PDA

View Full Version : *Official* MacDougal to Sox

MadetoOrta
07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
He gone to KC for Mike MacDougall per ESPN.

DaleJRFan
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
He gone to KC for Mike MacDougall per ESPN.

:o: Holy crap! I hope this is true.

whitesoxfan1986
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
Crap. I really liked this kid and thought he could be a star. Lefty with a 94-96 mph fastball and good curve and slider. KW you overpaid for a reliever buddy.
If Brandon and Broadway go then who do we have left for pitching prospects? noone!

MagicNumber22
07-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Can someone confirm this or is it a rumor?

oeo
07-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Can someone confirm this or is it a rumor?
This, about 25 minutes ago, says they were very close...could Soriano be coming next?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494

The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6666) from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.

Unregistered
07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
I found this at 2:30. Nothing that says "done deal," though.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=3211&line=186183&spln=1

CHISOXFAN13
07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Crap. I really liked this kid and thought he could be a star. Lefty with a 94-96 mph fastball and good curve and slider. KW you overpaid for a reliever buddy.
If Brandon and Broadway go then who do we have left for pitching prospects? noone!

McDougal has had success as a closer on a miserable team and helps a bullpen that has struggled throughout the year. If he stays healthy, and he's looked great in the four innings since returning, then he is one hell of an eighth inning guy. Pen is starting to take shape.

Lumsden helps when? Overpaid? Hardly.

Successful teams trade prospects for proven talent that helps them win now. This is a perfect trade for both teams.

DaleJRFan
07-24-2006, 03:49 PM
The more I think about it...

MacDougal was out almost all of 2004 and so far has thrown 4 innings in 06. His career WHIP is close to 2, giving up 172 hits in 162 IP with a whole bunch of walks.

Not too sure this guy is the answer. But, I'm fairly certain KW and his crack staff of baseball experts know more than me.

The Wimperoo
07-24-2006, 03:59 PM
An oft-injured pitcher who hasn't been very good when healthy for one of the 2 or 3 real pitching prospects in the minors. Sounds like a great deal.

kevingrt
07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Bruce Levine reports on ESPN Radio 1000 at 3:10

MacDougal for RP Cortez and RP Lumpdsen

PS: Not like anyone likes Levine here. But...

ChiSoxGirl
PER LEVINE ON AM 1000: Pitchers Lumsden & Cortez for MacDougall, who will take over the Politte setup role.

chisoxwschamps05
According to Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000, the White Sox have acquired Mike MacDougal for 2 minor league pitchers.

peeonwrigley
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Solid.

SCR reported, too.

CHIsoxNation
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM
The SCORE is reporting this as a done deal as well.

rdwj
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
...for 2 prospects. Nice as long as the prospects aren't A list

Edit: Score didn't report the prospects yet - I see Levine did. Not bad if true

BanditJimmy
07-24-2006, 04:16 PM
good move.

I am all for trading prospects, because "prospects" is what they are. Prospects are for teams like the D-Rays, Marlins, Pirates to develop. Teams looking to win championships today make these type of moves.

Matt Thornton was a complete suck-fest before getting here, and look at him now.

DickAllen72
WSCR just broke in with news that Sox reportedly traded two prospects for MacDougal. No names provided.

itsnotrequired
Works for me.

White Sox Randy
THIS is a very good deal for the White Sox. McDougal is good.

MagicNumber22
07-24-2006, 04:17 PM
MacDougall just came off the 60-Day DL. If KW wants him, there's a reason. I never liked this guy too much, but if Coop can work his magic (i.e. Matt Thornton), our bullpen woes are all but cured. For now--good pickup!

kevingrt
...for 2 prospects. Nice as long as the prospects aren't A list

Supposeably Lumpsden is a quality southpaw relief pitcher. Who knows. I liked MacDougal two years ago, and if he can match the stuff he had in '04 now, that would greatly help the Sox pen. But he is coming off injury so we will see.

salty99
But who's roster spot is he taking? HMmmmmmmmm

Jjav829
Ok, I would have liked someone better, but realistically, this is about as good as it gets considering the price.

Solid move.

DickAllen72
07-24-2006, 04:18 PM
THIS is a very good deal for the White Sox. McDougal is good.

Depends on who Sox had to give. Is he worth Lumsdrn plus another prospect???

Jjav829

I would think Tracey, at least temporarily.

DaleJRFan

Sean Tracey. He Gawn...

kevingrt

Are you trying to infer something salty. Because I hope you are wrong.

