Whitesox4ever
07-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Sandy that is according to the score

vegyrex
07-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Alomar? :?:

ChiSoxGirl
This guy is a fossil in terms of a baseball player! Is this really all we can get??? :?: I'm not sure how I feel about this one...!

Lip Man 1
Interesting...does he have ANYTHING left?

Lip

Xx i am error xX
He's gotta be able to hit better than Widge.

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Well, if true, here's Widger's replacement. Who did the Sox send to the Dodgers in return?

DumpJerry
07-23-2006, 05:52 PM
This was the subject of a thread last week. He's putting up some pretty good numbers against lefties. I'm happy for this one. He's going to be a Sox coach when he finally retires.

Who did we give up?

He also likes my favorite sushi restaurant.

southside rocks
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Okay then, some maturity behind the plate, that will be good for all the young pitchers, right? I think this is a good move!

QCIASOXFAN
07-23-2006, 05:54 PM
He's gotta be able to hit better than Widge.He is hitting .323 in 62 ab.

zmz723
07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
hes 9-18 vs lefties, .323 overall

Brian26
07-23-2006, 05:55 PM
This is an AWESOME acquisition. We need someone behind the plate who can call a game when AJ isn't in there. Any offense we get is icing on the cake. Great, great, great pickup!

TheDarkGundam
07-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Is this official?

digdagdug23
07-23-2006, 05:56 PM
When looking at things, I sort in to catagories. Do I feel good, bad or indifferent about it?

This one leaves me with an indifferent, leaning slightly towards good.

I think there is something bigger coming, not in the catching catagory, but in general.

Scottiehaswheels
07-23-2006, 05:57 PM
better have only given up a low A prospect for him.... he's 40 years old!

eurotrash35
This is an AWESOME acquisition. I don't care if Sandy doesn't get a base hit for the rest of the year. We need someone behind the plate who can call a game and get these starting pitchers back on track. Great, great, great pickup!

agreed. although I was hoping that DFAing Widger would be a sign of a much bigger deal.

LuvSox
Let's get a ring for Sandy!!!! I love him, way to go Kenny!

The Dude
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Probably better than Widger. Not a bad move.

soxfanreggie
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
He's hitting the ball well in limited AB. He can come in as a back-up C or pinch hitter. However, that makes Mac the back-up if Sandy PHs. He also can call a mean game, which is something we really need if AJ isn't in there.

Foulke You
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I think this is a solid pickup for KW. Widger wasn't getting it done both offense and defense. I've always liked Sandy and a backup role to spell AJ is a perfect fit for him. We also know he handles a pitching staff well. Sandy is a guy who smells like smoke because he's been through the fire. Definitely a great fit for a pennant race.

soxtalker
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
This is an AWESOME acquisition. I don't care if Sandy doesn't get a base hit for the rest of the year. We need someone behind the plate who can call a game and get these starting pitchers back on track. Great, great, great pickup!

My initial reaction was just the reverse. One problem that we've been having lately is keeping runners from stealing. IIRC, Alomar wasn't terribly good at that toward the end of his stay here.

Your point is a good one on handling the pitchers. And he is supposedly hitting ok.

eurotrash35
07-23-2006, 06:04 PM
He's hitting the ball well in limited AB. He can come in as a back-up C or pinch hitter. However, that makes Mac the back-up if Sandy PHs. He also can call a mean game, which is something we really need if AJ isn't in there.

let's not get carried away. I can see alomar being the guy that catches once or twice a week and is a bench coach the rest of the time.

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2006, 06:04 PM
:ralomar:
"Hey guys,don't leave me out of the reunion!!":roflmao: :roflmao:

Scottiehaswheels
07-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Don't know the Dodgers staff well but supposedly they are 1-12 with Sandy starting....:?: Sounds like Widge this year part deux

eurotrash35
07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
:ralomar:
"Hey guys,don't leave me out of the reunion!!":roflmao: :roflmao:

:everett: "Fool, it's either both of us or none at all."

monkeypants
07-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Not a bad pickup and not exactly what I was expecting. I'm just glad it was a veteran, especially one that has ties and knowledge of the Sox.
I'm just going to dread the days when Contreas or Garcia are on the mound and Sandy is behind the plate. Teams are going to run like crazy on us.

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2006, 06:10 PM

:roflmao: :roflmao:

HotelWhiteSox
I saw this in the Widger thread and thought it was a joke at first or one of those off the cuff suggestions. Then I read that the Score reported it :unsure:

monkeypants

:harold
"Ahem. Nobody keeps coming back like me."

eastchicagosoxfan
07-23-2006, 06:15 PM
This is an AWESOME acquisition. We need someone behind the plate who can call a game when AJ isn't in there. Any offense we get is icing on the cake. Great, great, great pickup!
I'm just curious, but what was the ERA and record in games Widger caught? Like you, I don't care about offense as long as he calls a good game. Can he throw anybody out? If he can get one guy, I think that's more than Widger could. I like the pick-up because Sandy alomar is a good ballplayer.

HawkDJ
07-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Counting down the days till Robbie Alomar comes back.

KRS1
07-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Meh? Anything more than a low level, career minor leaguer for him would be dumb, but what do I know? I would much rather have a defensive stud out there between AJs starts, but again, what do I know?

whitesoxfan
07-23-2006, 06:28 PM
An improvement over Widger.

The Dude
07-23-2006, 06:32 PM
This thread is also named poorly. It should specify which Alomar so people dont have a heart attack!:D:

Jurr
07-23-2006, 06:33 PM
This thread is also named poorly. It should specify which Alomar so people dont have a heart attack!:D:
No joke. I almost gagged. I was thinking, "Are they getting rid of Cora??"

