PDA

View Full Version : Bunting Stats

ChicagoHoosier
07-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Where could I find a stat that would show how often the Sox have a man on 2nd base with zero outs and fail to bunt or move that runner to third? I think the bunting is a bigger flaw, since you can try to swing away and hit to the right side and fail which is more difficult (I feel) than simply laying down a bunt.

Any idea? I think we are still VERY poor at bunting, despite the extra practice Ozzie has made the players go through.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-20-2006, 09:00 PM
When is the last time we bunted for a hit? Was it Ozuna's?

QCIASOXFAN
07-20-2006, 09:03 PM
When is the last time we bunted for a hit? Was it Ozuna's? I think it was healthy Pablo.

RadioheadRocks
07-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Quality bunting during the season leads to quality "bunting" in October. :D:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/united-states-flag_1906_5194990 (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/united-states-flag_1906_5174087)

JB98
07-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Where could I find a stat that would show how often the Sox have a man on 2nd base with zero outs and fail to bunt or move that runner to third? I think the bunting is a bigger flaw, since you can try to swing away and hit to the right side and fail which is more difficult (I feel) than simply laying down a bunt.

Any idea? I think we are still VERY poor at bunting, despite the extra practice Ozzie has made the players go through.

I don't know where you can get bunting stats, but I can tell you the last successful Sox sacrifice bunt came on 7/1 against the Cubs. The hitter: Javier Vazquez.

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
When is the last time we bunted for a hit? Was it Ozuna's?

After watching Pods record popup outs on his last 3 drag bunt attempts, I'd rather he swing away. Some of these guys just look awful trying to bunt, Iguchi, Pods, Uribe, the guys who are supposed to be able to get a bunt down, every time they are asked. Its pathetic.

thomeforpres
07-21-2006, 12:06 AM
After watching Pods record popup outs on his last 3 drag bunt attempts, I'd rather he swing away. Some of these guys just look awful trying to bunt, Iguchi, Pods, Uribe, the guys who are supposed to be able to get a bunt down, every time they are asked. Its pathetic.
My advice would be not to rush into it. I would have another year or two just training hard and eating right. I myself hope to become a professional wrestler in the near future and intend to train at Storm Wrestling Academy. But I'm not going anywhere until I'm at a good enough weight. I think it'll be easier to maintain a physique while in the wrestling business than it will be to build a new one there.

You're clearly very passionate about wrestling and very determined to make it. But you're only 17 and time is on your side. I don't think it would hurt to keep solidly training for the time being and to try to add more mass. You've just gotta stay focused and remember what its all for

RadioheadRocks
07-21-2006, 12:17 AM
My advice would be not to rush into it. I would have another year or two just training hard and eating right. I myself hope to become a professional wrestler in the near future and intend to train at Storm Wrestling Academy. But I'm not going anywhere until I'm at a good enough weight. I think it'll be easier to maintain a physique while in the wrestling business than it will be to build a new one there.

You're clearly very passionate about wrestling and very determined to make it. But you're only 17 and time is on your side. I don't think it would hurt to keep solidly training for the time being and to try to add more mass. You've just gotta stay focused and remember what its all for

And this relates to the White Sox bunting situation how????????

BadBobbyJenks
07-21-2006, 12:20 AM

:?: what in the world?

jongarlandlover
07-21-2006, 12:24 AM

er...:?:

QCIASOXFAN
07-21-2006, 12:28 AM

You're clearly very passionate about wrestling and very determined to make it. But you're only 17 and time is on your side. I don't think it would hurt to keep solidly training for the time being and to try to add more mass. You've just gotta stay focused and remember what its all for:?: *** are you talking about.

Chips
07-21-2006, 12:30 AM

What the ****?

I see how people can feel dumber after **** like this.

rowand33
07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
:?: *** are you talking about.

at least he didn't tell us about his truck driving mother...

FedEx227
07-21-2006, 12:36 AM
It makes perfect sense guys.

It's all metaphorical I think... is it... wait no... what the **** is he talking about?

jenn2080
07-21-2006, 12:53 AM

triple H isnt in this thread. what are you talking about?

TDog
07-21-2006, 01:22 AM

The Sox shouldn't be bunting with a man on second and none out. Fundamental baseball is hitting the ball on the ground to the right side. Thome, essentially only has to pull the ball, so he doesn't even have to worry about giving himself up. If he hits a fly ball with the No. 2 hitter on second, it will probably be deep enough to get him to third. With Thome, the key is hitting the ball. It's different with men on first and second, of course, because of the threat of a double play.

I have a couple of ideas about why the Sox and other teams are attempting to bunt in that situation. I wonder if players are so concerned with their batting averages that they won't give themselves up, forcing the manager to put the bunt on.

slobes
07-21-2006, 02:27 AM
I don't know where you can get bunting stats, but I can tell you the last successful Sox sacrifice bunt came on 7/1 against the Cubs. The hitter: Javier Vazquez.

Sadly I think that our pitchers have been the most reliable this year. Whenever anyone else has to lay one down, I always think they're gonna mess it up. With any of our pitchers out there, I was entirely confident that they would get a good bunt down.

Craig Grebeck
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd prefer that we just let them swing away and not give up outs. After failed bunts they're at 0-2 and can't dig themselves out. The runner is already in scoring position, it's not worth giving up an out in that situation unless a pitcher is up.

Paulwny
07-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I have a couple of ideas about why the Sox and other teams are attempting to bunt in that situation. I wonder if players are so concerned with their batting averages that they won't give themselves up, forcing the manager to put the bunt on.

Offensive numbers = $$$$
Giving one self up by hitting to the right side , although loved by the manager, doesn't help the batting average which is looked at during contract negotiations.