PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight Trade Rumors

Twins Win
07-22-2006, 02:42 AM
Anyone watch Baseball Tonight tonight? Tim Kurkjian believes Alfonso Soriano will be with the Twins after the trading deadline. I think there's maybe .5% chance of this happening. I don't see Washington trading him unless they get a bunch of prospects and Terry Ryan has and never will trade any prospects.

I would love to see him in the Twins lineup but it'll never happen. Thoughts?

CleeFan101
07-22-2006, 02:57 AM
Well they are going to trade Soriano for sure. Just depends on who gives up the most for him. They have no reason to keep him since he is leaving at the end of the season and they arent in the playoff hunt. So if other teams arent offering anything huge for him i guess the twins can offer one of their many prospects and grab him up.

fquaye149
07-22-2006, 04:55 AM
since when have the Twins taken ON payroll...Shannon Stewart being the obvious exception...but that was hardly a megastar big money deal

balke
07-22-2006, 08:16 AM
The Twins are 3 games back from us with Liriano, Santana, Mauer and Morneau all doing great. I'm starting to get a little nervous about this team that was about 10 games back from us last time I looked. If they get Soriano, they'll look like a very scary team, they already do to be honest.

I think the Sox will be fine, but this is a funk that has to stop immediately. Our biggest enemy is our own division, Sox have to start owning it.

bluestar
07-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Kurkjian listed the Twins as a possiblity because the Nats told him there was a "mystery team" involved in the Soriano talks. He is speculating it might be the Twins, because he thinks Soriano would help them. However, I agree that it would be very surprising to see the Twins trade prospects to get Soriano for a couple of months. I don't see it happening.

FJA
07-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Well they are going to trade Soriano for sure. Just depends on who gives up the most for him. They have no reason to keep him since he is leaving at the end of the season and they arent in the playoff hunt. So if other teams arent offering anything huge for him i guess the twins can offer one of their many prospects and grab him up.

Actually, I doubt the Nats are going to trade Soriano if all the offers are for garbage. After all the moaning in spring training, Soriano has been saying for a good part of the season that he wants to stay in Washington long term.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/05/AR2006070501800.html

You can choose not to believe Soriano, but if the Nationals believe they have a shot to build a young team around him, they probably will take that risk unless they are getting a ton in return.

whitesoxfan
07-22-2006, 01:09 PM
Rosenthal just reported on FOX that the Sox have expressed interest in Soriano...

Mr. White Sox
07-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Rosenthal just reported on FOX that the Sox have expressed interest in Soriano...

As have 10 other teams. I'm taking that for what it's worth: Kenny called to see how much it would take, and kindly declined.

munchman33
07-22-2006, 01:35 PM
As have 10 other teams. I'm taking that for what it's worth: Kenny called to see how much it would take, and kindly declined.

That isn't at all what Rosenthal reported. He said indications were given the that Sox would be willing to give up top prospects.

Frater Perdurabo
07-22-2006, 01:47 PM
That isn't at all what Rosenthal reported. He said indications were given the that Sox would be willing to give up top prospects.

I don't want Soriano on the Sox. He hits plenty of meaningless solo homers but he strikes out far too much. From 2002 to 2005, his average declined by ten points or more each year, from .300 to .290 to .280 to .268. (It's back up to .280 in the inferior National League.) I don't think he's a "grinder" or a winner, either. He's a fantastic fantasy player, but not what the Sox need. Besides, where would he play? I can think of plenty of better ways to waste $10 million per year.

miker
07-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I don't want Soriano on the Sox. He hits plenty of meaningless solo homers but he strikes out far too much. From 2002 to 2005, his average declined by ten points or more each year, from .300 to .290 to .280 to .268. (It's back up to .280 in the inferior National League.) I don't think he's a "grinder" or a winner, either. He's a fantastic fantasy player, but not what the Sox need. Besides, where would he play? I can think of plenty of better ways to waste $10 million per year.
Don't let the facts get in the way of the hot trade talk...

I'm absoulutely with you. We need PITCHING, PITCHING and more PITCHING. Plus something to get our heads out of our butts when we are on base or in the field. Soriano gives us nothing we need.

