PDA

View Full Version : Who Supports the Sox?

nasox
07-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I posted this in the postgame thread, and I think it deserves its own thread.

RELAX.

This is a trying time for the team. But we will emerge stronger and better prepared to win.

This is the time that our team needs us the most. We shouldn't be booing, we should be cheering. Sure, anybody can root for a winner, but when things get tough, the tough get going. The tough can either get going in one of two ways: They can get going by supporting this team now more than ever, or they can get going to where it is easier. Make your choice.

I stand by my team because they are my team. Win, lose or draw, I still love them as much as I did October 26, 2005. And when I love somebody, I don't kick them into the gutter when they need me the most. I support them.

Who is with me? Who supports the Sox? I know I do.

Domeshot17
07-21-2006, 10:46 PM
we all support the sox, but they need to get their **** straight. Konerko keeps choking with men on base, Iguchi cant hit, we have 2/5 a rotation, So NO, I dont think we should be applauding our team now. Especially when they act like they care less about how bad they are playing, right now, this team has absolutely no heart.

Justagirl
07-21-2006, 10:48 PM
they act like they care less about how bad they are playing, right now, this team has absolutely no heart.
:o: wth?

The Dude
07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm no kool-aid drinker and I'm no dark cloud but if last years team and Ozzie taught me anything it's to just be patient and relax because we have a damn good team and a damn good manager. Teams will go through slumps and the Tigers will too. We still lead the wild card after our crappy play so thats promising in itself. We will be fine and we WILL make the playoffs some way or another. We just can't let this losing become a habit.

The Dude
07-21-2006, 10:49 PM
we all support the sox, but they need to get their **** straight. Konerko keeps choking with men on base, Iguchi cant hit, we have 2/5 a rotation, So NO, I dont think we should be applauding our team now. Especially when they act like they care less about how bad they are playing, right now, this team has absolutely no heart.
No heart?? How the **** can you make a judgement like that???

EDIT: Actually I dont give a **** what your response is so dont even bother explaining yourself. Ignored.

schmitty9800
07-21-2006, 10:50 PM
:o: wth?Yeah I don't know what Domeshot17 would rather them do, rip each other? They're still trying. The clutch hits aren't there at all (and the pitching of course).

voodoochile
07-21-2006, 10:50 PM

Bull****. I think that has been proven to be false over the past 12 months. Tough times or not, I see no reason to question their desire.

I am still here and still riding shotgun.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 10:52 PM
For the sake of discussion the Tigers earlier in the season lost 8 of 11. Who's to say that 'was' their slump?

Are the going to win 115 games, probably not but they are getting close to the point where if they just keep hammering the garbage teams like they have all season long it won't matter what the Sox do.

All year the Sox have had chances and couldn't get it done, it's costing them dearly right now.

Lip

JB98
07-21-2006, 10:54 PM

LOL. This is the same group of guys that rallied from a 9-1 deficit in the seventh inning to tie a game against Houston. They have heart. They care. They are just in a slump, and it's a bad slump. We suck right now; I can't dispute that. But heart is one thing I'm NOT worried about.

Domeshot17
07-21-2006, 10:59 PM
You guys are right, just so friggin frusterated with this crap baseball being played. But right now I say we arent playing with heart because we arent doing the little things. When things are going well, and buehlre gives up 4 or 5 in an inning, they come back and score 6 or 7. Right now, They are watching Strike 3's, not limiting the damage done, not picking each other up, its sloppy, ugly baseball. I know they want to win, and I know they are trying, But this is painful to watch. We got Ozzie running his mouth about Padilla (which I usually wouldnt mind) but right now keep it in the club house, worry about getting your team right, because when we are winning are could care less about Ozzie's little tirades, but right now isnt the time to start another one. I know he is just trying to take the heat off our boys, but its just putting them more in the spotlight.

Frater Perdurabo
07-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I KNOW FOR A FACT that the Sox have heart. But lately they have played in a manner that might lead some (not me) to question whether they are playing with heart. The one notable exception was the 19-inning win against Boston.

Nevertheless, I support this team with all my heart. Always have; always will.

TornLabrum
07-21-2006, 11:03 PM
One thing I'd like to point out. I don't think we've had an 0-8 streak yet. I know we did at least once last year. And that turned out pretty well.

