PDA

View Full Version : Give me your honest opinions about these trades...

WhiteSoxFan84
07-20-2006, 01:30 AM
***If you are just going to bash these trades or have nothing to add to this
thread, please just close it and don't bother adding a "This Thread Blows" or
"This is dumb" post. I want insightful responses, positive or negative***

I've been thinking about these two trades for a while and now I'm really starting to push the idea to my friends and a lot of Sox fans I see at work, ballgames, bars, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I heard a rumor about a possible Jason Schmidt for Brandon McCarthy trade. I'm assuming the trade would involve us adding someone (probably a prospect or two) to the trade to make it work.

Then of course a lot of us heard about the rumor from the New York Daily News about Kenny Williams telling the Mets and other ballclubs that he would trade Javier Vazquez or Freddy Garcia for bullpen help. So here's what I thought of...

I love Brandon McCarthy (23 years old) and think the kid has a bright future ahead of him. But I also want to win after 2, 3, or even 5 more rings and win them within the next 5 years. I'd send him to San Francisco for Jason Schmidt (32 years old). Schmidt also agrees to a 3 year contract extension with the Sox. I'd do it as long as we don't have to overpay with the prospects we send along with Fingernails on a blackboard.

I'd then turn around and trade Garcia (30 years old) or Vazquez (most likely Garcia) to the Mets for Duaner Sanchez (26 years old) and a prospect or two to replace the ones we lose in the Schmidt acquisition.

After the trade, our rotation would consist of Contreras/Schmidt/Buehrle/Garland/Vazquez. Our bullpen would include Neal Cotts/Sanchez as our set-up men and "Big Bad" Bobby Jenks as our closer. The only problem we may have is no longer having Fingernails on a blackboard as our long man. But I'm sure Sean Tracey or someone can fill-in. But with the 1-2-3 of Contreras/Schmidt/Buehrle, who all can easily go into the 7th inning every outting, we may not need a long man all that often.

So technically the trade would be Garcia (30) and McCarthy (23) for Schmidt (32) and Sanchez (26). I am really high on Sanchez and think he would make an unreal set-up man for years to come. He can also step in as a closer if needed. I liked him with the Dodgers and now he's even better on a bigger stage.

What do you guys think?

getonbckthr
07-20-2006, 01:40 AM
TEAL:threadsucks TEAL
In all seriousness. The idea of giving up Mccarthy for a rental player just is not a good idea. This is very deep pink here, but if say we could get Oswalt for Mccarthy and prospects I would do it, but not for a rental.

buehrle4cy05
07-20-2006, 01:48 AM
IMO, by keeping McCarthy, the chances of winning another title in the next 5 years are better than by renting a guy like Schmidt for this year. Next year, when McCarthy moves to the rotation, he'll be a good pitcher. I would imagine that the first month of so may be rough for him, as it will take a little while for him to get his stamina up, and people will be calling for his head. But by May, McCarthy will take his place amongst the best young SP's in the league.

Schmidt's a very good pitcher, but not worth McCarthy at this point.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-20-2006, 02:00 AM
I totally forgot Schmidt is on a contract year. From here on out, let's assume we re-sign Schmidt to a 3 year deal as soon as we acquire him.

TDog
07-20-2006, 06:56 AM
You don't have trades here. You have speculation. When the White Sox make a trade, I will express an opinion.

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 10:01 AM
the whole point of moving one of the starters (Garcia or Vazquez) is to make room for McCarthy in the rotation. Why on earth would you then trade him for a 33 year old in a contract year who has lost 5-6 mph on his fastball??

palehozenychicty
07-20-2006, 10:06 AM
the whole point of moving one of the starters (Garcia or Vazquez) is to make room for McCarthy in the rotation. Why on earth would you then trade him for a 33 year old in a contract year who has lost 5-6 mph on his fastball??

exactly. just keep garcia if you are thinking along those lines...truth be told, garcia threw respectably on sunday after the first inning debacle. he could be righted.

as for vazquez, sigh,...who knows?:(:

Ol' No. 2
07-20-2006, 10:15 AM
I totally forgot Schmidt is on a contract year. From here on out, let's assume we re-sign Schmidt to a 3 year deal as soon as we acquire him.Can we assume he throws no-hitters every time out, too?

fquaye149
07-20-2006, 10:16 AM
You don't have trades here. You have speculation. When the White Sox make a trade, I will express an opinion.

