PDA

View Full Version : Who gets Crabby after loses?

soxwon
07-20-2006, 07:11 PM
My wife fears loses and extended periods of bad play.
BECAUSE
I get crabby, not talkative, nonresponsive.

Lately this has been my frame of mind.
I hate to lose, and hate when the sox lose.

Im sure others get this way!!!
am i the only one?
right now im very crabby, todays loss simply put me over.

Dat Funky Motion
07-20-2006, 07:13 PM
My wife also states that I am a crab, when they lose. The funny thing is that she is starting to be just like me.

rowand33
07-20-2006, 07:14 PM
oh I hear ya. I went to the gym for a WHILE right after the game, just letting all the anger out.

Last year in September, I vividly remember one night when I was going to go out drinking with my friends and was really pumped for the night, then we lost in the late innings and I was not much fun that night until I was good and drunk.

It's not loses that piss me off, it's losing like the way we did today.

TheOldRoman
07-20-2006, 07:21 PM
My girlfriend and I go to games together all the time. She hates when we are losing, because I am not fun to be around. I am angry, and I "have a pouty look on my face".:rolleyes:
Anyway, I am a grump to be around when the Sox are losing.

ChiSoxLifer
07-20-2006, 07:24 PM
I've always been crabby after losses. With the success the team has had, I almost always expect a win. Despite there being more victories and far fewer losses (except recently), my crabbiness has gotten more intense.

cleanwsox
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Absolutely, cloud nine during winning streaks and an absolute grouch during losing streaks like this one. At least we have :gulp: to numb the pain a bit.

Work production was at an all time low after today's game due to the grouchiness. :(:

Chips
07-20-2006, 07:28 PM
I can't say I'm happy after a loss, but I'm definetly not crabby.
I am a ray of sunshine. I understand we are going to lose some games and go through rough patches throughout the season, but I don't get all pissed off and **** after a loss. I move on.

Grzegorz
07-20-2006, 07:32 PM

Well said, being crabby is a distraction in a world where being distracted can cost a person everything.

MadetoOrta
07-20-2006, 07:41 PM
I used to be REAL crabby before last October 25th. Now, I remind myself that I spent much of October 2005 begging God for the opportunity to see the Sox win the World Series "just once in my lifetime! I'm not greedy! Please?" Be careful what you wish for ... It aint life and death. My children saw their beloved Sox win the WS, the team is being run by guys [KW and Ozzie] whose passion for the Sox matches ours, an owner whose putting it on the line financially, and a fanbase that's still on cloud 9. I'm happy. Let's start a 15 out of 16 roll tomorrow!

PaulDrake
07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm grouchy when they lose and doubly so when I see so many here want to tell you what you can and can't post. As a matter of fact I'm grouchy as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. Widger is not a Major League catcher. I feel a little better now.

tebman
07-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I take losses hard if the Sox look bad in the game. If it's a well-played game and the other team simply did more of the right things, then I can deal with it. But not when it appears they've rolled over: missed plays, runners left on base, too many walks, etc.

It gets me personally because in my mind I see images of taunting Yankee fans, Cub fans, and ESPN gasbags laughing at me. I know it's a only a game, it's a long season, and the sun will come up tomorrow, but they still get to me. I think I've internalized nearly 50 years of brushoffs by the rest of MLB, and it all comes back when the Sox lose in an embarrassing way.

Then I get into a full lotus position and think about last October...ommmm...ommmm...:peace:

MarySwiss
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I'm pissed off for about five or ten minutes, then I pull myself together and remember that MY TEAM won the World Series last year and that I'm expecting them to do it again this year. I am SOxsessed to the point that some of my friends and relatives have commented on my relentless happiness. (I suspect they are jealous.)

Since last October, I have been on an extended high, and I fully intend to remain there.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 08:11 PM
In the past I've been very angry. There are a lot of doors and lamps around the house that have had to be fixed / replaced.