Hopefully Mr Tracey's he is taking.

BNLSox
07-24-2006, 04:19 PM
But its not Wednesday! :mad:

DaleJRFan
07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Is this official, or yet another "Shoulda been started in Whats the Score" thread???

Jjav829
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Is this official, or yet another "Shoulda been started in Whats the Score" thread???

Two sources confirming. Good enough.

salty99
Are you trying to infer something salty. Because I hope you are wrong.

Hopefully Mr Tracey's he is taking.

No just wondering that's all. Has Tracey even pitched since he was recalled anyway?

rdwj

The two major sports stations are reporting it, so it's as "official" as it can be at the moment

harwar
The guy has "closer" stuff if healthy and considering that EVERYONE is looking for bullpen help i like it.
Anyway,after last year i'm like "whatever you say Kenny,you know what your doin."

hawkjt
07-24-2006, 04:25 PM
MacDougal has only four appearances - 4 ips- 2 hits, 0 runs.

Had a strained shoulder this spring. Sounds like he is 100% now.

Not a bad move in a tight market.

Reminds me of Brandon MacCarthy.

Ironically, the rumors are hot and heavy that Brandon might be out the door for Soriano.

Have my doubts about that one.

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2006, 04:27 PM
No just wondering that's all. Has Tracey even pitched since he was recalled anyway?

Gave up a tater to Texas in the 10-3 drubbing.

Minnie Me
07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Way to go Kenny. Nancy will be play Old Mcdougel had a pig, e, i, e, i, oh.

He replaces Politte. Huge upgrade if he stay healthy. This guy could close for several teams.

California Sox
07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
If the two players are Daniel Cortes and Tyler Lumsden as the first poster seems to indicate, the Sox have paid a high price indeed. Cortes is a developing player, but in an organization with nothing in Low A, he is a promising righthander who has been compared to Jon Garland at the same age. The real prospect here, however is Lumsden. A former first round draft pick, he was a Southern League All Star this year and clearly has the highest upside of any leftie in our system. He's probably the third or fourth best prospect we have. Or had. Obviously, if MacDougal learns to throw strikes (even occasionally) this trade could turn out well, ala Matt Thornton, but remember, we only gave up Borchard in that and he was about to be DFA'd. Here, we've given up one guy who is a for-sure major leaguer and another guy with promise for someone who is essentially a AAAA pitcher. I hope Coop can work his magic.

TDog
07-24-2006, 04:30 PM
MacDougal looked like he was going to be one of the premier closers in the league when he came up. He has had some arm problems, apparently. I don't know if he throws as hard as he used to. He is probably a better bet than Gordon (who people here seem to want back) and less expensive to acquire.

I hope people don't start referring to him as M-Mac.

credefan24
07-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Didn't the Sox take a flier on another player who was coming off an injury season last year? If I recall, he's doing alright in 2006.

In Kenny I trust!

Lets GO YOU SOX!

Minnie Me
07-24-2006, 04:35 PM
If the two players are Daniel Cortes and Tyler Lumsden as the first poster seems to indicate, the Sox have paid a high price indeed. Cortes is a developing player, but in an organization with nothing in Low A, he is a promising righthander who has been compared to Jon Garland at the same age. The real prospect here, however is Lumsden. A former first round draft pick, he was a Southern League All Star this year and clearly has the highest upside of any leftie in our system. He's probably the third or fourth best prospect we have. Or had. Obviously, if MacDougal learns to throw strikes (even occasionally) this trade could turn out well, ala Matt Thornton, but remember, we only gave up Borchard in that and he was about to be DFA'd. Here, we've given up one guy who is a for-sure major leaguer and another guy with promise for someone who is essentially a AAAA pitcher. I hope Coop can work his magic.

There is no such thing as a white sox minor leauge pitcher in double AA who is a sure thing. We are playing to win for this year. If DougalMac wins us a few games that gets us into the playoffs its well worth it. Besides we still have Hager.

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Great trade! Sent a gimmick and some other guy for a solid, right handed set up man, who could close if needed.

TheDarkGundam
07-24-2006, 04:38 PM
But its not Wednesday! :mad:
Perhaps Kenny has something even bigger in store for Wednesday?

M-Mac...I like it. :tongue:

MushMouth
07-24-2006, 04:39 PM
MacDougal looked like he was going to be one of the premier closers in the league when he came up. He has had some arm problems, apparently. I don't know if he throws as hard as he used to. He is probably a better bet than Gordon (who people here seem to want back) and less expensive to acquire.

