PDA

View Full Version : Soriano Super Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2006, 09:43 AM
I think this is quite possibly the only move KW is gonna make before the deadline.

Last year was a tough trade market just like this year is. In 2005, KW went out and got a backup player in Geoff Blum. This year he goes out and gets another backup in Alomar Jr.

Me thinks Kenny is done shopping for this year.

SportsCenter last night was saying that the Sox might get Soriano from the Nationals. Anybody know anything about this? Or was this a fluff statement?

salty99
07-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Anything's possible at this point. There was even an article written that said the Sox made an offer for Dontrelle Willis but were declined.

Thome25
07-24-2006, 09:48 AM
SportsCenter last night was saying that the Sox might get Soriano from the Nationals. Anybody know anything about this? Or was this a fluff statement?

Personally I just think it's KW trying to drive the market up on the Twins and Tigers. I really don't think there's much to this rumor because KW actually came out and admitted it and that doesn't go with his style of "flying under the radar."

Besides we don't need another hitter. There's really no place for Soriano to play and we need some more pitching above anything else.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I would welcome a good trade but I don't think anything is going to happen.

watch something big go down and I get quoted 50 times about my statement.

SOecks
07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I think speculating on KW trades is just a complete waste of time. He's constantly surprising us and the rest of the media with what he does and does not do. Other teams the writing is on the wall when a move is made but not this guy.

Luke
07-24-2006, 10:58 AM
I wonder if the intention isn't to then move Soriano to another team for some bullpen help. Soriano really makes the team weaker defensively no matter where you put him.

Mickster
07-24-2006, 11:25 AM
I wonder if the intention isn't to then move Soriano to another team for some bullpen help. Soriano really makes the team weaker defensively no matter where you put him.

Weaker than pods in LF? Is that possible? :?:

Luke
07-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Weaker than pods in LF? Is that possible? :?:

I've never seen a guy that fast play such a poor OF. I'm assuming pods or Soriano would have to play CF, which is a defensive downgrade from Anderson.

Mickster
07-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I've never seen a guy that fast play such a poor OF. I'm assuming pods or Soriano would have to play CF, which is a defensive downgrade from Anderson.

I'm assuming that Pods would be part of any deal that would purportedly bring Soriano here.

stacksedwards
07-24-2006, 11:51 AM
We don't need bats we need pitchers.

In the words of Hawk: "Where would Soriano play?"

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 11:56 AM

He would play LF and be an upgrade.

WestSider
07-24-2006, 12:00 PM
An article about Soriano was on the front page of the Tribune today:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060723soxbrite,1,4886757.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Tekijawa
07-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm assuming that Pods would be part of any deal that would purportedly bring Soriano here.

I would have to agree...

bayzbol44
07-24-2006, 12:23 PM

In the real words of Hawk: "That is complete BS. BS."

Luke
07-24-2006, 12:31 PM

I haven't seen enough of Soriano to know. So he is definately better defensively? Offensively, no question.

Who becomes the lead off hitter then?

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2006, 12:32 PM

And lead off.

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I haven't seen enough of Soriano to know. So he is definately better defensively? Offensively, no question.

Who becomes the lead off hitter then?
To be honest I haven't seen much of Soriano in the OF (even with the Cubs games on TV) but I have read he has done a great job of moving from second base to the OF.
Pods' act of running on sand and not being able to throw out a runner to save his life is really starting to get to me. I defended him a month ago because he was getting the hits, but now I am hoping he isn't brought back next year and wouldn't mind Soriano for this year if we don't have to give up Anderson/McCarthy/Sweeney.

Luke
07-24-2006, 12:46 PM
To be honest I haven't seen much of Soriano in the OF (even with the Cubs games on TV) but I have read he has done a great job of moving from second base to the OF.
Pods' act of running on sand and not being able to throw out a runner to save his life is really starting to get to me. I defended him a month ago because he was getting the hits, but now I am hoping he isn't brought back next year and wouldn't mind Soriano for this year if we don't have to give up Anderson/McCarthy/Sweeney.

Pods has not run with any confidence since his injury. He seems like he's scared of re-injuring himself every play.

As far as him arm goes, I think I've seen him make one OF assist in the time he's been here. I can live with a weak arm, but only if it comes with some added range which he doesn't have now.

Any GM worth his salt would start trade talks with Anderson/McCarthy/Sweeney knowing full-well he probably won't get them. I think the original asking price for Thome was Rowand+McCarthy/Garland+prospect.

kittle42
07-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I would take Soriano over Podsednik any day of the week. Twice on Tuesday.

Would I trade Podsednik and McCarthy for him? Probably not.

twsoxfan5
07-24-2006, 01:16 PM

I would say that he would be a little bit of a downgrade on defense, but he has a stronger than Pods. Also could you imagine him leading off for the Sox. I dont even have to mention how big of an upgrade he would be on offense. 31 homers is a nice number for a lead-off guy.

Iwritecode
07-24-2006, 01:27 PM
31 homers is a nice number for a lead-off guy.

Actually, that's a nice number for a #3 or #4 hitter, not a lead-off man.

The lead-off man is supposed to be the guy that gets up there and makes the pitcher work to allow the batters behind him to see what the pitcher is throwing. Then his job is to get on base, wreck a little havoc on the basepaths and allow the big hitters to drive him in. Basically what Pods did all last year.

Sure having somebody hit a lot of homeruns is nice but that's certainly not what you expect from a lead-off hitter...

07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
This is a ploy to get Det and Minn so anti up....Wash was asking for Verlander and Zumya for Soriano....if they bite on that, it will only help us out.... they are going to want McCarthy, Haeger, and Pods or Anderson in return...this guy fits in nowhere with our team......If the trade does happen and he is our Lead off man, we are in certain trouble because he K's a ton, we would have to ask Iguchi to take over the lead off role.....I know Ozuna would be the better choice, but where is he going to play...this idea just makes no sense. We have plenty of power, we need power in our bull pen

spiffie
07-24-2006, 02:00 PM

The lead-off man is supposed to be the guy that gets up there and makes the pitcher work to allow the batters behind him to see what the pitcher is throwing. Then his job is to get on base, wreck a little havoc on the basepaths and allow the big hitters to drive him in. Basically what Pods did all last year.

Sure having somebody hit a lot of homeruns is nice but that's certainly not what you expect from a lead-off hitter...
The job of a #1 hitter is to get on base and score runs. Just like the jobs of hitters #2-9. Pods did a good job as a lead off man last year because he got on base some, and helped score a lot of runs, esp. the first half of the year, by stealing a lot of bases, thus getting to second or third with less than 2 outs. Whether the leadoff man does that by hitting a bunt single and stealing second or by hitting lots of doubles or home runs is irrelevant.

Soriano this year has an OBP of .361 and slugging of .594. Pods is .350 and .396. So Soriano gets on a little more and does a hell of a lot more damage in general.

There are a lot of reasons not to make this deal. The cost of the acquisition, the better spending of resources on more pitching, the defensive concerns, and Soriano's general insanity. But the idea of somehow tinkering with the lineup's composition is not one of them in my opinion.

chaotic8512
07-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I would take Soriano over Podsednik any day of the week. Twice on Tuesday.

Would I trade Podsednik and McCarthy for him? Probably not.

Don't you mean twice on Wednesday? KW would be ashamed... :redneck

kittle42
07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Why does anyone think any other team is clamoring for Haeger? Knuckleballers aren't exactly in high demand, and are best suited for AAA.