I have a bad temper and am an emotional guy. Because of a recent surgery I've had to back off for health reasons which is probably a good thing because after the past day and a half normally there would be major damage around the house.

Lip

soxinem1
My wife also states that I am a crab, when they lose. The funny thing is that she is starting to be just like me.

Sounds like we all live in the same house!!!

HawkDJ
After a loss, I hate it when my dad says something to me about how bad of a game it was. I'm the type that does not want to say a word about it and would prefer to pretend it didn't happen. After about a half hour, I'm ok and I'll talk about what happened.

TheOldRoman
07-20-2006, 08:21 PM
In the past I've been very angry. There are a lot of doors and lamps around the house that have had to be fixed / replaced.

I have a bad temper and am an emotional guy. Because of a recent surgery I've had to back off for health reasons which is probably a good thing because after the past day and a half normally there would be major damage around the house.

Lip I have a bad temper, also. The only thing I do is squeeze my mousepad gel wrist-rest REALLY hard.

But it is a good thing I keep my bats in the garage. I want to smash things sometimes.:D:

Chisox1500
07-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I am a lot like Lip. There are still dents in a closet door at my Dad's house from a bad series with the Indians in 1995.

soxwon
07-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm pissed off for about five or ten minutes, then I pull myself together and remember that MY TEAM won the World Series last year and that I'm expecting them to do it again this year. I am SOxsessed to the point that some of my friends and relatives have commented on my relentless happiness. (I suspect they are jealous.)

Since last October, I have been on an extended high, and I fully intend to remain there.

your lucky
i still cant believe we won the series last year
but that was last year
one series is not enough for me
i want to win 3 or 4 in a row
im going to require therapy!!!

PaulDrake
07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
your lucky
i still cant believe we won the series last year
but that was last year
one series is not enough for me
i want to win 3 or 4 in a row
im going to require therapy!!! I was in 4th grade when the Sox lost to the Dodgers in 1959. I was a disappointed little kid, but pretty sure they'd be regular participants in the Fall Classic. Obviously it was not to be, so I guess I'm just like you. Once is definitely not enough.

jdm2662
07-20-2006, 08:49 PM
I'll yell during the game, probably make a comment afterwards, but I usually don't get emotionally attached. I'm much worse during Bears games. When the game ends, its business as usual for me. Sports are entertainment, and it's not something you can control. I haven't thrown anything in many years. I pay too much money for my place. I'd like to not pay more to replace stuff...

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Roman:

Unfortunately I have smashed things, doors, people and so forth. I take it very seriously and at times it was more seriously then the people who were actually getting paid to play (but couldn't have cared less...)

The best I ever went off though was when the Bears blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead and lost to Houston in 1989...I made Ditka look like he was on sedatives.

Lip

Johnny Mostil
07-20-2006, 08:53 PM
I am a ray of sunshine. I understand we are going to lose some games and go through rough patches throughout the season, but I don't get all pissed off and **** after a loss. I move on.

I was going to ask who on these boards doesn't get crabby after a loss until I saw this post. You're a model for us, Chips . . .

JB98
07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
I have a bad temper, also. The only thing I do is squeeze my mousepad gel wrist-rest REALLY hard.

But it is a good thing I keep my bats in the garage. I want to smash things sometimes.:D:

I have a White Sox stress ball. The cover is completely torn off it. I'm way too intense of a competitor. I was that way when I was playing as a kid. Not much has changed now that I'm just a fan.

I hate losing more than anything else in the world. Just hate losing.

TheOldRoman
07-20-2006, 09:01 PM
I have a White Sox stress ball. The cover is completely torn off it. I'm way too intense of a competitor. I was that way when I was playing as a kid. Not much has changed now that I'm just a fan.

I hate losing more than anything else in the world. Just hate losing.
After I make my millions I plan on putting a batting cage in the basement. Nothing gets out agression like smashing the ball.

NoShoesJoe
07-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds like we all live in the same house!!!

Same thing here too. This past week, I've tried to make a more concerted attempt to put it out of my mind, but my wife knows that I'm masking it. I especially hate losing to AL East teams (read NY & Boston), but losing the series to Detroit, I've found that it's just as bad. I know they're a good team, but it wasn't too long ago that they had 117 losses.

jdm2662
07-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Roman:

Unfortunately I have smashed things, doors, people and so forth. I take it very seriously and at times it was more seriously then the people who were actually getting paid to play (but couldn't have cared less...)

The best I ever went off though was when the Bears blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead and lost to Houston in 1989...I made Ditka look like he was on sedatives.

Lip

Speaking of that game Lip, remember when the Houston dumb ass pretended to be hurt only to come back a play later? Do you happen to remember what I'm talking about? It's been a long time.

I was the worst during the Wanny days. I was also in college at the time. No yelling from my mom for being loud, and I slammed more things. God bless crappy college dorms.

Jerko
07-20-2006, 09:09 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm the biggest sore loser in the world. However, I don't really get mad after a loss. DURING the game is another story though. I get mad sometimes when something good happens. Sox hit a 2 run homer, well, in my mind, it should have been a 3 run homer. Sox turn a double play, well, that first guy should have never been on anyway. When the game ends though, I just forget about it and basically ignore baseball for the rest of that day/night.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-20-2006, 09:10 PM
I too get pissed off when they lose.

Timmy D's
07-20-2006, 09:13 PM
My kids would all tell you, I'm not nearly as fun on the drive home after a loss as a win. In fact sometimes the trips home are just silent. I see how they sprint out of the car when we pull in the driveway to get away from me. Damn free loaders!!:angry: To make it even worse, Peg Bundy here doesnt even have food or beer in the fridge for me.:whiner:

INSox56
07-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I have to put my pet parrot in the other end of the house because I yell and bang on things when we're playing like godawful pieces of garbage. And yes, I'm a HUGE pissy mess of a...butthead for lack of a non-vulgar word...after bad losses when we play like crap. Hard fought games aren't that bad.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 09:23 PM
No Shoes:

Of course that Tiger team beat the Sox nine friggin' times which cost them the division. :angry:

Lip

JB98
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm the biggest sore loser in the world. However, I don't really get mad after a loss. DURING the game is another story though. I get mad sometimes when something good happens. Sox hit a 2 run homer, well, in my mind, it should have been a 3 run homer. Sox turn a double play, well, that first guy should have never been on anyway. When the game ends though, I just forget about it and basically ignore baseball for the rest of that day/night.

You're the biggest sore loser in the world?

"Let's see you dance, sucker, you got nuthin' on me!" :)

ND_Sox_Fan
07-20-2006, 09:25 PM
I expect to win every game that I play or that the Sox play.

Losing is the thing I hate most on this planet, so to say I get crabby might be an understatement.

Dan Mega
07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
I don't get crabby, just quiet.

mccoydp
07-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't get upset any longer.

I used to, for years, before the 2005 World Championship win.

Since then, I realize that there is nothing I can do to change whether they win or lose. I just go with what happens and hope for the best in the next game.

If the Sox are stinking up a game, I just turn it off and come back later.

I expended so much energy toward the Sox last year that I was a nervous wreck for the whole season, until the last out in Houston. I won't do that again.

I'm thankful that I followed trhe Sox every game last year, and it culminated in one world championship in my lifetime. I'm content. :D:

credefan24
07-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I get a little crabby if it's a game they should have won, sort of like today. But that only lasts for about an hour. Hey, I can't control whether they win or lose, but as fans, we all get emotionally involved.
How exhausted was everyone after last October? I guess it's part of being a fan.
But lately, I don't let losses bother me too much, just gotta move on.

Viva Medias B's
07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
I get crabby and frustrated after losses, but I admit that the level of that now is less than it was before 10/26/05.