Daver
07-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I fixed it.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.cinematical.com/images/2005/08/blues-brothers.jpg

"We're getting the band back together"

He may be an upgrade at the plate but his defensive skills have taken a hit over the past two seasons (not shocking for a 40 year old catcher):

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/alomasa02.shtml

Rate stat (100 average):

2004 CWS: 105
2005 Tex: 86
2006 LAD: 69 :o:

The other 2006 stat causing concern - 18 Games, 14 SB, 1 CS.

Then again Widger was poor defensively (17 SB, 3 CS in 22 Games with 3 errors and a 66 rate stat :o: ) and his hitting was atrocious. Alomar is a plus at the plate as a backup catcher.

I also think Alomar will do a better job calling the games (a few weeks ago someone stated pitchers had a higher ERA (1.50) when Widger plays vs. when AJ plays). Sandy Alomar is a classy player and I would love to see him get a World Series ring here.

Kenny said he was going to do something bigger than Soriano, Linebrink and Livan Hernandez:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1254328&postcount=1 :D:

If this works carrying only 2 catchers I am in. I don't want to waste a roster spot on a third catcher if Sandy cannot handle the backup duties by himself.

Hopefully Kenny can respond in the words of Karen Carpenter if asked if this is the extent of his moves:

We've only just begun!

Law11
07-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I predicted this (Sandy) back on the post game thread on 7/20...

SOecks
07-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Great move here, hopefully didn't cost us much at all. Now the Sox can hopefully get 2 former Indians WS rings and show Cleveland how it's done. :cool:

Daver
07-23-2006, 06:44 PM
It's not like the Sox are defensively strong behind the plate to begin with.

A.J. is not a good defensive catcher.

slobes
07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
I love this move. I have a feeling KW wouldn't have given up too much for this. It'll be great to have a veteran behind the plate every 5-7 games when AJ needs a break.

MRM
07-23-2006, 06:55 PM

That was a joke, right? AJ is an excellent defensive catcher. He never makes an error and keeps most of those dirt-balls Contreras and Garcia throw in front of him.

C-Dawg
07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
So is Sandy going to get his old uniform number back?

Chips
07-23-2006, 06:58 PM
That was a joke, right? AJ is an excellent defensive catcher. He never makes an error and keeps most of those dirt-balls Contreras and Garcia throw in front of him.

Unless he is referring to AJ not be able to throw basestealers out.

AJ is a stud behind the plate.

DumpJerry
07-23-2006, 06:59 PM
AJ is not best at throwing out dastardly guys who want to steal.

A. Cavatica
07-23-2006, 06:59 PM
DFAing Widger is fine, but acquiring Sandy to be anything more than AAA injury insurance for the real backup catcher is pig excrement. It was pretty obvious that he was all done the last time we had him.

KRS1
07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Unless he is referring to AJ not be able to throw basestealers out.

AJ is a stud behind the plate.

Not really, he is rather slow behind the plate, doesnt get in great position to block balls, and throwing out runners is a big part of being a "stud behind the plate." Yes he calls a great game, but his defense isnt studly by any meaning of the word.

SOecks
07-23-2006, 07:09 PM
DFAing Widger is fine, but acquiring Sandy to be anything more than AAA injury insurance for the real backup catcher is pig excrement. It was pretty obvious that he was all done the last time we had him.

But wasn't he pretty much platooning with Olivo in his last go-around with the Sox? Yeah he's not an every day player, but I think he'll do great calling games 1 or maybe 2 games a week. He'll also provide great leadership with his veteranocity. Yeah I just made that up.

DrCrawdad
07-23-2006, 07:10 PM
The White Sox designated backup C Chris Widger (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5434/) for assignment after Sunday's game -- a move that surprised the veteran. Although he was batting just .184, Widger said he was told the main reason for the move was a lack of game preparation. "I thought this was home," he said. "I thought I did a good job for these guys. It's the first time I've ever been released (for reasons) I don't get."

I saw this and no doubt this all but confirms the deal, but has it been announced as (semi)official that Alomar was back?

I don't get the obsession with the Alomars. As someone else said, I thought Sandy looked washed up the last time thru with the Sox.

If AJ is a poor or below average defensive C, is Sandy any better? How is Sandy doing throwing out batters this season?

digdagdug23
07-23-2006, 07:12 PM

Pretty sure it's not. AJ is not a strong defensive catcher. Show me proof otherwise.

17 caught stealing out of 50 = not a strong defensive catcher. That means he is catching less than half of the base runners. Out of 79 last year, he caught 23 stealing. Facts are facts, irregardless of the pitching style of any of our 5 starters, he is not a defensive catcher.

I love AJ to death, and glad he is ours, but this is one thing I would never claim.

KRS1
07-23-2006, 07:13 PM
How is Sandy doing throwing out batters this season?

1-14

A. Cavatica
07-23-2006, 07:15 PM
Sandy might actually be a downgrade from Widger. This is very disappointing.

slobes
07-23-2006, 07:18 PM

Everyone's biggest problem with Widge was the fact that we always seemed to let up alot more runs when he caught. I'm hoping Sandy, who's a veteran, will be an improvement at least in this area.

MRM
07-23-2006, 07:20 PM
AJ is not best at throwing out dastardly guys who want to steal.

That's not all on him. A whole lot of that is the pitchers, particularly Garcia.