JB98
07-21-2006, 11:04 PM
You guys are right, just so friggin frusterated with this crap baseball being played. But right now I say we arent playing with heart because we arent doing the little things. When things are going well, and buehlre gives up 4 or 5 in an inning, they come back and score 6 or 7. Right now, They are watching Strike 3's, not limiting the damage done, not picking each other up, its sloppy, ugly baseball. I know they want to win, and I know they are trying, But this is painful to watch. We got Ozzie running his mouth about Padilla (which I usually wouldnt mind) but right now keep it in the club house, worry about getting your team right, because when we are winning are could care less about Ozzie's little tirades, but right now isnt the time to start another one. I know he is just trying to take the heat off our boys, but its just putting them more in the spotlight.

"We aren't doing the little things." That's a fair statement. That's a reason we are struggling. That's also a lot different than saying the team has no heart.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Hal:

I may be wrong but I thought it was seven straight before they snapped it on that Sunday with four home runs versus Johnson.

Of course they still had a decent lead at the time and could afford a slump (if such a thing is possible) unfortunately the way the rest of the league has played this season they don't have that luxury.

It's not fair but that appears to be the way it is.

Lip

JB98
07-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Hal:

I may be wrong but I thought it was seven straight before they snapped it on that Sunday with four home runs versus Johnson.

Of course they still had a decent lead at the time and could afford a slump (if such a thing is possible) unfortunately the way the rest of the league has played this season they don't have that luxury.

It's not fair but that appears to be the way it is.

Lip

It was seven straight. I was at the game where we hit the HRs off Johnson, so I remember many of the details of that situation.

TornLabrum
07-21-2006, 11:14 PM
It was seven straight. I was at the game where we hit the HRs off Johnson, so I remember many of the details of that situation.

Lip, and JB, I couldn't remember, so I guessed. Missed it by that much!

beckett21
07-21-2006, 11:17 PM
The Sox still have my unwavering support.

No way anyone should be burying this team on July 21st with over two months left to go.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else here, but they will turn it around. There is work to be done, but there is still plenty of time left. It won't be easy, but few things worth achieving are.

gbergman
07-21-2006, 11:22 PM
ok, i still support the Sox and always will, i just hate how they have been playing the last few weeks

CLR01
07-21-2006, 11:24 PM
:yoohoo:

voodoochile
07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
ok, i still support the Sox and always will, i just hate how they have been playing the last few weeks

Yeah and I hate your signature, so we both got our bears to cross.:(:

Viva Medias B's
07-21-2006, 11:28 PM
I support the Sox regardless of what happens henceforth. If we free fall our way out of the playoffs, which I highly doubt, I still support them.

Frontman
07-21-2006, 11:31 PM
They've got my support until I see a full year of bad baseball and a "who cares" attitude from the Front office.

I haven't seen either yet this season, maybe next season they *might* loose my support, but I doubt that.

I was concerned with what Ozzie said about the players losing confidence. That is different than heart. I think this team needs to be reminded of what they've done for this city, and that we still are in appreciation of that. It's easy to say, "they suck/they have no heart/they got too cocky/they don't have chemistry/etc." but its another to look at it honestly.

Honestly, they're playing bad. They need to pull themselves up by their palehose and realize just precisely who they are, what they have accomplished as players and as a team. I say that as yes, not all of the current players are from the championship team. That is not to say that Jim Thome isn't a high caliber player. He's accomplished more in his career than others. They all are fully capable of playing better, save Brian Anderson, as he's been playing good while the rest has gone downhill. So before anyone says it, no we don't need Aaron Rowand back.

If they make mental/execution errors, yes be frustrated. But don't boo because they loose. That's easy to do. SUPPORT your team.

That's just my take on it.

Front

Frontman
07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Yeah and I hate your signature, so we both got our bears to cross.:(:

I got to agree with that one. That's not really supportive in any way that I can see.

