PDA

View Full Version : Willis/Daniel Cabrera rumors

Jjav829
07-22-2006, 11:39 AM
I'll start off with the smaller rumor.

Ken Rosenthal: (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5803144)

Their reported interest in Phillies closer Tom Gordon makes sense; the White Sox's rotation has been wobbly, but their bigger need is an impact setup man. Gordon, 38, is guaranteed a combined $12.5 million in 2007 and '08, plus a $1 million buyout. The Phillies are open to anything, but they lack a replacement for Gordon and would rather trade other parts.

The White Sox won't trade right-hander Freddy Garcia for just a reliever; they would want a young starting pitcher, too. They inquired about Orioles Class AAA right-hander Daniel Cabrera, whom they initially would have used in relief, but to no avail. The successful return of Dustin Hermanson from lower back inflammation? It's probably too much to ask.
The Diamondbacks and Pirates have relievers to spare, and White Sox G.M. Ken Williams is forever searching for creative solutions. He needs to find one the White Sox trail the Tigers in the AL Central by a season-high 5 1/2 games and their wild-card lead is down to 2 1/2 games over the Yankees and four over the Twins.

This one is a lot more intriguing.

From SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/07/21/contenders.pretenders/1.html)

The Mets are willing to include highly prized outfielder Lastings Milledge in a deal with the Marlins for Dontrelle Willis but are under the impression that it would take their top two prospects, Milledge and right-handed pitcher Mike Pelfrey, to land Willis. And one Mets exec said, "Pelfrey isn't going anywhere.''

While there's been some talk about Phillies outfielder Bobby Abreu, Mets officials are focused on pitching (Miguel Batista is another target) and are pessimistic that the Phillies would agree to pay part of the $23 million remaining on Abreu's contract through 2007 (to say nothing of the $16 million '08 option he'd want picked up). The White Sox are another team that's recently made a run at Willis, offering what one executive termed "an impressive package.'' They, too, were rebuffed.

Makes you wonder what that impressive package included.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2006, 11:45 AM

If there is truth to this rumour, one has to think that KW is doing his best to land Willis. Getting Willis would be the coup of the year.

zmz723
07-22-2006, 12:16 PM

probably fields, sweeney, and a aaa pitcher

Scottiehaswheels
07-22-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't see why the Marlins won't deal with us... half their roster is failed/former Sox as it is.... lol

MrX
07-22-2006, 12:37 PM
St Louis is supposedly offering the farm for Willis. There's a rumor they're offering Reyes, their #1 prospect Colby Rasmus, and another prospect of the Marlins choosing for him.

wxkid23
07-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Is anyone else even a bit concerned Willis numbers this year aren't really that good? I realize he had a great year last year (in the NL) but 3.94/150 hits/86 K's in 137 innings isn't going to help much in the AL the rest of this season.

gr8mexico
07-22-2006, 12:48 PM
I would hope Kenny would consider trading Javier Vazquez to the Mets for Milledge. Then trading Milledge and top prospects for Willis. That would free up alot of money for next year and you would go in with a young rotation of Brandon and Willis.

Craig Grebeck
07-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I would hope Kenny would consider trading Javier Vazquez to the Mets for Milledge. Then trading Milledge and top prospects for Willis. That would free up alot of money for next year and you would go in with a young rotation of Brandon and Willis.
They won't even give up Duaner Sanchez for Javy, so it's a little ridiculous to expect them to give us Milledge. If Willis was on the market, and Milledge was enough to get him he'd already be in New York.

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Rosenthal said on his Inside Pitch today on FOX that he truly believes that the Soriano Sweepstakes is down to the Tigers and the White Sox. He said that the sox have begun to scout Soriano.

Edit: Didnt see this was posted in the another thread. Sorry.

As to a previous post the Cardinals are being rumored in a lot of different trades. Ive heard theyre looking at Soriano, Burrell, Abreu, and Willis.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2006, 01:56 PM
For Willis, I'd give them a choice of any three prospects. If that doesn't get it done, then they can have four. Or five.

With Willis in the rotation, Vazquez could move to the pen.