And lets not forget Miquel Olivo. Great at throwing out base stealers, horrible defensive catcher otherwise. I"ll take AJ over an Olivo type any day.

rowand33
07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
The White Sox designated backup C Chris Widger (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5434/) for assignment after Sunday's game -- a move that surprised the veteran. Although he was batting just .184, Widger said he was told the main reason for the move was a lack of game preparation. "I thought this was home," he said. "I thought I did a good job for these guys. It's the first time I've ever been released (for reasons) I don't get."

I thought Widger should go and all, but that "I thought this was home" quote is heartbreaking. Poor guy.

Here's to you Widge, thanks for 2005. :gulp:

patbooyah
07-23-2006, 07:21 PM
if i were a pitcher, i'd feel a lot better pitching to a veteran major league catcher than somebody who closes his eyes every time he catches the ball.

dickallen15
07-23-2006, 07:25 PM
1-14

But his CERA is only a little above 6.00

KRS1
07-23-2006, 07:26 PM
We traded Lamura for him, which is just rediculous, not that BJ is going to be a great pitcher, but his arm is worth more than a 40 year old every sixth day catcher. I'll never second guess Kdub, but come on.

SOecks
I thought Widger should go and all, but that "I thought this was home" quote is heartbreaking. Poor guy.

Here's to you Widge, thanks for 2005. :gulp:

Yeah I'm with you, that really sucks. Hopefully he has a couple long talks with the KW and Jerry and doesn't leave with any animosity towards the organization. We gave him a shot last year and he ended up with a WS ring. He may be hurt and shocked right now but hopefully will get some perspective when things cool down and be cool with everything. He seemed like a great guy and I appreciate what he has done for us.

DrCrawdad
I have a feeling the real reason to bringing back Sandy Alomar is the thought that Buehrle throws best to Sandy. I bet that they think that Sandy will help Buehrle turn things around.

Not that I agree with the above, but I bet this will be either stated directly or the implied reason.

digdagdug23

That's doubtful.

Alomar-.323 avg, 62 AB over 27 games.
Widger-.184 avg, 76 AB over 27 games.

Just on offense alone, I would hesitate to call this a downgrade.

Alomar caught 1 in 14, but Widge's numbers are 3 in 17. Hardly a marked difference.

Just in swagger alone, he adds to our team.

RememberDaAlomar
07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Yesssssss!

Bobbo35
07-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, if true, here's Widger's replacement. Who did the Sox send to the Dodgers in return?

They said that the Sox are sending a AA pitcher in return.

Daver
07-23-2006, 07:35 PM

No, it is not a joke.

A.J. is a poor defensive catcher, he struggles to block balls in the dirt, can't field his position when there is a play at the plate, and falls into a predictable rhythm with his pitch calls. Errors are a terrible way to measure a players defense, see Clayton, Royce, for proof of that.

I'm not bashing A.J., I'm stating facts. He's a great catcher for this team, his attitude matches what the manager wants, he provides a left handed bat with some pop, and the infield can make up for his defiances as a field general.

Pierzynski 12
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Sandy Alomar Jr back again? :rolling:

KRS1
07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
They said that the Sox are sending a AA pitcher in return.

Like I said, its Willy Lamura.

Pierzynski 12
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Could of done better than this. I wonder if Roberto Alomar is on his way back.:rolleyes:

The Dude
07-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Yesssssss!
Wow, the image in your sig makes me want to puke! :puking:

KyWhiSoxFan
07-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Alomar is better than Widger--and Alomar figures to retire at the end of the year and go directly into the Sox organization, which is a good thing--but it is not much of a real upgrade. If he only plays once a week, that would be okay. Lamura, though, seems to be a high price to pay for someone we get for two months.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Wow, the image in your sig makes me want to puke! :puking:

true:rolleyes:

MRM
07-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Pretty sure it's not. AJ is not a strong defensive catcher. Show me proof otherwise.

17 caught stealing out of 50 = not a strong defensive catcher. That means he is catching less than half of the base runners.

Throwing out 34% of baserunners is GOOD.
Throwing out 50% of baserunners is Incredibly GREAT. In fact, using that single metric exactly ONE catcher in the entire game is "a strong defensive catcher", based on your observation. That would be Ramon Hernandez of the Orioles. No other catcher in the game is throwing out 50%+. Not even Ivan Rodriquez, generally accepted as THE best at it. He's getting less than 44% of them.

Throwing out base runners is extremely over rated. Probably the most over rated stat looked at.

Look at it from a different prespective. If I told you the stats of one AL catcher show he had thrown out 4 of 31 base stealers, 12.9%, you'd probably say the guy must be a pretty horrible defensive catcher. You'd also be saying that about a guy who has won two of the last four gold gloves at the position. Benji Molina.

digdagdug23
07-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Throwing out 34% of baserunners is GOOD.
Throwing out 50% of baserunners is Incredibly GREAT. In fact, using that single metric exactly ONE catcher in the entire game is "a strong defensive catcher", based on your observation. That would be Ramon Hernandez of the Orioles. No other catcher in the game is throwing out 50%+. Not even Ivan Rodriquez, generally accepted as THE best at it. He's getting less than 44% of them.

Throwing out base runners is extremely over rated. Probably the most over rated stat looked at.

Look at it from a different prespective. If I told you the stats of one AL catcher show he had thrown out 4 of 31 base stealers, 12.9%, you'd probably say the guy must be a pretty horrible defensive catcher. You'd also be saying that about a guy who has won two of the last four gold gloves at the position. Benji Molina.

So, if AJ is a good defensive catcher, show me the evidence. I cited one example, not all of them. But if you go and look at Daver's post, he has cited what I would have posted in response. So show me proof.

