PDA

View Full Version : Kickin' it with Cooper on Saturday

BainesHOF
07-22-2006, 01:03 PM
Just thought I'd pass along some things after talking to Don Cooper at a signing appearance Saturday at Never Too Old Sports in Lombard...

I asked him if it was nearing time to put McCarthy into the starting rotation. He said no, they'll be sticking with the current starters, and he commented that the struggling starters couldn't handle coming out of the pen as far as warming up quickly to get into a game...Of course, take this with a grain of salt. Ozzie is the manager, not Cooper, and, even if they were both considering starting McCarthy, Cooper might not want to let the cat out of the bag. In any case, Cooper seemed sincere and utterly convincing that the team would continue to go with its present rotation.

I brought up Garcia's decrease in velocity, and Cooper said both he and Buehrle were down. But he added they still know how to pitch, and that he was encouraged by Buehrle Saturday and even Garcia in his last start. Cooper said maybe everyone was spoiled at just how good they were last year. I don't think he was trying to deflect or minimize the current struggles. He was just making a good point.

Cooper was also telling some good stories about last year. After El Duque got out of the bases-loaded jam in Game 3 of the ALDS, he good-naturedly told Ozzie after the game that the next time it's okay to bring him in with a man on base and that he could handle coming in with two people on base, but to please try to avoid another bases-loaded situation. Cooper was just raving about how El Duque gets into a zone when he's in pressure situations.

After the Sox won Game 3 of the World Series, Garica told Cooper he could start making plans for after Game 4. There was no way he was going to lose the game. Then Garcia had such good stuff in the bullpen before Game 4 that when they got to the dugout after the pregame warmup that Cooper told Ozzie we were going to win the game.

The day after the World Series, Cooper was at Starbucks with El Duque. Cooper told him that he will always be remembered by Yankees fans for his pressure pitching, but that Sox fans will never forget his Game 3 ALDS performance and how important he was to us winning the World Series. El Duque wasn't sure he would be remembered by Sox fans...until 2 million fans turned out for the parade. At the parade, El Duque sought out Cooper and said, "Now I know you were right." Cooper said he was getting chills just talking about the memory.

It was great to talk with Cooper. He said he's heard some people being negative recently, but really emphasized how great the fans have been. I shook his hand and thanked him for an unforgettable 2005. Hopefully he can help turn us around and create more great memories in 2006. The season isn't over yet.

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 01:26 PM
Very cool. :cool: I love Coop.

I kind of miss Hernandez...

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I was going to go to that since its about 1 minute away from my house, but I wasn't going to pay for Coop's autograph, which I already have.

nasox
07-22-2006, 03:44 PM
Very cool. :cool: I love Coop.

I kind of miss Hernandez...

I miss him too in a sentimental way, but I saw him pitch against the Cubs on Sunday Night Baseball last Sunday. Man, he did not have it. Fortunately, the Mets still won. :smile:

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I miss him too in a sentimental way, but I saw him pitch against the Cubs on Sunday Night Baseball last Sunday. Man, he did not have it.

Okay, I miss him less now, thanks ... :D:

Brian26
07-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Just thought I'd pass along some things after talking to Don Cooper at a signing appearance Saturday at Never Too Old Sports in Lombard...

I asked him if it was nearing time to put McCarthy into the starting rotation. He said no, they'll be sticking with the current starters, and he commented that the struggling starters couldn't handle coming out of the pen as far as warming up quickly to get into a game...Of course, take this with a grain of salt. Ozzie is the manager, not Cooper, and, even if they were both considering starting McCarthy, Cooper might not want to let the cat out of the bag. In any case, Cooper seemed sincere and utterly convincing that the team would continue to go with its present rotation.

I brought up Garcia's decrease in velocity, and Cooper said both he and Buehrle were down. But he added they still know how to pitch, and that he was encouraged by Buehrle Saturday and even Garcia in his last start. Cooper said maybe everyone was spoiled at just how good they were last year. I don't think he was trying to deflect or minimize the current struggles. He was just making a good point.

Cooper was also telling some good stories about last year. After El Duque got out of the bases-loaded jam in Game 3 of the ALDS, he good-naturedly told Ozzie after the game that the next time it's okay to bring him in with a man on base and that he could handle coming in with two people on base, but to please try to avoid another bases-loaded situation. Cooper was just raving about how El Duque gets into a zone when he's in pressure situations.

After the Sox won Game 3 of the World Series, Garica told Cooper he could start making plans for after Game 4. There was no way he was going to lose the game. Then Garcia had such good stuff in the bullpen before Game 4 that when they got to the dugout after the pregame warmup that Cooper told Ozzie we were going to win the game.

The day after the World Series, Cooper was at Starbucks with El Duque. Cooper told him that he will always be remembered by Yankees fans for his pressure pitching, but that Sox fans will never forget his Game 3 ALDS performance and how important he was to us winning the World Series. El Duque wasn't sure he would be remembered by Sox fans...until 2 million fans turned out for the parade. At the parade, El Duque sought out Cooper and said, "Now I know you were right." Cooper said he was getting chills just talking about the memory.

It was great to talk with Cooper. He said he's heard some people being negative recently, but really emphasized how great the fans have been. I shook his hand and thanked him for an unforgettable 2005. Hopefully he can help turn us around and create more great memories in 2006. The season isn't over yet.

Did you go to get the guy's autograph or did you take him out to dinner? LOL. I'm hoping there weren't a lot of people in line behind you. :D:

SoxandtheCityTee
07-23-2006, 12:18 PM
The day after the World Series, Cooper was at Starbucks with El Duque. Cooper told him that he will always be remembered by Yankees fans for his pressure pitching, but that Sox fans will never forget his Game 3 ALDS performance and how important he was to us winning the World Series.

Never is right. That performance in Game 3 against Boston is one for the ages. I get emotional thinking about it too. I wish El Duque well throughout his life and will treasure his time with the White Sox always.