PDA

View Full Version : Too much reliance on 3,4,5???

SpartanSoxFan
07-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Hey guys,

I know there has been outcry over the pitching staff as of late. I think the staff is good and they will work themselves out of the rough start. The past 3 games I think has shown they are turning the corner. Honestly, I think our biggest problem is reliance on the 3,4,5 hitters. When we get behind, it seems like everyone waits for Jim, Paulie, or Jermaine to jack a 6-run dinger. Even though they may never admit it, I think by getting Jim and with the great year the 3,4,5s have been having, the Sox have changed their mental approach to the offense. Last year, it was timely, situational hitting that got the job done. I think if we get back to this approach, doing the little things, we will get hot again. Do the little things...move the runner over from first, steal a few bases, and the HRs will eventually come. If you guys remember, it was guys at the top of the order causing havoc on the basebaths that allowed Paulie to tee off on the opposing starters last year. This should be Ozzie's number one priority for the next 2 months of the season. Set the table, and everything else will fall into place.

Oh, until we are mathematically eliminated from ANY playoff spot, be it the wild card or division championship, NO ONE should be on the ledge. Last time I checked, if the playoffs started today, we would be in. :gulp:

GO SOX!!!!

SoxSpeed22
07-21-2006, 12:01 AM
There is a disturbing pattern. In most of the games, one section of the lineup is dead weight. Today it was the top. This team does depend far too much on the longball because of one part of the lineup not getting it done, all 9 guys have to get it done in order for Ozzieball to work.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-21-2006, 12:12 AM
I think most teams rely heavily on their 3, 4 and 5 hitters. That is why they are batting in those positions. That being said, I agree that we need to manufacture some runs...like the good old days (last season).

QCIASOXFAN
07-21-2006, 12:23 AM
I see to many players in our lineup trying to copy off Thome and go deep, especially lately. The thing we did so good last year was get him on, get him over, and get him in. One thing that we suck at which is abundantly obvious is bunting. I don't understand what happened to Gooch, Pablo and especially Pods when it comes to laying one down. It seems that after they screw the pooch not laying down the bunt to move the runner over, the next batter tries to do "to much" as Hawk would say. It seems like the next batter is always trying to make up for this mistake by swinging for the fences. Which leads to our current problems.

MadetoOrta
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
We need the 1 & 2 guys to set the table and that hasn't happened either.

Blueprint1
07-21-2006, 04:07 PM
He is right about the 1 and 2 they do need to set the table better. Although, I am pretty sure every team in the league depends on their 3,4,5 hitters to drive in most of the runs.