PDA

View Full Version : Twins to leave WCCO radio after 45 seasons

Southsider101
07-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Say good-by to another MLB team on 50,000 watt, clear channel radio. The Minnesota Twins will be leaving WCCO radio after 45 years seasons. Like the Cardinals and others, they will take their radio rights and production in-house.

http://www.startribune.com/129/story/565365.html

SouthSide_HitMen
07-21-2006, 08:11 PM
I love it how Twins ownership begged like a crackhead for money and then told the taxpayers to **** off once they got it just a few weeks later.

I'll stand by an earlier statement - there is only one sports owner worse than Bill Wirtz and his name is Carl Pohlad.

TheOldRoman
07-21-2006, 08:17 PM
I love it how Twins ownership begged like a crackhead for money and then told the taxpayers to **** off once they got it just a few weeks later.

I'll stand by an earlier statement - there is only one sports owner worse than Bill Wirtz and his name is Carl Pohlad.
Please. Pohlad is scum, but he doesn't compare to Wirtz. 1) Almost all of the Twins games are on TV. 2) Pohlad is cheap as hell, but at least he hired competant people who know baseball and can build a winner.

nasox
07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
And he's won twice in the past twenty years.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Please. Pohlad is scum, but he doesn't compare to Wirtz. 1) Almost all of the Twins games are on TV. 2) Pohlad is cheap as hell, but at least he hired competant people who know baseball and can build a winner.

And he's won twice in the past twenty years.

Pohlad begged to kill off his team (contraction) - far worse than home blackouts and incompetence IMO. Wirtz also paid for his stadium (with Reinsdorf) unlike the billionaire Pohlad who has begged for over a decade to screw over Minnesota taxpayers. The Metrodome lease was a fair one for the taxpayers (they recouped their money - Minnesota did not profit from it but they didn't lose out either) which kept Pohlad up at nights.

Then again, maybe the few remaining Hawks fans (many of whom are boycotting like me) would be better off if Wirtz contracted his team (better yet - sold the team to non Wirtz interests).

TheOldRoman
07-21-2006, 09:47 PM
Pohlad begged to kill off his team (contraction) - far worse than home blackouts and incompetence IMO. Wirtz also paid for his stadium (with Reinsdorf) unlike the billionaire Pohlad who has begged for over a decade to screw over Minnesota taxpayers. The Metrodome lease was a fair one for the taxpayers (they recouped their money - Minnesota did not profit from it but they didn't lose out either) which kept Pohlad up at nights.

Then again, maybe the few remaining Hawks fans (many of whom are boycotting like me) would be better off if Wirtz contracted his team (better yet - sold the team to non Wirtz interests). Contraction - No.
Extortion - Yes.
Contraction was never a real threat. Bud put it out there to scare Minnesota into building a new stadium for the Twins. Contraction would cost a ridiculous amount of money (which would have come out of the other owners' pockets), and there were already markets seeking MLB franchises. Look at the deal MLB got in Washington. I think all the owners got over a 100% profit after they sold the Nats. For as dumb as Bud is, he wasn't dumb enough to really contract.

DumpJerry
07-21-2006, 10:40 PM
The Players' Association has to approve any contractions. Therefore, it will never happen, they don't want to screw over 40 members.

Wirtz is by far a worse owner than Pohlad. You cannot get any worse than Wirtz. I really don't think it's possible. There's no room for deprovement.

Twins Win
07-21-2006, 11:26 PM
They're just moving their radio broadcast to a different station. The Twins don't own the station. I personally can't stand WCCO but don't care which station they're on. I rarely listen to them on the radio anyway.

They tried their own tv broadcast a few years ago but nobody here purchased it so they finally broke down and made a deal with FSN and other stations to broadcast the games on tv.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Dump:

No longer. They gave up that right in the 2002 labor agreement but for the sake of this thread about six weeks ago Selig can out and categorically said that 'contraction was now off the table...'

Lip

DumpJerry
07-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Dump:

No longer. They gave up that right in the 2002 labor agreement but for the sake of this thread about six weeks ago Selig can out and categorically said that 'contraction was now off the table...'

Lip
Ok, I did not know. I still don't see contraction taking place, even though it would improve the competitiveness of MLB overall because contraction=thinning the herd.

Hey! Post number 3,500!

gbergman
07-22-2006, 12:18 AM

I'll stand by an earlier statement - there is only one sports owner worse than Bill Wirtz and his name is Carl Pohlad.I dont know Bill wirtz is pretty bad

TDog
07-22-2006, 01:38 AM
First KMOX, now WCCO? As much as I dislike the Twins (and fishing), there was something good and wholesome about being out fishing on a lake well outside the metro area on a summer afternoon listening to the Twins on WCCO.