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150093.jpg No
http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_400089.jpg Yes

Iwritecode
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
The job of a #1 hitter is to get on base and score runs. Just like the jobs of hitters #2-9. Pods did a good job as a lead off man last year because he got on base some, and helped score a lot of runs, esp. the first half of the year, by stealing a lot of bases, thus getting to second or third with less than 2 outs. Whether the leadoff man does that by hitting a bunt single and stealing second or by hitting lots of doubles or home runs is irrelevant.

Soriano this year has an OBP of .361 and slugging of .594. Pods is .350 and .396. So Soriano gets on a little more and does a hell of a lot more damage in general.

There are a lot of reasons not to make this deal. The cost of the acquisition, the better spending of resources on more pitching, the defensive concerns, and Soriano's general insanity. But the idea of somehow tinkering with the lineup's composition is not one of them in my opinion.

The point is that he's not a prototypical lead-off hitter. His numbers are more comparable to Konerko or Thome than Podsednik.

If you're going to have somebody in your lineup that's going to hit a lot of homeruns, you need to put him somewhere in the middle of the lineup behind other players with high on-base percentages to give him a better chance of hitting a multi-run homerun rather than a solo shot leading off the game.

I'm not saying it should be the deciding factor on whether to make the trade or not but it's something to think about.

twsoxfan5
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM

That is what I am saying. 31 homers is not what you expect from a lead off hitter, but it is a nice bonus. Basically Soriano is better all around with the bat. And Pods may have done all you stated last year but has not done that this year. I believe Soriano had at least 2 doubles and a triple on Saturday and wouldn't that be a nice way to start off a game. Also in late game situations I would be a lot more comfortable with Soriano at the plate rather than Pods. I am a fan of Pods but I hate when he comes up in the late innings when we are behind.

spiffie
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
The point is that he's not a prototypical lead-off hitter. His numbers are more comparable to Konerko or Thome than Podsednik.

If you're going to have somebody in your lineup that's going to hit a lot of homeruns, you need to put him somewhere in the middle of the lineup behind other players with high on-base percentages to give him a better chance of hitting a multi-run homerun rather than a solo shot leading off the game.

I'm not saying it should be the deciding factor on whether to make the trade or not but it's something to think about.
Actually his numbers are comprable to Podsednik only with a lot more potential to hit a home run as well. And as for multi-run homers, he leads off the game once. about 60-70% of his at-bats will come in situations where there may or may not be men on base. And personally, I would kind of like the idea that our leadoff guy could give us a run right off the bat instead of always needing to depend on someone else to bring him home.

Again, I am not in favor of this deal. The price will be too high, and I'd rather spend on pitching or other upgrades than getting someone who is something of a head case and a defensive butcher.

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 03:00 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150093.jpg No
http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_400089.jpg Yes

:gulp:
The problem is Rafael Soriano will command a gigantic price as well: at least one top prospect. So, if you're willing to part with Sweeney for him, then maybe.

twsoxfan5
07-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Just stated on ESPN update that the Soriano trade is very close to being completed. Don't know how true this is but apparently the Nationals are very interested in McCarthy.

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Just stated on ESPN update that the Soriano trade is very close to being completed. Don't know how true this is but apparently the Nationals are very interested in McCarthy.Who isn't?

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 03:07 PM
White Sox very close to deal for Alfonso Soriano (giving up Mccarthy) and Macdougal. Put here until its official.

07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Source?

Macdougal is interesting. He would be a welcome addition to the pen if healthy finally.

DaleJRFan
07-24-2006, 03:09 PM
White Sox very close to deal for Alfonso Soriano (giving up Mccarthy) and Macdougal. Put here until its official.

MacDougal is on the Royals. (EDIT: DUH! I totally misread your post, SORRY!)

God, I hope this deal isn't for real. McCarthy is going to be a star.

WS in 05
07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
wow this would freaking blow

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Source?

Macdougal is interesting. He would be a welcome addition to the pen if healthy finally.
ESPNEWS

DaveIsHere
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
:?:

:(:

I hope this would be a precursor for him to be shipped elsewhere, sacrifice defense for Offense, now which is more streaky?

DaleJRFan
Who isn't?

Thanks, OlNo2... I just spit my mountain dew all over my laptop. :redneck

JUribe1989
You gotta give up something to get something. If this goes through, it should help our offense immensely and we still have Tracey for a future starter. It appears that KW is sold on Vazquez and is a fan of him for whatever reason.

peeonwrigley
ESPNEWS

And in writing. (http://x.go.com/cgi/x.pl?goto=http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494&name=FPT-2528494-072415&srvc=sz)

Two different deals.

MadetoOrta
07-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Can't we talk the former Expos into taking Javy back instead?

Tekijawa
God, I hope this deal isn't for real. McCarthy is going to be a star.

Who would hit on all the 18 year old girls from the bullpen durring the game if we get rid of Brandon? I like Brandon, I hope Pods would be included in something like this.

DaleJRFan
I guess the real question is... What number will Soriano wear on the Sox??? the number12 is already taken!

:AJ:

"from my cold, dead.. um.. back."

Kogs35
07-24-2006, 03:13 PM
Timmay speculated on Mccarthy, IIRC bowden wants 3 top minor leaguers and Brandon isnt a minor leaguer.

TheOldRoman
I really want to insert the puking tag, but I will wait until it is announced. This would be a horrible trade. I will always back Kenny (see sig), but if this goes down I will seriously question it. Hopefully Kenny is just putting this rumor out there so Detriot comes up with a Verlander and Zumaya package.:praying:

hawkeyesrule
I don't like giving up McCarthy one bit. The other starters are shaky lately and BMac is cheap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494

SoxSpeed22
They might relay Soriano to an NL team, mainly so he doesn't go to Detroit.
Lastings Milledge? Anthony Reyes?

hbaines
07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
The White Sox are "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6154), a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7484).
The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6666) from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.
Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.
The slugger is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

MadetoOrta
I'm hoping this is "close" like the Jr. Griffey deal last year. Please don't do this. Solid, affordable young pitching like Mac is too valuable. Oh well. :(:

soxfan13
You gotta give up something to get something .

Exactly!!!

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Just stated on ESPN update that the Soriano trade is very close to being completed. Don't know how true this is but apparently the Nationals are very interested in McCarthy.

You mean Soriano to the Sox? If it involves McCarthy in any way, shape or form I don't like this trade. Hell, I'd like McCarthy to start a playoff game over Vazquez at this point, stretching issues aside.

Clembasbal
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Who would hit on all the 18 year old girls from the bullpen durring the game if we get rid of Brandon? I like Brandon, I hope Pods would be included in something like this.

As in trade Pods?

I will tell you this, does Soriano play LF and Pods in CF? Because I am tried of this Brian Anderson act, it is growing tiresome.

southside rocks
07-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Aw, no ... I really hope not ... Fix the pitching, don't just lay on more hitting! :(:

OTOH, if KW is going to turn around and deal Soriano for a stud starting pitcher, that'd be cool.

(Note to self: don't panic, trust KW, stay off the ledge ...)

UofCSoxFan
07-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I would LOVE the MacDougal deal who is nasty when healthy. If it was Soriano for MacCarthy straight up I would do it in a heartbeat. You don't mortgage the future, but if you can win now you do it bc the future isn't guaranteed. Remember when Alverez and Fernandez and Srotka were all future stars? Injuries happen (and considering MacCarthy's herky-jerky motion its not under the realm of possibilities). MacCarthy COULD be good, but let's keep in mind before last year he was a mid to low Sox prospect. Also, keep in mind he has been mediocre this year in the pen, though is better of late, but struggled mightly in his one start. He clearly is not the difference in winning a world series THIS year. We have Broadway, Tracy, and perhaps Haeggar in the minors that could all blossom.

