PDA

View Full Version : 3rd place, better than NL?

downstairs
07-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Don't look now but the Twins are only 2.5 games away from the NY Mets. Of course this means nothing in terms of real results... but it could happen that a team finishes 3rd in their division, doesn't make the playoffs.... and is STILL better than the entire other league.

Has that ever happened before?

PKalltheway
07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Don't look now but the Twins are only 2.5 games away from the NY Mets. Of course this means nothing in terms of real results... but it could happen that a team finishes 3rd in their division, doesn't make the playoffs.... and is STILL better than the entire other league.

Has that ever happened before?
I don't think it has, although there have been some ugly seasons put up by certain divisions, but from an entire league? I looked up the 1987 season, and the Yankees, who finished a distant fourth place in the AL East (9 games out BTW), would have still won the pathetic AL West by four games over the Twins.:o: I guess I shouldn't say anything since the Twins wound up winning it all that year.

EDIT: Even though this happened before divisional play, I've found one. In 1964, the 3rd place Baltimore Orioles had a better record than the eventual World Champion St. Louis Cardinals. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/season?year=1964

downstairs
07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't think it has, although there have been some ugly seasons put up by certain divisions, but from an entire league? I looked up the 1987 season, and the Yankees, who finished a distant fourth place in the AL East (9 games out BTW), would have still won the pathetic AL West by four games over the Twins.:o: I guess I shouldn't say anything since the Twins wound up winning it all that year.

EDIT: Even though this happened before divisional play, I've found one. In 1964, the 3rd place Baltimore Orioles had a better record than the eventual World Champion St. Louis Cardinals. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/alltime/season?year=1964

Funny thing is, both the Cards in '64 and Twins in '87 won the World Series...

Also intersting in 1987, the NL had the same situation... 3rd place in the east went to MON with 91 wins... San Fran won the west with 90 wins...

PKalltheway
07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Funny thing is, both the Cards in '64 and Twins in '87 won the World Series...

Also intersting in 1987, the NL had the same situation... 3rd place in the east went to MON with 91 wins... San Fran won the west with 90 wins...
1984 was a pretty sorry year for the AL West as well since KC won the division with just 84 wins. 4 teams in the AL East that year had a better record than KC, and only 2 division winners have had a worse record and still won the division. (2005 Padres, 1973 Mets, the latter of which lost the World Series in seven games to Oakland).

StatHead21
07-21-2006, 05:21 PM
the 1993 Giants won 103 games and missed the playoffs, this brought on the Wild Card.