Domeshot17
07-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I agree that we all support them, if we didnt, we wouldnt be on this board, we wouldnt all be pissed because we are falling, we wouldnt be having flashbacks of 2004. I dont think we have the class of most cubs fans, and Boo for no reason. However, Konerko said it good after the game "There just hasn't been anything to cheer about". I dont think any true sox fan would go boo their team, and they will still get cheered when the game starts tommrow, and sunday, and monday etc. Its just a matter of them getting back to the basics. Iguchi needs to be sat for a few days. anyone can see he is still favoring his ankle, and that is throwing him very off balance at the dish. Konerko needs a day off ASAP just to clear his head, calm down, stop pressing. Put Thome at first, DH Ozuna, hit him 1 and Pods 2. move dye up to 4 and Crede to 5. You do that, I think you would find enough fire power to bust through with a win.

TheDarkGundam
07-21-2006, 11:39 PM
My name is TDG and I support the sox.
I have some 1500 high quality posts on this here site, and when the Sox start playing like ****, it hurts.
I will support the Palehose 'till the day I day, and when that day comes, and want my corpse dumped onto the field. Not my ahses, my stinking, rotted, corpse. How awesome would that be?

BeviBall!
07-21-2006, 11:40 PM
I love it when people say others have no heart. The only person that doesn't have a heart is Whitney Houston and anyone who says different is a big, fat, smelly liar!

I guarantee that the guys are pressing because they have TOO MUCH heart.

CLR01
07-21-2006, 11:47 PM
My name is TDG and I support the sox.
I have some 1500 high quality posts on this here site, and when the Sox start playing like ****, it hurts.
I will support the Palehose 'till the day I day, and when that day comes, and want my corpse dumped onto the field. Not my ahses, my stinking, rotted, corpse. How awesome would that be?

You will be fined $15 for excessive use of the word day.

TheDarkGundam
07-21-2006, 11:59 PM
You will be fined $15 for excessive use of the word day.
:o:
Dammit. Do you take a check?
*sigh* I'm a man, I won't even edit my post.
Just nobody make fun of me! :(:

:redneck

Dancin' Homer
07-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Sweet Lord I hate the word support. When used in the context of this thread it doesn't mean anything!

Of course I'm a Sox fan and I want them to win every game but I think I have a right to be disappointed when they lose and lose badly.

Sorry about the text in white though, I just needed to get that out.

gbergman
07-22-2006, 12:38 AM
:o:
Dammit. Do you take a check?
*sigh* I'm a man, I won't even edit my post.
Just nobody make fun of me! :(:

:redneck
that check can be made payable to
greg bergman
ill pm you my adress

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 08:36 AM
I posted this in the postgame thread, and I think it deserves its own thread.

RELAX.

This is a trying time for the team. But we will emerge stronger and better prepared to win.

This is the time that our team needs us the most. We shouldn't be booing, we should be cheering. Sure, anybody can root for a winner, but when things get tough, the tough get going. The tough can either get going in one of two ways: They can get going by supporting this team now more than ever, or they can get going to where it is easier. Make your choice.

I stand by my team because they are my team. Win, lose or draw, I still love them as much as I did October 26, 2005. And when I love somebody, I don't kick them into the gutter when they need me the most. I support them.

Yes, I do. I support the Sox because in my 39 years of being a fan, this is probably the best team I have ever seen fielded by the White Sox.

I support the Sox because I believe that Ozzie is the best manager for this club.

I support the Sox because I believe that Kenny Williams is the best GM in baseball, and has at last found the way to get Jerry Reinsdorf to do what's needed to build a truly good team.

I support the Sox because slumps are part of baseball, and when they're as down as they are now and pressing as hard as they are now, the last thing that helps anyone is to heap blame on a player or the team.

I support the Sox because they are a talented bunch of players who are committed to playing together this year and doing the very best they can do, and because their belief in themselves will be stronger if it's shored up by their fans.

It hasn't been fun or pretty, watching the baseball this team has played in July 2006. But Billy Pierce, who was just interviewed on the Score this morning, said that he has never seen a single season of baseball (and he's even older than I am!) where a good team didn't have a bad streak, and a bad team didn't have a good streak. Chicago's northside team will have a brief stretch of respectability this year, but it will not change who and what they are. The Sox are in their spell of disrepute, and we all hope it ends here and now, but it will not change who and what they are.

I like this board a lot, but I read it less when the Sox are not winning all the time just because I don't at all like the posters whose response to a slump is anger. Truthfully, to me that makes a fan spoiled, greedy, and childish -- as Pierce said, the "what have you done for me today" style of fan. I stay away from people like that.