Do this deal if possible.

Move Pods to center and use BA as a late inning defensive sub.

Now if Pods was included in the deal, I would be a little wary.

Again, I'd love the MacDougal trade though.

JUribe1989
Our offense has been in a terrible slump lately and adding Soriano would make this scary lineup 10 times scarier.

VASoxfan1
awful!! a 10 week rental for McCarthy.....no way i make this deal

MagicNumber22
I would hope that if this deal went down, it was a precursor to something else--like a young starting pitcher. Javy is erratic and cannot pitch out of the stretch. We've all seen what tons of offense and little pitching does for a team. It will carry you to the playoffs, but not much further after that. I would hate to give up a future star (McCarthy) for a two month rental (Soriano). Kenny is a gambler, but is this really worth it? I don't think so.

MushMouth
wow - I don't know what to think about giving up McCarthy.

I LOVE Soriano (and everyone will soon if they don't already)...

I'll say this, I was in Kansas City visiting family this weekend and saw MacDougal pitch in person and he was fantastic. He has outstanding stuff and I was wondering why he was only now with the Royals - he must have been hurt earlier this year. He'll be a great Bullpen guy.

MadetoOrta
Exactly!!!

What is it we are getting? A one year stint in LF? Where does Pods go? Late inning baserunner? I appreciate Soriano is a great hitter and would help at the top of the order [gosh we need speed] but at what price? It's our SP's that have put us in this position. If we lose a Sweeney/Fields/Mac for a one year wonder, then it does feel like 1960. I hope KW's just driving up the price for the Tiggers.

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 03:19 PM
If this deal goes down I hope to God they resign him before season's end, and they somehow make a deal for a starting pitcher. I'm going to assume we will see Pods in CF (unless he is traded) and Brian coming in for the 8th and 9th inning. Ross Gload's days are numbered here as well, which isn't a bad thing.

salty99
MCDougal is a great addition to the pen if healthy. Don't know what to make of the Soriano deal yet.

MISoxfan
I think his OBP would go way down playing in this division. He has a career OBP of .325, he's never even broken .340 in the AL.

southside rocks
Pods to CF? Are they trying to win a title or make a horror movie?! :o:

cbrownson13
07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
wow - I don't know what to think about giving up McCarthy.

I LOVE Soriano (and everyone will soon if they don't already)...

I'll say this, I was in Kansas City visiting family this weekend and saw MacDougal pitch in person and he was fantastic. He has outstanding stuff and I was wondering why he was only now with the Royals - he must have been hurt earlier this year. He'll be a great Bullpen guy.

I remember when the Royals had that good first part of the season a few years ago, MacDougal was unhittable. He was hurt the better part of last year. I don't mind that trade.

I'm not sure what to think about Soriano. I love the guy, but where is he going to play? And I don't like giving up McCarthy.

cbotnyse
someone help me out here....where would he play? and what spot in the order?

TheOldRoman
Our offense has been in a terrible slump lately and adding Soriano would make this scary lineup 10 times scarier.
Ok, so for a week when we are hot we would average 9 runs per game instead of 7. The problem isn't a lack of power, it is a lack of consistant hitters. Soriano is a swing from the shoetops hitter who strikes out a ridiculous amount, and is inherantly inconsistant. If this trade is reality, it just brings us closer to 2001-2004. We don't need another streaky righthander power hitter.

SoxxoS
The Nats love McCarthy?

I'm sure Kenny Williams loves Ichiro, too. Doesn't mean they are going to give them up.

Tekijawa
As in trade Pods?

I will tell you this, does Soriano play LF and Pods in CF? Because I am tried of this Brian Anderson act, it is growing tiresome.

No, Trade McCarthy and Pods... You might as well put Dye in CF, He's better in the OF than Pods is... Brian Anderson is 4 times the OF we have anywhere on our current roster right now... You add Soriano to the line up and Anderson could bat .070 for all I care.

Huisj

Yeah, that thought does scare me. I think it might scare our pitchers too.

SoxxoS
07-24-2006, 03:21 PM

Rumor is Podsednik is part of the deal.

White Sox Randy
McCarthy for Soriano would be a HORRIBLE trade for the White Sox.

1. Soriano is a 2 month rental, then he signs with the Yanks.

2. During our recent slump how many more games would we have won with Soriano ? Probably none - maybe one.

3. How many more would we win with McCarthy in the rotation. He might be able to win 17-20 games next year.

MagicNumber22
What about moving BA to the top of the lineup? He's heating up and has been on base a hell of a lot more than Pods lately.

(Edit: Maybe not a good one, but just a thought.)

Ol' No. 2
If this deal goes down I hope to God they resign him before season's end, and they somehow make a deal for a starting pitcher. I'm going to assume we will see Pods in CF (unless he is traded) and Brian coming in for the 8th and 9th inning. Ross Gload's days are numbered here as well, which isn't a bad thing.Just what we need, Pods in CF and Soriano in LF.:o:

pudge
crap... i really hate to lose McCarthy...

TheOldRoman
07-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Just what we need, Pods in CF and Soriano in LF.:o:
Can't we just put them both in center and play "left field out"?

SouthSoxFan
July 13, 2006
Royals activate closer MacDougal from DL (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/)
The Royals activated closer Mike MacDougal from the 60-day disabled list Thursday; MacDougal, who has yet to pitch this season after straining his right shoulder on March 24, converted 21 of 25 save opportunities last season and will be thrusted right back into the closing role

Risky. At least we aren't giving up much. But does he effectively replace the innings we were getting from McCarthy?

rdwj
There is NO WAY we move McCarthy for Soriano - it's just not going to happen

southside rocks
Who isn't?

I'm not, but if Anderson wanted to go out for dinner and a movie sometime, this girl would be there ... :redface:

BeviBall!
This deal is blowing up... everyone under the sun is reporting.

StepsInSC
NOT TYLER LUMSDEN!

As far as I know, the only Clemson grad in the Sox org. AND he's ambidextrous, throws 90+ MPH left handed, and 80+ right handed.

Oh well...

cbotnyse
Rumor is Podsednik is part of the deal.wouldnt he have to be?

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Putting Pods in CF is a one way ticket to losing the wild card lead. No freaking way.

I would trade Pods + Sweeney/Fields over trading McCarthy straight up for Soriano, as I think Brandon is that valuable. Also if KW doesn't get a deal done to extend Soriano's contract or to turn around and trade him, I don't like this deal. Soriano's an outstanding player, but I'm just not a fan of 1/2 year rentals.

See: Carlos Beltran, Houston Astros
He did a lot for the team, and they went far in the playoffs with him, but the bottom line is they didn't win the world series, they lost prospects for the next year and they had no other player to show for it after the season.

WS in 05

and frank thomas like speed stealing off alomar:(:

BNLSox
Soriano only makes sense if we're blocking a trade. Still giving up McCarthy the trade hurts our team. Unless Vazquez is moving to the bullpen and we are aquiring another starter. Which is also doubtful.

This seems like a yankee move.

In other news, I would love macdougal. He's a stud.

Law11

KW has to has something else brewing... Pods is not a CF'lder
But its all speculation... We'll see.

Clembasbal

Podsednik career:
in CF - 2518 innings/285 games/.991 Fielding Percentage
in LF - 1841 innings/227 games/ .980 Fileding Percentage

I would take the better numbers in a small park.

rdwj

Easy - he plays right and leads off.

russ99
Yeah, that thought does scare me. I think it might scare our pitchers too.

Hey, remember - Pods made a great play yesterday.

