PDA

View Full Version : Levine interview with KW

getonbckthr
07-23-2006, 04:10 PM
I guess this afternoon Levine interviewed Kenny Williams. My father listened to it on the radio and said one of the questions asked was, "So Kenny on August 1st are we gonna be talking about having Soriano, Linebrink and Hernandez added to the team?" To which Kenny answered, " I'm looking for something bigger than that!" Now my dad has a tendancy to exxagerate at times so if anyone heard this is that what really was said. And if he did say that I wonder what he was thinking about.

hawkjt
07-23-2006, 04:14 PM
I heard the tail end of that interview and I will confirm that Kenny said exactly what your dad heard.

I was frankly stunned to hear it. He sounded very confident that he was going to be able to do something big.

I was all for standing pat until about a week ago. I am still not sure what moves I want to be made but I do trust kenny.

I am a big BA backer but if we had another guy that could play center thus dropping BA to the fourth outfielder for the rest of the year I could live with it.

Kenny really put his own arse on the line in this interview. Not typical for baseball gms.

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Levine interviewd him? I wouldn't be surprised if KW was just messing with him.

TDog
07-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Kenny Williams was quoted in the Seattle Times (I didn't read it online so I don't have a link) saying other AL team weren't cooperating with him because they didn't want to help the Sox. He also said the number of teams he can deal with is limited. The ones talking with him want major leaguers, and he doesn't want to deal anyone off the current team.

People usually don't know what Kenny Williams will do until he does it.

y2j2785
07-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Levine interviewd him? I wouldn't be surprised if KW was just messing with him.

Its possible that anything can happen. Ozzie in the post game interview said he wants someone to help AJ out, I guess that means he wants a new backup catcher.

Edit: Widger is now DFA.

TornLabrum
07-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I heard the tail end of that interview and I will confirm that Kenny said exactly what your dad heard.

I was frankly stunned to hear it. He sounded very confident that he was going to be able to do something big.

I was all for standing pat until about a week ago. I am still not sure what moves I want to be made but I do trust kenny.

I am a big BA backer but if we had another guy that could play center thus dropping BA to the fourth outfielder for the rest of the year I could live with it.

Kenny really put his own arse on the line in this interview. Not typical for baseball gms.

Kenny also said in the interview that BA stays.

chisoxmike
07-23-2006, 04:51 PM

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

MrX
07-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Kenny also said in the interview that BA stays. Stathead BA haters everywhere are :whiner:

Lip Man 1
07-23-2006, 05:47 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060723&content_id=1571145&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

Chisox003
07-23-2006, 06:06 PM
Well that was a given.

Now if only Ozzie would play him more than 3 or 4 times a week, I could join in the :supernana::bandance::supernana::bandance:

SOXSINCE'70
07-23-2006, 06:19 PM

That kind of makes him like Peter Graves (aka Jim Phelps)
listening to the tape recorder on an old episode of "Mission:Impossible".

"Your mission,Kenny,should you decide to accept it...."

Just remember to stand back.The tape self destructs in 10 seconds.:roflmao:

SOecks
07-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Which is a beautiful thing. I trust Kenny do make good moves, if he makes any but I just don't want Anderson moved. I hope we see him playing for the Sox for years to come. Love that defense. He just needs to work on having better communication with his corner outfielders.

Chips
07-23-2006, 06:51 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:
:supernana::supernana::supernana::supernana:

Anderson needs to stay.

Domeshot17
07-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Didnt you guys here Kenny did do something HUGE

HE JUST BROUGHT BACK SANDY ALOMAR

THIS IS JUST THE START

Sandy Will be bringing his brother back, and also will mark the return of Crazy Carl to be our 4th OF and (super teal needed) team leader.

Brian26
07-23-2006, 07:55 PM

BA stays, but that doesn't mean KW isn't going after a centerfielder. BA may be our 4th outfielder come July 31.

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 09:39 PM
BA stays, but that doesn't mean KW isn't going after a centerfielder. BA may be our 4th outfielder come July 31.

I doubt it. If anything, I think we might pick up a 4th OF who can play CF, but I would be shocked if we picked up a starting CF. The only guys remotely available are too expensive and/or injury prone (Griffey and Andruw Jones, although the Reds and Braves are very much still in the race).