There are reasons to be annoyed by the Sox deficiencies right now, and reasons aplenty to be disappointed by the team's play and the performance of individuals. Does anybody really think that the players aren't heaping ENOUGH grief on themselves for those things?

And the posts that tell Ozzie how to manage are not even worth my time to read. The day that anybody on an internet board knows more about managing a major-league ballclub than Ozzie Guillen is the day that I can replace Joe Crede at third base.

Analysis, lamentation, and general kvetching are all appropriate at times like this. Turning on the team that you loved last month and excoriating them for not having "heart" or something equally silly, though, just makes you a fair-weather fan.

Sorry for the length of this, I got a little carried away.

russ99
07-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Yes, I do. I support the Sox because in my 39 years of being a fan, this is probably the best team I have ever seen fielded by the White Sox.

I support the Sox because I believe that Ozzie is the best manager for this club.

I support the Sox because I believe that Kenny Williams is the best GM in baseball, and has at last found the way to get Jerry Reinsdorf to do what's needed to build a truly good team.

I support the Sox because slumps are part of baseball, and when they're as down as they are now and pressing as hard as they are now, the last thing that helps anyone is to heap blame on a player or the team.

I support the Sox because they are a talented bunch of players who are committed to playing together this year and doing the very best they can do, and because their belief in themselves will be stronger if it's shored up by their fans.

It hasn't been fun or pretty, watching the baseball this team has played in July 2006. But Billy Pierce, who was just interviewed on the Score this morning, said that he has never seen a single season of baseball (and he's even older than I am!) where a good team didn't have a bad streak, and a bad team didn't have a good streak. Chicago's northside team will have a brief stretch of respectability this year, but it will not change who and what they are. The Sox are in their spell of disrepute, and we all hope it ends here and now, but it will not change who and what they are.

I like this board a lot, but I read it less when the Sox are not winning all the time just because I don't at all like the posters whose response to a slump is anger. Truthfully, to me that makes a fan spoiled, greedy, and childish -- as Pierce said, the "what have you done for me today" style of fan. I stay away from people like that.

There are reasons to be annoyed by the Sox deficiencies right now, and reasons aplenty to be disappointed by the team's play and the performance of individuals. Does anybody really think that the players aren't heaping ENOUGH grief on themselves for those things?

And the posts that tell Ozzie how to manage are not even worth my time to read. The day that anybody on an internet board knows more about managing a major-league ballclub than Ozzie Guillen is the day that I can replace Joe Crede at third base.

Analysis, lamentation, and general kvetching are all appropriate at times like this. Turning on the team that you loved last month and excoriating them for not having "heart" or something equally silly, though, just makes you a fair-weather fan.

Great post - one disagreement in general with this thread:

If I pay 35$ for a ticket, I have a right to boo if Buehrle stinks it up for an inning. That doesn't mean that I don't support the Sox completely, and I will cheer twice as loud when they do well.

That said, these guys will get it together. It just seems that every break is going against them this stretch. Trust in the guy in the dugout - Ozzie is great in situations like these. The guys need to play loose and have fun again. Forget about all the other teams and have fun playing baseball again.

TornLabrum
07-22-2006, 09:42 AM

If I pay 35$ for a ticket, I have a right to boo if Buehrle stinks it up for an inning.

You're right. Everybody has the inalienable right to make an ass of himself/herself. That's what makes America great.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-22-2006, 09:44 AM

..... But Billy Pierce, who was just interviewed on the Score this morning, said that he has never seen a single season of baseball (and he's even older than I am!) where a good team didn't have a bad streak, and a bad team didn't have a good streak. Chicago's northside team will have a brief stretch of respectability this year, but it will not change who and what they are. The Sox are in their spell of disrepute, and we all hope it ends here and now, but it will not change who and what they are.

Don't apologize for the length. You said a lot that needed to be said. Liked the quote from Pierce also.

I've been a Sox fan as long as you and have seen so many truly bad teams that that I'm still a little bit in a state of wonder over our Championship. Yeah, they look pretty rough now but to hear some of the people on the boards you would think they all had been replaced by the '62 Mets.

It's fine to be pissed, upset, angry, worried, etc. That comes with being a fan. But to boo a guy like Burehle who has been a rock or that jerk behind home plate giving the finger to Crede (who is still playing well and always gives 100%) ...that's not being a fan, that's being a child who feels entitled to nothing but good feelings and wants to lash out if not constantly rewarded.