I'm getting sick of all the Pods bashing. He can play CF - he did it for 2 years in Milwaukee. I don't want the Sox to give up on him yet...

Ol' No. 2
This deal is blowing up... everyone under the sun is reporting.As well it should. I'll buy the dynamite. Giving up McCarthy for a two-month rental of something they don't need is ridiculous.

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
I hate playing the role of Hawk here and making excuses for our players but maybe Pods will be better in CF cause that is where he played in Milwaukee and just feels more comfortable and sees the ball better out there. Sure that idea is probably wrong because CF is the toughest spot in the OF but you never know.

UofCSoxFan
Also, weren't Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo future stars? KW is the best GM in baseball and has proven it over and over. Win now, Kenny...I don't want to wait another 89 years.

With these deals you could have a lineup of:
Pods
Soriano
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Are you kidding me? Crede in the 8 hole? Soriano, Thome, Konerko, and Dye in a row? That is approaching 27 yankees type stuff.

Then in the playoffs you go:
Contreras
Garland
Buerhle
Garcia

Those guys give you 6 and you have Cotts, Thorton, and MacDougal (not to mention Vazquez if need be) for the 7th and 8th and Jenks for the 9th. You guys wouldn't do this just b/c MacCarthy may be a good pitcher in the future????

Madvora
I don't know about putting a guy in the outfield that's been complaining about playing the outfield for years. Do they really want that kind of attitude on the team?
Also, Soriano is a huge strikeout guy... do we want that too?

I think that the pitching looks like it's starting to show a few holes now and we need to make sure that we're going to have pitching in the future. We'll need McCarthy for that because Garcia and Vazquez might not have many years left on this team.

DaleJRFan

I love it. Kenny Williams takes a poo, and all the ESPN "reporters" are lined up for a sniff of KW's lunch.

This has GOT TO BE a smoke screen.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Yeah - we would then have a guy with an arm of a 12-year old in center.

samram
Putting Pods in CF is a one way ticket to losing the wild card lead. No freaking way.

I would trade Pods + Sweeney/Fields over trading McCarthy straight up for Soriano, as I think Brandon is that valuable. Also if KW doesn't get a deal done to extend Soriano's contract or to turn around and trade him, I don't like this deal. Soriano's an outstanding player, but I'm just not a fan of 1/2 year rentals.

He did a lot for the team, and they went far in the playoffs with him, but the bottom line is they didn't win the world series, they lost prospects for the next year and they had no other player to show for it after the season.

Of course, Houston went to the WS last year, but point taken.

I can deal with Pods and Sweeney/Fields- Soriano is a big upgrade and while the other two may be great someday, I can deal with losing a guy who hasn't contributed on the big league level. I would prefer keeping Brandon because one of Freddy or Javy has to be dealt this offseason.

WS in 05

I would trade Pods + Sweeney or Fields over trading McCarthy straight up for Soriano, as I think Brandon is that valuable. Also if KW doesn't get a deal done to extend Soriano's contract or to turn around and trade him, I don't like this deal. Soriano's an outstanding player, but I'm just not a fan of 1/2 year rentals.

I agree with you completely except for giving up both sweeny and fields...keep mccarthy at all cost with the way vazquez freddy and honestly buerhle are playing i each of there last 4 to 5 starts

MushMouth
wouldnt he have to be?

You gotta think so - Good lord, I just had a flash of our lineup:

LF: Soriano
2b: Iguchi
DH: Thome
1b: Konerko
RF: Dye
C: AJ
3b: Crede
SS: Uribe
CF: Anderson

I hate to lose pitching, but that may be the best offensive lineup in white sox history...

Tekijawa
PEOPLE... ReLAX, In the past Kenny has signed the Big names he's brought over in trades... remember? Everyone was saying "Garcia would test the FA, market this is just a rental!" I don't think Kenny would give up the potential of Brandon for 10 weeks of baseball... relax, see if this happens... Don't for one second think that Pods will play CF...

Luke
07-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Can't we just put them both in center and play "left field out"?

Why leave left open when there's Pablo?

kraut83
Easy - he plays right and leads off.

Left?

buehrle4cy05
Call me a homer, but I like this deal if it goes through. If Soriano can be signed to a long-term deal, he has the athletic skills to be a successful LF. I'd be sad to see Brandon go, but like UofCSox said, you can't guarentee that he will be a great starting pitcher. He's shown flashes of greatness, but I still would be concerned about a starter who can only throw three pitches (fastball, curve, changeup) for strikes.

thepaulbowski
As well it should. I'll buy the dynamite. Giving up McCarthy for a two-month rental of something they don't need is ridiculous.

Then if he were to end up in Detroit or Minny everybody would be bitching that KW didn't do anything and let his rivals beat him to the punch.

As PHG once said: "You have to break some eggs to make an omelette."

SoxxoS
I think we can seriously think about marking down Charlie Haeger for a rotation spot next year. No reason he can't be another Wakefield type.

losx22
according to ESPNEWS its McCarthy and two other prospects for Soriano

JUribe1989
Podsednik spent 2 years in CF in Milwaukee. He will be fine there. I just hope he isn't part of the trade. I just hate to see a lot of the players from the '05 team go. Podsednik is still an integral part of this team.

Clembasbal
3. How many more would we win with McCarthy in the rotation. He might be able to win 17-20 games next year.

Key word is might. Nobody likes trading a Possible stud, but at least we know for a fact that Soriano will bat .290/35/95 with 35 steals. That is his career average for more than 5 years...I will take those numbers over could-be numbers.

cbotnyse
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Easy - he plays right and leads off.Pods to the bench?

SouthSoxFan
This seems like a yankee move. You mean like the Yankees that won the title 4 out 5 years from 1996-2000 ? And have been to the playoffs 11 years running.

FielderJones
This just seems odd. Kenny manages to operate under the radar all the time. The deal makes no sense as we need pitching much more than we need more sluggers. I'll believe this when I see it.

MagicNumber22
You're right. Everyone crapped themselves when KW traded CLee for Pods/Vizciano. Even if this deal goes down (which I doubt it will), our lineup would look scary to opposing teams.

SoxxoS
07-24-2006, 03:28 PM
The saving grace in losing McCarthy is that KW knows what he has in him.

nasox
BMAC should not be traded.

Please note that I used BMAC to see if the filter is on. It wasn't on in What's the Score.

Ol' No. 2
Then if he were to end up in Detroit or Minny everybody would be bitching that KW didn't do anything and let his rivals beat him to the punch.

As PHG once said: "You have to break some eggs to make an omelette."You don't screw up your own team to keep your rivals from getting better.

VASoxfan1
07-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I think trading Mccarthy weakens our pen. Then who are the righty out guys? Riske and macdougal? I don't think thats good for the long term and the short term. Soriano while good isn't a need. We have solid lefty hitting in Thome (great) and AJ (solid). Has soriano ever been a regular lead off hitter? if anything he's better in the 2 hole but then where do you put iguchi?

MushMouth
I wonder if we traded Pods for MacDougal?

Baby Fisk
This deal is a ruse.

:KW
"Shh!"

NonetheLoaiza
You don't screw up your own team to keep your rivals from getting better.
The New York Yankees might disagree with you.

spiffie
This is the first headline when you go to ESPN.com, which makes me think that there is at least some fire along with this smoke. Usually the rumors get buried in the mlb section. This is front and center as damn near a finished thing.

MagicNumber22
But if KW is putting up a smoke screen, he's doing a hell of a job.