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 01:59 PM

I would guess Podsednik would be part of the deal to get him. Soriano does have about 13 Outfield Assists this year. His defense may be down from Podsedniks but his arm is a lot stronger.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2006, 02:03 PM
It's ESPN and Baseball Tonight. That's what I think. :rolleyes:

Lip

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 02:14 PM
It's ESPN and Baseball Tonight. That's what I think. :rolleyes:

Lip

Ken Rosenthal is actually neither but I can tell this is in response to Tim Kurkijan. The only baseball guy I ever listen to is Steve Stone. He seems to be a lot better than anyone else ESPN has.

miker
07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Ken Rosenthal is actually neither but I can tell this is in response to Tim Kurkijan. The only baseball guy I ever listen to is Steve Stone. He seems to be a lot better than anyone else ESPN has.
You, myself and/or a bag of manure are all better baseball analysts then anyone on ESPN.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
I know Ken and I think he's very good at what he does. If he worked for ESPN I might actually consider watching the crap.

Lip

rowand33
07-22-2006, 03:34 PM
I would guess Podsednik would be part of the deal to get him. Soriano does have about 13 Outfield Assists this year. His defense may be down from Podsedniks but his arm is a lot stronger.

I don't tihnk his D would be much worse than Pods. let's not forget that Pods is average at best in the field.

in regards to the "where's he gonna play" thing...

how could anyone think that Soriano is not an upgrade over Pods?

They get on base at the same rate (Soriano- .356, Pods- .353), Soriano has power while Pods does not (Soriano- 30 HR, Pods- 2 HR), they both steal bases (Soriano- 25/32 in SB, Pods- 29/41), Soriano has a hell of an arm, and they both are about eqaul in the errors department (Soriano- 8, Pods- 6).

While I feel that a defensive downgrade is the last thing that this team needs, I don't really think that the slight defensive downgrade of Soriano is not worth the huge offensive upgrade.

MrX
07-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Soriano has a hell of an arm, and they both are about eqaul in the errors department (Soriano- 8, Pods- 6).

While I feel that a defensive downgrade is the last thing that this team needs, I don't really think that the slight defensive downgrade of Soriano is not worth the huge offensive upgrade.
I read the other day Soriano leads the league in outfield chances as well which makes the difference in errors meaningless.

I'm not against the move, but I'm not going to get upset if it doesn't get done. It leaves us with a gaping hole in the leadoff spot next year again, or if you resign Soriano you probably can't afford Crede.

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 03:42 PM
And will he be a starter, or a long reliever? :tongue:

ChiSox80
07-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Krukky said that we are going to trade Brandon for Tom Gordon.

I laughed and laughed and laughed.

rowand33
07-22-2006, 03:59 PM
I read the other day Soriano leads the league in outfield chances as well which makes the difference in errors meaningless.

I'm not against the move, but I'm not going to get upset if it doesn't get done. It leaves us with a gaping hole in the leadoff spot next year again, or if you resign Soriano you probably can't afford Crede.

oh, I agree. I don't see soriano as a must have for us.

I just really, really don't want to see the Tigers get him.

getonbckthr
07-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Lets remember Soriano has played 2nd base what his whole life. This is his first year in the outfield and he is as good as Pods defensively and how long has Scotty been playing out there?

TheOldRoman
07-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Lets remember Soriano has played 2nd base what his whole life. This is his first year in the outfield and he is as good as Pods defensively and how long has Scotty been playing out there?
No, he is not. Soriano has a much better arm, but he is nowhere near as good as Pods defensively. Soriano makes Manny Ramirez look like a gold glover. He is very athletic, and I think he can improve greatly over the next year, but he is definately a liability now. Then again, he was much more of a liability at 2nd.

