PDA

View Full Version : interesting conversation on the score...

JermaineDye05
07-21-2006, 11:19 AM
I was just listening to the score and they were talking about how there seems to be some tension in the outfield, especially dealing with Pods. I've noticed this a lot with Pod's cutting in front of Brian and taking his catches and yesterdays double by shelton when they nearly ran into each other going after the ball. Now one question I wonder is if Pods still has a Centerfielder state of mind after playing center in Milwaukee 2 years ago. The score also mentioned that there appeared to be some tension between Rob and Pods in the outfield, does anyone else think its time for the sox to explore other lead off possibilities and part ways with Pods, Fields and Sweeney look ready so if theres an open spot in the outfield one of the two could fill it or the sox could go with Juan Pierre, but being logical I doubt a deal between the cubs and sox is gonna happen

your thoughts....

(btw I don't mean any of this to happen in the first two weeks before the deadline, although it is a thought)

itsnotrequired
07-21-2006, 11:25 AM
There didn't seem to be a problem last year. I can't imagine that Pods has gone into "center fielder mode" and thinks he's running the show. Seems to be mental mistakes, plain and simple.

CashMan
07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Fields and Sweeney look ready so if theres an open spot in the outfield one of the two could fill it or the sox could go with Juan Pierre, but being logical I doubt a deal between the cubs and sox is gonna happen

So a prospect, who projects to a #3 or #4 hitter, is going to play LF and lead off? Sounds good to me! And bring up Sweeney(who is about 1-2yrs away from being ready), to play LF and leadoff? Sound like another good idea! Why would you want Pierre, who sucks in the field, and has no arm, and by the way is hitting something like 240? Sounds like another good idea!

Unless the Sox trade for Ichiro or Crawford, I think the OF is ok.

Tekijawa
07-21-2006, 11:43 AM
So a prospect, who projects to a #3 or #4 hitter, is going to play LF and lead off? Sounds good to me! And bring up Sweeney(who is about 1-2yrs away from being ready), to play LF and leadoff? Sound like another good idea! Why would you want Pierre, who sucks in the field, and has no arm, and by the way is hitting something like 240? Sounds like another good idea!

Soriano is the answer, he's equaly as bad as Pods in the out field and is about 14 times the offensive threat, not to mention a great lead off hitter. Of course I'd rather have Crawford.

FedEx227
07-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Crawford for Pods straight up?

Steelrod
07-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Anderson had a shot at catching the ball and was running towards the infield. Pods was headed towards right and should not have caught the ball as he was not in postion to make a throw. Something is definately brewing out there!

samram
07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
Crawford for Pods straight up?

Hey, that's my idea, damnit!:D:

I don't know what's going on in the OF since I haven't watched a game in almost a month, but I do know that Pods isn't very good out there. I also don't think he's in the Sox long-term plans. He's not a good fundamental player and he only seems to run hard when he's attempting to steal. That said, they'll probably sign him to a five year deal this offseason.:redneck

Tekijawa
07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
He's not a good fundamental player and he only seems to run hard when he's attempting to steal. That said, they'll probably sign him to a five year deal this offseason.:redneck

He is also one of the worst bunting "leadoff" men in the game!

samram
07-21-2006, 11:56 AM
He is also one of the worst bunting "leadoff" men in the game!

Yeah. He seems to be able to bunt for hits, but he has bad form when trying to move a guy over. It also seems to me that for a guy with his speed, the plays at first base are never really close when he hits grounders- he's always out by two or three steps.

Tekijawa
07-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah. He seems to be able to bunt for hits, but he has bad form when trying to move a guy over. It also seems to me that for a guy with his speed, the plays at first base are never really close when he hits grounders- he's always out by two or three steps.

I would also like to add that I'm sick of the ladies in my section clammering for their cameras everytime he bends over in Left... I think they should make his wife sit out there, so us guys have something to take pictures of when our wives are done with the camera...

spiffie
07-21-2006, 12:04 PM
There didn't seem to be a problem last year. I can't imagine that Pods has gone into "center fielder mode" and thinks he's running the show. Seems to be mental mistakes, plain and simple.
Last year they also had Rowand in CF, someone who Pods might have had much more confidence in than either Anderson (rookie) or Mackowiak (butcher), so perhaps Pods is overcompensating and trying to take control of that area a little more this year.