Clembasbal

Did somebody say Randy Myers?

russ99
07-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Heyman on CNN/SI (earlier today) said:

And Bowden's request of the White Sox might be even more onerous. According to an executive with another team, Bowden requested top third-base prospect Josh Fields and right-handed pitcher Lance Broadway, who, judging by his name, seems more suited for New York than any other team. The White Sox, whose real need is for relief pitching, are said to be a "long shot'' in the Soriano Derby, and it's no wonder, since they probably wouldn't consent to surrendering even one of those minor leaguers.

He seems to think that Soriano's going to the Yanks. We'll see.

salty99
And Soriano can play 2nd to spell Iguchi if needed. Maybe someone at the zoo tomorrow can ask Pods about this..hahaha.

SoxxoS
You're right. Everyone crapped themselves when KW traded CLee for Pods/Vizciano. Even if this deal goes down (which I doubt it will), our lineup would look scary to opposing teams.

I think our lineup is already scary.

Jjav829

Where else is it being reported besides ESPN?

If we get Soriano this early, he's not staying. I think the reason Kenny would push to get a Soriano deal done now is so he has time to flip him somewhere else. I'd hate the idea of giving up McCarthy, but if Kenny does this deal with McCarthy, it's to trade him somewhere else. Think of it this way. Right now Bowden is in the driver's seat. He has probably the most valued available player in baseball. So Kenny comes in, offers up a nice package of players and gets Soriano. Now he holds the big chip and has the ability to determine where Soriano goes. He can deal Soriano elsewhere to make up for what he traded to get Soriano, and in the process keep Soriano out of the AL Central.

At least that's how I see it, because it really doesn't make a lot of sense to keep Soriano and let him walk. But hey, who knows. Maybe Kenny has plans to re-sign Soriano. Maybe he figures he can keep Soriano for now, then re-sign him in the offseason, trade Crede for pitching and let Fields take over 3B.

But my best guess is that Kenny wants to move Soriano for pitching. Who knows what other teams are really offering for Soriano. Like Kenny has said, this is a seller's market.

salty99
I wonder if we traded Pods for MacDougal?

That would be insane

Tekijawa
07-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Podsednik spent 2 years in CF in Milwaukee. He will be fine there. I just hope he isn't part of the trade. I just hate to see a lot of the players from the '05 team go. Podsednik is still an integral part of this team.

We are not the Milwaukee Brewers of 3 years ago... we need someone who can actually play the position.

Lip Man 1
Assuming this comes to pass and assuming everyone is healthy MacDougal could really help.

Regarding Soriano why does everyone automatically assume the Sox won't sign him to an extension? These are the 'new' Sox folks with a 100 million dollar payroll...it's not the bad old days anymore.

Lip

FielderJones
I'll believe this when I see it posted on Whitesox.com. This just seems totally out of character for Kenny to let this much info out of the bag.

thepaulbowski

Besides Dotel, Buck is only guy they gave up and he hasn't really done anything special yet.

Jaffar
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Kurkjan or however you spell it said not to count the Tigers out. Maybe Kenny is selling his bluff better then we could have imagined. The tigers drastically overpay and look like they won the battle.

CLR01
If we hurt the bullpen to pick up more offense I am going to be sick.

delben91
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/24/bowden/index.html

Read 5 paragraphs in. Just something to keep in mind.

EDIT: russ beat me to it.

SOecks
Obviously I'll wait until any details come out, but with what I know so far about these trades I don't like it at all. And if they're giving up that much to get Soriano I hope it's contingent on a contract extension and we do what we did when Garcia came over.

russ99
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Besides Dotel, Buck is only guy they gave up and he hasn't really done anything special yet.

Yeah, but their offense has yet to recover from losing such an impact player.

Clemens stalling tactics 2 offseasons ago led to the lack of a quality replacement. Preston Wilson's not it, obviously.

lukeman89
07-24-2006, 03:33 PM
i think there are more liabilities that KW could fix by trading brandon. we can win without soriano, and brandon can definitley help us win this year and the next couple of years. i just dont think its worth it. but if kw pulled this trade off, i dont think you would see me complaining because soriano is one hell of a player. it boggles my mind how so much power can come from a guy as skinny as he is.

thepaulbowski
07-24-2006, 03:34 PM

I wouldn't consider this deal screwing up your own team.

SoxxoS
Who would you rather give up - Broadway or McCarthy?

Chicago
McCarthy for Soriano
Anderson for MacDougal

lineup

Podsednik LF
Soriano CF
Thome DH
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Iguchi 2B
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

hawkeyesrule
Who was it that broke the Junior Griffey trade to the Sox last year? This trade doesn't make much sense if we give up BMac. Freddy or JV will be gone within a couple years and we need another starter.

hawkeyesrule
Who was it that broke the Junior Griffey trade to the Sox last year? This trade doesn't make much sense if we give up BMac. Freddy or JV will be gone within a couple years and we need another starter.

SouthSoxFan
07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Lefty pitchers are killin' us. Soriano changes that. Pods can still find some playing time, perhaps the occasional platoon in CF (instead of Rob). Pinch running duty more likely. Can also work on his bunting.

TornLabrum
Let's see, Levine (who happens to work for ESPN) reports it. Then Kirkjian (who works for ESPN) reports it. Then it's on ESPNews. Yeah, it's breaking out all over the place.

salty99
Soriano in center would also be insane.

russ99
Who would you rather give up - Broadway or McCarthy?

I'll take c) Neither.

Anderson is way too much to give up for McDougal.

buehrle4cy05
But my best guess is that Kenny wants to move Soriano for pitching. Who knows what other teams are really offering for Soriano. Like Kenny has said, this is a seller's market.

Dontrelle Willis?

Should that be in deep pink?

thepaulbowski
Yeah, but their offense has yet to recover from losing such an impact player.

Clemens stalling tactics 2 offseasons ago led to the lack of a quality replacement. Preston Wilson's not it, obviously.

:?: They made it to the World Series last year didn't they?

A. Cavatica
07-24-2006, 03:36 PM
If we dealt McCarthy for Soriano straight up, then nothing less than another WS title this year would placate me. Of course, the deal won't be straight up; there will be other players/cash involved, and maybe other trades with other teams.

thepaulbowski
Let's see, Levine (who happens to work for ESPN) reports it. Then Kirkjian (who works for ESPN) reports it. Then it's on ESPNews. Yeah, it's breaking out all over the place.

Next Up, ESPN Mobile! :cool:

buehrle4cy05
Anderson for MacDougal

Hell no. I like MacDougal, but not for Anderson.

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Crazy idea but here is what I think. The deal is done. KW did it today giving him 6 days to work a contract out. If he doesn't get a deal done he would turn around and deal Soriano for the king's ransom. How about a Soriano, Uribe for Arod deal? Or how bad does Detroit wanna make the playoffs, give us Zumaya and Verlander. Anaheim you want someone to bat behind Vlad all we want is Figgins, Santana, and another relief pitcher, don't worry we'll give you your choice of either Freddy or Javy. Or we could just rape someone elses farm system thus becoming Mccarthy for someone's farm.

bayzbol44
IF we get Soriano, we went from Small ball to BIG ball. I thought this was the problem 2 years ago when we had too many bats in the lineup?

INSox56
Sox "extremely close" to getting soriano...Nats interested in Bmac.

Mike Macdougal from Royals for Ty Lumsden rumored as well

russ99
:?: They made it to the World Series last year didn't they?

That was solely on the backs of outstanding pitching. They struggled to score in the Series and are completely abysmal at the plate now.

I doubt the Astros will trade for a potential FA at the deadline for a very long time after getting burned by Randy Johnson and Beltran.

