PDA

View Full Version : Fox and Aparicio statues

monkeypants
07-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I wasn't able to see the game today but looking at whitesox.com I noticed that the Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio statues were unveiled today. Anyone at the game today that saw them or were they shown on tv?
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060723&content_id=1571183&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Scottiehaswheels
07-23-2006, 05:32 PM
on chicagosports.com relating to the statue unveiling.... Doesn't that first pic look a lil uh embarrassing? couldn't the photographer have taken a pic from a different position?

LuvSox
07-23-2006, 05:35 PM
The description of Mrs. Fox reaction is touching.

WSox8404
07-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Lol!

Lip Man 1
07-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Agreed. Nellie passed at 45 I think... far to early for such a great player.

Lip

vegyrex
07-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Cool Statues!! :smile:

southside rocks
07-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I wasn't able to see the game today but looking at whitesox.com I noticed that the Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio statues were unveiled today. Anyone at the game today that saw them or were they shown on tv?

I was there, in section 101, close to the statues. They're really nice. Aparicio and Fox are in the act of turning a double play, about 6 feet apart from each other and facing one another. They are on the concourse just past the statue of Comiskey.

DumpJerry
07-23-2006, 06:11 PM
On the scoreboard durig the game they showed both players' stats. It was mentioned that Fox never struck out 20 times in a season over 19 seasons, but we knew that already!

TheDarkGundam
07-23-2006, 06:13 PM
I couldn't really get a good view of them from the upper deck, but they showed 'em on the big screen and they looked pretty rad.

Law11
07-23-2006, 06:49 PM
My seats were in 101 today and we got to see the unveiling from our seats.
melton did the honors.. Very sharp.. Little Loui was walking the concourse and walked right through the speed pitch area where some dumb ..$ kid was like hey old man we're in the middle of pitching here..

he had no idea knew who he was.. How sad.. i walked passed the kid and said hey stooge that was Luis Aparicio.... he was like who?

I kept walking but some other guy in line was like "WHO??" and was chastising the kid some more..

Let me paint a picture of this kid... ABout 21 pooka shells necklace on , no shirt visor hat upside down and backwards, shorts hanging off..

i wanted to smack this kid upside the head...

southside rocks
07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Let me paint a picture of this kid... ABout 21 pooka shells necklace on , no shirt visor hat upside down and backwards, shorts hanging off..

I saw him. He should have put a shirt on. :(:

Wsoxmike59
07-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I saw the statues on TV during the pregame ceremony and they look beautiful. Bill Melton did a good job with the emcee duties, and it was very touching to hear Little Looie speak.

I wish the TV feed didn't cut away from Joanne Fox, before she was about to speak. It would've been nice to hear from the woman who loved and knew Nellie Fox better than anybody.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I took a good look at the statues, i thought they were very sharp.

Chips
07-23-2006, 07:46 PM
I took a good look at the statues, i thought they were very sharp.
I didn't check it out today, I'll take a look at the game tomorrow.

The Dude and I were wore our Fox and Aparicio jerseys to the game not knowing that today was the statue unveiling day.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 08:05 PM
I didn't check it out today, I'll take a look at the game tomorrow.

The Dude and I were wore our Fox and Aparicio statues to the game not knowing that today was the statue unveiling day.

I thought it was a nice ceremony, but it seemed like there were a lot of people that were oblivious to what was going on.

ChiSoxGirl
07-23-2006, 11:17 PM
The Dude and I were wore our Fox and Aparicio statues to the game not knowing that today was the statue unveiling day.

:?: :roflmao: :rolling: Those had to be awfully heavy!

Chips
07-23-2006, 11:18 PM
:?: :roflmao: :rolling: Those had to be awfully heavy!

Yep. :redface: I should probably fix that.

TDog
07-24-2006, 03:03 AM

Lip

If he had filled his cheek with bubble gum, he might have been able to celebrate last October.

A stathead kid told me recently that he looked at Aparicio's numbers and doesn't understand why he is in the Hall of Fame. But I knew Fox shouldn't have had to wait in line behind Joe Morgan and didn't waste my breath answering him.

Nellie_Fox
07-24-2006, 03:11 AM
If he had filled his cheek with bubble gum, he might have been able to celebrate last October.

A stathead kid told me recently that he looked at Aparicio's numbers and doesn't understand why he is in the Hall of Fame. But I knew Fox shouldn't have had to wait in line behind Joe Morgan and didn't waste my breath answering him.Those stathead kids just can't relate to defense, and they piss me off.