He was hitting 97 with movement on his fastball at Kaufmann this weekend - in fact, I don't think he threw anything but his fastball, looked fantastic.

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Lumsden is no gimmick; he's reportedly one of the better pitching prospects in the Sox minor league system. That being said, that's all he is, a "prospect". At this point, you couldn't have called up Lumsden as a bullpen arm for a variety of reasons. Also, Lumsden is a LHP, yes? We already have Thornton and Cotts for that purpose, so I don't know where he'd fit in at this point. KW may have overpaid, but I think MacDougal - when healthy - will be one of the better setup guys in the AL. Good move overall.

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Man, I saw 582 users and "REPORT" thread in the clubhouse, and I thought we got Soriano.

Very weird to see an interdivision trade, but I'm kinda in the "meh" mood right now because I thought there was a lot to Tyler.

At least the bullpen is set now

Jenks
Macdougall
Thornton
Cotts
FOBB
Riske

nasox
07-24-2006, 04:48 PM

:rolleyes:

JohnBasedowYoda
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM

make it just mmmmmmmmmmac.

I love it when Kenny Shakes it up. I can't judge because I don't know every player in the league like you guys do:smile:

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Futuresox.com preseason evaluation on Lumsden:

10. Tyler Lumsden, SP, 22, R/L
Major injury problems has held up the very talented left-hander, keeping him from having a full season of pro ball. He pitched a bit in 2004 after getting drafted 34th overall as a sandwich pick, but missed all of 2005 due to bone chips which were removed from his elbow, an injury that some have speculated was due to overwork.
Lumsden has made only three professional starts and hasnít even pitched 40 innings, but his talent keeps him in the top 10 of a relatively thin minor league system. Lumsden will start the year in Birmingham and will need to prove that heís healthy and can pitch successfully at the professional level. The expectation is that if the former comes true than the latter will be no problem at all for Lumsden. Along with Broadway and Liotta, Lumsden is a part of the organizational depth of left handed pitchers that made Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood tradable.

salty99
07-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Here is the official press release:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060724&content_id=1572958&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

nysox35
07-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Awesome work Kenny! I don't give a crap about the two prospects considering how thin this pitching market is. You can't have it both ways - do we want to shore up that last pen spot or not?
You got a guy with excellent upside who has closed and who will really solidify the pen.

Jenks - CL
Cotts - LH SU
M-Mac - RH SU
B Mac - RH MR
Thornton - LH MR / LOOGY
Riske - RH MR

That looks pretty darn good to me! Great job Kenny.

SOecks
07-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know MacDougal's pay and contract status?

SABRSox
07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Mike MacDougal p
1 year/$0.43M (2006)
MacDougal lost grievance regarding his ML service time 12/05. MacDougal had claimed he was injured when demoted in May, 2004, & therefore should have continued to accrue ML service time.
1 year/$0.352M (2005), re-signed 3/05
1 year/$0.3465M (2004) (split contract)
1 year/$0.301M (2003)
drafted 1999 (1-25), $1.15M signing bonus
ML service: 2.104BTW, this is start of 06. He will be arbitration eligible after this season.

Chisox1500
07-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Tyler had good but not great minor league stats and he is already 23. Not much of a place for him either since the Sox have at least seven starters on the major league depth chart.

You have to pay something to get something. If MacDougal pitches like he did in '03 and '04 it should work out.

He sure looked good during the opening series of the '03 season.

(He is in his 5th year and makes half a mil.)

nysox35
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM

from rotoworld.com

Also, the White Sox will control him through 2009, making this more than just a rental. We like it. Jul. 24 - 5:01 pm et

Tragg
07-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Heretofore, the market really hadn't been tight....the Braves gave up a A ball player for the Indians closer. We didn't pay all that much, but you shouldn't for a mediocre reliever. He looks like a decent reliever, although not a lock-down set=up man.

He should help and I hope he pitches well.

DaleJRFan
07-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Heretofore, the market really hadn't been tight....the Braves gave up a A ball player for the Indians closer. We didn't pay all that much, but you shouldn't for a mediocre reliever. He looks like a decent reliever, although not a lock-down set=up man.

Bob Wickman is old and sucks. MacDougal has a considerable upside and is still young despite his injury struggles.

