PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 7-22

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 12:42 PM
For it's one, two, three strikes you're out...

July 22, 1962- Sox outfielder Floyd Robinson gets six hits in six at bats in a game against the Red Sox. The White Sox would win 7-3 in Fenway Park. Robinson would have an amazing season driving in 109 RBI's on only 11 home runs. He also had 45 doubles.

July 22, 1991- Former Sox owner Bill Veeck is enshrined into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. Veeck also owned the Indians and St. Louis Browns. He revolutionized the way baseball marketed their product and he was decades ahead of his time in his thinking on revenue sharing, television and MLB’s ‘option clause.’

July 22, 1995- In a game in Chicago then Brewers manager Phil Garner and then White Sox manager Terry Bevington get into a fist swinging brawl near the third base bag. The brawl was touched off when Ozzie Guillen shoved Jeff Cirillo. Garner who managed Milwaukee from 1992 to 1999 had incidents with the club before. Many of those were prompted by some of his acerbic comments including refusing the refer to the Sox by name, using the moniker ‘big city’ The Sox would win this day 4-2.

Lip

TommyJohn
07-21-2006, 01:09 PM
I hate to see these boards defiled by any mention of that manager:angry: :angry:

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Calling Bevington a manager slanders managers everywhere don't you think?

Lip

TommyJohn
07-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Calling Bevington a manager slanders managers everywhere don't you think?

Lip

I would call him a moron, but I don't want to slander morons.

southwstchi4life
07-21-2006, 03:43 PM
I would call him a moron, but I don't want to slander morons.

Bevington was bad, But Manuel takes the cake. I remember when Carlos Lee against minn, had to tell manuel we needed a pinch runner (they showed it on tv). He made me sick. but the media loved him, so he had a good rap

miker
07-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Funny, "Scrap Iron" Phil still hasn't beaten us in an important game!

TommyJohn
07-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Bevington was bad, But Manuel takes the cake. I remember when Carlos Lee against minn, had to tell manuel we needed a pinch runner (they showed it on tv). He made me sick. but the media loved him, so he had a good rap

Manuel was NOT as bad as Bevington. Manuel at least was able to pilot
a team to a division title. He was also well-spoken. Bevington couldn't
string two sentences together to save his life, and he mismanaged the
1996 White Sox into the ground. That team at the very least should have
won the wild card. On top of that, he was an ass.