PDA

View Full Version : Bob Wickman traded to braves

gbergman
07-20-2006, 01:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525138

Frater Perdurabo
07-20-2006, 01:35 PM
I guess this means the Braves are buyers, making this even more of a seller's market. It's good to see that Cleveland seems to be "white flagging" it; let's hope the Sox can wipe the floor with them and pad their win total.

Mots09
07-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Guess the Sox are going to get A. Jones then

put that rumor on the back burner for another 5 years

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 01:42 PM
I wonder how Bob Wickman feels about this... He said this past off-season that if he didn't re-sign with the Indians he wanted to retire, in affect saying "Indians or Retirement"

Think Shapiro asked Wickman regarding the trade before hand?

At any rate, this is a slick move for the Braves, getting that much needed 9th inning guy they have lacked for the past two seasons.

SoxFan78
07-20-2006, 01:43 PM
Wow! I never would of thought after last years season that the Indians would be having a fire sale in the middle of July.

Weren't they #1 in some power ranking in the beginning of the year?

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Guess the Sox are not going to get A. Jones then

put that rumor on the back burner for another 5 days

Fixed it for you.

The Dude
07-20-2006, 01:54 PM
The kicker is they only got the Braves 20th best prospect for their closer! Nice to see the Toons out of it and settling for 4th place.:D:

Chips
07-20-2006, 01:55 PM
The Braves are now one step closer to winning that division.

The Dude
07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
The Braves are now one step closer to winning that division.

:rolling:

You mean wildcard??

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 02:00 PM
:rolling:

You mean wildcard??

Why are you laughing? They are 11.5 games out with 70 games to go. Anything can happen. This is the Braves we are talking about.

The Dude
07-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Why are you laughing? They are 11.5 games out with 70 games to go. Anything can happen. This is the Braves we are talking about.

Because the Mets will not collapse. They are the only legit team in the NL.

y2j2785
07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
I wonder how Bob Wickman feels about this... He said this past off-season that if he didn't re-sign with the Indians he wanted to retire, in affect saying "Indians or Retirement"

Think Shapiro asked Wickman regarding the trade before hand?

At any rate, this is a slick move for the Braves, getting that much needed 9th inning guy they have lacked for the past two seasons.

Hes a 10 and 5 player so he can veto the trade if he wants to.

DumpJerry
07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
:reinsy
11.5 games out? You've got to be a fool to think a team can make that up this late in the season! Trust me, I know. I have experience with this stuff.

SoxFanPrope
07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525138

To the Braves for prospect C Max Ramirez.

My question is.......why trade for a catcher?

santo=dorf
07-20-2006, 07:52 PM
The Indians have realized how much of a hack Martinez is behind the plate, so they are grooming him to be a first baseman. Broussard's days are numbered, as he was almost non-tendered last offseason.

Chips
07-20-2006, 10:19 PM
Welcome to earlier today (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75497)

TheOldRoman
07-20-2006, 10:25 PM
The Mets are not as good as they seem. They have Pedro and Glavine, and the rest of the rotation sucks. Pedro is on the DL, and Glavine's first half has been a fluke, he will cool down a good amount. If the Mets don't pick up two starting pitchers, they will have a looooong second half.

Domeshot17
07-20-2006, 10:40 PM
this sucks for us, Wickman in always meant a sox win.

Trav
07-21-2006, 07:22 AM
I thought they all ready had a catcher backing up Martinez. There is talk of mooving Martinez to 1B because he isn't that good of a defensive catcher and they love his bat. I thought they were high on the guy behind him. I guess not.

Is Boone next? I think that would be smart; giving Andy Marte some playing time in the bigs.

tlebar318
07-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Maybe there is a package deal coming with Wickman and Andrew Jones coming to the Sox before the trade deadline?:redneck

Mohoney
07-21-2006, 07:34 AM
It's too bad that we didn't have a catcher to give, otherwise we might have been able to make this deal.

At least the rate for relievers will come back down to Earth after that mind-boggling Reds-Nats deal. The Indians got only one prospect for a closer.

bluestar
07-21-2006, 08:42 AM
It's too bad that we didn't have a catcher to give, otherwise we might have been able to make this deal.

At least the rate for relievers will come back down to Earth after that mind-boggling Reds-Nats deal. The Indians got only one prospect for a closer.

Why would the Sox want Wickman? He is obviously declining, and we have a closer.

For those talking about the Cleveland catcher situation, they clearly did not make this trade to address any immediate catcher issues. Ramirez is a catcher at the Class A level. He isn't very good defensively, yet, and is clearly someone that requires a LOT of work before he could even be considered for a major league position. Obviously, they like his potential, but I think this was more about moving Wickman so they can give Carmona the closer job and see how he does.

nasox
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM

We would be legit if we played the NL all year long.

Although, we are legit already. :redface:

SoxFanPrope
07-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Welcome to earlier today (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75497)
I guess I should probably stop ignoring non-bolded threads. Oh well.

Tragg
07-23-2006, 11:26 PM
The kicker is they only got the Braves 20th best prospect for their closer! Nice to see the Toons out of it and settling for 4th place.:D: Exactly.
Wickman has his flaws, but Atlanta just got Cleveland's closer for an A BALL PLAYER.
I've read more than one suggestion on here that we trade a top prospect for some mediocre middle-reliever.