CAREY33
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I don't think the Sorinao deal is a good deal for the Sox. As stated before trading a young pitcher for a hitter who could end up being simply a 3 month player is not worth it. Also, this would probably mean that Pods would move to center and Soriano would play left unless Kenny has another deal for a CF up his sleeve, correct ? Pods in center and Soriano in left dramatically downgrades our defense. Soriano is a great hitter, just don't think our offense is in that desperate of a positon to have to aquire a hitter at this high of a price.

NonetheLoaiza
You should probably look at the other 17 threads...

RedHeadPaleHoser
Sox "extremely close" to getting soriano...Nats interested in Fingernails on a blackboard.

Mike Macdougal from Royals for Ty Lumsden rumored as well

Check What's the Score...megathread there.

INSox56
disregard...or use this thread. :wink: What's the score wasn't loading when I tried it. Sorry mods.

Gavin
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
IF we get Soriano, we went from Small ball to BIG ball. I thought this was the problem 2 years ago when we had too many bats in the lineup?

Soriano can do both.

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't consider this deal screwing up your own team.Why the hell not? Screw HR. You don't need HR from your leadoff hitter. AT BEST, Soriano is equivalent to Pods on defense and as a leadoff hitter, and that's being generous to Soriano. So we give up McCarthy for no improvement? Makes a lot of sense to me.

phanreign
07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I'll take Soriano if it means the Tiger's don't get him.

John
phanreign@comcast.net
http://www.phantomreign.net

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Soriano can do both.
Exactly. Guys, this is the best all over offensive player in baseball. And like another poster says, whose to say we don't lock him up for a few years? We'd get a great leadoff/power guy who can also STEAL BASES! Remember those?

Minnie Me
07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Also, weren't Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo future stars? KW is the best GM in baseball and has proven it over and over. Win now, Kenny...I don't want to wait another 89 years.

With these deals you could have a lineup of:
Pods
Soriano
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Iguchi
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Are you kidding me? Crede in the 8 hole? Soriano, Thome, Konerko, and Dye in a row? That is approaching 27 yankees type stuff.

Then in the playoffs you go:
Contreras
Garland
Buerhle
Garcia

Those guys give you 6 and you have Cotts, Thorton, and MacDougal (not to mention Vazquez if need be) for the 7th and 8th and Jenks for the 9th. You guys wouldn't do this just b/c MacCarthy may be a good pitcher in the future????

Just to see this lineup would be so exciting. Do it Kenny!

Mohoney

Our problem 2 years ago was that we didn't PITCH!

If we traded McCarthy and other prospects for Soriano, then flipped Soriano for Verlander and Zumaya, then KW should be coronated the King of Chicago because he just upgraded from McCarthy to Verlander.

SoxxoS
Come to think of it...I have read the Yanks really want Soriano back. HMMMMMMM :o:

I would LOVE to turn around and deal Soriano for AROD.

AROD gets such a bum rap for being the freakin MVP. Some new york fans are clowns.

Soriano, Uribe and mid level pitching prospect for AROD and $$$, possibly?

salty99
07-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Exactly. Guys, this is the best all over offensive player in baseball. And like another poster says, whose to say we don't lock him up for a few years? We'd get a great leadoff/power guy who can also STEAL BASES! Remember those?

Best overall offensive player! Ummm OK! I mean he's a good player, but that's a little out of control.

soxfan13
07-24-2006, 03:44 PM
Why the hell not? Screw HR. You don't need HR from your leadoff hitter. AT BEST, Soriano is equivalent to Pods on defense and as a leadoff hitter, and that's being generous to Soriano. So we give up McCarthy for no improvement? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Probably on par defensively as Pods, very good speed, better power and better average. I think the edge would go to Soriano

buehrle4cy05
07-24-2006, 03:44 PM

If we traded McCarthy and other prospects for Soriano, then flipped Soriano for Verlander and Zumaya, then KW should be coronated the King of Chicago because he just upgraded from McCarthy to Verlander.

If we could do that, give KW GM of the year for the next decade.

CHIsoxNation
07-24-2006, 03:45 PM

I haven't seen his stats, but I believe he strikes out a lot...a little too much for a lead off guy. What kind of OBP does he have too? He doesn't seem like a guy that likes to walk a lot but then again I haven't seen him play much outside the "Touch Em All" segments of Baseball Tonight.

White Sox Randy
THE MACDOUGALD TRADE IS GREAT !

The McCarthy trade blows !

VASoxfan1
Keep Arod away from this team at all costs..........thats all i have to say about that, he's a head case.

who do you want in your rotation in two years McCarthy or Vazquez and/or Garcia..........we all know the answer to that

russ99
07-24-2006, 03:46 PM
If we could do that, give KW GM of the year for the next decade.

Yeah, as if Detroit would trade away their two great rookie pitchers to their greatest rival. I don't think so.

SportsPg

WOW, this is HUGE.

Kenny Williams is certainly willing to roll the dice - not sure if trading McCarthy is the way to go, but man will our lineup be SICK with Soriano added to it.

I also like the MacDougal angle, he would be a great right handed setup guy for us.

CLR01
Come to think of it...I have read the Yanks really want Soriano back. HMMMMMMM :o:

AROD gets such a bum rap for being the freakin MVP. Some new york fans are clowns.

Can AROD pitch? If not no. Same for Soriano.

TheOldRoman
Why the hell not? Screw HR. You don't need HR from your leadoff hitter. AT BEST, Soriano is equivalent to Pods on defense and as a leadoff hitter, and that's being generous to Soriano. So we give up McCarthy for no improvement? Makes a lot of sense to me.
I thought the whole point of building a team was to acquire as many all-or-nothing power hitters as possible? If we have four 40 HR hitters, they might as well hand us the trophy now. Pitching schmitching.

MagicNumber22
07-24-2006, 03:47 PM
What if...

KW acquired Soriano and then turned around and traded him again before the deadline? Then he holds all the cards and teams will be groveling at his feet (not like the weren't before).

buehrle4cy05
This has well surpassed the frenzy last year over Griffey and Burnett...this has to be about the 10th thread on this already.

MadetoOrta

I'd rather Soriano + Uribe for Arod + $$$$$$$$$ [pay 45% of remaining money]. I'd trade Mac for Arod.

DaleJRFan
I like what The Cheat over at SouthSideSox has to say about this:

Let's all pretend we didn't see this.
http://southsidesox.com/story/2006/7/24/151640/464

SoxxoS
Keep Arod away from this team at all costs..........thats all i have to say about that, he's a head case.

You don't win MVP's and batting titles being a headcase. Try to do your job with a million micro managers saying you suck at every turn. He definitely is not a head case. A head case is Rick Ankiel and Chuck Knoblauch.

CLR01

WOW, this is HUGE.

Kenny Williams is certainly willing to roll the dice - not sure if trading McCarthy is the way to go, but man will our lineup be SICK with Soriano added to it.

I also like the MacDougal angle, he would be a great right handed setup guy for us.

HOLY CRAP I CAN"T LOOK AROUND FOR THE 200 POST THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rgilliam32
WOW

Either that or they are just upping the anti for Detroit.

I'd have to believe this is the real deal though.

Either way... brilliant Kenny, Brilliant!

AnkleSox

I don't see why the Tigers would deal 2 young, dominant arms who should be under their control for a while for a rent-a-player, even if it is soriano, especially to a contender within their own division.

Law11
I don't think the Sorinao deal is a good deal for the Sox. As stated before trading a young pitcher for a hitter who could end up being simply a 3 month player is not worth it.

if a 3 month player is the difference to get us to another WS do it.
I know... Thats a big "if"..