100 Year Itch
07-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Crabby after losses? What stupid ****ing idiot asked that imbicilic question? Seriously, what kind of low life, ****ing moron gets ****ing crabby after ****ing losses? You people are all ****ing stupid pieces of ****. Dumb mother****ers asking dumb ****ing question. **** YOU!

Deebs14
07-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Even though I've gotten better as of late, I still have a tendency to get pissy after loses...especially when it comes to games in which they had plenty of opportunities to win.

DumpJerry
07-20-2006, 10:12 PM
After we lost the third game of the season to the Tribe in a game where we blew plenty of opportunities (sound familiar?), it was well over an hour before it was safe to talk to me.

I still get pretty darn steamed after a close loss or a blow out that could have been easily avoided.

ws05champs
07-20-2006, 10:41 PM
My wife and I both get crabby after a loss. We really have to watch ourselves. The biggest fight we have had in our 20 years of marriage happened when the Sox lost to the Cubs one year. We have really gotten better since last October. No matter how much the Sox loose we just remember that they won the World Series in our lifetime.

winning ugly 72
07-20-2006, 10:46 PM
i said after they won it all last year that nothing with the sox losing wouldn't bother me but lately i have not been the best person to be around after a sox loss

WSox8404
07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
I get pretty pissed off. I have a bad temper, and I will punch some stuff and throw some stuff. I never do anything so bad so I would actually break anything, but I get mighty mad. Until they win again. Then I am all smiles.....:smile: :smile: :smile: .

Brian26
07-20-2006, 11:24 PM

Lip

Wasn't there a thread once about the most valuable thing people have destroyed after a tough Sox loss? :D: I know remote controls are commonly smashed against the wall, but someone mentioned that they had ripped a door off its hinges (LOL).

gbergman
07-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Yes, i HATE losing! If i played pro ball after the first loss of the season even if we were 20-1 i would want to hold a team meeting on how we can get thinggs turned around and not continue to lose like that. Losing makes me want to beat a water cooler

Chips
07-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Wasn't there a thread once about the most valuable thing people have destroyed after a tough Sox loss? :D: I know remote controls are commonly smashed against the wall, but someone mentioned that they had ripped a door off its hinges (LOL).

Wow, some people are nuts.

QCIASOXFAN
07-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Wasn't there a thread once about the most valuable thing people have destroyed after a tough Sox loss? :D: I know remote controls are commonly smashed against the wall, but someone mentioned that they had ripped a door off its hinges (LOL). I smashed the **** out of a remote 2 years ago on opening day when the Royals came back and beat us. That was an awful game:angry: . I think I got so pissed because it was opening day and I was so excited and we had the lead and our pen (Marte) coughed it up like that. Sorry to bring back this dark cloud memory.

Dick Allen
07-21-2006, 12:59 AM
I've almost been taken to divorce court a number of times after Sox losses, especially like the ones they've been losing lately. I thought I would be better after the WS last year, but I think I've actually gotten a bit worse - higher expectations, etc.

LongLiveFisk
07-21-2006, 07:36 AM
I'm always crabby after a Sox loss. It's not like you expect them to go 162-0 but after every loss it's always "if only" this or that. Some losses are a lot harder to take than others though.

itsnotrequired
07-21-2006, 07:44 AM
I get a little annoyed but if everything else is going well in my life, it isn't a big deal. If I'm already stressed out, down in the dumps, etc., a string of loses is often the straw that breaks the camel's back.

DaveIsHere
07-21-2006, 07:59 AM
I get very cranky, especially if they play like crap like the past 2 weeks. I am so looking forward to my vacation next week just to get away from the Sox sinc ethe time difference will be 5 hours. I hope to come back with a new outlook on the Sox and a 1st place team on a tear. *crosses fingers*

twsoxfan5
07-21-2006, 08:12 AM
I try to not let the losses bother me, but they always do. I am usually angry for the first 10 minutes or so after a loss. And then for the rest of the day I feel like I am subconsciously angry. I sometimes even ask myself why am I angry again and then I am like oh yeah the Sox lost. I sometimes even hang onto it a bit until they win again.

07-21-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm taking the loses much better this year then last year, and it's because I got the WS monkey off my back...yesterdays loss though I got visions of last September....now I never ripped the door off the hinges, but I did slam one so hard, it cracked last year when the Sox blew a 5 run 9th inning lead to the Royals...I threw a pillow at a fan and it broke when Freddy lost the 1 hitter....this year, no damage, no sleepless nights, I get pissed for about 30 min, then I'm over it. If we didn't win the WS last year, I think, in fact know, that I'd be a lot more pissed.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-21-2006, 08:41 AM
I get more pissed off when it's boneheaded play that causes us to lose.

When we lost 1-0 to the Twins with Freddy on the mound, I was in such a good mood because it was such a greating pitching duel. When we lose 2-1 yesterday to the Tigers over what I feel it lackluster play, I get pissed.

Then I fire up NCAA football for the Xbox and make my running back gain 300 yards by punishing the defense.

MM2112
07-21-2006, 09:21 AM
when the Sox lose, it pretty much ruins my day...and I hate it, I keep trying to tell myself that I shouldnt take it so seriously, but I do.

I cant watch them on TV usually because I get mad if they start losing or if I tune in during a bad situation (runners on, 1 out, Neal Cotts in)...I wish I could get over it, because we did win the WS, and it was the greatest experience ever

Baby Fisk
07-21-2006, 09:25 AM
I get more quiet/intense after a loss. Lots of brooding. However, the drinking remains about the same, win, lose or off day. :gulp:

07-21-2006, 09:38 AM
I get more quiet/intense after a loss. Lots of brooding. However, the drinking remains about the same, win, lose or off day. :gulp:

And I see you are from Toronto...it always make me think of that movie Big Daddy...."C'mon baby, we were in Toronto, it was the World Series, Joe Carter, you know the beer up there, it's like moonshine!"

viagracat
07-21-2006, 09:42 AM
I get annoyed when the Sox don't play up to their potential and lose, but I don't usually get real upset. However, last Friday, I lost it (which I almost never do) on the called ball from Contreras to Posada. I was with a good friend who is an Oklahoma native and big Yankee fan. We ended up in a heated shouting match. Over a pitch. :rolleyes: We settled down and watched the rest of the game, and no harm done. I take the Sox very seriously, but I'm usually pretty good about moving on. There's still plenty of hope this year, and I can certainly remember the days when the Sox were a team where hope went to die.

:gulp:

Luke
07-21-2006, 09:58 AM
I definately get crabby after a loss, and will pout after a *bad* loss. I get like that for football though not as bad as for the Sox...probably because I have all week to brace for a Bears let down.

twsoxfan5
07-21-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm taking the loses much better this year then last year, and it's because I got the WS monkey off my back...yesterdays loss though I got visions of last September....now I never ripped the door off the hinges, but I did slam one so hard, it cracked last year when the Sox blew a 5 run 9th inning lead to the Royals...I threw a pillow at a fan and it broke when Freddy lost the 1 hitter....this year, no damage, no sleepless nights, I get pissed for about 30 min, then I'm over it. If we didn't win the WS last year, I think, in fact know, that I'd be a lot more pissed.

I smashed the remote off the wall after that loss to the Royals:angry:

Beer Can Chicken
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
I just go to Crabby Kims.

SoxFan78
07-21-2006, 10:29 AM
I do get a little down after bad sox losses. After a loss vs. a good team (Bos, NYY, Det) I can't even watch anything on ESPN. I don't want to hear the mediots proclaim how the Sox are done and everybody else is better.

JermaineDye05
07-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I hate losing unlike the cub fans who will throw trash on the field after they lose I throw my trash at cub fans when we lose:bandance:

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Brian:

I don't know if you're talking about me or not. I've never ripped a door off its hinges but I have smashed holes in doors many times (fortunately I've never forgotten which ones are solid and which ones are hollow core!)