Chisox1500
07-23-2006, 07:54 PM
In AJ's defense he does not get any help holding runners on from Conteras and Garcia, but AJ is not a great defensive player.

I love the move for Alomar. I hope he can be Buerhle's personal catcher and turn him around. The team needed a shakeup and this is a good start. Widger was done. Hope this lights a fire under other underperforming players.

voodoochile
07-23-2006, 07:59 PM

Look for AJ to catch most of the remaining games. Alomar should offer more than Widger for the remaining games.

Brian26
07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Alomar is better than Widger--and Alomar figures to retire at the end of the year and go directly into the Sox organization, which is a good thing--

Depending on what Harold and Raines want to do, Alomar could fit in nicely either as a bench coach or firstbase coach.

Chisox1500
07-23-2006, 08:04 PM
They did not sign one of those guys (I think Raines) to an extension. So Alomar might be there next year.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Sandy will also become a great pinch hitter later in the ballgames if the Sox have runners in scoring position. He may not always be used as a catcher in that regard. The Sox can use his bat off the bench.

Pierzynski 12
07-23-2006, 08:09 PM
What bat of Alomar?:rolleyes:

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 08:15 PM

Looks like he can hit to me.

A. Cavatica
07-23-2006, 08:16 PM
That's doubtful.

Just on offense alone, I would hesitate to call this a downgrade.

Alomar caught 1 in 14, but Widge's numbers are 3 in 17. Hardly a marked difference.

Just in swagger alone, he adds to our team.

Swagger might be all Alomar adds, then.

You're thinking his .323 average over 62 National League ABs is repeatable? *****.

If you add up Sandy's numbers from 2003 through the present you get 530 ABs, which is a season's worth. Over that time he's batted .268, with 28 doubles, seven home runs, and only 20 walks. Except for the batting average, there's not much offensive production there -- and the guy's FORTY. He's likely to hit .250 for us.

I'm not defending Widger's hitting, he's certifiably bad. Since 2003 he's had 319 ABs and batted .226, with 20 doubles, five home runs, and 25 walks.

I do think he's a better catcher than Sandy at this point in their careers.

Chips
07-23-2006, 08:18 PM

The one he is using to hit .323 this season.

The one he used to hit .274 over his career.

The one he used to hit 111 home runs and drive in 580 runs.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 08:19 PM

You're thinking his .323 average over 62 National League ABs is repeatable? *****.

If you add up Sandy's numbers from 2003 through the present you get 530 ABs, which is a season's worth. Over that time he's batted .268, with 28 doubles, seven home runs, and only 20 walks. Except for the batting average, there's not much offensive production there -- and the guy's FORTY. He's likely to hit .250 for us.

I'm not defending Widger's hitting, he's certifiably bad. Since 2003 he's had 319 ABs and batted .226, with 20 doubles, five home runs, and 25 walks.

Do you want to keep Widger?

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2006, 08:20 PM
from Rotoworld.com:

White Sox acquired catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. from the Dodgers for RHP B.J. LaMura.
We thought the White Sox might upgrade from Chris Widger. Instead, they acquired Alomar. The 40-year-old was hitting .323, but most of that came in the first two weeks. He's 9-for-39 since April 20. He hasn't walked in 62 at-bats this season, and his last homer came in 2004. Since he's also probably not a defensive upgrade from Widger these days, this is a sideways move at best. At least they didn't give up much. LaMura, 25, had a 1.69 ERA and a 67/31 K/BB ratio in 53 1/3 IP for Double-A Birmingham this season. It'd be a surprise if he turned into a quality reliever. Jul. 23 - 8:08 pm et

soxwon
07-23-2006, 08:21 PM
sandy then soriano what a week were gonna have!!!

A. Cavatica
07-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Do you want to keep Widger?

No, I'm fine with DFAing him, I just think Sandy's worthless. You don't generally need to give up a good AA arm for someone who will coach next year.

Sandy is fine for a third/emergency catcher to be stashed at AAA, but he's a waste of a roster spot.

digdagdug23
07-23-2006, 08:24 PM

Those are his 2006 numbers, quoted on MLB.com. If you don't like him, you don't like him. But for a b/u catcher, he is fine, and definitely an improvement over Widge, at least IMO. Even if he is a vertical move (which we don't know for certain, if you want to compare, look at AJ's numbers with other teams before he came here) and just in attitude alone, I like him.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 08:25 PM
No, I'm fine with DFAing him, I just think Sandy's worthless. You don't generally need to give up a good AA arm for someone who will coach next year.

Sandy is fine for a third/emergency catcher to be stashed at AAA, but he's a waste of a roster spot.

If this "worthless" you say catcher helps the Sox get to the World Series again, it will be well worth giving up a AA arm.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-23-2006, 08:41 PM
If this "worthless" you say catcher helps the Sox get to the World Series again, it will be well worth giving up a AA arm.

Exactly. Remember someone by the name of Blum???

oeo
07-23-2006, 08:42 PM
I love this pickup. Nice to have Sandy back in a Sox uni, and he is an upgrade over Widger.

Some of you...complain about Widger, then Kenny finds a pretty good replacement. REMEMBER: He's a BACKUP. And you complain more; I think it's impossible to make some of you happy. Until he "proves" himself, you're all just going to whine over nothing? We just filled a hole; so stop whining about it...geesh.

chisoxmike
07-23-2006, 08:56 PM

That's a ****ing joke, right?

AJ is a horrible DEFENSIVE catcher. He can't throw out runners for **** and whenever there is a relay to the plate, I don't hold my breath because I can always count on AJ not being able to hold on to the ball.