I'm glad to see there are plenty of true Sox supporters on this board. Nice to see the trolls get a vacation also.

GO SOX!

Jurr
07-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Ohhhhh..doom and gloom. Fire and brimstone. The worst baseball in years.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

All you have to look at is this......the Sox are playing their worst stretch of baseball THIS SEASON. That being said, they're only 6-10 in July. Only 4 games under .500 in their worst stretch. That is following an 19-8 June. Oh, look at this...they've played 9 games against the three best teams in the AL besides themselves. It happens. This isn't an 8 or 9 game losing streak.

Relax. People are getting caught up in the day to day picture instead of realizing that this team is only 4 games under in their worst stretch. If they turn it around soon and this is as bad as it gets, we just watched a pretty good season. Like Ozzie said, do you know how many teams would absolutely LOVE having 58 wins right now? Nobody's invulnerable to a slump. Let's hope the Tigers have theirs in August and September. If not, we'll see them in the ALCS.

Get a grip, people!!!

voodoochile
07-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Ohhhhh..doom and gloom. Fire and brimstone. The worst baseball in years.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

All you have to look at is this......the Sox are playing their worst stretch of baseball THIS SEASON. That being said, they're only 6-10 in July. Only 4 games under .500 in their worst stretch. That is following an 19-8 June. Oh, look at this...they've played 9 games against the three best teams in the AL besides themselves. It happens. This isn't an 8 or 9 game losing streak.

Relax. People are getting caught up in the day to day picture instead of realizing that this team is only 4 games under in their worst stretch. If they turn it around soon and this is as bad as it gets, we just watched a pretty good season. Like Ozzie said, do you know how many teams would absolutely LOVE having 58 wins right now? Nobody's invulnerable to a slump. Let's hope the Tigers have theirs in August and September. If not, we'll see them in the ALCS.

Get a grip, people!!!

Yep and a bunch of those losses have come down to final AB for the Sox. Didn't get it done, but not like they have been rolling over and getting blown out on a regular basis.

Jurr
07-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Yep and a bunch of those losses have come down to final AB for the Sox. Didn't get it done, but not like they have been rolling over and getting blown out on a regular basis.
Yup. And when you're pressing, you don't come through in those late situations. When things are going better, those big hits and pitches magically appear, like a flip of the switch. It's crazy, but it's baseball.

The game is so mental, and that's why it's the best. The best teams on paper can go up in flames because of their noggins, not their talent.

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 10:00 AM

If I pay 35$ for a ticket, I have a right to boo if Buehrle stinks it up for an inning. That doesn't mean that I don't support the Sox completely, and I will cheer twice as loud when they do well.

See, I don't boo that kind of stuff. And with all due respect, I don't understand fans who do. Do they think that Buehrle INTENTIONALLY flamed out in the 3rd inning? To boo a player for something beyond his control, IMO, shows ignorance on the part of the fan. Now, to boo a player for dogging it -- that makes some sense to me. (And that's not an issue with this team.)

Booing players HURTS them. You had to see how it bothered Jim Thome when the Cleveland "fans" booed him on his return there this year. I am not going to hurt players who are already struggling -- therefore hurting -- by booing them. I don't even do that to opposing players.

I boo pitchers who bean Sox batters. I boo fans who throw opposing-team homerun balls back onto the field at the Cell. I boo umpires liberally.

I don't boo the Sox.

MarySwiss
07-22-2006, 10:12 AM
See, I don't boo that kind of stuff. And with all due respect, I don't understand fans who do. Do they think that Buehrle INTENTIONALLY flamed out in the 3rd inning? To boo a player for something beyond his control, IMO, shows ignorance on the part of the fan. Now, to boo a player for dogging it -- that makes some sense to me. (And that's not an issue with this team.)

Booing players HURTS them. You had to see how it bothered Jim Thome when the Cleveland "fans" booed him on his return there this year. I am not going to hurt players who are already struggling -- therefore hurting -- by booing them. I don't even do that to opposing players.

I boo pitchers who bean Sox batters. I boo fans who throw opposing-team homerun balls back onto the field at the Cell. I boo umpires liberally.

I don't boo the Sox.