I_Liked_Manuel
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
rob didn't look too pleased with pods in the first tigers game when they bumped into each other

southside rocks
07-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Why would you want Pierre, who sucks in the field, and has no arm, and by the way is hitting something like 240? Sounds like another good idea!

Actually, Juan Pierre is batting .275, and he's got 35 stolen bases this year. I confess to having thought of Juan Pierre as a Pods replacement too (heresy!), because I think I read that Ozzie likes him a lot -- but they're both left-handed batters, so there's no versatility if platooned in LF with Mack, and the biggest reason I wouldn't want the Sox to get Pierre is that the guy just can't take a walk. He's got 18 this year, in 94 games played. That whole northside team roster swings at the first pitch way too often.

Let's get Ichiro, so Iguchi will have some company besides just his translator! Oh wait -- it would take two Sox starters to get Ichiro? Never mind.

Seriously, I think there are some communication issues in the outfield, and maybe some issues of rank as well. If so, there's no excuse for that on a major-league club and it should be sorted out pronto.

INSox56
07-21-2006, 12:54 PM
LOL don't get me started. Some have hated it, but I've called for Scotty's head for more than a month now. I just hope we don't resign him. Oh well, just my opinion.

Jjav829
07-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I was just listening to the score and they were talking about how there seems to be some tension in the outfield, especially dealing with Pods. I've noticed this a lot with Pod's cutting in front of Brian and taking his catches and yesterdays double by shelton when they nearly ran into each other going after the ball. Now one question I wonder is if Pods still has a Centerfielder state of mind after playing center in Milwaukee 2 years ago. The score also mentioned that there appeared to be some tension between Rob and Pods in the outfield, does anyone else think its time for the sox to explore other lead off possibilities and part ways with Pods, Fields and Sweeney look ready so if theres an open spot in the outfield one of the two could fill it or the sox could go with Juan Pierre, but being logical I doubt a deal between the cubs and sox is gonna happen

your thoughts....

(btw I don't mean any of this to happen in the first two weeks before the deadline, although it is a thought)
http://home.wtal.de/homer/home/ho_smile.gif
"Probably misses his old Rowand."

monkeypants
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
http://home.wtal.de/homer/home/ho_smile.gif
"Probably misses his old Rowand."
Thank you for referencing my favorite piece of Homer dialogue.

jenn2080
07-21-2006, 01:20 PM
I would also like to add that I'm sick of the ladies in my section clammering for their cameras everytime he bends over in Left... I think they should make his wife sit out there, so us guys have something to take pictures of when our wives are done with the camera...

you and me both. i noticed it more when i sat on a monday night game a row above the bullpen. Between him and AJ it got to be a bit much

MadetoOrta
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Chone Figgins and Scott Shields for Pods, Javy or Freddie and a prospect other than Fields or Sweeney.

Any takers?

slobes
07-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately Pods has been off in the outfield all year, it seems like. To me, the most outfield tension comes when Mack is in ceneterfield. So may times this year has there nearly been a collision between either LF and CF or RF and CF on what appears to be an easy fly ball.

southside rocks
07-21-2006, 02:02 PM
you and me both. i noticed it more when i sat on a monday night game a row above the bullpen. Between him and AJ it got to be a bit much

Hey, give us a break, we're at the mercy of our hormones! :D:

I think Crede is much cuter than Pods, myself... Anderson is drop-dead gorgeous, and AJ is just such a cool guy that he's cute too. I sent AJ a newspaper article about him that has a nice photo of him, and he autographed it and sent it back. I'm having it framed. :tongue:

TheOldRoman
07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Soriano is the answer, he's equaly as bad as Pods in the out field and is about 14 times the offensive threat, not to mention a great lead off hitter. Of course I'd rather have Crawford.
No way in hell. Soriano is having a career year, and his OBP is still .353. His career OBP is .324.
Scotty's OBP is .349 this year, and his career is .346. He takes walks more than Soriano. While Scotty has been horrible lately, I would still rather have him than Soriano. Besides, Soriano is the prize aquisition now, and some team is going to make a ridiculous trade and give up way to much to get him. It doesn't need to be the Sox.