Man I hope this doesn't come back to bite the Sox in the ass. Last thing we need is to face ANOTHER tough leftie in our own division.

seventyseven
07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
You have to believe that when Kenny makes moves like this to bring in a very talented pitcher who needs to be tweaked (see Matt Thornton), Coop just works himself into a frenzy with excitement. :mg:

JB98
07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't like MacDougal. He walks too many guys. Meh.

Palehose13
07-24-2006, 05:09 PM
I like it. MacDougal is a good pitcher and from what I can see, it didn't cost much. I hope he can stay healthy.

Mr. White Sox
Rotoworld.com's take:
White Sox acquired RHP Mike MacDougal from the Royals for LHP Tyler Lumsden and RHP Daniel Cortes.
MacDougal has the potential to be the quality right-handed setup man the White Sox need, though because of his history of injuries and command issues, it can be difficult to rely on him. The 29-year-old has pitched well since returning from a shoulder injury, allowing two hits and walking none in four scoreless innings. Also, the White Sox will control him through 2009, making this more than just a rental. We like it. Jul. 24 - 5:01 pm et

Royals acquired LHP Tyler Lumsden and RHP Daniel Cortes from the White Sox for RHP Mike MacDougal.
The Royals got a second intriguing prospect after all. Cortes, 19, had a 4.01 ERA and a 96/38 K/BB in 107 2/3 IP for low Single-A Kannapolis. A 2005 seventh-round pick, he has a low-90s fastball and a curveball that's a potential plus pitch. He might end up as a reliever. Lumsden is the more valuable property now. Back from elbow surgery that cost him last season, the 2004 supplemental first-rounder is 9-4 with a 2.69 ERA, 114 H and 72/40 K/BB in 123 2/3 innings for Double-A Birmingham. He's a future fourth starter, and he could be ready to help out by mid-2007. Jul. 24 - 4:56 pm et

SABRSox

Well, to be fair, that A-ball player is a solid prospect. And I think the Sox paid fairly for whats to be expected of an inter-division trade.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
Did anyone see his hat fall off when he was pitching a while ago?

Randar68
07-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Lumsden had the best arm in the system, IMO. A lefty power pitcher.

Cortes is perhaps their top pitching prospect under the age of 20.

I hope there is some obscure "Cortez" instead being included. If Lumsden + Cortes, that's a high price indeed.

SABRSox
07-24-2006, 05:14 PM

I hope there is some obscure "Cortez" instead being included. If Lumsden + Cortes, that's a high price indeed.

Do you think that Lumsden had a spot with the Sox, though? It seems like he was a great prospect, but was never going to have a spot with the big league club. If that's the case, might as well use him for somebody that will find a spot with the big league club.

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 05:14 PM

Definitely Cortes + Lumsden per rotoworld and I believe the official press release.

Corlose 15
07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Besides high nineties heat what else does MacDougal throw?

I like the trade. Lumsden has had injuries issues of his own and both of these guys are only prospects. With Jenks, MacDougal, and Thornton the Sox bullpen really has some flamethrowers.

FielderJones
07-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't like MacDougal. He walks too many guys. Meh.

Career (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/174709) 76 walks in 174 innings, ~0.4 per inning. Not sure that I'd qualify that as too many. Too many walks used to be the knock on Thornton. I like what Coop has done with that project.

DSpivack
07-24-2006, 05:20 PM
What other roster move do we make to make room for Macdougal? I assume it would be Gload.

Nevermind: Tracey.

thomas35forever
07-24-2006, 05:23 PM
This must be our bullpen help. If the White Sox can help Thome and Dye get back into their top forms, then they must be able to do the same with McDougal. I can't wait to see him show off his stuff in a White Sox uniform. Furthermore, he must be happy to get out of Kansas City.

havelj
07-24-2006, 05:24 PM
MacDougal looked like he was going to be one of the premier closers in the league when he came up. He has had some arm problems, apparently.
"I can take care of that injury!"

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/10/26/nrfwIHVV.jpg

JB98
07-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Career (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/174709) 76 walks in 174 innings, ~0.4 per inning. Not sure that I'd qualify that as too many. Too many walks used to be the knock on Thornton. I like what Coop has done with that project.

A walk about every other inning is too many in my book, especially for a late-inning reliever. Yes, that was the knock on Thornton, and that problem seems to be corrected. That doesn't necessarily mean the same will happen with MacDougal. I sure hope it does. However, I just can't get excited about an oft-injured, wild reliever who has never pitched in pennant-race pressure. Sorry.