Even though I was sitting home 1800 miles away watching on MLB.TV, I was embarrassed when the booing started. I suppose if you paid for the ticket, that gives you the right to boo, but IMO, if you exercise that right, then you're an idiot and should just stay home.

NONE of us (except the trolls) are happy about the past three games, but nothing that happened during them--or that happens from now on--will change the fact that MY TEAM won the World Series last year and still has an excellent chance of repeating.

There's nothing wrong with being angry about their recent play, but don't boo the Sox.

russ99
07-22-2006, 10:17 AM

I don't boo the Sox.

Good point. I do feel bad for booing Buerhle. I'm just really disappointed in the Sox right now. I expect better from our starting staff than we're getting lately. I was too disgusted with Riske last night to boo him.

The Thome thing doesn't really apply in this case, plus I cheered the Big Hurt his first game, even when he hit that first homer against us.

In the future, I'll try to reserve my booing for boneheaded, lazy stuff. It's obvious these guys are trying really hard right now.

Oh, and I boo "the wave" too. Idiots. :tongue:

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Liked the quote from Pierce also.

Oh, Pierce was terrific. I don't usually have the Score on, but I'm glad I did this morning. Here's more that I remember of what he said:

* Every summer, usually in August but sometimes in July, pitchers just seem to lose it -- lose velocity, lose the ability to place their pitches, lose their good arms. It's like the 3-4 months that they've pitched so far suddenly hit them, and they're tired. However, this passes, and invariably they get re-charged in August or September. Pierce said he has no idea why this is, but it is. He didn't agree that having pitched the post-season last year had tired out any of the Sox starters. (He did lambast, I think, the WBC and said that it was a stupid idea to have it during spring training.) He said that a number of the Sox pitchers are struggling with this seasonal low right now, which is what led to the start of this slump (and then it spread to the hitters). He said that there is nothing for Coop to "fix', that you -- the pitcher -- just go out there and take your next start and work through it. He said that Buehrle, in particular, is a much better pitcher than his last 4 starts indicate, and this is a career slump for Mark. But he didn't see it as indicating that Mark is done, or needs to change anything in particular. More like "it happens, get through it."

* The '59 Sox didn't repeat in '60. Pierce said it's really hard to repeat, largely because so much LUCK goes into winning. The '59 Sox, he pointed out, won a lot of 1-run games. The next year, the '60 Sox didn't. Those 1-run games, he said, "can really go either way" and when a club is hot, they win them. There's an element of luck involved there.

* He likes this Sox team a lot and certainly thinks they can win it all; he thinks that Ozzie will manage appropriately through this slump and will not make it worse by anything he does. But basically, slumps are part of baseball, and it's how a team weathers a slump that will make a difference in the end.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I support them, it's natural to worry.

If a semitruck is barreling down on you, don't you worry? Sure it might swerve at the last second (akin to us taking the lead in the AL Central in September) and everything turns out ok.

jongarlandlover
07-22-2006, 10:52 AM

me, too. i love the white sox, i always have and always will just like you said. but right now, they're annoying me a little bit. if they could pick it up and start winning, that'd be just lovely.

oh, and what's with the signature?

SouthSide_HitMen
07-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Sox have six weeks to make up some ground. Our August schedule is favorable (based on opponents and home / away split) while Detroit faces their toughest stretch. By Labor Day we will need to be within (or ahead) by a few games (to win the division) as Detroit finishes the season against the Royals and such while we have a week on the West Coast (Oakland & Anaheim) as well as a trip to Boston.

I've watched baseball for over 30 seasons and realize the season is very long and you need to have a perspective when viewing / analyzing short periods of play. Some of the people here view each game as life or death and get too excited after a win and too depressed after a loss.

This has been a bad stretch but as long as the team is healthy they have the talent to recoup and make a stretch run. We also have a very good & aggressive GM in Kenny Williams who will do what he can to improve the club over the next week plus. Ozzie is also not going to sit there like Manuel and do nothing. He will motivate the team via encouragement, fear, anger and anything else he can muster.

The White Sox are going to do what they are going to do. People can either watch the games and enjoy them as much as possible or fret and pull their hair out after each bad pitch, play, inning, game. I'll go with the former and be optimistic based on the talent and management this team has. I trust the team cares much more about the latest slump than we do (maybe too much - they need to shake it off as well - Ozzie says they appear snakebit whenever the opposition scores). I like Ozzie's calm talk with the team postgame yesterday.