This winter, both Vazquez and Garcia can be dealt (as part of multi-team trades, perhaps) to get Carl Crawford and bullpen help. The Sox still would have a rotation of Buehrle, Contreras, Willis, Garland and McCarthy and would have plenty of money to lock up Crede and Buehrle to long-term deals, extend Dye and Iguchi, and reinforce the bullpen. The Sox would be set for a long enough period to re-stock the minor league teams through drafts.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I think I saw something along these lines in the Chicago newspaper a week or ten days ago. I know I read somewhere that Kenny asked about Willis and the Marlins said no so quickly Kenny wasn't even able to name the players he'd be willing to part with.

Regarding Soriano I know George Offman, one of the reporters on WSCR radio mentioned last month that the Sox and Nats were talking and that Soriano's name was mentioned.

Lip

TheOldRoman
07-22-2006, 02:07 PM
They won't even give up Duaner Sanchez for Javy, so it's a little ridiculous to expect them to give us Milledge. If Willis was on the market, and Milledge was enough to get him he'd already be in New York.
Ok, how about this:

Sox get:
Dontrelle Willis
Duaner Sanchez
Aaron Heilmann

Mets get:
Javy Vazquez
Freddy Garcia

Marlins get:
Lastings Milledge
Josh Fields
another Sox prospect

I know it is WAY to crazy to happen in the middle of a pennant race, but it is pretty good to all teams. We would get Willis along with two good young releivers, McCarthy goes into the rotation and they free up about $15 million. The Mets would get the two horses they need, and the crap they have been running out as 4-5 starters goes to their bullpen. The Marlins would get two of the top prospects in baseball. OK, flame away.

michned
07-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Perhaps Kenny is trying to prevent Soriano from winding up with the Tigers or the Twins, and then shipping him off somewhere else.

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Perhaps Kenny is trying to prevent Soriano from winding up with the Tigers or the Twins, and then shipping him off somewhere else.

Perhaps it will be some kind of three way deal or something. We saw a big 4 way deal 2 years ago when the Cubs got Nomar at the deadline.

The Dude
07-22-2006, 03:00 PM

I wouldnt mind actually keeping Soriano and dealing Scotty if we were to trade for him. I just don't think Pods is as valuable as he was last year since that injury to his groin. He can't steal a base, he can't throw out a PK on a mid range foul ball, and he K's too much looking. Soriano would be an upgrade arm wise and bat wise but a slight downgrade possibly on D but the jury is still out on Pods.

Also, if the Twins make a move for him they are sure serious about making a strong run at us and detroit.:o:

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Soriano today is 3 for 3 with 2 Doubles and a Triple.

rowand33
07-22-2006, 03:26 PM
I want Soriano just to keep him out of Detroit.

then add the fact taht he's awesome...

let's do it kenny.

DickAllen72
07-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Ok, how about this:

Sox get:
Dontrelle Willis
Duaner Sanchez
Aaron Heilmann

Mets get:
Javy Vazquez
Freddy Garcia

Marlins get:
Lastings Milledge
Josh Fields
another Sox prospect

Where do we sign???!!! :D:

veeter
07-22-2006, 04:17 PM
With the way our STARTING rotation has been pitching, the constant talk about the need for Gordon is a joke. We couldn't get the ball to his over rated ass. I feel the starters will come around, but no thanks to flush Gordon.

07-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Ok, how about this:

Sox get:
Dontrelle Willis
Duaner Sanchez
Aaron Heilmann

Mets get:
Javy Vazquez
Freddy Garcia

Marlins get:
Lastings Milledge
Josh Fields
another Sox prospect

I think that is awesome. My brain was hurting trying to figure the 3-way out.

Too bad MLB doesnt work like fantasy baseball.

StatHead21
07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
During the Cubs/Nats game today Fox constanly mentioned the Sox had interest in Soriano.

But thats Fox for you

Craig Grebeck
07-22-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't see a good match between us and Washington. They'd have no use for Fields, wouldn't want overpaid pitchers, and KW would never give up McBrandon for a 3 month rental.