Mots09
07-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Very much like this move.

Don't win championships not trading prospects.

ChiSox80
07-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Fantastic move. MacDougal's got nasty stuff. He's got even better raw stuff than Thornton, AND he's more polished.

Anyone hear when he gets here? Today is an off day for the Royals, in the middle of a homestand. That would make me guess that he's going to be in uniform tonight.

Chisox1500
07-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Hopefully this means no more Jenks in the 8th or in non-save situations.

Tragg
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
You have to believe that when Kenny makes moves like this to bring in a very talented pitcher who needs to be tweaked (see Matt Thornton), Coop just works himself into a frenzy with excitement. :mg: To get Thornton, we gave up a player we were going to release. Here, we gave up legit prospects....for a pitcher who is, based on his record, simply decent.
The other thing is that we've been giving prospects in these trades for a while now, and are not really dealing from strength. Everyone wants pitching, and we've been dealing a lot of it away.
Randar, what about the pitcher we gave up for Alomar?

russ99
07-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Hopefully this means no more Jenks in the 8th or in non-save situations.

How does this diminish Cotts' role? I know he's a lefty - Neil's been inconsistent this season.

Randar68
07-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Do you think that Lumsden had a spot with the Sox, though? It seems like he was a great prospect, but was never going to have a spot with the big league club. If that's the case, might as well use him for somebody that will find a spot with the big league club.

Lumsden's been pitching as a starter but I always have thought of him as a late inning pitcher or potential closer. When healthy, he has easy mid-90's heat with some wicked movement on his curve.

IMO, he's been working as a starter to gain experience and seasoning, but as a reliever is where I believe he will end up and a good one, too, IMO.

ZombieRob
07-24-2006, 06:01 PM
Love Cotts but hasnt Thorntan surpassed Cotts as the lefty set up?

SABRSox
Besides high nineties heat what else does MacDougal throw?

I like the trade. Lumsden has had injuries issues of his own and both of these guys are only prospects. With Jenks, MacDougal, and Thornton the Sox bullpen really has some flamethrowers.
Before the injuries, he threw 100mph with a nasty slider. Since, not so sure. I've heard he got it up around 97, but I don't know if he's thrown any sliders since he's been back. Also had a changeup, though not sure how good it was/is.

He was hard to hit when healthy. Hopefully he's fine now, and Coop can work some of that magic.

JB98
How does this diminish Cotts' role? I know he's a lefty - Neil's been inconsistent this season.

This should have no effect on Cotts role whatsoever. Thornton is the primary setup lefty, and Cotts is the middle-innings lefty.

I don't think Cotts has been inconsistent this season. He struggled early, but has been solid as of late.

SABRSox
07-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Lumsden's been pitching as a starter but I always have thought of him as a late inning pitcher or potential closer. When healthy, he has easy mid-90's heat with some wicked movement on his curve.

IMO, he's been working as a starter to gain experience and seasoning, but as a reliever is where I believe he will end up and a good one, too, IMO.
If that's the case, you've already got Cotts and Thornton from the left side. Lumsden still didn't have a spot. I'd rather add a RH arm down there, if in fact Lumsden was heading for the pen.

Wow, that's 3 guys now that can get it up near 100mph in the back of the pen. Nice.

ChiSox80
07-24-2006, 06:09 PM
Randar, what about the pitcher we gave up for Alomar?

He's about 100 years old and has always had control problems. No one ever projected him to be a major leaguer. We'll be ok. :cool:

mjmcend
07-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Excellent pick-up since he is not just a rental. A good bullpen arm with a chance to be a great one. Can help out the Sox this year, and over the next couple of years, all without great cost in terms of salary.

Jenks4Pres
07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
MacDougal has nasty stuff........This could be another magical deal by good ol' Kenny!

MVP
07-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Another good move by KW. McDougal has tremendous stuff. KW also said that he expects a few more chips to drop pretty soon. Doesn't sound as though he's done making trades yet.

goon
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
If that's the case, you've already got Cotts and Thornton from the left side. Lumsden still didn't have a spot. I'd rather add a RH arm down there, if in fact Lumsden was heading for the pen.