MrX
07-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Soriano to left, Pods to center

Come on, I can't believe no one has posted that yet

getonbckthr
07-22-2006, 05:31 PM
No, he is not. Soriano has a much better arm, but he is nowhere near as good as Pods defensively. Soriano makes Manny Ramirez look like a gold glover. He is very athletic, and I think he can improve greatly over the next year, but he is definately a liability now. Then again, he was much more of a liability at 2nd.
Can you really trust Pods in Left? Obviously they are both horrible but the slight very slight downgrade in fielding is worth the upgrade in arm and offense. However I wouldn't trade for Soriano unless we feel comfortable about being able to resign him before seasons end (like Freddy). I can't see a justification in selling off your future for a 2 month rental.

DSpivack
07-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Can you really trust Pods in Left? Obviously they are both horrible but the slight very slight downgrade in fielding is worth the upgrade in arm and offense. However I wouldn't trade for Soriano unless we feel comfortable about being able to resign him before seasons end (like Freddy). I can't see a justification in selling off your future for a 2 month rental.

The Nats would love to trade him now and re-sign him in the offseason.

Sargeant79
07-22-2006, 05:57 PM
While I also agree that pitching, not more offense, should be our number 1 concern, I'll play along...

I'd be fine with Soriano in left as long as as Brian Anderson is in center field every day. Mackowiak and Soriano in the same outfield would be murder to watch.

rowand33
07-22-2006, 06:07 PM
While I also agree that pitching, not more offense, should be our number 1 concern, I'll play along...

I'd be fine with Soriano in left as long as as Brian Anderson is in center field every day. Mackowiak and Soriano in the same outfield would be murder to watch.

lol. yeah, imagine this:

Soriano in left, Mack in Center, Gload in right...

my god...

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 06:17 PM
lol. yeah, imagine this:

Soriano in left, Mack in Center, Gload in right...

my god...
Dusty Baker managing ...

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Dusty Baker managing ...

:rolling:

soxfanreggie
07-22-2006, 08:56 PM
I would think that any team that would trade for him, would not give up as much unless they knew they could sign him past this season.

PushnThaEscalade
07-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Just speculation and a gut feeling, If we do get Soriano it will be for Podsednik, Haeger and Broadway/Liotta

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Just speculation and a gut feeling, If we do get Soriano it will be for Podsednik, Haeger and Broadway/Liotta

As long as we dont give up Heath Phillips. I heard his interview on the Score this morning. The guy has like a 1.50 era and 1.11 WHIP. Hes also been compared to be another Mark Buehrle.

DSpivack
07-22-2006, 10:20 PM
As long as we dont give up Heath Phillips. I heard his interview on the Score this morning. The guy has like a 1.50 era and 1.11 WHIP. Hes also been compared to be another Mark Buehrle.

Yikes--Broadway or Liotta? I thought they're expected to be much better than Phillips.

Shoeless_Jim
07-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I heard that the Sox are going to make an effort to pick him up... but i think it will be the Tigers ...who know maybe the Sox want him so the Tigers cant have him.

Lip Man 1
07-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Ozzie Guillen to White Sox. com:

"Right now, I don't have any interest in Soriano."

Take it for what it's worth.

Lip

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Sammy Sosa's available...

QCIASOXFAN
07-22-2006, 11:29 PM
Sammy Sosa's available...:o:

MrX
07-23-2006, 12:04 AM
There is no way they get him for that.

They told Detroit they wanted their #1 position prospect, Cameron Maybin, their #1 pitching prospect, Humberto Sanchez, and another midlevel pitching prospect for him.

infohawk
07-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I'd rather have Willis, but if Soriano became the Sox lead-off hitter the line-up would go from very scary to Stephen King "cover the children's eyes" macabre frightening. What a combination of power and speed hitting in front of Thome, Konerko and Dye. I think there would be a ripple effect throughout the line-up somewhat similar to what we saw after Thome was added. Soriano would likely see a tremendous number of fastballs or draw quite a few walks.

infohawk
07-23-2006, 12:12 AM
There is no way they get him for that.

They told Detroit they wanted their #1 position prospect, Cameron Maybin, their #1 pitching prospect, Humberto Sanchez, and another midlevel pitching prospect for him.
There's always the possibility that a top minor leaguer for the Tigers isn't as valuable to the Nationals as a minor leager in another system who may not be considered the top ranked player. A lot depends on what scouts think and what a team is actually willing to part with.