But, he's one of my favorite players on the team. He calls a good game and gives this team a attitude it hasn't had up until last year.

chisoxmike
07-23-2006, 08:57 PM
sandy then soriano what a week were gonna have!!!

Uh, we need a bullpen guy over Soriano.

TornLabrum
07-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Looks like he can hit to me.

Remember that's NL pitching he's hitting against.

Chisox003
07-23-2006, 08:59 PM

He's the ****ing backup catcher!!!

Who do you want, Mauer? Maybe Johnny Estrada or Brian Mccann?

Geeeeez :rolleyes:

cburns
07-23-2006, 09:06 PM
At the very worst, I don't think this move will hurt the team. I think a big reason this trade was done was to have Sandy catch Buerhle and get him back on the right track.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 09:08 PM

Still MLB baseball last time I checked.

y2j2785
07-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Uh, we need a bullpen guy over Soriano.

Maybe its Rafael Soriano. :rolleyes:

oeo
07-23-2006, 09:27 PM
And Widger hasn't gotten a hit since June 16...I think Alomar can do a better job than that. It's an upgrade in every way you look at it...thanks for 2005 Widge, but you need to head back to the softball field.

Mr. White Sox
07-23-2006, 09:39 PM
And Widger hasn't gotten a hit since June 16...I think Alomar can do a better job than that. It's an upgrade in every way you look at it...thanks for 2005 Widge, but you need to head back to the softball field.

Alomar's last HR was in 2004, and he hasn't drawn a walk all year.
It's not like this move will negatively impact the team, as Widger honestly didn't provide anything of importance this year. But then again, when are backup catchers actually supposed to have an impact?

Sargeant79
07-23-2006, 09:47 PM

Thank you!!! About time someone said this.

rowand33
07-23-2006, 09:52 PM
for you guys wondering "why alomar?"

"Our coaching staff has been after me for the last month to acquire Sandy Alomar," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said in a statement. "So it is my responsibility as general manager to add pieces to the puzzle that my coaches feel they need to win another championship."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmwjPvz6.t8v9Hm_99LU4wgRvLYF?slug=ap-whitesox-dodgerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

oeo
07-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Since his #15 is now occupied by the Gooch, what number does he wear?

Whitesox4ever
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
for you guys wondering "why alomar?"

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmwjPvz6.t8v9Hm_99LU4wgRvLYF?slug=ap-whitesox-dodgerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

The main reason why Alomar is here is because he is great friends with Ozzie

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 09:56 PM
He's so old he's just Sandy Alomar now. Nothing Junior about him.

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
:tomatoaward

Agreed; he's the backup catcher. Some folks wouldn't be satisfied with the reincarnation of Bench or Fisk.
:rolleyes:

SABRSox
07-23-2006, 10:00 PM
The main reason why Alomar is here is because he is great friends with Ozzie

It really sounds like Widger was on his way out for awhile. I guess somebody had to take the heat for the recent skid, and unfortunately that attention got focused to Widger. Tough break, as it appears he loved it on the South Side.

Thanks for 2005, Chris.

soxfan26
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks for 2005, Chris.

Yep, it's also sad to see that there are no longer any GMU Alums on the roster. :cool:

Welcome back Sandy!

Jjav829
07-23-2006, 10:16 PM
When looking at things, I sort in to catagories. Do I feel good, bad or indifferent about it?

This one leaves me with an indifferent, leaning slightly towards good.

I think there is something bigger coming, not in the catching catagory, but in general.

You hit the nail on the head for how I feel about this. The Alomar acquisition is one of those "Ehhh, ok" type trades. If you have strong feelings about this either way, you might need help. He's not great, but at the same time, there aren't many great backup catchers out there. The way I look at it is Alomar just has to catch 5 or 6 times until rosters expand. At that point we can call up a 3rd catcher who can help take the load off of AJ.

soxtalker
07-23-2006, 10:24 PM

I was hoping for someone who could throw out a guy trying to steal 2nd base. That doesn't require a Joe Mauer. If we were just trying to find a backup catcher, who could call a decent game, hit reasonably, and, yes, throw out baserunners -- I suspect that KW could have found a number of better alternatives.

IIRC, there was some thought (at least among fans) a couple of years ago that Alomar would retire then and join the Sox as a coach, but he didn't want to retire. With the current difficulties of our pitching staff, it's understandable that the Sox would want him as a coach. And if that requires that he be the backup catcher, so be it.

DrCrawdad
07-23-2006, 10:29 PM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/2006_1/5434.jpg = http://www.ratebeer.com/beerimages/5558.jpg
Ozzie is all of two years older than Alomar. How long will it take for Ozzie to call Alomar a, "kid?"

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Ozzie is all of two years older than Alomar. How long will it take for Ozzie to call Alomar a, "kid?"

By the first Alomar interview question asked to Ozzie.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2006, 10:51 PM
According to White Sox.com Widger was released because of his 'game preperation.' Apparently he had some disagreements with both Cooper and Walker.

Widger was upset that that was the reason he was let go, but he wished the team and players well and thanked the organization.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
07-23-2006, 11:00 PM
If your a backup catcher that can't hit or prep for a game the way the coaching staff wants you to, what do you expect.

DrCrawdad
07-23-2006, 11:02 PM
According to White Sox.com Widger was released because of his 'game preperation.' Apparently he had some disagreements with both Cooper and Walker.

Widger was upset that that was the reason he was let go, but he wished the team and players well and thanked the organization.