Bulls_Fan
07-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Those statues are really top notch. As someone already described they are in a double-play position pose w/ the ball about to be flipped from Nellie's fingers.

I was in Sec 163 and was able to check out the ceremony.

I"m so glad i didn't see that punk kid. Some people are just clueless and rude.

wassagstdu
07-24-2006, 09:05 AM
I made the trip from Delaware to Chicago for the ceremony with my sons, and managed to get a front row spot. We had 500-level seats and were told there was absolutely no way we were getting into the concourse. So we just walked through a wide-open gate with no security. In spite of a position on the rope I could hardly see anything because of all of the photographers and dignitaries inside the rope. Nevertheless it was great to see Aparicio, and Ozzie was there in his game uniform. Also many dignitaries who were not acknowledged, like Moose Skowron (I think).

Both Aparicio's and Mrs. Fox's remarks were very touching. Luis mentioned that his father has a statue in Maracaibo, and now he has one here. (There was a ceremony in Venezuela when Luis Aparicio el Grande retired and handed over his glove and his position to his son. I wonder why Looie's son, who I remember running the bases at age 3 on father-son day in '59 or '60, didn't play baseball.) Mrs. Fox was obviously quite moved by the show of affection for Nellie "after all these years."

The statues are fabulous, really well done. The Fox statue is especially good, with the ball on the tip of his fingers. Aparicio's throwing hand was done with the care that it deserves, down to the veins in the back of his hand. I will post some pictures as soon as I get them out of my camera.

Steelrod
07-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Lip
Far too early for anyone!

Railsplitter
07-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Okay, Louie and Nellie got statues, and not a painting the way I'd like.

I still think there can be paintings in the concourse. Perhaps they should be of great Sox moments, like the last out of Charley Robertson's 1922 perfect game or last years world Series celebration.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2006, 12:13 PM
I still think there can be paintings in the concourse. Perhaps they should be of great Sox moments, like the last out of Charley Robertson's 1922 perfect game or last years world Series celebration.

There are already paintings on the concourse. The upper deck concourse, that is...

peeonwrigley
07-24-2006, 12:30 PM

Seriously... I did a google image search for Nellie Fox the other day and I think there were maybe 2 out of the hundreds of pictures where he didn't have his customary cheek full of tobacco. Doesn't look like the tobacco made the statue, though.

skottyj242
07-24-2006, 01:07 PM
I saw the statues on TV during the pregame ceremony and they look beautiful. Bill Melton did a good job with the emcee duties, and it was very touching to hear Little Looie speak.

I wish the TV feed didn't cut away from Joanne Fox, before she was about to speak. It would've been nice to hear from the woman who loved and knew Nellie Fox better than anybody.

They let her speak. I was standing on the concourse and heard her. It could have been louder though.

skottyj242
07-24-2006, 01:08 PM
Seriously... I did a google image search for Nellie Fox the other day and I think there were maybe 2 out of the hundreds of pictures where he didn't have his customary cheek full of tobacco. Doesn't look like the tobacco made the statue, though.

He does look like he has tobacco in his mouth, I will try and upload the pictures I took.

skottyj242
07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
There are already paintings on the concourse. The upper deck concourse, that is...

And all inside the 300 level.

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 01:38 PM
The Dude and I were wore our Fox and Aparicio jerseys to the game not knowing that today was the statue unveiling day.
So I guess we can call you two the "Keystone Light Combo?":cool:

Man, I know it would be watering down the whole process, but I wish the Sox would put out statues more often because they look so great. I can live with one a year for now.

Who's next? Shoeless Joe?

peeonwrigley
07-24-2006, 02:31 PM
He does look like he has tobacco in his mouth, I will try and upload the pictures I took.

Ah, OK. I was just going by the chicagosports.com photo, which certainly is not a definitive angle.

Can't wait to check out these statues when I finally have the time to head to another game.

itsnotrequired
07-24-2006, 02:35 PM
And all inside the 300 level.

There too. Good catch.

russ99
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Man, I know it would be watering down the whole process, but I wish the Sox would put out statues more often because they look so great. I can live with one a year for now.