Lip

Bill Naharodny
07-21-2006, 03:11 PM
What a great thread. This is like group therapy.

Oh yeah, I get mighty upset. Then sometimes I even get upset over getting upset. It's all very post-modern.

It's swearing, mostly. I can really come up with some great names when I'm "in the zone" with the language.

SheGone
07-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I definitely get crabby when the white sox lose. This week has been particuarly bad because I know we could be playing a lot better. However, I usually get over it after an hour or so post-game.

My boyfriend is another story entirely... ever since last October he has been eating, drinking, sleeping white sox. So naturally, when the white sox are playing like crap he gets downright angry. There's no point in talking to him after a loss because he is either angrily exclaming everything the sox should/shouldn't have done or is silently sulking.

I can't wait for the next win!!!!:whiner:

DumpJerry
07-21-2006, 10:11 PM
(Crede GIDP at the end of the 8th on Friday against the Rangers)
I'm getting verrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy crabby!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

gbergman
07-21-2006, 11:16 PM
well im real crabby after this lost tonight...:angry:

DrCrawdad
07-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Add me to the list of those who get crabby after losses. During times like this, I don't watch sports highlights on the news and completely tune-out sports gab radio.

Come-on Sox win so you can cheer up us Sox fans!

bigfoot
07-22-2006, 08:19 AM
I definitely get crabby when the white sox lose. This week has been particuarly bad because I know we could be playing a lot better. However, I usually get over it after an hour or so post-game.

My boyfriend is another story entirely... ever since last October he has been eating, drinking, sleeping white sox. So naturally, when the white sox are playing like crap he gets downright angry. There's no point in talking to him after a loss because he is either angrily exclaming everything the sox should/shouldn't have done or is silently sulking.

I can't wait for the next win!!!!:whiner:

Welcome aboard!:welcome:

SOXSINCE'70
07-22-2006, 02:47 PM
I feel like **** for a few hours.Then,the feeling beomes quiet anger.
It used to be worse.15-16 years ago,I took losses very hard.A bad loss
could last for days.:(:

SOXSINCE'70
07-22-2006, 02:48 PM
During times like this, I don't watch sports highlights on the news and completely tune-out sports gab radio.

Both are off limits to me as well after a Sox loss.

Dancin' Homer
07-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Add me to the list of those who get crabby after losses. During times like this, I don't watch sports highlights on the news and completely tune-out sports gab radio.

Come-on Sox win so you can cheer up us Sox fans!

I won't turn my paper over, no sports section for me.

Thome25
07-23-2006, 07:58 AM
I get really crabby after losses. I go ballistic in times like this when the Sox aren't playing particularly well.

I refuse to watch anything on ESPN, I won't visit any of the Chicago newspaper's websites, I refuse to read any negative threads on here, and I won't read the sports sections of any of the local papers.

ChiSoxGirl
07-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Last night, I pretty much went over the edge about the loss- just ask The Dude, Chips, IronFisk or robiwho! As soon as Jenks gave up those two runs in the ninth, my mood shifted immediately from good to beyond angry. :angry: I just saw last night as a GOLDEN opportunity to gain ground and when the Sox botched that, I just went ballistic and was probably not too much fun to be around.

In short, the answer to the title of this thread is YES! I definitely get crabby after losses!

Chips
07-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Last night, I pretty much went over the edge about the loss- just ask The Dude, Chips, IronFisk or robiwho! As soon as Jenks gave up those two runs in the ninth, my mood shifted immediately from good to beyond angry. :angry: I just saw last night as a GOLDEN opportunity to gain ground and when the Sox botched that, I just went ballistic and was probably not too much fun to be around.

In short, the answer to the title of this thread is YES! I definitely get crabby after losses!

She is not lying folks.:D:

ChiSoxGirl is awesome.

Britt Burns
07-23-2006, 06:36 PM
I am insufferable after a tough loss, like last night. I'd say the success has spoiled me, but I was pretty miserable when they lost meaningless games prior to 2005.