Lip

I don't know why the team had to disclose any reason other than a non-answer, "We wanted to go in another direction..." Citing Widger's "game preparation" is a unnecessary shot at the guy.

PaleHosed
07-23-2006, 11:03 PM
This is definately an upgrade. People have to remember that he will be a backup catcher, he's not gonna carry us to post season glory or anything like that but he can be part of the reason we repeat. These are the reasons I like this move.

1. He knows how to handle a pitching staff and call a game. In fact he knows how to handle *this* pitching staff. He has caught 4 of our 5 starters in the past.

2. He's a veteran that likely will be a good manager someday and will currently serve as a good mentor on the team. I think there is a distinct possibility that one of the reasons he is around is to mentor a Sept call-up to be prepared to be the back up for 2007 and beyond. Who knows he may have some words of wisdom for AJ to make him that much better as well.

3. The coaching staff has requested him. I like our coaching staff and if they believe he's an improvement I have to respect that opinion.

4. He has asked to come here. I know from my own work experience - I do much better work when I like where I work.

This not a big deal at this point. If there is a positive affect on our pitching staff it could be big, but outside of that it's just a slight upgrade IMHO

Tragg
07-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Sandy that is according to the score

I certainly hope it's for nothing more than an "organizational minor leaguer".

PaleHosed
07-23-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't know why the team had to disclose any reason other than a non-answer, "We wanted to go in another direction..." Citing Widger's "game preparation" is a unnecessary shot at the guy.

I kinda got the impression from the article that Widger revealed that information

DrCrawdad
07-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I kinda got the impression from the article that Widger revealed that information

If that's the case, then I have nothing to complain about...in this matter at least.

russ99
07-23-2006, 11:09 PM

Lip

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060723&content_id=1572122&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I hate to see a Sox player go out like that, but this was obviously building for some time, especially with Coop.

I hope Sandy can step in and do well, plus it's like adding another coach to the clubhouse. Maybe he can help turn Vazquez around in his bad innings.

Thanks for helping the Sox win the Series in '05, Chris.

thomas35forever
07-23-2006, 11:54 PM
The releasing of a veteran player leads to the acquiring of another. Hopefully, Alomar still has some stuff left. I guess this means that "Oh, Sandy!" sound effects will be back at the Cell.

HotelWhiteSox
07-23-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't like it because of his age. I remember when he played with us, great guy, but his knees were in such bad shape that he could only run the bases like Frank. I hurt watching him. Now we are here years later and he's going to catch. Yes, I know it's a backup, but he still has to able to play in full games. I just hope he can last a season without getting hurt.

DickAllen72
07-24-2006, 12:05 AM

The team didn't. KW said it would not be fair to Chris to comment. Widger was the one who went public with what the Sox told him in private.

beckett21
07-24-2006, 12:14 AM
I think that Alomar is a great addition. He is just what the pitching staff needs right now.

If the Sox coaches have been clamoring for him, I'm not going to argue.

Chisox1500
07-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Regardless of what was said it was about production. I wish the sour grapes didn't come out here. If Widger hit or caught better he would still be here.

He seemed like a nice guy. I hope there is a place for him as a coach or something.

HotelWhiteSox
07-24-2006, 12:15 AM
On the other hand, I like the message being sent by doing this to Politte/Widger (obviously nothing personal, seem like great guys), this is a championship team, so you better step it up. If they get more bullpen help, one of the starters might get this message as well.

JB98
07-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm not excited about the move. Hopefully, Sandy can help Buerhle out, and hopefully, he has something left in his bat. But I've stated repeatedly that I would be opposed to giving up a prospect of any sort to address the perceived problem at backup catcher. So, obviously, I'm against this trade.

I will say this: AJ's bat looks damn slow right now. He could use a few more days off than he's been getting. I don't know why he was in the lineup last night against Koronka. They gave him a day off against division-rival Detroit, and then made him play all three games against Texas. Odd.

Crede_Fan
07-24-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm happy with this move. Sandy being able to speak fluent spanish may help right a couple of things with the starters. They (starters) may be more comfortable with him.

nug0hs
07-24-2006, 01:23 AM
He seemed like a nice guy. I hope there is a place for him as a coach or something.

Earlier in the week when Widger got a start vs. Detroit, a caller on The Score's postgame show stated that he doesnt think Widge should be in the majors at all. Chris Ronge assured him that he feels he can get a job as a backup catcher on 75% of MLB rosters. Obviously, his numbers werent that good, but he was a BACKUP catcher (lower expectations)...like JB98 said, this was simply a "perceived problem at backup catcher", cant ask for much. Hopefully another team will pick him up soon and give him a shot.

lostletters
07-24-2006, 02:28 AM
This is definately an upgrade. People have to remember that he will be a backup catcher, he's not gonna carry us to post season glory or anything like that but he can be part of the reason we repeat. These are the reasons I like this move.

1. He knows how to handle a pitching staff and call a game. In fact he knows how to handle *this* pitching staff. He has caught 4 of our 5 starters in the past.

2. He's a veteran that likely will be a good manager someday and will currently serve as a good mentor on the team. I think there is a distinct possibility that one of the reasons he is around is to mentor a Sept call-up to be prepared to be the back up for 2007 and beyond. Who knows he may have some words of wisdom for AJ to make him that much better as well.

3. The coaching staff has requested him. I like our coaching staff and if they believe he's an improvement I have to respect that opinion.

4. He has asked to come here. I know from my own work experience - I do much better work when I like where I work.

This not a big deal at this point. If there is a positive affect on our pitching staff it could be big, but outside of that it's just a slight upgrade IMHO

I have to agree with all of this. He is just a backup catcher, plus he is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over wider.

