy.

Lip

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Who knows? Maybe Alomar could help Coop fix Vazquez. He has alot of baseball knowledge.

Risk
07-24-2006, 04:31 PM
If McDougal is healthy, I think it's a tremendous move.

The Alomar deal seems like a nothing move to me.

Risk

SouthSide_HitMen
07-24-2006, 04:31 PM
On a scale of one - five:

I give the Alomar deal a :gulp: :gulp: & 1/2 :gulp:

I give the McDougal deal a :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

Methinks Kenny is not close to being done.

:gulp:

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
I just hope the MacDougal trade does not turn out to result in karma for the Mike Sirotka deal.

http://home.att.ne.jp/air/mlb/mlbnpb/sirotka.jpg

ClaudelSleptHere
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
what is this thing charma?

StatHead21
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Thornton 97 mph
MacDougal 98 mph (Thats where he was at last time I saw him pitch)
Jenks 99 mph

Thats some pretty nasty stuff in the late innings.

100 Year Itch
07-24-2006, 04:40 PM
In terms of the level of the impact of the trades, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 equating to "greatest impact", I rate the moves a 2 or 3.

Neither trade greatly alters the tone of the current roster in a negative way but if lucky could easily provide vetern, backstop leadership and right-handed heat to burn some middle innings. Maybe McDougal is Sandy's guy?

Slats
07-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Alomar 20/62 avg .323 obp .323 slg .403
Widger 14/76 avg .184 obp .264 slg .263

BadBobbyJenks
07-24-2006, 04:46 PM
You got to be willing to take on risky situations for a big payout and KW has never been afraid of it. Im all for both trades, especially Macdougal. The pen is officially set.

Now dont trade B mac for soriano, because that would be a terrible decision IMO

miker
07-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Well all of the posts have been quite positive (and nobody has accused me of being a dark cloud!) Yes, there is a risk, but I'm comfortable that Alomar and MacDougal will be key pieces of the puzzle for the rest of '06.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
It's obvious Sandy wants to coach here in the near future. I'm confident McDougal will give us his all. Great moves by KW.

Third base coach I hope!:rolleyes:

Baby Fisk
07-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Third base coach I hope!:rolleyes:
Heh heh. Not a fan of The Windmill? :redneck

JB98
07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
If Sandy gets one big hit for this team, he'll have exceeded my expectations. Hopefully, he'll be OK defensively.

MacDougal, meh, the jury's out. Can he stay healthy?

ma-gaga
07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Rating the deals, since they are both upgrades over existing players, Kenny scores "A"s again.

I'd give him a good solid "B" on MacDougal, and a "C+" on Alomar. MacDougal is a solid upgrade, but Alomar is only AJ insurance and hopefullly only a 4-5 plate appearances a week player.

But these aren't "impact" players. They are solid good players which will help. But I'll save my "A" grade for Soriano or Tejada.

:cool:

Baby Fisk
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
But I'll save my "A" grade for Soriano or Tejada.

Blech, no thank you. I say the Sox already have the team they need, now they just need to PRODUCE.

SCarolina_Ron
07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Supposedly Lumsden may be major-league ready in 2007/2008...
That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the Alomar trade, because I thought the Sox were going to get a backup catcher that possessed some sort of throwing arm.
That being said AGAIN, it's just a backup catcher, the Sox didn't give up much, and Alomar knows a lot of the Sox players.

MacDougal is a good move. Another power pitcher with closing experience in the Sox bullpen, and a guy who can close in a pinch if Bobby is tired out. From what I've read on Lumsden, he's going to be quite good (provided he doesn't pull a MacDougal and miss another year), but he didn't fit into the Sox system at this point in time.

A catcher with the best throwing arm in baseball isn't going to help with our pitcher's slow windups and seeming lack of concern for runners.

The trades while not blockbusters are good. No downside and lots of potential upside for 2006.

SABRSox
07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
McDougal Deal - B+ (would have been an 'A' if we only gave up Lumsden and not Cortes)

Alomar Deal - INC. (I want to see the effect on Buehrle first.)

ND_Sox_Fan
07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
With as tired as AJ has looked lately (especially yesterday) - the move to get anything close to compotent as a back-up, not to mention extra bench coach is a big help.

MacDougal - while he doesn't have any playoff or pressure experience, neither does any minor league talent we would bring up. I am a big fan of this one.

Unregistered
07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
I was thinking the other day that we needed more guys we can call "Mac" on the team. Now if we can figure out how the get Jim McMahon and both Jack & Andie McDowell over here, we'd be unstoppable in at least ONE category...

DSpivack
07-24-2006, 06:02 PM
I was thinking the other day that we needed more guys we can call "Mac" on the team. Now if we can figure out how the get Jim McMahon and both Jack & Andie McDowell over here, we'd be unstoppable in at least ONE category...

Good thing we're not trading McCarthy.

Bobbo35
07-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I have great respect for Alomar and I think he will be great for the team in its current situation. McDougal is a great set-up man when healthy and I think could be the answer for the Sox Bullpen. Great moves by KW.

rowand33
07-24-2006, 10:57 PM
Thornton 97 mph
MacDougal 98 mph (Thats where he was at last time I saw him pitch)
Jenks 99 mph

Thats some pretty nasty stuff in the late innings.

agreed.

I think Mac gives us one of the best bullpens in the league.

Jenks
Thornton
MacDougal
Cotts
BMac
Riske

that's a pretty strong pen, possibly better than the bullpen we went into the playoffs with last season.

The Dude
07-25-2006, 12:19 AM

What do you think?
They are moves that needed to be done. We basically are replacing Cliff with Mac and Widger with Alomar. No brainers.