PDA

View Full Version : Luis Gonzalez

Garland_IS_God
07-23-2006, 01:26 AM
This made me laugh so hard I think I wet myself.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=209327

zmz723
07-23-2006, 11:25 AM
:rolling: just who we need

Beer Can Chicken
07-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Speaking of Luis, how come nobody ever accuses him of doing steroids? The writing is on the wall....

Scottiehaswheels
07-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Speaking of Luis, how come nobody ever accuses him of doing steroids? The writing is on the wall....I think they did and he held a press conference bemoaning the idea.... Just this year too if I remember correctly... http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20060615&content_id=1507753&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

soxfanreggie
07-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm willing to take anybody right now that would help us...however I do think Gonzo is a very nice guy and could fit in ok here.

MarySwiss
07-23-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm willing to take anybody right now that would help us...however I do think Gonzo is a very nice guy and could fit in ok here.

You are correct. Gonzo is a very nice guy, a pillar of the community, and very big on charitable causes.

That said, he reportedly is not very happy with his recent treatment by the D'Backs management. The Sox could do worse for a backup outfielder--if the price was right.

michned
07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
I think he needs to deal with the fact that he will be a part time player. Judging from his recent comments down here (Mary, I figure you heard these as well) he is not prepared to be a part timer. I never heard the guy whine until this past week, and you can tell he was biting his tongue and tempering his words.

But, as Mary also mentioned, this is the face of the Diamondbacks we're talking about. The guy who won the World Series. This could easily turn into a PR nightmare for Arizona if it's not handled correctly.

That being said, I saw him at the Spring Training ticket event down here, and I couldn't believe how small the guy was. But hitting 57 homers one year, and then hitting less than half that in his other years, people are always going to whisper.

chaerulez
07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Speaking of Luis, how come nobody ever accuses him of doing steroids? The writing is on the wall....

Oh, he's been mentioned...

MarySwiss
07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
I think he needs to deal with the fact that he will be a part time player. Judging from his recent comments down here (Mary, I figure you heard these as well) he is not prepared to be a part timer. I never heard the guy whine until this past week, and you can tell he was biting his tongue and tempering his words.

But, as Mary also mentioned, this is the face of the Diamondbacks we're talking about. The guy who won the World Series. This could easily turn into a PR nightmare for Arizona if it's not handled correctly.

That being said, I saw him at the Spring Training ticket event down here, and I couldn't believe how small the guy was. But hitting 57 homers one year, and then hitting less than half that in his other years, people are always going to whisper.

Yeah, I was at Tucson First also remember and you're right, he's much smaller when you see him close-up than you would think he is. But don't you think his reluctance to consider part-time play for the D'Backs may be the result of hurt pride? Ever since this new management team bungled their handling of Jerry Colangelo, they seem to make one PR mistake after another.

Montini had a good article in today's Republic. He said that Gonzo is deserving of a "Paul O'Neill-like" sendoff. And I agree.

That said, everybody who knows him says he's a class act. As I said, we could do a lot worse.

LuvSox
07-23-2006, 03:15 PM
You are correct. Gonzo is a very nice guy, a pillar of the community, and very big on charitable causes.

That said, he reportedly is not very happy with his recent treatment by the D'Backs management. The Sox could do worse for a backup outfielder--if the price was right.

Luis in a Sox uniform would be sweet. He's one of my favorite players, his personality is tops.

His is the only non-Sox jersey I own.

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 04:02 PM
World Series hero or not, they have young OFs who could get some playing time, and Gonzo isn't a very good everyday OF any more. The best thing would be to trade him.

MarySwiss
07-23-2006, 06:55 PM
World Series hero or not, they have young OFs who could get some playing time, and Gonzo isn't a very good everyday OF any more. The best thing would be to trade him.

I agree, the best thing the D'Backs could do is trade him--for his sake as well as their own. But my point is that although he is reluctant to accept a backup role with the D'Backs (pride?), he would make a good backup for another team.

BTW, entering play today, the D'Backs are 1/2 game back in the NL West. I'm pretty sure they're not just going to bring in young OFs to give them playing time when they are right in the middle of a pennant race, albeit in what is probably the weakest division in baseball.

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree, the best thing the D'Backs could do is trade him--for his sake as well as their own. But my point is that although he is reluctant to accept a backup role with the D'Backs (pride?), he would make a good backup for another team.

BTW, entering play today, the D'Backs are 1/2 game back in the NL West. I'm pretty sure they're not just going to bring in young OFs to give them playing time when they are right in the middle of a pennant race, albeit in what is probably the weakest division in baseball.
Why not? Would playing Carlos Quentin, Conor Jackson and others more often really hurt them in the short-term? I don't think trading Gonzo really hurts them that much, depending on what they get in return. I guess the answer is that Gonzo just has to see where he is in his career, and accept the fact that he isn't the same hitter he used to be.

twentywontowin
07-24-2006, 04:07 AM
Oh, he's been mentioned...

He is the Brady Anderson of the 21st century.

Droso5
07-24-2006, 07:32 PM
I agree. Brady Anderson is the poster child for steriod fueled huge homerun season(s) followed by a quick and brutal flameout.