PDA

View Full Version : why is everything on MLB.tv blacked out today?!?!

rowand33
07-22-2006, 04:31 PM
ok, I understand that I couldn't watch the A's v. Tigers because it's on Fox and I happen to get Cubs/Nats here.

Ok, fine.

But Yankees/Jays is on YES and RSN and I'm still blacked out.

Does anybody know if there is anything I can do to fix this?

Fenway
07-22-2006, 04:34 PM
ok, I understand that I couldn't watch the A's v. Tigers because it's on Fox and I happen to get Cubs/Nats here.

Ok, fine.

This is confusing but it is the same rule for Extra Innings

Fox has the window from 1 PM to 7 PM Eastern so even though they may have shown a 1 PM game in a market the 4 PM games are blacked out outside the local market. It is a crazy rule but that is the way the contract is written.

Right now FOX is beaming the Red Sox-Mariners to New England and the Northwest.

MarySwiss
07-22-2006, 04:35 PM

Ok, fine.

I'm not sure I get this either. But on Saturdays when our Fox game in Arizona is the afternoon game and the Sox game is the morning game, it's still blacked out.

Fenway can probably answer that when he checks in.

Edit: Never mind!

rowand33
07-22-2006, 04:36 PM
This is confusing but it is the same rule for Extra Innings

Fox has the window from 1 PM to 7 PM Eastern so even though they may have shown a 1 PM game in a market the 4 PM games are blacked out outside the local market. It is a crazy rule but that is the way the contract is written.

thanks for the input.

that's ridiculous though. I'm canceling this thing as soon as I get back to school and get CSN again.

Fenway
07-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Fox never updated their website, they had the A's Tigers as a 4 PM start today

1 P.M. GAME SUMMARIES:
1=Cubs @ Nationals - 13% Josh Lewin, Lou Piniella
2=Astros @ Mets - 49% Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, Ken Rosenthal
4 P.M. GAME SUMMARIES:
3=A's @ Tigers - 15% Kenny Albert, Rod Allen
4=Red Sox @ Mariners - 22% Thom Brennaman, Steve Lyons

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5619630

rowand33
07-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Man, Fox sucks. Even when I'm down at school and the sox are on Fox, I get Cards games.

Fenway
07-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Man, Fox sucks. Even when I'm down at school and the sox are on Fox, I get Cards games.

and we stuck with them until 2013 at least :(:

I've said this before but when the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series FOX ruined the on field coverage by showing Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon kissing at second base. What movie studio released Fever Pitch? 20th Century FOX :angry: They are shameless.

Mr. White Sox
07-22-2006, 07:03 PM
For some reason I am completely able to watch the Yankees/Toronto as well as the Red Sox/Seattle games, despite their being on FOX. Go mlb.tv!

PKalltheway
07-23-2006, 01:13 AM

Ok, fine.

Speaking of the Blue Jays, why is their tv affiliate NEVER on Extra Innings? Also, since I can remember, I have NEVER seen the Blue Jays on Fox Saturday Baseball. EVER. They do come on ESPN every now and then, but never on Fox or Extra Innings (their tv station anyway). Can anybody tell me why this is? This is honestly a big mystery to me.

DSpivack
07-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Speaking of the Blue Jays, why is their tv affiliate NEVER on Extra Innings? Also, since I can remember, I have NEVER seen the Blue Jays on Fox Saturday Baseball. EVER. They do come on ESPN every now and then, but never on Fox or Extra Innings (their tv station anyway). Can anybody tell me why this is? This is honestly a big mystery to me.

I don't know how baseball works in Canada as far as broadcasting goes, but possibly because Fox is an American network, hence there wouldn't be a home market if Fox showed them.

Lip Man 1
07-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Fenway:

They are no different with the shameless promoting of Disney crap that ESPN does.

Welcome to the new age media gang, where journalistic integrity means squat compared to the company making millions.

Lip

TDog
07-23-2006, 05:27 AM
thanks for the input.

that's ridiculous though. I'm canceling this thing as soon as I get back to school and get CSN again.

You should demand a refund for the game you missed. You paid to see the game, they took your money and they refused to show it to you.

ewokpelts
07-23-2006, 11:23 AM
To be fair, Selig is overseeing the blackout issue.(He reportedly got blacked out on games more than once thsi season). He said that that the policy is being reviewed, but stressed that Fox and Espn blackouts will continue. TBS broadcasts wont interfere with extra innings or mlb.tv

The new contract also has for showing the saturday games at 3:05 instead of 12:05. So you should see less games get blacked oout on saturday, as there will be less games on saturday afternoons.

Gene

Fenway
07-24-2006, 12:50 PM

The major reason is FOX makes back a lot of the money on rights fees from ads on local Fox stations that they also own. Fox doesn't own any local stations in Toronto. Fox doesn't own the FOX station in Buffalo either so they simply don't bother.