Twins Win
07-22-2006, 02:33 AM
First KMOX, now WCCO? As much as I dislike the Twins (and fishing), there was something good and wholesome about being out fishing on a lake well outside the metro area on a summer afternoon listening to the Twins on WCCO.

Next year you'll be able to listen to them on KSTP 1500 instead. Besides I believe you have to at least 60 years old to listen to WCCO.

Babe The Blue Ox
07-22-2006, 02:38 AM
Next year you'll be able to listen to them on KSTP 1500 instead. Besides I believe you have to at least 60 years old to listen to WCCO.

I don't know if KSTP is going to be any better, but WCCO is pretty bad. I hope they ditch Dan Gladden as the color guy when they switch over - he's unbearable.

Nellie_Fox
07-22-2006, 03:12 AM
Next year you'll be able to listen to them on KSTP 1500 instead. Besides I believe you have to at least 60 years old to listen to WCCO.lol...I'm 57, and I find WCCO unlistenable. It's like WGN at its worst. KSTP's regular programming is mostly political talk. It will be interesting to see how they handle baseball.

Twins Win
07-22-2006, 04:01 AM
lol...I'm 57, and I find WCCO unlistenable. It's like WGN at its worst. KSTP's regular programming is mostly political talk. It will be interesting to see how they handle baseball.

Give it 3 years you'll be a regular listener. :tongue:

TornLabrum
07-22-2006, 10:30 AM

Yeah, from my few trips to the Twin Cities, I'd have to venture a guess that WCCO is the WGN of Minnesota.

Southsider101
07-22-2006, 11:32 AM

I'm one Twin Cities resident who will not miss their endless number of funeral home, nursing home, retirement community and medical products commercials. There are some days when I wonder if WCCO is owned by the AARP rather than CBS Radio.

tebman
07-22-2006, 11:45 AM
This is the same situation as that with the Cardinals and KMOX. The corporate owners of the radio station want pure revenue growth for the next quarter's financial report, and aren't interested in the long-term health of the station. KSTP, the new Twins' station, is locally-owned and is willing to work with the team. The sad thing is that fewer people will hear it.

These maps are basic comparisons of signal strength between KSTP and WCCO. Remember too that WCCO is on a clearer frequency that it doesn't share at night with other stations for nearly 1000 miles; KSTP is on a frequency that it shares with other stations around the country, which makes it noisier at night.

Salesmen and lawyers are the ones doing these deals, not programmers or true radio people.

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/KSTP_AM_LN.gif

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WCCO_AM_LU.gif

Southsider101
07-22-2006, 12:10 PM
lol...I'm 57, and I find WCCO unlistenable. It's like WGN at its worst. KSTP's regular programming is mostly political talk. It will be interesting to see how they handle baseball.

KSTP has been moving away from conservative talk for a while now. They dumped Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh and are clearly trying to put a more local and less political stamp on the station. I suspect that we will see more of Pat Reusse and Joe Soucheray's Sports Talk, which is the best sports talk program in the Twin Cities.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-22-2006, 12:22 PM
The Players' Association has to approve any contractions. Therefore, it will never happen, they don't want to screw over 40 members.

Wirtz is by far a worse owner than Pohlad. You cannot get any worse than Wirtz. I really don't think it's possible. There's no room for deprovement.

Pohlad at least won a few World Series. After further reflection I will agree Wirtz is a worse owner though Pohlad has been very bad. I've bought a ticket for Twins baseball from Pohlad more recently than I have bought a ticket from Dollar Bill so I guess that speaks volumes considering I live in Chicago.

Bill Wirtz is most likely the worse human being as well (based on his theft / collusion with convicted felon and union leader Alan Eagleson and other shady behavior).

I've listened to games in Chicago on WCCO. I also listened to Cardinals games on KMOX. If baseball is moving to the satelite / internet broadcast model then all games may either be on low frequencies (or gasp not over the air at all).

I still think this is penny wise / dollar foolish as you will begin to lose fans from a 300 mile + radius who planned a few trips a year to watch the team they listen to each night. Now they will most likely be shut out based on MLB's insane TV black rules and the fact their local TV provider may not carry the team. I also think Pohlad has a lot of nerve getting his tax increase over several counties and then pulling the plug on some of the people who are paying for his stadium.

ewokpelts
07-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Wirtz is by far a worse owner than Pohlad. You cannot get any worse than Wirtz. I really don't think it's possible. There's no room for deprovement.not in 2006 offseason....up to two teams can be contracted this offseason...as per the latest labor contract....

ewokpelts
07-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Pohlad at least won a few World Series. After further reflection I will agree Wirtz is a worse owner though Pohlad has been very bad. I've bought a ticket for Twins baseball from Pohlad more recently than I have bought a ticket from Dollar Bill so I guess that speaks volumes considering I live in Chicago.