Deuce
07-24-2006, 03:48 PM
Dude, What's the Score?!?!

spawn
Does anyone know how to do a search anymore? How many times does this thread need to get re-started???

Ol' No. 2
Probably on par defensively as Pods, very good speed, better power and better average. I think the edge would go to SorianoNot as good defensively, but the difference is small. But far worse offensively. Don't be fooled by his OBP this year - it's a career high and in the NL. Against AL Central pitching he'd be lucky to post a .300 OBP - with 150 strikeouts a year.

Hawkeroo1980
Dude, What's the Score?!?!

Game hasn't started yet......

Beer Can Chicken
07-24-2006, 03:49 PM
If we actually sign Soriano to an extension, I'd be a fan of trading for him. I'm not sure I'd trade McCarthy for a2-month rental
The guy is an eletric player though, it would be great to watch him in our line-up.

DickAllen72

Yeah, that's gonna happen. Detroit can't wait to trade two top pitchers to the Sox.

BeviBall!
Best overall offensive player! Ummm OK! I mean he's a good player, but that's a little out of control.

Name me one better. The guy has 31 HRs and 25 SBs right now. Hitting .288 with 67 RBIs on the Nationals of all crappy teams.

Minnie Me
Our Sox are in the drivers seat:

A) GM who knows how to deal
B) Tradeable major and minor league talent both position and pitching
C) Management and Coaching Staff on same page
D) Players want to come to the Sox

ChicagoG19
Dang it , you beat me to it. Yeah, I just heard on Espnews and Tim Kurkjin is the one who stated it. I have no problem with it if Kenny doesn't give up Bmac or takes Sorian and turns it around and trades for another pitcher. (I am hoping Sorian goes to San Fran if you know what I mean).

TheOldRoman
What if...

KW acquired Soriano and then turned around and traded him again before the deadline? Then he holds all the cards and teams will be groveling at his feet (not like the weren't before).
Unless those groveling teams are offering us Fransisco Liriano, Felix Hernandez, or Jerred Weaver, I don't want to move McCarthy to get back prospects.

Deuce
07-24-2006, 03:50 PM
Game hasn't started yet......You're wrong, my man. The game is afoot. :redneck

SouthSoxFan
McCarthy may have hit his peak trade value. His value is still in potential, not in his current performance (take a look at his numbers this year, pretty mediocre). As time elapses, potential only decreases. There may be no better time to deal him. For this year, 2006, what he's doing for us is very replaceable.

kevingrt
God this is not looking good. Why Soriano?

russ99
07-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Name me one better. The guy has 31 HRs and 25 SBs right now. Hitting .288 with 67 RBIs on the Nationals of all crappy teams.

Hm... Let's see..... Albert Pujols?!?

I'd actually rather have Dye than Soriano, given the choice.

rsmithx
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
According to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494) the Sox are close to a trade with KC that would have them acquiring MacDougal and packaging him along with Brandon McCarthy to the Nationals for Soriano.

SportsPg
07-24-2006, 03:53 PM
oops, sorry for the double post all, I did not look in this forum :o:

Don't flame the posting n00b too badly, I'm a lurker by nature :D:

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Pujols can steal bases? All-around is my claim. Obviously Albert is a better hitter. I'm a huge Soriano guy and this has me juiced.

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM

I'd actually rather have Dye than Soriano, given the choice.No!!! Alfonso Soriano is the best offensive player in the game!!!

Jeez, have people lost their freaking minds???

Deuce
Is anyone keeping count of how many Soriano threads have been started today? Seems like one is popping up every few minutes.

SoxxoS
Unless those groveling teams are offering us Fransisco Liriano, Felix Hernandez, or Jerred Weaver, I don't want to move McCarthy to get back prospects.

McCarthy isn't close to the level of "prospects" of those 3 -

Argalarga
Getting Soriano plays to this team's strengths. Like or not, this isn't the same team as 2005. The pitching isn't there, which means the offense has to be stronger to compensate. Soriano would give us the best lineup in the majors, and I'm comfortable giving up a few prospects to do that.

spawn
07-24-2006, 03:55 PM
No!!! Alfonso Soriano is the best offensive player in the game!!!

Jeez, have people lost their freaking minds???
In a word...yes.

buehrle4cy05
07-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah, as if Detroit would trade away their two great rookie pitchers to their greatest rival. I don't think so.

Exactly, not going to happen, which is why I said KW would get the award for the next 10 years.

nug0hs
there are over 140 people viewing this thread, maybe we should all move to the chat?

WS in 05
Just got back from the moon and heard that the sox are extremely close to landing soriano for maccarthy wow I wish I had some more info

CLR01
07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
According to ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494) the Sox are close to a trade with KC that would have them acquiring MacDougal and packaging him along with Brandon McCarthy to the Nationals for Soriano.

This deal keeps getting worse. Maye they should throw in Jenks to get it done and stop the rumors. :puking:

DaleJRFan
I have **** to do at work. Someone poke me when this is all over.... :rolleyes:

soxfan13
McCarthy isn't close to the level of "prospects" of those 3 -

According to alot of people here hes better:rolleyes:

ChiSoxGirl
Take McCarthy's name out of this speculation...please! I'm a member of the "DO NOT TRADE MCCARTHY" camp, especially if it'd be for a rent-a-player, ala Soriano.

KW has said it numerous times- McCarthy is an untouchable, so I don't see why now he'd suddenly be willing to move the guy. McCarthy is young, he's filled with potential, and we've seen what he can do on the mound, i.e. the make up game in Boston on Labor Day 2005.

As many of us said in August of last year after the Griffey, Jr. rumors died down, the trade deadline had passed, and Griffey got hurt, sometimes it's the trades you DON'T make that help a team succeed.

salty99
07-24-2006, 03:58 PM

DING DING DING!

MagicNumber22
Is Billy Koch still available?

BeviBall!
As has been brought up a few times, all this is doing, if not landing an all-star, is driving up the asking price for Minny and Detroit.

It's almost win/win. I just don't get the Soriano hate. It's hard to find a guy of this calibur. I love Abreu as well, but he shows signs of slipping. Soriano is just about to enter his prime. He would destory at the Cell.

Gavin
07-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Getting Soriano plays to this team's strengths. Like or not, this isn't the same team as 2005. The pitching isn't there, which means the offense has to be stronger to compensate. Soriano would give us the best lineup in the majors, and I'm comfortable giving up a few prospects to do that.

Exactly. 2005's "Ozzie Ball" is not happening when your pitching is giving up a ton of runs.

credefan24
I hope this deal doesn't go through.

maybe it's a smoke screen by KW, to get McDougal, and drive the price up on Soriano?
FOB is a starter next year, and one of the solid long relief guys in the pen.

And by the way, 161 people in on this thread! wow,

Edited to add: But then again, I also thought Pods for El Caballo was bad, so what the heck do I know? In Kenny we trust.

Ol' No. 2
As has been brought up a few times, all this is doing, if not landing an all-star, is driving up the asking price for Minny and Detroit.

It's almost win/win. I just don't get the Soriano hate. It's hard to find a guy of this calibur. I love Abreu as well, but he shows signs of slipping. Soriano is just about to enter his prime. He would destory at the Cell.That's what I'm worried about.

UofCSoxFan
07-24-2006, 04:01 PM
MacCarthy is 3 and 4 with a 4.11 ERA. He's not exactly carrying the pitching staff this year. People say we need more pitching and that this trade would only hurt our pitching. If we get MacDougal we've more than replaced MacCarthy.

I'm still pretty confident our starters as constructed are better than anything we'd get in a trade.