Wow, that's 3 guys now that can get it up near 100mph in the back of the pen. Nice.

precisely the way you need to look at this trade. coming into the season we had a solid left-hand middle relief pitcher in cotts, while thornton was brought in as question mark as a "specialist" of sorts. that's really all you need in your bullpen is two lefty's and while thornton may have been a mystery pre-season he has certainly developed as someone who maybe sticking around for a while, as well as cotts.

so what do you do? well, you have a slew of "awesome" left-handed pitchers in our farm system, all of which but a few will ever see play in a white sox uniform. with the current situation, needing a set-up man, a right-handed one at that, this is an FANTASTIC trade that could pay off huge if this guy stays healthy... especially considering we control the guy until 2009. the white sox are looking to win now and this is definitely a trade wortht he risk considering we are looking to repeat. macdougal has the stuff, let's keep our fingers crossed he can stay off the DL.

wow, do we have some guys that can bring heat in our pen now. **** detroit.

eastchicagosoxfan
07-24-2006, 06:33 PM
I like the trade. Lip, some time ago said he'd almost always take an expierenced major leaguer over a prospect. I agree. This guy can help now. The guys he traded away, can't.

07-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Will MacDougal be in uniform tonight?

Have the White Sox announced an official corresponding move to free up a roster spot?

Whitesox4ever
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Will MacDougal be in uniform tonight?

Have the White Sox announced an official corresponding move to free up a roster spot?

S Tracey was sent to the minors

jenn2080
07-24-2006, 06:51 PM
They got MacDougal in exchange for minor league pitchers Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes

HotelWhiteSox
07-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Really like this move, though I don't know much about the minor leaguer given up.

Bullpen looking a lot more solid now, the only thing I would possibly tweak on this team is acquiring a long reliever and getting McCarthy into the rotation. Odd man out starter can be used to get him or cash, prospects, bench players, other players, whatever

A. Cavatica
07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
He's a future fourth starter

Or, in Royals-speak: an ace!

KRS1
07-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Man, I loved Lumsden and the thought of him in our roto in a couple seasons, but apparently Kenny wanted a guy who helps us now. McDougal has the stuff Lumpy does, but he is ast the major league level, and that could be the deciding factor, I just hope he is over his injury problem and can be great for us.

Wow, I didnt even notice Cortes' name there, sorry but Im probably in the minority here who dont like this deal. We gave up some very good prospects for a guy who is coming off a shoulder injury, I know in Kenny we trust, but come on.

soxfanatlanta
07-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Wow, I didnt even notice Cortes' name there, sorry but Im probably in the minority here who dont like this deal. We gave up some very good prospects for a guy who is coming off a shoulder injury, I know in Kenny we trust, but come on.

A prospect is just that: a prospect. Frugal McDougal has proven himself a major league pitcher, and with Coop working on any mechanical flaws, we got a good asset in the pen.

KW: A Man among boys.

KRS1
07-24-2006, 08:29 PM
A prospect is just that: a prospect. Frugal McDougal has proven himself a major league pitcher, and with Coop working on any mechanical flaws, we got a good asset in the pen.

KW: A Man among boys.

'Frugal' MacDougal, BTW, worst nickname ever if that's true, has proved he can pitch in the bigs with success. What he hasnt proved is that he can stay healthy, and trading two young pitchers with very good arms for a pitcher who has a history of arm troubles, is not something I would do, prospect or not. I have to think our best minor league starting pitching prospect, IMO, could have gotten us more than a reliever with arm issues.

rowand33
07-24-2006, 08:39 PM
'Frugal' MacDougal, BTW, worst nickname ever if that's true,

If nothing's changed from 2003, his nickname has always been "Mac the 9th"

I agree that frugal macdougal is AWFUL.

DaleJRFan
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM

And he's not frugal, at all....

career: 174 IP, 174 hits, 76 BB, 1.44 WHIP, 17.06 P/IP

BMac Daddy
07-24-2006, 10:14 PM

MMac Daddy?:supernana:

The Dude
07-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Nice move pending he stays healthy. As I always say, prospects are simply prospects until proven otherwise. We are trying to win in 2006 and not focused on 2009 right now. MacDougal, former closer, will fill a gaping hole left by the 2006 bust of Clifford.

kitekrazy
07-25-2006, 03:10 AM

I'd like ti have a guy in there that throws like Wilbur Wood or Shingo to set up Jenks. That would mess with a hitter's mind.

Pierzynski 12
07-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I like this trade. Plus, MacDougal was a cheaper option.

southside rocks
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I'd like ti have a guy in there that throws like Wilbur Wood or Shingo to set up Jenks. That would mess with a hitter's mind.

Charlie Haegar, please report to the left-field bullpen ... Charlie Haeger to the White Sox bullpen ... :wink: