PDA

View Full Version : 1906 uniforms

32nd&Wallace
07-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Anyone know why the Sox wore their throwbacks today? Also, Comcast did a cool special on old South Side Park on the post-game show. Watching the special it struck me that no other franchise has been in the same location for a longer period of time.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Anyone know why the Sox wore their throwbacks today? Also, Comcast did a cool special on old South Side Park on the post-game show. Watching the special it struck me that no other franchise has been in the same location for a longer period of time.

It suprised me today at the game when I saw Man So Lee wearing the 1906 jersey, that is when I saw it first. My guess Garland picked the jerseys to help end the losing streak.

slobes
07-23-2006, 07:17 PM
It suprised me today at the game when I saw Man So Lee wearing the 1906 jersey, that is when I saw it first. My guess Garland picked the jerseys to help end the losing streak.

I know that the starting pitcher picks which uni the team wears, but do they have the power to pick throwbacks as well?

whitesoxfan
07-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm surprised we haven't worn these jerseys more. I thought the plan was to wear these every Sunday home game, like we did with the retro unis in 2001. I think they look pretty nice, and I would like to see them in use for the rest of the Sunday home games this season.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm surprised we haven't worn these jerseys more. I thought the plan was to wear these every Sunday home game, like we did with the retro unis in 2001. I think they look pretty nice, and I would like to see them in use for the rest of the Sunday home games this season.

After todays win, we just might see them more.

Soxfanspcu11
07-23-2006, 08:33 PM

I don't think Garland, or any of the players for that matter can pick the throwbacks. I remember Brooks on Chicago Tribune Live a few months ago saying that MLB regulates the use of throwbacks. Why? I have no idea. I'm sure Bud has a very good reason though. :rolleyes:

MeteorsSox4367
07-23-2006, 08:46 PM
I'd like to see the red pinstripes from the early 70s in the Melton-Allen era. Those were the first unis I remember. Also, I still like the ones the Sox wore in Cleveland a few years ago. I believe they were from 1953-54 with "Chicago" across the front.

Simple but sweet.

KONERKOSBALDSPOT
07-23-2006, 08:51 PM
My understanding was that we were supposed to wear the 1906 alternates every home Sunday. However, IIRC, we lost the first Sunday we wore them, and after that we shelved them. We might've worn them 2 Sundays in a row. I could be wrong.

Kogs35
07-23-2006, 08:53 PM
IIRC they where spose to be worn 4 times during the season for sunday games. so i assume we will see them atleast 2 more times.

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Does anyone think the Sox will celebrate the 30th anniversary of 1977 South Side Hit Men with throwback uniforms in 2007?

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Does anyone think the Sox will celebrate the 30th anniversary of 1977 South Side Hit Men with throwback uniforms in 2007?

Possible, I'd like to see it.

Soxfanspcu11
07-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't mind them bringing back the shorts!

Could you imagine Bobby in some tighty's! :o:

KONERKOSBALDSPOT
07-23-2006, 09:23 PM

How 'bout we celebrate the number 44...Chet Lemon, Smokin' Danny Pasqua, Aaron Rowand (rookie), Brian Anderson...:D:

C-Dawg
07-23-2006, 09:28 PM

I'd like to see that too.

Say, correct me if I'm wrong, but last year they only wore the '59 uniforms once? After the great outcome of that game, one would assume they would have worn them at least a couple more times.

Soxfanspcu11
07-23-2006, 09:32 PM
I'd like to see that too.

Say, correct me if I'm wrong, but last year they only wore the '59 uniforms once? After the great outcome of that game, one would assume they would have worn them at least a couple more times.

Check my post above.

Harry Potter
07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
How 'bout we celebrate the number 44...Chet Lemon, Smokin' Danny Pasqua, Aaron Rowand (rookie), Brian Anderson...:D:

Billy Koch

KONERKOSBALDSPOT
07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Billy Koch
Well, I suppose if we include all the greats, we've got to include BK. But no one says I have to like it. :D:

The Dude
07-23-2006, 09:55 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if they did. Make sure to email Brooks with the suggestion though.

markopat
07-23-2006, 11:37 PM

Love...Love...Love the Jerseys...not so fond of the hats though!

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2006, 01:25 AM
The '77 team, while fun to watch, didn't win anything, and that uniform was hideous.

TheOldRoman
07-24-2006, 01:29 AM
I don't think Garland, or any of the players for that matter can pick the throwbacks. I remember Brooks on Chicago Tribune Live a few months ago saying that MLB regulates the use of throwbacks. Why? I have no idea. I'm sure Bud has a very good reason though. :rolleyes:
The only regulation about throwbacks is that they can only be worn once per series. I think it is a good rule. It is nice to honor history and see old unis every now and then, but if they wear them every night, it becomes a joke like the NBA.

Thome25
07-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some info online about old southside park? I'd like to learn more about it and see some pics if there are any.

Wsoxmike59
07-24-2006, 07:49 AM

4 or 5 years ago the Sox and Jays were going to both wear 1977 uniforms in Toronto to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Blue Jays franchise.

There was some sort of snafu however with the Sox uniforms and the Sox only wore the Hitmen hat that day, while the Blue Jays wore their inaugural uniform.

I hated the uniforms at first, but then when I saw they were quite close to what the Sox wore around the turn of the Century they kind of grew on me.

I remember a lot of teams were wearing the 1800 style caps during the Bi-Centennial Summer, but the Sox went all out and wore an honest to goodness old style uniform.

I thought they would've been good for just one season (1976) and hoped they would've gone back to the Red Pin Stripes I was so accustomed to.
http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/Uniforms/06Champs.jpg

INSox56
07-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Anyone else think the hats don't match the unis? The unis are a cream color, which look awesome, but the hats look stark white almost. Seems like it'd be much better to have a cream color cap to match the uniform.

Scottiehaswheels
07-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Anyone else think the hats don't match the unis? The unis are a cream color, which look awesome, but the hats look stark white almost. Seems like it'd be much better to have a cream color cap to match the uniform.I think there was a problem with the manufacturer when they decided to wear these uni's this year... Supposedly it was fixed but you're right, still doesn't look quite right...

CommanderPudge72
07-24-2006, 10:19 AM
I like the 1977 uniform. It was the first uniform I got to know as a kid and Sox fan. I appreciate the attempt at a link to the past, and I think the lettering on the jersey is classic.

In fact, I would take those uniforms over many of the late 70's and 80's uniforms which were pretty darn fugly.....the afore mentioned Padres, the away Cardinals, the away Twins...etc...now those are hideous.

I am looking for a home replica 77 that I can get for a reasonable price.

Baby Fisk
07-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Anyone else think the hats don't match the unis? The unis are a cream color, which look awesome, but the hats look stark white almost. Seems like it'd be much better to have a cream color cap to match the uniform.
Yup. It's one of several reasons why these throwbacks suck.

INSox56
07-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Yup. It's one of several reasons why these throwbacks suck.

Several? Woah...I love them, just don't like the hats. hehe

Baby Fisk
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Several? Woah...I love them, just don't like the hats. hehe
1. Hats don't match the jerseys.
2. It is essentially a modern day uniform with a 1906 logo on the chest, not a proper throwback with high stockings and baggier look (why could they do it for the 1959 throwbacks but not these?).
3. The players continue to wear BLACK SOCKS with these uniforms. They did not wear black socks in 1906.
4. No one wore numbers in 1906.

eriqjaffe
07-24-2006, 11:09 AM
4. No one wore numbers in 1906.FWIW, I think going numberless would violate MLB uniform regulations.

KMKsuburbannoise
07-24-2006, 11:11 AM
since they wear throwback uniforms, I propose a future uniform day.

TornLabrum
07-24-2006, 11:16 AM
since they wear throwback uniforms, I propose a future uniform day.

They had "Turn Forward the Clock" (or something like that) days for a couple of years. The uniforms were terrible.

CommanderPudge72
07-24-2006, 11:22 AM
They had "Turn Forward the Clock" (or something like that) days for a couple of years. The uniforms were terrible.

Agreed...we can have disputes about the asthetic quality of past Sox uniforms, but I would be shocked if we could not all agree with this.

mwc44
07-24-2006, 12:23 PM

Billy Koch

We'd have to add Tom Paciorek, John Cangelosi and Chad Bradford to the list also!

esbrechtel
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
i figured that they wore the unis because of the special occasion on sunday with the unveiling of the new statues....

VeeckAsInWreck
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
i figured that they wore the unis because of the special occasion on sunday with the unveiling of the new statues....

Aparacio and Fox are not that old though!!!

I would like to see the Sox don the '77 Hitmen unis as well. MLB 06 The Show on PS2 has the red pin stripe unis and I always choose those.