View Full Version : Don Cooper Weighs In On 'Fatigue'

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 04:35 PM
From Thursday's Sun-Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside20.html

Lip

PaulDrake
07-20-2006, 04:45 PM
The universal consensus is that today athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, blah, blah, blah. Maybe my old brain has lost its elasticity but I can't understand why ML pitchers are now so fragile.

Corlose 15
07-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I like Don Cooper.

southside rocks
07-20-2006, 05:12 PM
I like Don Cooper.

I do too. Nineteen years with the club and he still manages to be refreshing.

downstairs
07-20-2006, 05:19 PM
Coop is the man.

Fatigue?!?

Beyond some instances of complete abuse by managers, its a myth.

schmitty9800
07-20-2006, 06:31 PM
I can't understand why ML pitchers are now so fragile.

Back in the day when a pitcher had four straight bad starts fewer people knew about it; there wasn't instant discussion about it on sports radio and message boards. Also, if a pitcher blew out his arm it wasn't usually put upon the manager for overworking him. They'd just chalk it up to "he didn't have it" or whatever.

But I agree with Coop. Yankee and Red Sox pitchers have to pitch into the playoffs every year, and you don't see them whining about "fatigue".

NoShoesJoe
07-20-2006, 10:56 PM
Back in the day when a pitcher had four straight bad starts fewer people knew about it; there wasn't instant discussion about it on sports radio and message boards. Also, if a pitcher blew out his arm it wasn't usually put upon the manager for overworking him. They'd just chalk it up to "he didn't have it" or whatever.

But I agree with Coop. Yankee and Red Sox pitchers have to pitch into the playoffs every year, and you don't see them whining about "fatigue".
I don't buy the fatigue line either, especially after the break. Nonsense. Coop is awesome.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 11:01 PM
What's puzzling is that Sox players themselves (i.e. Garland, Dye, Politte) are the ones bringing up the 'fatigue' factor.

Great point about the Yankee, Red Sox, Braves pitchers having to throw additional innings due to post season play year after year after year.

I'm sorry I don't buy that excuse. You're the World Champions making millions of dollars. Start winning and stop whinning.

Lip

JB98
07-20-2006, 11:03 PM
The Chicago media loves to talk about pitchers falling apart the year after a playoff run. After all, it happened to the 1985 Cubs and the 2001 Sox, so the 2006 Sox are doomed to fail. Coop is calling bull**** on that line of thinking, and good for him.

schmitty9800
07-20-2006, 11:12 PM
What's puzzling is that Sox players themselves (i.e. Garland, Dye, Politte) are the ones bringing up the 'fatigue' factor.To be fair they're not all bringing it up, from the one story I read Garland was prompted (it read something like, "When asked about it, Garland said 'Well yeah I would agree that we're fatigued'"). Then the reporter ignores all the comments about "We've got to go out there, play better, and win some ballgames" and he just runs the fatigue quote.

monkeypants
07-21-2006, 12:54 AM
What's puzzling is that Sox players themselves (i.e. Garland, Dye, Politte) are the ones bringing up the 'fatigue' factor.

Great point about the Yankee, Red Sox, Braves pitchers having to throw additional innings due to post season play year after year after year.

I'm sorry I don't buy that excuse. You're the World Champions making millions of dollars. Start winning and stop whinning.

Lip
Dye also mentioned about being fatigued? This might make sense because over the past few weeks I've been angry with him because he has dogged a lot of balls hit his way and hasn't run hard on many ground outs. But Lip, you're right, there is no excuse for him or the others. Maybe some people shouldn't be entering pointless homerun derbys and then complain about being tired.

Let me add to the Don Cooper love-fest. He rocks like Gibraltar.

Grzegorz
07-21-2006, 05:55 AM

Lip

You're absolutely right; suck it up and quit whining. Mix things up a little be being more aggressive on the bases (no, not you Joey Cora) by hitting and running when the lineup allows you the weapons to do so (Iguchi) and straight steal some more. No, I not advocating that Iguchi and Anderson start acting like Ricky Henderson, but catch the oppposing team off guard from time to time.

The pitchers have to pitch and the players have to execute the fundamentals.

lukeman89
07-21-2006, 07:20 AM
we have to try to win games right now, not conserve to try to win games later. teams are getting too close to us in the wild card and detroit has its biggest lead on us all year.

Pods
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Anderson
thats the line up. stick with it.
give aj a day off every 7-10 games, let cintron get an occasional start for gooch/uribe, mackowiak should not start more than once every 2 weeks because of how BA is playing right now. ozuna for pods occasionaly, i dont have a problem with (and i dont think many people do) thome, konerko, dye, crede should not have a problem starting virtually the rest of the year. obviously they will need a day off every once in a long while, but dont force the issue of rest.

the team is just in a bad groove right now, they'll get out of it. i just hope they do soon because with the blink of an eye we can be 7 or 8 games back of detroit and tied for the wild card.

Lip Man 1
07-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Monkey:

After that 15-11 debacle (which in my opinion started this slump) Dye was quoted as saying that 'all the recent day games may have taken their toll.'

One problem with that comment (and I can't claim this as being thought out by myself. An acquaintance who is one of the beat writers brought it up) the Sox were playing those day games at home (i.e. in Chicago...)

They were sleeping in their homes those evenings.

They weren't flying into Anaheim and checking in at 3:30 in the morning or having to play a double header in the 'heat' in Detroit.

The played the Cub games, drove home and did whatever they wanted to do around their own house.

Lip

JB98
07-21-2006, 06:20 PM
we have to try to win games right now, not conserve to try to win games later. teams are getting too close to us in the wild card and detroit has its biggest lead on us all year.

Pods
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Crede
Uribe
Anderson
thats the line up. stick with it.
give aj a day off every 7-10 games, let cintron get an occasional start for gooch/uribe, mackowiak should not start more than once every 2 weeks because of how BA is playing right now. ozuna for pods occasionaly, i dont have a problem with (and i dont think many people do) thome, konerko, dye, crede should not have a problem starting virtually the rest of the year. obviously they will need a day off every once in a long while, but dont force the issue of rest.

the team is just in a bad groove right now, they'll get out of it. i just hope they do soon because with the blink of an eye we can be 7 or 8 games back of detroit and tied for the wild card.

How quickly they forget. We had the freshest team at playoff time last year because of Ozzie's liberal use of his bench during the season. I criticized Ozzie for resting guys during the regular season last summer. I was wrong. He knows what he's doing.