PDA

View Full Version : Improvement from first 1/2

ChiSoxFan7
07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
I was thinking about what needs to improve the most for the whitesox to win their division. Because as bad as the starting pitching has been recently, I am still confident that we will ATLEAST win the wild card over the yankees/redsox this year. But I am very greedy and spoiled (see last year), and I want to win the Division. So asking everyone's expert opinion, what do you think needs to be improved from the second half.

I think there is 2.

1) Pods and Iguchi need to set the table like they always have( I couldn't even imagine what 3-4-5 would be like then)

and

2) Buerhle needs to get it together. Last year he was a number one who pitched six no questions asked, now it's...you all saw the yankee game....

here's to a division win :gulp:

07-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Unless it is a situation where he has to hit a HR, I would like to see Thome take advantage of the "shift" more and poke a hit out to left when they give it to him....I know we pay him for the big blasts and RBI's, but if they are giving you the hit, take it when we need base runners, especially with Paulie and JD behind you

FedEx227
07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Well don't look now, but the Blue Jays and Twins are also on rolls, it's no longer just the Yankees we're battling for the Wild-Card.

cbrownson13
07-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Unless it is a situation where he has to hit a HR, I would like to see Thome take advantage of the "shift" more and poke a hit out to left when they give it to him....I know we pay him for the big blasts and RBI's, but if they are giving you the hit, take it when we need base runners, especially with Paulie and JD behind you

I actually like seeing that too. However, sometimes it seems him just getting on base is not a good thing for the Sox. Watching him run is kind of like watching a three-legged dog. He clogs up the basepaths big time!

sox230
07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
3 Major Things to Improve on:

1) Pods and Iguchi-see first post

2)Play the White Sox kind of baseball we all know and love. When players came to the ballpark last year, most of the time, they knew who was going to play where, where they would be in the lineup, bullpen pitchers would know their roles etc. we had a "brand of baseball" that we kept to, which constanly produced wins. I do not really think we have a "brand of baseball" this year. We are not a team anymore that goes for those 3-4 runs anyway we can get them and then shut them down with the starter, followed by the assigned roles in the bullpen. I think part of that is Ozzie's fault, with his "good" lefty lineup with Ozuna and Widger, and part is the players fault, by not performing well enough to let Ozzie settle them into various roles.

3)Buerhle, Garcia, and Vazquez--have goals set out for all three of them--this is mostly Coop, and KW should have plans in hand of what to do in case one or more of these guys continues to not perform.

I think we are capable of coming back, but the Tigers game yesterday, with putting pressure on our defense with aggressiveness, and having those fixed roles in the bullpen day in and day out, reminded me a lot of the Sox of last year, just with a lot less talent.

Hitmen77
07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
One way to improve the team: PLAY BRIAN ANDERSON EVERY DAY!

He turned the corner offensively on June 11, is currently one of our hottest hitters, and his defense can help shore up a troubled pitching staff.

(of course, when I mean "every day", I do realize he needs off days like the other starters. I just think we should stop benching him every 3rd game.)

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
A lot depends on Ozzie...is he going to force the action like last season or is he going to sit back and wait for the three run home run which has happened far to often this season.

I know...Ozzie can't get the bunt down, be a smart baserunner or hit the other way but Ozzie can make bunting practice mandatory as well as saying 'your first ten (or fifteen) swings in the cage, you go the other way...'

If a player doesn't like it or can't do the job....then you sit.

Ozzie needs to step in and say 'we aren't losing anymore games because you (whomever) can't get a guy over with less then two outs, or you can't get a sacrifice fly to get the guy home. That's over and done starting right now.'

We'll see.

Lip

INSox56
07-21-2006, 12:35 PM
A lot depends on Ozzie...is he going to force the action like last season or is he going to sit back and wait for the three run home run which has happened far to often this season.

I know...Ozzie can't get the bunt down, be a smart baserunner or hit the other way but Ozzie can make bunting practice mandatory as well as saying 'your first ten (or fifteen) swings in the cage, you go the other way...'

If a player doesn't like it or can't do the job....then you sit.

Ozzie needs to step in and say 'we aren't losing anymore games because you (whomever) can't get a guy over with less then two outs, or you can't get a sacrifice fly to get the guy home. That's over and done starting right now.'

We'll see.

Lip

Good points...I also think it hinges on Ozzie and his decisions. We need to keep starting the normal people regularly, get them into a rhythem. Most of all I hope that behind the scenes, he's doing the exact OPPOSITE that he's doing with the media. After every loss or horrible game we've played, he's shown no fire...nothing. Just "oh well, we didn't do this we didn't do that"....that's not the Ozzie we need in there just "dealing with it". We need a proactive Ozzie setting things straight with harsh language and criticizms. Gotta go back to telling the harsh truth, sitting guys, and letting them deal with it. And if they can't, sit em...plain and simple. Lack of smart baseball and letting it continuously happen is getting unacceptable. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes though.

miker
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Good points...I also think it hinges on Ozzie and his decisions. We need to keep starting the normal people regularly, get them into a rhythem. Most of all I hope that behind the scenes, he's doing the exact OPPOSITE that he's doing with the media. After every loss or horrible game we've played, he's shown no fire...nothing. Just "oh well, we didn't do this we didn't do that"....that's not the Ozzie we need in there just "dealing with it". We need a proactive Ozzie setting things straight with harsh language and criticizms. Gotta go back to telling the harsh truth, sitting guys, and letting them deal with it. And if they can't, sit em...plain and simple. Lack of smart baseball and letting it continuously happen is getting unacceptable. Who knows what's going on behind the scenes though.
I like your point, but let me counter: My hope is that Ozzie, like he has in the past, is only getting on guys when they truly deserve it. The "Larry Bowa scream at everyone and throw things" type of manager has a history of falling completely flat with a talented veteran team. I don't feel these White Sox would unwind completely if Ozzie turned Bobby Knight on them, but I don't think it would be the miracle cure that turns the Sox around.

It looks like he's just going to be cool and (hopefully) that cool will inspire the team through this slump.

And if someone really screws up, I think Ozzie will let that player know he screwed up.

ChiSoxFan7
07-22-2006, 01:46 PM
And if someone really screws up, I think Ozzie will let that player know he screwed up.
and how many times did we see this happen: even if the guy is on the other team(i.e. hill after the barret, monroe etc etc...._:rolling: