PDA

View Full Version : Just call me Thomas Paine

Jurr
07-21-2006, 01:40 PM
It's time to post the annual issue of "Common Sense".

People are really freaking out about this Sox team. Their pitching isn't dominant. They're not hitting well of late. The Tigers aren't going away.

You guys have to understand that this is a GOOD thing for everybody. You've gotta believe that the Sox are going to put it all back together, and they'll get back to executing in all phases of their game. They've hit a lull, but most of the losses are the result of little plays here and there that just don't get made. We've seen bases loaded situations go for naught, double plays not get turned, and pitchers not finishing off hitters. It seems like every time one of these situations develops, it costs the Sox BIG. Watch the World Series again...if the Sox didn't execute perfectly, they easily could've lost all four of those games. So small is the margin between victory and defeat.

Once the team gets back into that good frame of mind, they'll begin stringing together multiple wins and at least taking 2 out of 3 in most series. In the meantime, you've gotta realize that this pennant race can only help.

If the Sox CAN'T get it together, then they don't belong in the playoffs. That would suck, but it would be reality. However, if they do have it together and play well in August and September, they'll be ready for the playoffs. The Cleveland push last year caused the Sox to focus and play sharp baseball again. They had a huge lead, lost their edge, didn't execute, and suddenly the pressure was on. If Cleveland doesn't push the Sox, I firmly believe they are NOT the 2005 Champs.

Wild Card teams do well in the postseason because they are having to play a ton of meaningful games in August and September, and they retain their sharpness. The Sox weren't a wild card team last year, but they had a dogfight down the stretch, and it paid huge dividends.

The next couple of months are make or break, and it's going to be very entertaining. Those of you that are feint of heart should just go and watch ESPN classic. You know who wins those games. The uncertainty is compelling this year, and you've gotta love it. If the Sox aren't up to the challenge, then they're not in the playoffs. If they do pull off the playoff berth, then they'll be in great shape for a repeat because of the push they're getting from the other AL contenders.

How can you not be excited? How can you be down on the Sox? This is what makes baseball absolutely great. Enjoy the show.

Scottiehaswheels
07-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Not saying this as an excuse or anything but how many times has it also been mentioned that many of the players have had some sort of cold this week as well... Doesn't excuse the poor play before the break but might have some effect on how they've been "performing" in the past week...

tebman
07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
**slap!**

Thanks. I needed that.

Well put, as was lpneck's essay on being a reformed dark cloud. I take a few deep breaths and remember that the Sox won the World Series. Then I feel much better.

Jurr
07-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Not saying this as an excuse or anything but how many times has it also been mentioned that many of the players have had some sort of cold this week as well... Doesn't excuse the poor play before the break but might have some effect on how they've been "performing" in the past week...
I just think they've lost a little bit of confidence, and just haven't been executing. They've been playing really good teams, and haven't been up to the challenge. They'll get it back.

INSox56
07-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Payne... :wink:

nasox
07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
He mispelled it on purpose out of respect. Common Sense is a fine piece of work, and he didn't want to bring it down to the level of that post. :tongue:

sox1970
07-21-2006, 02:07 PM
He mispelled it on purpose out of respect. Common Sense is a fine piece of work, and he didn't want to bring it down to the level of that post. :tongue:

And you misspelled misspelled.

hellenicsoxfan
07-21-2006, 02:10 PM
I have the feeling that the Tiger series was like a cold bucket of water into the face of the slumbering Sox. It just seems to me that the Sox bought into "Chicks dig the long ball" mentality and forgot what won them the World Series last year. After game 1 they felt good with the win - Garland pitched great and they played long ball. After that, however, they couldn't figure out how to score runs. Contreras pitched well enough to win but they didn't. And the worst part was the Tigers throwing a bunch of attitude into the Sox faces. If that doesn't get the Champs' full attention, nothing will. I really think we'll see the real Sox again starting tonight.

nasox
07-21-2006, 02:29 PM
And you misspelled misspelled.

That was....ummm....because I wanted.....uh....to respect.........look a troll::dtroll:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/images/smilies/4-outahere.gif

southside rocks
07-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I have the feeling that the Tiger series was like a cold bucket of water into the face of the slumbering Sox. It just seems to me that the Sox bought into "Chicks dig the long ball" mentality and forgot what won them the World Series last year. After game 1 they felt good with the win - Garland pitched great and they played long ball. After that, however, they couldn't figure out how to score runs. Contreras pitched well enough to win but they didn't. And the worst part was the Tigers throwing a bunch of attitude into the Sox faces. If that doesn't get the Champs' full attention, nothing will. I really think we'll see the real Sox again starting tonight.

I couldn't agree with you more. The Sox saw -- got it pushed into their faces, actually -- how much the Tigers want to win this. Now it's time to see the Sox response to that. :D:

Jurr
07-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Actually, it's Paine. Look it up. Sorry. :wink:

Mark
07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Living only a couple of Thome moonshots away from the Paine Museum in NY, Jurr's spelling is absolutely correct.

And thanks for the advice, Jurr. If my gut survived last September, it can survive anything.

TornLabrum
07-21-2006, 06:22 PM

He was actually thinking of the movie star John Payne. It's a natural mistake. :redneck