Plus with all the lefty pitchers around, we need somebody off the bench that specializes in hitting lefties.

Steelrod
07-24-2006, 03:10 AM
I sort of compare this to the Yanks signing Bernie Williams. I like the move.

INSox56
07-24-2006, 07:52 AM
No, it is not a joke.

A.J. is a poor defensive catcher, he struggles to block balls in the dirt, can't field his position when there is a play at the plate, and falls into a predictable rhythm with his pitch calls. Errors are a terrible way to measure a players defense, see Clayton, Royce, for proof of that.

I'm not bashing A.J., I'm stating facts. He's a great catcher for this team, his attitude matches what the manager wants, he provides a left handed bat with some pop, and the infield can make up for his defiances as a field general.

Great points. Most ppl think of AJ as a god. Well, in fact, we've seen even recently that he's not. I can't think of a SINGLE TIME that he caught the ball at a close play at the plate...usually it bounces off his glove...not to mention completely unable to throw guys out (even when it's not the pitcher's fault)

harwar
07-24-2006, 08:48 AM
I cannot say enough good things about Sandy Alomar Jr.
Hes' one of the toughest and smartest catchers out there who has a tremendous respect from players around both leagues and will make a great manager when he is done playing.He might be the only guy in the White Sox organization that Ozzie will really listen to when he makes a suggestion,and,lets face it,sometimes Ozzie needs someone to rein him in when he gets way out there emotionally.
He knows how to handle a pitching staff(not calling for breaking pitch after breaking pitch even though they aren't biting)and our starters will think twice before shaking him off.
I expect our pitching to improve.
He has two bad knees and he doesn't throw well but i'm glad we have him.

mwc44
07-24-2006, 08:50 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116569.jpg
"You could have given me a call... I've got nothing to do!"

tstrike2000
07-24-2006, 08:55 AM
I understand Widger wasn't exactly playing stellar baseball, but it's a curious move bringing in Alomar. I think he's like 67 years old, but hopefully he holds up in limited duty back there.

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2006, 09:01 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_116569.jpg
"You could have given me a call... I've got nothing to do!"

What about me?
http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_150331.jpg
Oh...and I didn't drop that pitch.....

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2006, 09:06 AM
I understand Widger wasn't exactly playing stellar baseball, but it's a curious move bringing in Alomar. I think he's like 67 years old, but hopefully he holds up in limited duty back there.

I still thee oldest!
http://www.oddjack.com/jose_contreras20021225.jpg

bayzbol44
07-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Double AA arm with a good record and ERA for 40 yr old catcher??? Hmmm, I must be missing something.

palehozenychicty
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
I still thee oldest!
http://www.oddjack.com/jose_contreras20021225.jpg

:rolling:

that photo is ridiculous. love it.

russ99
07-24-2006, 09:22 AM
I can't think of a SINGLE TIME that he caught the ball at a close play at the plate...usually it bounces off his glove...

I can't blame A.J. for that - I can't remember the last time the ball got to A.J. anywhere near the plate from one of our outfielders. I can understand with Pods - he doesn't have the arm, but Dye and Anderson should be at least able to get close.

Outfield Assist practice?!? :tongue:

stl_sox_fan
07-24-2006, 09:27 AM
I can't blame A.J. for that - I can't remember the last time the ball got to A.J. anywhere near the plate from one of our outfielders. I can understand with Pods - he doesn't have the arm, but Dye and Anderson should be at least able to get close.

Outfield Assist practice?!? :tongue:

With all that bunting practice going on, there is just no time for any other kind of practice. :rolleyes:

We talkin' about practice!
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/nba/_photos2/2002-05-07-iverson2.jpg

jdm2662
07-24-2006, 09:35 AM
With all that bunting practice going on, there is just no time for any other kind of practice. :rolleyes:

That's awesome!!!

"Not the game, not the game, not the game! We talking about practice!" That never gets old.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox got Alomar to help Buehrle get out of his slump. Alomar exclusively caught Mark when Alomar was here. His bad stretch in 2003 happened when Olivo was hurt. Hopefully, it helps.

palehozenychicty
07-24-2006, 09:38 AM

st. louie, you did it again! brilliant stuff. btw, a.i. in a carmines hat...rumors to the celts...hmmm.

Thome25
07-24-2006, 09:40 AM
I think this is quite possibly the only move KW is gonna make before the deadline.

Last year was a tough trade market just like this year is. In 2005, KW went out and got a backup player in Geoff Blum. This year he goes out and gets another backup in Alomar Jr.

Me thinks Kenny is done shopping for this year.

voodoochile
07-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Double AA arm with a good record and ERA for 40 yr old catcher??? Hmmm, I must be missing something.

Yep. Just the fact that 90% of all minor leaguers never get a sniff at a the bigs and 90% of them also have good records and ERA's at some point in their career in the minors.

Anything past the top 10-20 prospects for the Sox is a serious longshot at best to ever play for the big league squad.

ChiSoxFan7
07-24-2006, 10:03 AM
they said a newspaper article wanted him back because he and mb worked well, as well as the fact that he has caught games for every starter except JV

maybe it was widger's calls that has turned burhle south? who knows, but i definetly think this is the geoff blum trade of last year. KW and the coaching staff definetily saw something.

Here's to a fine backup catcher of the 2005 WS:gulp:

AND

here's to hoping the '06 version was just acquired:cheers:

southside rocks
07-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Any thought that Alomar will stay on past this year, not as a player but as a coach? Remember in May, all the current coaches except for Tim Raines signed contract extensions -- the Sox site said about Rock:

"Only bench coach Tim Raines has not reached terms of a new contract yet, and the team said he will wait to evaluate his situation until the end of the season."

