PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR/Speculation: Lowell to Padres?

Mr. White Sox
07-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Just heard this on Baseball Tonight courtesy of ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney.

Who would the Pads send back...Linebrink + ???

Certainly not Peavy as Jeff Brantley stated.

Brian26
07-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Would Youkilis move back to 3rd?

JB98
07-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Would Youkilis move back to 3rd?

That would certainly weaken Boston's defense. Lowell is solid with the glove.

QCIASOXFAN
07-20-2006, 11:08 PM
I wonder why its Lowell? He doesn't suck anymore and is having an awesome year.

JB98
07-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I wonder why its Lowell? He doesn't suck anymore and is having an awesome year.

I can't imagine Boston moving Lowell unless it was getting starting pitching in return. To me, that's the Red Sox weakness. Schilling is reliable. Lester is throwing well, but is unproven in the postseason. Beckett, for all his hype, doesn't scare me.

bluestar
07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Just heard this on Baseball Tonight courtesy of ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney.

Who would the Pads send back...Linebrink + ???

Certainly not Peavy as Jeff Brantley stated.

Don't the Red Sox need a lefty in the bullpen? Maybe they want Alan Embree back.

Domeshot17
07-20-2006, 11:37 PM
maybe a woody williams or adam eaton type.

y2j2785
07-21-2006, 12:53 AM
I remember hearing that the Red Sox were interested in Ryan Klesko but I think hes still on the disabled list. I dont see the Padres giving them Alan Embree as hes their only Lefty in the bullpen. I would guess either Linebrink or Adkins would be available.

gbergman
07-21-2006, 12:57 AM
That would be dumb for the Red Sox, but great for the Padres. Lowell would replace an old vinny castilla, greatly improving the padres offense and d. Although with petco being a pitchers park his numbers would be a little lower.

Huisj
07-21-2006, 01:00 AM
maybe a woody williams or adam eaton type.

I think Eaton went to Texas before the season and then got hurt right away.

y2j2785
07-21-2006, 01:04 AM
I think Eaton went to Texas before the season and then got hurt right away.

I believe thats right. Their rotation now is I think Peavy, Young, Park, Williams, and Mike Thomson.

buehrle4cy05
07-21-2006, 01:12 AM
I'd welcome that move by the Red Sox. If you look at their lineup, after David Ortiz, the only one who really scares you is Mike Lowell. Trot Nixon is hitting around .300, but he has very little power. Varitek is having a down year at the plate, and guys like Gonzalez and Crisp are decent. Lowell is the only true power threat past #4 in their order, plus he plays good defense. By losing Lowell, the Red Sox would create another weak spot at the back of their order and have a defensive liability at third (Youkilis has played there before, but not this year).

cbrownson13
07-21-2006, 02:10 AM
I'd welcome that move by the Red Sox. If you look at their lineup, after David Ortiz, the only one who really scares you is Mike Lowell. Trot Nixon is hitting around .300, but he has very little power. Varitek is having a down year at the plate, and guys like Gonzalez and Crisp are decent. Lowell is the only true power threat past #4 in their order, plus he plays good defense. By losing Lowell, the Red Sox would create another weak spot at the back of their order and have a defensive liability at third (Youkilis has played there before, but not this year).

And Manny Ramirez, of course.

07-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Buster also broke the Schimdt to the Sox rumor, I don't buy it, it doesn't make sense

Jjav829
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Buster also broke the Schimdt to the Sox rumor, I don't buy it, it doesn't make sense
Actually, it does makes sense. The Red Sox have a good offense. Losing Lowell won't kill them. And new rumors have this being handcuffed to a deal for a first baseman. Ryan Shealy's name came up in the papers today.

Their weakness is the depth of their starting rotation. After Schilling, Beckett and Lester, they don't have much right now. Wakefield just joined Clement and Wells on the DL.

My guess is that Woody Williams would be involved in the deal.

BTW, for whoever said Youkilis hasn't played 3B this year, that's actually wrong. He has started 6 games there and appeared in 11.

buehrle4cy05
07-21-2006, 11:54 AM
And Manny Ramirez, of course.

Oops, forgot that Ortiz bats third, and Ramirez 4th.:redface: So switch out "Ortiz" and replace with "Ramirez" in that post.

Fenway
07-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Theo on WEEI this morning said that is the most of the wall rumor he has heard since he became GM in 2003. He said if he did that he would expect Larry to fire me.

so maybe there is something to it :tongue:

getonbckthr
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
If there is truth to the rumor the Cubs should try to send Ramirez to Boston.

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-22-2006, 12:36 AM
I read on YahooSports that the Padres were interested in Shea Hillenbrand. That makes more sense to me than Lowell.

soxwon
07-22-2006, 02:20 AM
What are we gonna do?
Becausa we have to do something big!!!!

BadBobbyJenks
07-22-2006, 02:59 AM
The pads aquired shea hillenbrand tonight, so thats a bogus rumor

Mr. White Sox
07-22-2006, 03:45 AM
The pads aquired shea hillenbrand tonight, so thats a bogus rumor
Incorrect. The Giants acquired Hillenbrand for Jeremy Accardo.

Even if the Pads hypothetically picked up Hillenbrand, maybe they were thinking of a possible trade to get Lowell but saw Hillenbrand as a much easier target.

BadBobbyJenks
07-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Ah, I thought I read it was the padres but you are right it was the giants