Way to stick your neck out...good thing you made that post:rolleyes:

re: these trade ideas, I mean, they don't suck per se. Schmidt's got great stuff. The thing to keep in mind, though, is you're taking McCarthy who's a relatively known commodity in USCF and is only, what? 23? and trading for a guy (Schmidt) who

a.) has already peaked
b.) has pitched in the NL his entire career
c.) is pitching in a pitcher's park

I'm not saying McCarthy's going to become as good as Schmidt, but it seems silly to trade a low-priced, locked up, "prospect" like Brandon who has shown lights out pitching ability (though, admittedly, has also shown he's still learning).

Meanwhile, I think we're a little quick to pull the trigger on a Garcia/Vazquez trade. Yes, Freddy's velocity has been down, and yes Vazquez has pitched like he did yesterday quite a lot. But the fact is, I'm confident we'll MAKE the playoffs this year even if we keep the team as is. Once there, a pitcher like Garcia or Vazquez could be lights out. Garcia has in the past, and most scouts will tell you Vazquez has as good of stuff as anyone in MLB.

I don't think Kenny has to drastically reshape the team that has so far had the second best record in MLB....but if these trades DID go down, I wouldn't exactly give up on our guys or hold up a fire Kenny sign either...

MVP
07-20-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think Jason Schmidt is worth giving up McCarthy at this point. Schmidt is only 6-6 with a 3.06 ERA in the National League where he doesn't have to face the designated hitter. His ERA is good, but it would be about a run per game higher in the AL. Then you're looking at a .500 pitcher with a 4.00 ERA. That's not exactly much to get excited about, particularly as he'll be a free agent and is getting older and McCarthy is cheap right now and has his future ahead of him.

SoxFanPrope
07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Agree with the sentiment that really you are trying to make room for McCarthy in the rotation. With the Mets idea you posted, I can't see them trading anybody really. They are in the hunt, and I don't think they'd want to screw anything up for themselves.

soxinem1
07-20-2006, 01:21 PM

Ditto! No to Schmidt. But if we traded for Tom Gordon, who is under contract for next year too (2008?), he could bail out of those baserunner situations we fail in now.

gbergman
07-20-2006, 02:18 PM
no for schmidt, yea for gordon

SOXSINCE'70
07-20-2006, 06:09 PM
yea for gordon

I have a question:

Will "Flush" Gordon be happy as a setup man??
You know # 45 gets the call when the Sox
have a lead in the 9th.
:tgordon:

"I once wore this uniform".

y2j2785
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a question:

Will "Flush" Gordon be happy as a setup man??
You know # 45 gets the call when the Sox
have a lead in the 9th.
:tgordon:

"I once wore this uniform".

I thought I heard somewhere that he said he wanted to come back to the sox before he went to the Yankees but the Yankees offered too much $$$ to refuse. I also thought he said he wouldnt mind coming back to the sox even if he wasnt the closer. With all the rumors and thing I dont remember where I heard this though.

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Gordon said he wouldn't sign with the Sox because he wanted to close, not set-up, after the Yankees offered all that money though and a long term deal he changed his mind somewhat since he obviously wasn't closing in New York.

Lip

soxinem1
07-20-2006, 09:15 PM
When Gordon was here, especially once he was stretched out after the first month or so, he came in countless times and squashed rallies. Between him and Marte, at that time, they were awesome.

I think TG has TJ surgery, so his arm is actually younger than he is, so I say make a play for him.

If not, I hear Rick White is available to come back!!!