PDA

View Full Version : Toons GM talking tough


Jerry_Manuel
02-16-2002, 10:37 PM
From the Trib:
Talking tough: New Indians GM Mark Shapiro might have traded Roberto Alomar and failed to re-sign Juan Gonzalez and Kenny Lofton—who have combined for 20 All-Star seasons—but he doesn't want his players to think less of their team.

"I like our team to win it," Shapiro said of the AL Central. "I think the White Sox have a better lineup than us, but I like our rotation and bullpen. The Twins have a better rotation, but we have a better lineup and bullpen. I know some of the White Sox players already have given themselves the division, but the last time I checked the Twins were a pretty good team. I expect a three-team race."

guillen4life13
02-16-2002, 11:03 PM
it's really really doubtful, but from where I see it, I think the twins have a better chance than us.

they have better pitching, and that's the single most important aspect of baseball. i mean, look at their top four compared to ours:

Mays vs. Buehrle ADV: TC
Radke vs. Ritchie ADV: TC
Milton vs. Parque/Garland ADV: TC
Reed vs. Parque/Garland ADV: TC
??? vs ??? ADV: ???

Closer: ADV White Sox
Setup: ADV: prolly TC (who's their setup man?)
Long Relief: ADV: White Sox (failed starters go to pen)

As for offense, we can justifiably say we have the upper hand. If Doug Meintkiewicz turns in a seasonlike last year's, and so does Cristian Guzman, we may have trouble in that department as well. I think their achilles heel is all of the talk that has been going on about their demise. It won't happen this year, but the players will still, at least in the beginning, have a feeling of doubt with them. Near the end of the season, depending on attendance and their overall W-L record, they will either cower in defeat, and accept the possibility that many of the players on that team will not play on the same team with each other again, or they will be headed to the playoffs. I feel each to be just as likely. As I said earlier, pitching is the most important part of baseball. but that's just my opinion. analyze/criticize this.


BTW sorry about my reaction to one of your posts, randar. i guess i was having a bad day or something, and remember, i'm a friggin teenager, and i guess when i'm having a bad day, if anyone, even unintentionally prods a fuse, i just blow up. again, i'm really sorry about that. i'll do my best to think before i write in the future.

Pete_SSAC
02-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Don't worry, I'm working on a 'Toon Rock tag

- Pete

Soxheads
02-16-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
it's really really doubtful, but from where I see it, I think the twins have a better chance than us.

they have better pitching, and that's the single most important aspect of baseball. i mean, look at their top four compared to ours:

Mays vs. Buehrle ADV: TC
Radke vs. Ritchie ADV: TC
Milton vs. Parque/Garland ADV: TC
Reed vs. Parque/Garland ADV: TC
??? vs ??? ADV: ???

Closer: ADV White Sox
Setup: ADV: prolly TC (who's their setup man?)
Long Relief: ADV: White Sox (failed starters go to pen)

As for offense, we can justifiably say we have the upper hand. If Doug Meintkiewicz turns in a seasonlike last year's, and so does Cristian Guzman, we may have trouble in that department as well. I think their achilles heel is all of the talk that has been going on about their demise. It won't happen this year, but the players will still, at least in the beginning, have a feeling of doubt with them. Near the end of the season, depending on attendance and their overall W-L record, they will either cower in defeat, and accept the possibility that many of the players on that team will not play on the same team with each other again, or they will be headed to the playoffs. I feel each to be just as likely. As I said earlier, pitching is the most important part of baseball. but that's just my opinion. analyze/criticize this.


BTW sorry about my reaction to one of your posts, randar. i guess i was having a bad day or something, and remember, i'm a friggin teenager, and i guess when i'm having a bad day, if anyone, even unintentionally prods a fuse, i just blow up. again, i'm really sorry about that. i'll do my best to think before i write in the future.

You must be having a bad day. :(:

guillen4life13
02-16-2002, 11:34 PM
idk. i'm just trying to be realistic. i have had a long day now that you say it, but not one with much negativity. lol. the twins seriously can give us a run for the money, and you have to admit at least that much.

Soxheads
02-16-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
idk. i'm just trying to be realistic. i have had a long day now that you say it, but not one with much negativity. lol. the twins seriously can give us a run for the money, and you have to admit at least that much.

I don't really think so at this point. Look at the heads©-o-meter. I'm pretty darn confident. The Twins are in dissaray, so that's helping my decision.

Daver
02-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
idk. i'm just trying to be realistic. i have had a long day now that you say it, but not one with much negativity. lol. the twins seriously can give us a run for the money, and you have to admit at least that much.

I can admit that,they potentially have the talent to do it,but that whole team is a question mark,Reed wants out,their mananger was hired as a lame duck that was expected to last one season,and they still have a questionable offense.I don't think they can repeat what they did last year without Tom Kelly.

Soxheads
02-17-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by daver


I can admit that,they potentially have the talent to do it,but that whole team is a question mark,Reed wants out,their mananger was hired as a lame duck that was expected to last one season,and they still have a questionable offense.I don't think they can repeat what they did last year without Tom Kelly.

I doubt they will finish above .500 ......

WinningUgly!
02-17-2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads


I don't really think so at this point. Look at the heads©-o-meter. I'm pretty darn confident. The Twins are in dissaray, so that's helping my decision.

The heads©-o-meter...I love it :D:

Soxheads
02-17-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!


The heads©-o-meter...I love it :D:

I'm going to have to get it in image form soon....

RedPinStripes
02-17-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
From the Trib:


All aboard!!!!!!!!!!
:partybus