Another thought, there is always the possibility that KW is just trying to drive Soriano's value up so that the Tiger's have to back away or decide to overpay to get him.

rowand33
07-23-2006, 12:15 AM
if we do not come out of this slump by the deadline, I could see us being involved in some MAJOR trades.

Kenny is the not sort of GM that will just stand pat when there's still time left to win the division.

Domeshot17
07-23-2006, 12:35 AM
that may be what the nats asked for but they didnt get it.

I would guess first off Kenny would want a 72 hour window to negotiate an extension because he wont overpay for a rental.

I wouldnt be overly shocked to see a 3 team deal that looked something like this

Mets get
Vidro
Garcia
Livan

Nats get
Milledge
Fields
Heager
Owens
Lioatta

Sox get
Soriano
Pelfry
Sanchez or Heilmann

Lip Man 1
07-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Info:

Of course it's also possible that all Soriano would bring to the club is another homer happy free swinger.

On that score I think we have all that we need don't you?

Lip

MrX
07-23-2006, 01:31 AM
that may be what the nats asked for but they didnt get it.

I would guess first off Kenny would want a 72 hour window to negotiate an extension because he wont overpay for a rental.

I wouldnt be overly shocked to see a 3 team deal that looked something like this

Mets get
Vidro
Garcia
Livan

Nats get
Milledge
Fields
Heager
Owens
Lioatta

Sox get
Soriano
Pelfry
Sanchez or Heilmann

The Nats have no need for Fields

Jjav829
07-23-2006, 10:31 AM
I think the Soriano interest is a ploy to drive up what Detroit or Minnesota will have to pay. Kenny's not stupid. He's heard the Soriano-to-Detroit rumors most of the year. Now all of a sudden there are whispers that the Twins could get involved and we definitely don't want the Twins to get Soriano. So he gives Bowden a call and floats a rumor to someone in the media that he has interest in Soriano. Now both Terry Ryan and Dave Dumbrowski have another rival to worry about Soriano going to, thus possibly increasing the price they would pay to land Soriano. Meanwhile, Kenny maybe drags the discussions out a bit longer and forces the Twins and/or Tigers to put all their eggs in one basket, meaning it's Soriano or bust for them.

If Kenny really is interested in Soriano, it has to be a 3-way deal. Soriano just makes no sense for us. He's a free agent at the end of the year and really doesn't bring anything new to this team. He's a power hitter with good speed on a team that already has a ton of power and a speed guy at the top. Yes, he's an upgrade over Pods, but the upgrade isn't worth the price given that he could walk after the year. Maybe Kenny figures if he can get Soriano for a decent price he can then swing another trade with Soriano for some pitching. Not a traditional way of going about trading, but you can't put it past Kenny to think outside the box a bit.

Domeshot17
07-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Fields could be enticing more as an OF then a 3b to the nats. I am sure they are looking at his bat much more then his glove.

Frater Perdurabo
07-23-2006, 04:55 PM
So he gives Bowden a call and floats a rumor to someone in the media that he has interest in Soriano. Now both Terry Ryan and Dave Dumbrowski have another rival to worry about Soriano going to, thus possibly increasing the price they would pay to land Soriano. Meanwhile, Kenny maybe drags the discussions out a bit longer and forces the Twins and/or Tigers to put all their eggs in one basket, meaning it's Soriano or bust for them.

Great analysis!

Don't discount KW and Bowden conspiring, either. If KW gets in on the discussions, or even if he is rumoured to be doing so, that helps out Bowden, because he will be slated to reap the rewards. If so, Bowden then might be inclined to do KW a similar favor on another deal. Jon Rauch (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4572) seems to be their best remaining middle reliever... :tongue:

Tragg
07-23-2006, 10:42 PM
I think the Soriano interest is a ploy to drive up what Detroit or Minnesota will have to pay. I hope so; I sure wouldn't want to pay a big price to rent Soriano.
Trading a top prospect like Fields to rent swing-at-everything (don't we have enough of those type hitters)Soriano would be absurd. For goodness sakes, not that Wickman is that great, but he was the Indians closer and the braves got him for an A BALL player.
Rents suck.