I'd like to see Garcia plunk the leadoff hitter to set the tone that we are done putting up with Buck's BS and are here to play baseball.

Go You White Sox!!!

viagracat
07-22-2006, 11:12 AM
LOL. This is the same group of guys that rallied from a 9-1 deficit in the seventh inning to tie a game against Houston. They have heart. They care. They are just in a slump, and it's a bad slump. We suck right now; I can't dispute that. But heart is one thing I'm NOT worried about.

I don't question their heart or desire either, but mental fatigue might be an issue right now. Not sure why, but you see that in every team during the course of a long, grinding season. Even vaunted teams like the Yankees sometimes look like a AAA team.

Do you show up to work every day ready to take on the world and convinced you'll make a big difference that day? If you're like everyone I know, some days maybe you do; other days it just ain't there. No easy explanation.

As someone said (forgot who), losing is contageous. So is winning. The Sox have the talent to go on a long run when they get thier mojo back, which will probably happen after one of those great wins that leaves everyone temporarily exhausted. Let's hope that's soon.

soxfan1983
07-22-2006, 11:27 AM
i was at the game last night and could not believe that 5 run inning..... and the amount of people booing! i was not a proud sox fan at that moment. BUT i felt we could come back and we almost did but then after that 4 run inning i knew we had no chance. and then the booes started and especially for anderson. some idiot was yelling out Triple A to him after he misjudged a play. some of the people going to these games have no idea whats going on. this kids defense is just as good as rowands and his bat is finally coming around. isnt he batting .333+ in july and now over .200 for the season?

personally i think all the people booing are the fair weather fans that jumped into the bandwagon last year in september and october and also over the winter. im not blind to see that this team isnt playing good baseball, because they are not. BUT i would never boo my team, for what they did for us as fans and as a city last year means more than words can explain. they could miss the playoffs this year for all i care, as long as they play good baseball. but over the last month they have no played good baseball. which bothers me more than anything. last nights game was definitely an example of it and so was thursdays game with bases loaded and only getting 1 run.

the marketing slogan of "win or die trying" has definitely been the case in SOME games this year, but really lately they havent been dieing trying. :(:

RockyMtnSoxFan
07-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Of course I support the Sox. I think we all do on this board (minus a few trolls). But that doesn't mean I'm happy when they're losing. Yes, I realize it's a long season and all that, but losing six of seven isn't just due to some statistical anomaly that should be expected during a 162-game season. They are playing poorly right now. I believe the same thing now that I did in mid-September last year: IF the Sox don't change their level of play, they won't make the playoffs. Fortunately, they have more time to do that this year; however, they also have less breathing room. Do I think they will turn it around and keep playing in October? Yes, because they do have quite a bit of potential. But they had better stop relying on their potential and start playing the way they are capable of playing.

If I am accused of being a dark cloud, it is because I absolutely hate to see the Sox fail. I don't mean losing a game or two, I am talking about the kind of slump that they are enduring now. It has always made me sick to my stomach when the Sox play poorly, but this year is different -- they are better prepared to win and have higher expectations than any other year since I've been a Sox fan. And when pitchers go out and give up meatball after meatball, and the hitters fail to lay down bunts or get the sav fly or even put the ball in play, I can't help but be upset because I know they can do better.

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 11:52 AM
They are playing poorly right now. I believe the same thing now that I did in mid-September last year: IF the Sox don't change their level of play, they won't make the playoffs.
But if that happens, will you still support the Sox?

Support has nothing to do with criticism and everything to do with blame. Being critical of poor performance is completely compatible with being a fan. Blaming players or the team in circumstances like the present for failing to win, as if they wanted or intended to lose, is not fan behavior, it is something else.

I think that's what this thread is about, but maybe I misunderstood something.

If Buehrle bombs four times in a row, it upsets the fans and lessens the chances for the Sox to win it all, and it adds to the L column for the team.

What does it do to Buehrle? Everything, and most of it bad. It affects his outlook, his attitude, his relationship with his teammates -- all things that in turn affect the team performance. It affects his next starting performance. It affects his salary next year and maybe in years to come. It might affect where he plays ball and where his family lives next year and in years to come. It affects his image and his whole identity as a major-league ballplayer, and to most of those guys, that's about their whole life.