Bill Wirtz is most likely the worse human being as well (based on his theft / collusion with convicted felon and union leader Alan Eagleson and other shady behavior).

I've listened to games in Chicago on WCCO. I also listened to Cardinals games on KMOX. If baseball is moving to the satelite / internet broadcast model then all games may either be on low frequencies (or gasp not over the air at all).

I still think this is penny wise / dollar foolish as you will begin to lose fans from a 300 mile + radius who planned a few trips a year to watch the team they listen to each night. Now they will most likely be shut out based on MLB's insane TV black rules and the fact their local TV provider may not carry the team. I also think Pohlad has a lot of nerve getting his tax increase over several counties and then pulling the plug on some of the people who are paying for his stadium.you forget...for 14.95 a season, you can listen TO ALL MLB GAMES online....why bother with a radio when you can listen online? mlb.com is also rolling out mobile(cell phone) broadcasts, and 99.9% of games are on xm NOW....

Gene

TDog
07-22-2006, 12:55 PM
This is the same situation as that with the Cardinals and KMOX. The corporate owners of the radio station want pure revenue growth for the next quarter's financial report, and aren't interested in the long-term health of the station. KSTP, the new Twins' station, is locally-owned and is willing to work with the team. The sad thing is that fewer people will hear it. ...

That was my point. I was dragged up to a cabin in Northern Minnesota one summer (when I was a kid and such abuse was considered healthy) and people listened to the Twins games on WCCO. A few years ago, I picked up baseball on WCCO driving east through Sioux Falls.

Babe The Blue Ox
07-22-2006, 07:33 PM

I still think this is penny wise / dollar foolish as you will begin to lose fans from a 300 mile + radius who planned a few trips a year to watch the team they listen to each night. Now they will most likely be shut out based on MLB's insane TV black rules and the fact their local TV provider may not carry the team. I also think Pohlad has a lot of nerve getting his tax increase over several counties and then pulling the plug on some of the people who are paying for his stadium.

Actually, only Hennepin County (where Minneapolis is located) will see an increase in its sales taxes, an amount of 3 cents for every $20 spent in the County on property that is subject to sales tax. So those of us in Hennepin County will get KSTP loud and clear; actually, I now listen to both Twins and ChiSox games on XM Radio, so it wouldn't matter to me anyway.

No one outside of the Twin Cities may know about this, because it lasted all of about 1 month a couple of seasons ago, but Pohlad started "Victory Sports Network" for the TV broadcast of Twins games. None of the cable companies around Minnesota would pick it up, so the Twins had to go crawling back to FSN and all was well in the world again.

We'll see if the KSTP venture pans out. I have heard that they will have affiliates pick up games in outstate MN and ND/SD to cover areas that KSTP doesn't reach.

PKalltheway
07-23-2006, 01:05 AM
I understand that this move on the radio can affect their fanbase, but why can't affiliates from other cities pick up the games? That would help retain their fanbase right there.

TheOldRoman
07-23-2006, 02:11 AM
I understand that this move on the radio can affect their fanbase, but why can't affiliates from other cities pick up the games? That would help retain their fanbase right there.
Yeah, but it doesn't always work out nicely.
I went to U of I, and the Champaign affiliate was a smooth jazz station. The problem was that they only aired one or two games a week (when they were supposed to have every game) and there was no schedule for which games were aired or not. Of course, Champaign is out of the AM1000 range at night (you can pick up maybe every other word between static). Actually, I picked up the Cleveland broadcast of an Indians-Sox game. My point is, even though there are "local affiliates", it doesn't work out nicely.
However, 670 has a huge range, so I don't think they need as many local affiliates.

Nellie_Fox
07-23-2006, 02:12 AM
KSTP has been moving away from conservative talk for a while now. They dumped Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh and are clearly trying to put a more local and less political stamp on the station. I suspect that we will see more of Pat Reusse and Joe Soucheray's Sports Talk, which is the best sports talk program in the Twin Cities.They didn't "dump" Limbaugh; his show is syndicated by another radio conglomerate, and they decided that they no longer wanted to provide programming to the competition. I don't know what the deal was on Hannity.

Soucheray and Reusse may be one of the best sports talk shows in the country. I even look forward to the ten-minute sports talk on Soucheray's regular "Garage Logic" show when Reusse phones in. It's great stuff.

TDog
07-23-2006, 05:13 AM
you forget...for 14.95 a season, you can listen TO ALL MLB GAMES online....why bother with a radio when you can listen online? mlb.com is also rolling out mobile(cell phone) broadcasts, and 99.9% of games are on xm NOW....

Gene

I only care about White Sox games, and I'm working during two-thirds of the games. Is there a deal online where I can get one-third of the White Sox season for 17 cents?