Domeshot17
07-23-2006, 09:48 PM
just because this is all about rumors and speculation, what is bigger then soriano

some guys who jump out who MIGHT be available

Tejada (deff upgrade at SS)
Prior
Tom Gordon
Zito(although I am sure kenny would want a 48-72 hour window, and with Boras??)
Ben Sheets
Willis
Cabrera
Schmidt

Not sure, Probably none of those guys knowing Kenny

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 10:04 PM
just because this is all about rumors and speculation, what is bigger then soriano

Prior
Tom Gordon
Ben Sheets
Willis
Cabrera
Schmidt

Tejada is available if Angelos agrees to it, Prior possibly although I bet the Cubs ask a lot for him even though he probably won't pitch until 2007. Gordon is available. Zito is not at all, looking at where the A's are in the standings, unless Beane is blown away. I bet Willis and Cabrera stay, since they are in the Marlins control for a few more years yet (until 2009?). Ben Sheet I would think the Brewers would want to hang onto. Schmidt might be available, although the Giants just picked up Hillenbrand and are very much in the race out west, not to mention I doubt Schmidt would do well in the AL.

MRM
07-23-2006, 10:25 PM

Prior
Tom Gordon
Ben Sheets
Willis
Cabrera
Schmidt

Tejada I could see as part of a blockbuster. Prior isn't going anywhere because the Cubs couldn't get fair value out of him and what contender would take him for this year? Would love to get Gordon back. Zito is a no way with Boras as his agent. Not thank you on Sheets. Willis and Cabrera? MAKE IT HAPPEN KENNY! No thanks on Schmidt unless you are able to dump Vazques on the Giants as part of the deal.

SABRSox
07-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Stathead BA haters everywhere are :whiner:

There are statheads who love BA. Like me.

y2j2785
07-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Tejada I could see as part of a blockbuster. Prior isn't going anywhere because the Cubs couldn't get fair value out of him and what contender would take him for this year? Would love to get Gordon back. Zito is a no way with Boras as his agent. Not thank you on Sheets. Willis and Cabrera? MAKE IT HAPPEN KENNY! No thanks on Schmidt unless you are able to dump Vazques on the Giants as part of the deal.

Just gave up a 3 Run HR to Francouer to put the Phillies down by 4 in the 9th inning.

Tragg
07-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Gordon is a good pitcher, but hardly a great pitcher and is seriously overpaid. He's old as the dinosaurs as well. I'll pass on trading any near ML ready young talent for him.

Who is Hernandez? LIvan? His 5.80 NL ERA is supposed to help this team?

LInebrink would be good, at a middle reliever's price - like what Atlanta paid for Wickman.

Soriano's having a career year, the only decent OBP he's posted in ages; but, not coincidentally I suspect, it's achieved against NL competition.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Peter Angelos is insisting that any team that wants Tejada has to give up major league players for him...he does not want prospects.

That according to The Sporting News print edition.

Lip

Tragg
07-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Peter Angelos is insisting that any team that wants Tejada has to give up major league players for him...he does not want prospects.

That according to The Sporting News print edition.

Lip
That's the way I like it too...mano a mano.

spiffie
07-24-2006, 12:29 AM
I guess this afternoon Levine interviewed Kenny Williams. My father listened to it on the radio and said one of the questions asked was, "So Kenny on August 1st are we gonna be talking about having Soriano, Linebrink and Hernandez added to the team?" To which Kenny answered, " I'm looking for something bigger than that!" Now my dad has a tendancy to exxagerate at times so if anyone heard this is that what really was said. And if he did say that I wonder what he was thinking about.
It's going to be Sweeney and Haeger for Alex Rodriguez with the Yanks picking up 80% of his salary.

Mr. White Sox
07-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Willis is not going ANYWHERE, unless a team is stupid enough to trade for him. All reports are that they are saying "no" before other GMs even start to rattle off names of prospects.

My guess is it would take a very, very good MLB starter, at least a top pitching prospect and at least a top fielding prospect for something like Willis to get done.

Something like: Crede/McCarthy/Sweeney

Which is why this doesn't get done. Ever.

No.

Iguana775
07-24-2006, 07:56 AM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060723&content_id=1571145&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

from that...

Bullpen help remains Williams' target. But Williams did not deny a rumor coming out of Washington on Saturday regarding the White Sox interest in Alfonso Soriano. Williams actually expected said interest to be made public. "I knew it would come out," said Williams of Soriano. "Whoever gets [Soriano], it will be a high price to pay." j

in my Hawk impression....where would he play?

Thome25
07-24-2006, 08:06 AM

I didn't get to hear the interview but, was there any sarcasm in kenny's voice when he said that?

Levine was basically asking him if he was going to get everything but the sun, moon, and stars before July 31st. Is it possible tha Kenny was tying to inject a little humor or sarcasm into what Levine was asking?

Iguana775
07-24-2006, 08:25 AM
I didn't get to hear the interview but, was there any sarcasm in kenny's voice when he said that?