Seems to me that if there is an opening on the coaching staff in 2007, Alomar could fit?

(If this has already been mentioned in this thread, sorry to repeat.)

soxtalker
07-24-2006, 10:28 AM
FYI -- LA Times view of the trade

Alomar's Trade Paves the Way for Repko's Return (http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodrep24jul24,1,7293208.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-dodger)

Although both players in the trade have glowing statistics, age is their most telling number. ...

However, Alomar, 40, no longer can catch at the level necessary for a backup in the major leagues. And LaMura, 25, is long in the tooth for a double-A pitcher despite his strong season. ....

There's more info in the entire article. (Password may be required, though it may be the same as for the Tribune.)

Procol Harum
07-24-2006, 10:40 AM
All the pieces are now in place....

Here's hopin' that Kenny has a little more up his sleeve than that...:cool:

On the good side, however, at least we can silence those few deluded souls who seem to have been scapegoating Widger as the source of all problems Sox....

kobo
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox got Alomar to help Buehrle get out of his slump. Alomar exclusively caught Mark when Alomar was here. His bad stretch in 2003 happened when Olivo was hurt. Hopefully, it helps.
I really think this is why they are bringing Sandy back. They know something is not right with Buehrle and they are hoping Sandy can help fix whatever the problem may be. He'll probably become Buehrle's catcher now and that is ok with me.

SOXfnNlansing
07-24-2006, 11:08 AM
I think Sandy is coming back because the coaching staff wants him. He can work with the bullpen pitchers most of the time and possibly become Buehrle's personal catcher. I think Rock Raines is on the way out after this season. I just have a feeling that he doesn't fit in anymore with the current team. Sandy will fill in that roll next year I think.

I'm not saying that this is a good move, but the coaching staff knows the team better than I do, so I just have to put faith in their decisions.

Minnie Me
07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
One day Sandy Alomar will manage the White Sox. And on that day we will say goodbye to the Ozzie era.

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
The AA guy is only 25 years old.

This trade is ok, but I'm not too thrilled with Alomar.

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 11:31 AM
One day Sandy Alomar will manage the White Sox. And on that day we will say goodbye to the Ozzie era.

http://www.sanantoniosports.org/halloffame/images/Gaston.jpg

Get in line!

JB98
07-24-2006, 01:07 PM
they said a newspaper article wanted him back because he and mb worked well, as well as the fact that he has caught games for every starter except JV

maybe it was widger's calls that has turned burhle south? who knows, but i definetly think this is the geoff blum trade of last year. KW and the coaching staff definetily saw something.

Here's to a fine backup catcher of the 2005 WS:gulp:

AND

here's to hoping the '06 version was just acquired:cheers:

No, Widger's calls are not the reason for Buehrle's struggles. AJ was behind the plate for the debacles against the Cubs and Yankees, as well as Friday night's loss to Texas.

StatHead21
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Not a bad move, not a good move, just an irrelivant move.

Sad
07-24-2006, 01:16 PM

I wouldn't relate MB's struggles with Widger's calls, but I'd bet you'll see Sandy catching Wednesday afternoon...

JermaineDye05
07-24-2006, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't relate MB's struggles with Widger's calls, but I'd bet you'll see Sandy catching Wednesday afternoon...

I would think that too, just a change of catchers for Buehrle, does anyone happen to know Buehrles record from '03 and '04 when he had Sandy behind the plate?

MikeLove
07-24-2006, 01:49 PM
im definitely not very excited for this trade, i don't *hate* it either, but back up catcher? Don't try to make Widger the scapegoat here! It just seems like a trade that will most likely break even (as far as widger vs sandy, not the AA pitcher) in production behind the plate. I hate to see Widger get released like that and be so upset about it. He's a good guy from everything ive seen of him, and his teammates seemed to like him. see: Jon Garland's quote in the whitesox.com article. I just dont want to see the teams chemistry get jazzed up with a trade like this. Now the other players on the team might hold some angst for the staff, or wonder if their jobs are secure and all that. Well hopefully Widger can catch on somewhere else and Sandy can help us win a few games.

But realistically when looking at the Sox this year. Maybe we arent better than Detroit this year, we havent had a better record than them in a few months, you either gotta think you have enough or go out and make a change. Back up catcher is hardly something that will swing a pennant race imho

pauliemyhero14
07-24-2006, 11:04 PM
im definitely not very excited for this trade, i don't *hate* it either, but back up catcher? Don't try to make Widger the scapegoat here! It just seems like a trade that will most likely break even (as far as widger vs sandy, not the AA pitcher) in production behind the plate. I hate to see Widger get released like that and be so upset about it. He's a good guy from everything ive seen of him, and his teammates seemed to like him. see: Jon Garland's quote in the whitesox.com article. I just dont want to see the teams chemistry get jazzed up with a trade like this. Now the other players on the team might hold some angst for the staff, or wonder if their jobs are secure and all that. Well hopefully Widger can catch on somewhere else and Sandy can help us win a few game

I dont kno

kitekrazy
07-25-2006, 02:34 AM

I thought I was the only one who thought that. But most people forget that there is more to a catcher than offense and defense. I think A.J. desrves some credit for the pitching success of 2005.

kitekrazy
07-25-2006, 02:48 AM
Whatever happened to Ben Davis?

pauliemyhero14
07-27-2006, 03:46 AM
i think ben davis is now in the yankee farm system