And fans act like they're the ones being shortchanged and deprived when Mark gets taken yard by the Rangers batters and gives up 5 runs. I suggest that it's a little bigger than that, that's all. The ballplayers aren't living and dying to make the fans happy -- that's a byproduct of playing winning baseball, but it's not the bottom line.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Oh, Pierce was terrific. I don't usually have the Score on, but I'm glad I did this morning. Here's more that I remember of what he said:

* Every summer, usually in August but sometimes in July, pitchers just seem to lose it -- lose velocity, lose the ability to place their pitches, lose their good arms. It's like the 3-4 months that they've pitched so far suddenly hit them, and they're tired. However, this passes, and invariably they get re-charged in August or September. Pierce said he has no idea why this is, but it is. He didn't agree that having pitched the post-season last year had tired out any of the Sox starters. (He did lambast, I think, the WBC and said that it was a stupid idea to have it during spring training.) He said that a number of the Sox pitchers are struggling with this seasonal low right now, which is what led to the start of this slump (and then it spread to the hitters). He said that there is nothing for Coop to "fix', that you -- the pitcher -- just go out there and take your next start and work through it. He said that Buehrle, in particular, is a much better pitcher than his last 4 starts indicate, and this is a career slump for Mark. But he didn't see it as indicating that Mark is done, or needs to change anything in particular. More like "it happens, get through it."

* The '59 Sox didn't repeat in '60. Pierce said it's really hard to repeat, largely because so much LUCK goes into winning. The '59 Sox, he pointed out, won a lot of 1-run games. The next year, the '60 Sox didn't. Those 1-run games, he said, "can really go either way" and when a club is hot, they win them. There's an element of luck involved there.

* He likes this Sox team a lot and certainly thinks they can win it all; he thinks that Ozzie will manage appropriately through this slump and will not make it worse by anything he does. But basically, slumps are part of baseball, and it's how a team weathers a slump that will make a difference in the end.

Thanks for sending more of the interview. Pierce was always one of my favorites, a great pitcher and very classy guy.

OzzyTrain
07-22-2006, 12:24 PM
I do, I will be there supporting today and tomorrow.

Although yesterday was the first time that Mark actually seemed alittle shook up

y2j2785
07-22-2006, 12:50 PM
I always have been and always will be a sox fan. Ill root for them through thick and thin. They just need to start playing better.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-22-2006, 01:10 PM

True, you do have that right but I have to see it as counterproductive. I don't think booing is going to motivate the average player just make things worse. There are probably a few exceptions, a Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale probably fed on it. AJ seems like a guy would let it roll off his back. But unless he's dogging it, I don't thing it's going to help most players.

markopat
07-22-2006, 02:15 PM
I support this team...THIS Manager...100%

We will prevail!

Chips
07-22-2006, 02:20 PM

I'm with you.

I support the Sox.

All these pants pissers can kiss the fatest part of my ass.

markopat
07-22-2006, 02:22 PM

Great Post Southside Rocks. I am the same as you...I hit this site less when we are slumping. I am happy that it has really only been 2X in the last year and a half. For that I am thankful! Emotion is a powerful thing...Positive and Negative. I choose to be positive!

Go Go SOX! :moonwalk:

PKalltheway
07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm still a White Sox fan and I always will be. To all of the fairweather fans and bandwagoners who are panicking: feel free to jump off now because I don't want to be next to someone who won't support the Sox with undying support.
Thanks and... GO SOX!!!:supernana:

nasox
07-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for sending more of the interview. Pierce was always one of my favorites, a great pitcher and very classy guy.

He'd be better on the radio than Singleton.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
He'd be better on the radio than Singleton.

True

voodoochile
07-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Cheeses hasn't posted his support yet? I am shocked. I mean the Sox STILL aren't eliminated...

I think you should say something positive Cheeses... Don't make me do it. I really will...

*Voodoo eyes the stuck thread feature function threateningly*

*coughs*

:tongue:

credefan24
07-22-2006, 05:37 PM
I've been a fan most of my life (I don't think I knew what baseball was when I was a year old). At any rate, I haven't given up in the 27 years before they won, I'm not about to jump ship now!

Lets Go Sox. You guys are better than this!