Levine was basically asking him if he was going to get everything but the sun, moon, and stars before July 31st. Is it possible tha Kenny was tying to inject a little humor or sarcasm into what Levine was asking?

Maybe he's going to get Clemons! :redneck

Actually, with all this A-Rod trade talk, I think that KW is going to get A-Rod!

The Big Squirt
07-24-2006, 08:44 AM

No - which is why I was shocked to hear it. He sounded matter-of-fact. Like he had a cheshire-cat grin on while he was sying it. Almost like a tease "I know something you don't"

harwar
07-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Saying in an interview(to bruce levine of all people) that he is about to make a big move doesn't sound like Kennys' style.
We didn't win the World Series by having a dumb GM.
KW was probably just trying to drive the price up to make it more difficult for our competitors.
There are just way too many teams still in the playoff hunt.If only Seattle would fall off dramatically right now.They have some great arms in their bullpen just waiting for KW too pluck.

Tragg
07-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Willis is not going ANYWHERE, unless a team is stupid enough to trade for him. All reports are that they are saying "no" before other GMs even start to rattle off names of prospects.

My guess is it would take a very, very good MLB starter, at least a top pitching prospect and at least a top fielding prospect for something like Willis to get done.

Something like: Crede/McCarthy/Sweeney

Which is why this doesn't get done. Ever.

No.
He's had basically one good year (last year) and a couple of decent seasons. They want an ace package for him, and there's little to indicate he's that level of pitcher.

Steelrod
07-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Can't believe anything anyone would tell Bruuuuuuuuuce!

Hitmen77
07-24-2006, 10:31 AM
It's going to be Sweeney and Haeger for Alex Rodriguez with the Yanks picking up 80% of his salary.

Haven't you heard? A-Rod is heading to the Cubs::rolleyes:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060723rogers,1,6842386.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

TornLabrum
07-24-2006, 10:51 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060723rogers,1,6842386.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Man, I want some of what Rogers is smoking.

dickallen15
07-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Saying in an interview(to bruce levine of all people) that he is about to make a big move doesn't sound like Kennys' style.
We didn't win the World Series by having a dumb GM.
KW was probably just trying to drive the price up to make it more difficult for our competitors.
There are just way too many teams still in the playoff hunt.If only Seattle would fall off dramatically right now.They have some great arms in their bullpen just waiting for KW too pluck.

His whole quote was taken out of context. As KW was hanging up Levine said his thing on the 3 players, KW said its going to be bigger than that and hung up. He may be working on deals, but he was just screwing around. He was being sarcastic.

Flight #24
07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
No - which is why I was shocked to hear it. He sounded matter-of-fact. Like he had a cheshire-cat grin on while he was sying it. Almost like a tease "I know something you don't"

I read it as Kenny's just trying to up the ante in case someone else deals for a Soriano. Like he said - he "expected" it to get out that he's in the Soriano discussions, and given Kenny's history, if he was serious about it it wouldn't be getting out. The fact that he's making moves with that knowledge tells me it's got at least some PR value to him - i.e. adding pressure to the Tiggers & Twinks.

BeviBall!
07-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Slow news century on the northside.

INSox56
07-24-2006, 11:22 AM
I'd really wouldn't mind Arod at all. Put him back where he's supposed to play, SS....one heck of an improvement offensively out of that position, that's for damn sure. When do the Uribe talks turn into the old BA talks...defensive tradeoff for lack of offense.... I don't feel yet obviously, but I can see that coming sometime.

White Sox Randy
07-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Firstly,although I didn't hear it, I agree that "the comment" was probably KW just brushing off Levine with something sarcastic.

If, and I say IF, he was serious in anyway, I think that we would have to look to Philly for this deal.

Still, Abreu and Gordon and cash to the Sox for Josh Fields, either Garcia or Vazquez and probably Haeger or someone - makes a lot of sense for both teams.

That's a deal that would really shake up the Sox and help them at the same time.

Even if he did that deal, I believe that KW would add a veteran reliever. There's no way that he goes down the stretch with Tracey in the pen and Hermanson will not be back.