You can't claim that pitching carried us last year and in the same sentence say that our current pitchers can't get it done.

Look at the last starts of Contreras, Garcia, and Garland.

salty99
07-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Man we must be really scared of Dmitri Young coming back

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 04:02 PM
That's what I'm worried about.

:D: I'm worried about this too, but I just adore this guy's game. I like McCarthy as well, and all trades involve risk. But knowing KW's track record, you know that we'd have a good shot of signing him long term.

I'm going to stop getting excited until this is official.

jdm2662
07-24-2006, 04:02 PM
:hawk

Where's he going to play??

I don't really think I like the outfield consisting of both Sorinano and Pods. :o:

I'm willing to think if this is true, Pods might be going. I don't think he's going to be back next year, and Anderson isn't going anywhere.

White Sox Randy
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
When all the smoke clears and all the details are announced, I don't care if we keep Soriano or trade him away AS LONG AS McCARTHY'S NAME IS NOT INCLUDED !

FloridaSox
07-24-2006, 04:03 PM
From ESPN.com Rumor Central

"Sori to the South Side?
Jul 24 - A source told ESPN's Tim Kurkjian that a deal that would send Alfonso Soriano to the White Sox is "extremely close" to happening. The package is expected to include 23-year-old right-hander Brandon McCarthy. The White Sox would then reportedly fill McCarthy's spot in the bullpen by making a separate trade with the Royals for Mike MacDougal."

SoxFan78
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Everybody has to trade KW. He's not gonna do something to hurt this team. I cannot believe he would trade McCarthy and prospect for Soriano. Sox don't need more offensive help, they need pitching.

In Kenny I trust.

nug0hs
07-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Check out the MASSIVE post in What's The Score?

SABRSox
When all the smoke clears and all the details are announced, I don't care if we keep Soriano or trade him away AS LONG AS McCARTHY'S NAME IS NOT INCLUDED !

Honestly, I don't care who they trade or for whom they trade, so long as the result is another World Series Championship.

In Kenny We Trust.

chaerulez
MacCarthy is 3 and 4 with a 4.11 ERA. He's not exactly carrying the pitching staff this year. People say we need more pitching and that this trade would only hurt our pitching. If we get MacDougal we've more than replaced MacCarthy.

I'm still pretty confident our starters as constructed are better than anything we'd get in a trade.

You can't claim that pitching carried us last year and in the same sentence say that our current pitchers can't get it done.

Look at the last starts of Contreras, Garcia, and Garland.

If you think Mike MacDougal "more than replaces" McCarthy, you are very very mistaken.

chisoxfan79
Word has Detriot AAA starter Humberto Sanchez was scratched from his start tonight

kevingrt
I feel sorry for the mods at WSI

patbooyah
07-24-2006, 04:07 PM
if this were true there would already be a huge thread about it. i'm not buying.

JohnTucker0814
07-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Don't give up Pods or Anderson... put Soriano in LF full time... put Pods in center instead of when Mack is out there... Pods is better in center than Machowiak... Then you'll have Pods/Anderson sharing CF duties... whats wrong with this... we've all been complaining about Rob Mack in CF... Pods can't be worse!!!!

You can't pass up Soriano, esp if MacDougal is there to replace MR for Brandon...

win/win!!!

salty99
07-24-2006, 04:08 PM
There is a huge thread in What's the Score

SABRSox
07-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Word has Detriot AAA starter Humberto Sanchez was scratched from his start tonight

Confirmed: Link (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20060724/SPORTS19/60724008&e=15007&sa=X&oi=news&ct=result&cd=1)

Article says health reasons. I don't buy that.

sircaffey1
07-24-2006, 04:09 PM
"We need pitching!" "Upgrade the pitching!"

WHERE???????? People are crying for pitching help, but where is KW going to get some. The chances of upgrading this rotation is about 1%. And you think the cost would be anything less than McCarthy +others? There is much more quality offense on the market than quality pitching. A ton more. The price for a great pitcher would be more than Soriano.

DSpivack
Can someone tell me why Soriano has hit leadoff in DC? He has 31 HRs, playing in RFK :o:, and driven in almost 70.

My thoughts and comments on this are irrevelant because I trust KW for whatever he does.

Yes, I would be pissed to see McCarthy traded.

Yes, I would be concerned about Soriano in the OF.

but as I said, KW makes the calls, he has not led me to believe that he has made a bad one yet.

oeo
07-24-2006, 04:10 PM
If you think Mike MacDougal "more than replaces" McCarthy, you are very very mistaken.

*** does that do, though? If we trade McCarthy, we're still down a righty in the pen. Not to mention, years of service as a starter, as well.

PLEASE do not trade Brandon.

DaleJRFan
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=75720

cbotnyse
Don't give up Pods or Anderson... put Soriano in LF full time... put Pods in center instead of when Mack is out there... Pods is better in center than Machowiak... Then you'll have Pods/Anderson sharing CF duties... whats wrong with this... we've all been complaining about Rob Mack in CF... Pods can't be worse!!!!

You can't pass up Soriano, esp if MacDougal is there to replace MR for Brandon...

win/win!!!these are my feelings as well

russ99
Here's Soriano's last 3 AL seasons averaged and extrapolated into the 65 games the Sox have remaining in the regular season:

AB: 212
R: 32
H: 59
2B: 12
3B: 1
HR: 11
RBI: 31
BB: 11
SO: 41
SB: 9
CS: 2
AVG: .279
OBP: .324
SLG: .506

Is that worth McCarthy and a prospect? I don't think so.

Sure he'd probably hit a little better than that, since he's playing for a contract and he hits well at the Cell.

White Sox Randy
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
This is great. Now, when Javy or Buehrle pitches, we can lose 7-5 instead of 7-3.

And, next year when Soriano is gone, then we can say that for McCarthy we got....ummm....

JohnTucker0814
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
can Soriano bunt??? if he can... you have to get him!

SABRSox
07-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Look at it this way:

This trading deadline is going to be one of the most sluggish trading markets ever. 19 teams are within 6 games of a playoff spot. Even the Braves, who are 6 games under .500, think they are still in it.

Soriano is the biggest name in this weak, weak market. Considering that, maybe McCarthy is worth it.

I know everyone wants a stud reliever, but honestly, I'd rather try to sign Soriano at $10mil per than Tom Gordon at the same price.

StepsInSC
07-24-2006, 04:14 PM

Just say no to drugs.

Ol' No. 2
Here's another angle to think about. Soriano is said to want a 4-year, $60M deal to stay with the Nats. He'll certainly want similar numbers to re-sign with the Sox, should they acquire him. Where's that money going to come from? The Sox would be trading McCarthy (near the minumum) and Pods (probably would get $2-3M in arb.) and adding $15M a year in payroll. Buehrle, Crede, Garcia and Garland are due big raises next year.

This make absolutely no sense from a payroll standpoint.

Minnie Me

win/win!!!

Right on. Pods in CF a big upgrade on Mack. Now you can move Mack, see ya. And you would never see Pablo in LF. Gload is also expendable then.
Now you have Mack and Gload plus some minor league arms to trade. Granted Mack and Gload may not bring much in return but in a package with some young arms its enough to bring Soriano. With Sorinao the Sox would have the best hitting lineup in sox history. Sox will have to hit there way thru the playoffs this year. Every year is different.

Law11
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
well MacDougal is now ours as repoted from the Score.
Im sure theres a postthat beat me to it

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM

Didn't realize that. However, I think we can all agree that McCarthy has a much greater chance to succeed in the majors than Buck, especially considering McCarthy is already past "prospect" status; he is a bonafide major leaguer.