Oh, and if you think Pods is bad in left field, he looks like a gold glover compared to Soriano.

twsoxfan5
07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I think the reason they are having problems in the field is b/c Pods and Dye do not seem to respect Anderson. I always thought that the centerfielder was the leader of the outfield and if he could get to a ball reasonably then it was his ball. There have been more than a few times where I have seen Anderson calling for a ball in right center and then watching Dye ignore him and they almost run into each other. Anderson deserves more respect in the field than he is getting.

southside rocks
07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
I think the reason they are having problems in the field is b/c Pods and Dye do not seem to respect Anderson. I always thought that the centerfielder was the leader of the outfield and if he could get to a ball reasonably then it was his ball. There have been more than a few times where I have seen Anderson calling for a ball in right center and then watching Dye ignore him and they almost run into each other. Anderson deserves more respect in the field than he is getting.

I think you're right.

Dye: 4 errors this year, 187 putouts in 84 games
Pods: 6 errors this year, 159 putouts in 85 games.
BA: 0 errors this year, 187 putouts in 73 games

Anderson most definitely deserves more respect in the field than he is getting. What's going on there?

Sargeant79
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I've been a big fan of Carl Crawford for some time now. In this thread's spirit of completely unrealistic hometown-favored trade speculation, how about Pods and a prospect or two other than Fields for Crawford? You'd have an upgrade at the top of the order, and even if Sweeney is a part of the trade, you can sign Dye to an extension, giving the Sox an outfield of Crawford, Anderson, and Dye for the next several years. I'd be on board for that.

samram
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
I've been a big fan of Carl Crawford for some time now. In this thread's spirit of completely unrealistic hometown-favored trade speculation, how about Pods and a prospect or two other than Fields for Crawford? You'd have an upgrade at the top of the order, and even if Sweeney is a part of the trade, you can sign Dye to an extension, giving the Sox an outfield of Crawford, Anderson, and Dye for the next several years. I'd be on board for that.

Well, you got the unrealistic part right.:D:

pagansoxfan
07-21-2006, 03:26 PM
i normalkly don't respond to trade threads, but i've been thinking this over for awhile. as much as i like pods, trading him for crawford would be a great move. i'll taKe it a step further, although i doubt tampa would do this. pods and garcia for crawford and kazmir.

Tekijawa
07-21-2006, 03:30 PM
i normalkly don't respond to trade threads, but i've been thinking this over for awhile. as much as i like pods, trading him for crawford would be a great move. i'll taKe it a step further, although i doubt tampa would do this. pods and garcia for crawford and kazmir.
I don't know they'd probably have to throw in Upton and Cash to make that trade fair!

dickallen15
07-21-2006, 04:21 PM
No way in hell. Soriano is having a career year, and his OBP is still .353. His career OBP is .324.
Scotty's OBP is .349 this year, and his career is .346. He takes walks more than Soriano. While Scotty has been horrible lately, I would still rather have him than Soriano. Besides, Soriano is the prize aquisition now, and some team is going to make a ridiculous trade and give up way to much to get him. It doesn't need to be the Sox.

Oh, and if you think Pods is bad in left field, he looks like a gold glover compared to Soriano.

Soriano at least has an arm out in LF.

miker
07-21-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm just shocked there is interesting conversation on The Score!

MDF3530
07-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I think you're right.

Dye: 4 errors this year, 187 putouts in 84 games
Pods: 6 errors this year, 159 putouts in 85 games.
BA: 0 errors this year, 187 putouts in 73 games

Anderson most definitely deserves more respect in the field than he is getting. What's going on there?The problem is the Aaron Rowand Fan Club. I liked seeing him diving for the ball and crashing into the wall too, but the reason why he did that is because he got bad initial reads off the bat and had to go all out to make up for it.

PaulDrake
07-21-2006, 07:46 PM

Oh, and if you think Pods is bad in left field, he looks like a gold glover compared to Soriano. I'm glad you posted this. I couldn't agree more, other than to say he was also a lousy 2B man.