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 02:11 PM
After a day to think about the comment from KW this is what I came up with, not something I would want to do but it would be big and would focus on 06 and not 07 or 08.
3 seperate deals:
Marlins get- Mccarthy, Anderson, Sweeney
Sox get- Willis
------------------------------------------
DRays get- Fields, Liotta, Vazquez plus cash
Sox get- Crawford (replaces Anderson in CF)
--------------------------------------------
Pirates get- mid-level prospect or 2
Sox get- Roberto Hernandez
Now I know he said Anderson is safe in CF however I believe if he was able to get Crawford he would be willing to move Brian. For the Marlins they get a potential top arm for 4 million dollars less than they are paying Willis, and 2 of the highest rated outfield prospects in baseball. For Tampa they get a real nice prospect at 3rd (a potential infield of Fields, Upton and Cantu), Liotta has the potential to be a solid #2 or #3 in the future to go with Kazmir, and with Vazquez they would pay him minimal this year between his previous teams picking up the salary. In the offseason they can either deal for more prospects, package him with something for a big player or keep him for their rotation. As far as the Pirates they get 2 prospects for a guy they aren't paying much and is definately not getting any younger. For the Sox they would give up some but not as much as it appears. Willis would replace Mccarthy as far as the future and replace Vazquez as far as now, not to mention getting Javy's contract off the books for the next couple of seasons. We would be losing Anderson but Crawford would be replacing him, I believe when their careers are over Carl will end up being better anyways. As far as Sweeney it would suck to lose him but considering how Dye is playing he looks good enough to play a few more years thus blocking Sweeney's progress anyway. Losing Fields is somehat big however as long as we resign Crede the loss isn't that bad. Finally trading Liotta just puts more pressure on guys like Broadway and Haegar to develop.

southsideirish71
07-24-2006, 02:18 PM
from that...

in my Hawk impression....where would he play?

In Left. His OBP is about the same as Pods, his steals at a better clip that pods, and his power...good lord. Gooch would be doing backflips over this. do you know the type of pitching Gooch would see sandwiched between Alfonso and Thome. Yikes. Plus it wouldnt allow for the opposing manager to leave the Loogy in for an inning to face Pods/Gooch and Thome. l

russ99
07-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Ha!!! :D: Good one. :D:

Then again, good ole Phil was always the Cub apologist.

russ99
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
After a day to think about the comment from KW this is what I came up with, not something I would want to do but it would be big and would focus on 06 and not 07 or 08.
3 seperate deals:
Sox get- Willis
DRays get- Fields, Liotta, Vazquez plus cash
Sox get- Crawford (replaces Anderson in CF)
Pirates get- mid-level prospect or 2
Sox get- Roberto Hernandez

I understand your "Win Now" philosophy, but there's no way I blow up the team and shred the minor league system like that at this point. If the Sox were playing under .500 baseball, maybe...

White Sox Randy
07-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Well, the upgrade from McCarthy to Willis is questionable. When did Willis become the greatest pitcher in baseball history ?

So, assuming there is little upgrade there, we have given up Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, Liotta and Javier Vazquez for Carl Crawford ?

WOW. And, I hear that he is not a great defensive CF.

sullythered
07-24-2006, 02:28 PM
:
Sox get- Willis
No thanks. I like Dontrelle, and everything, but he's not worth your (arguably) three best prospects/young guys. Willis had one great season, but hasn't shown that he can be an ace in the league on a consistant basis.

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 02:30 PM
This what i'm afraid of. I said in the thread last week prior to the Tigers series, I'm worried KW may sell the farm for 2006 success.

oeo
07-24-2006, 02:35 PM
This what i'm afraid of. I said in the thread last week prior to the Tigers series, I'm worried KW may sell the farm for 2006 success.

Kenny is already years ahead in his plans, so, quite frankly, if he has a plan...do it. He doesn't just want to win this year, he wants to win in years beyond, as well.

getonbckthr
07-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Kenny is already years ahead in his plans, so, quite frankly, if he has a plan...do it. He doesn't just want to win this year, he wants to win in years beyond, as well.
http://www.philly.com/images/philly/philly/10647/thumb_113368680062.jpg

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM

Hangar must be going nuts.:D:

Ol' No. 2
07-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Gordon is a good pitcher, but hardly a great pitcher and is seriously overpaid. He's old as the dinosaurs as well. I'll pass on trading any near ML ready young talent for him.

Who is Hernandez? LIvan? His 5.80 NL ERA is supposed to help this team?

LInebrink would be good, at a middle reliever's price - like what Atlanta paid for Wickman.

Soriano's having a career year, the only decent OBP he's posted in ages; but, not coincidentally I suspect, it's achieved against NL competition.Which is a key point that people seem to be ignoring. Back in the AL his OBP is likely to drop to around .310 or so. Soriano also strikes out a ton - hardly a desirable attribute in a leadoff hitter. Pods sees a lot of pitches, which helps out the following hitters. He's averaging 0.4 more #PIT/PA than Soriano.

miker
07-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Didnt you guys here Kenny did do something HUGE

HE JUST BROUGHT BACK SANDY ALOMAR

THIS IS JUST THE START

Sandy Will be bringing his brother back, and also will mark the return of Crazy Carl to be our 4th OF and (super teal needed) team leader.
Albert Belle comback?