The statue I'd love to see would be: Dick Allen with fro & muttonchops wearing the '72 powder blue & red road jersey & red helmet; a giant 44 oz. bat in one hand and a taco in the other, and of course, the daily racing form rolled up in his back pocket. :D:

But that's just me. :tongue:

Seriously, my vote for the next statue has to be Ted Lyons.

eriqjaffe
07-24-2006, 02:50 PM
The statue I'd love to see would be: Dick Allen with fro & muttonchops wearing the '72 powder blue & red road jersey & red helmet; a giant 44 oz. bat in one hand and a taco in the other, and of course, the daily racing form rolled up in his back pocket. :D: How about one where he's smoking a cigarette and juggling baseballs?

russ99
07-24-2006, 02:51 PM
How about one where he's smoking a cigarette and juggling baseballs?

I love that photo!! Dick Allen was so awesome.

Lip Man 1
07-24-2006, 03:39 PM
I love Dick Allen but Billy Pierce deserves it more.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 05:01 PM
I love Dick Allen but Billy Pierce deserves it more.

LipThe pattern seems pretty clear to me. These are all players whose numbers have been retired. That leaves Baines, Appling, Lyons and Pierce.

eriqjaffe
07-24-2006, 05:10 PM
The pattern seems pretty clear to me. These are all players whose numbers have been retired. That leaves Baines, Appling, Lyons and Pierce.Don't forget Joe Jackson, who didn't have a number to retire.

ChiSox80
07-24-2006, 05:40 PM

Wilbur Wood in the 1976 shorts.

I, too would love to see a statue of a baseball-juggling, cig-smoking Dick Allen...But Appling is the obvious next choice.

wassagstdu
07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
My (and my son's) pics:
http://Phahnestock.smugmug.com/gallery/1702893/1/83796036

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Good pics. It does look like Nellie has some snuff in his mouth.

I just hope some ******* Cub fan doesn't break Aparicio's index finger off or breaks the ball out of Nellie's hand. :angry:

:knue
"It was obviously the work of Sox fans."

zach074
07-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Wasnt there a poll here about what the next statue should be and this exact same idea was picked? Can we have another poll and agree that the next statue should be of me?

SouthSide_HitMen
07-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Those stathead kids just can't relate to defense, and they piss me off.

Wins Above Replacement Player 3 (WARP 3) is adjusted for playing era and accounts for defense.

Shortstops:

WARP 3, Player, Games

101.0 Luis Aparicio (2599)
129.9 Luke Appling (2422)
90.3 Dave Bancroft (1913)
129.3 Ernie Banks (2528)
107.5 Lou Boudreau (1646)
115.7 Joe Cronin (2124)
127.1 George Davis (2368)
71.8 Travis Jackson (1656)
73.3 Hughie Jennings (1285)
99.0 Rabbit Maranville (2670)
104.2 Pee Wee Reese (2166)
77.4 Phil Rizzuto (1661)
102.2 Joe Sewell (1903)
135.5 Ozzie Smith (2573)
79.0 Joe Tinker (1804)
127.9 Arky Vaughan (1817)
193.6 Honus Wagner (2792)
115.8 Bobby Wallace (2383)
131.9 Robin Yount (2856 - 1478 @ SS)

Average HOF SS = 111.18

Luis Aparicio was an excellent shortstop who deserves to be in the hall. If people want to point fingers at shortstops in the hall they should look at Rizzuto who is in because he hung around as a Yankee broadcaster and played on great teams. They should first look at Tinker who is in the HOF because of a poem.

Luis logged in the most games at shortstop all time and also has the most assists and double plays. He was voted in on his sixth ballot.

Saying he is not hall worthy is ignorant.

TornLabrum
07-25-2006, 12:42 AM
I made it over to the statues before the game tonight. As it turned out, that was the high point of my evening. The likenesses were excellent but there were two things that kind of bugged me:

1) Nellie's chaw was a helluvalot bigger than the little dab he appears to maybe have in his mouth.

2) They didn't put straps around the outside of the bases, and bases didn't have quilted coverings in the '50s and '60s.

Other than that, the likenesses were terrific, and the pose was perfect.

LuvSox
07-25-2006, 12:44 AM
My (and my son's) pics:
http://Phahnestock.smugmug.com/gallery/1702893/1/83796036

Awesome pics. Looks like great statues.

Chips
07-25-2006, 01:21 AM
Don't forget Joe Jackson, who didn't have a number to retire.

Also Doc White and Ed Walsh.

Nellie_Fox
07-25-2006, 02:36 AM
1) Nellie's chaw was a helluvalot bigger than the little dab he appears to maybe have in his mouth.That was my thought. The statues are great, but the first thing that went through my mind was some "politically correct" person worrying about showing the reality of Nellie's chaw would be a bad influence on children. They made it small enough that children probably won't notice it, but enough of a "suggestion" so that old-timers can't claim they left it out.