PDA

View Full Version : Widger news

Lip Man 1
07-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Chris Widger's name has been mentioned around here lately. This is from Mark Gonzales' story on Tribune.com:

Guillen expressed support for backup catcher Chris Widger even though Sox pitchers have a 5.50 ERA when he is behind the plate.

"I think Widger just puts the fingers down, and they throw," Guillen said. "I can't go blaming the catcher. Most of the time, when Widger was here last year, he was pretty good behind the plate. Right now, you cannot blame the guys behind the plate. You have to blame the guys throwing the ball."

Sox pitchers had a 3.30 ERA in games Widger caught last year.

Lip

JB98
07-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Chris Widger's name has been mentioned around here lately. This is from Mark Gonzales' story on Tribune.com:

Guillen expressed support for backup catcher Chris Widger even though Sox pitchers have a 5.50 ERA when he is behind the plate.

"I think Widger just puts the fingers down, and they throw," Guillen said. "I can't go blaming the catcher. Most of the time, when Widger was here last year, he was pretty good behind the plate. Right now, you cannot blame the guys behind the plate. You have to blame the guys throwing the ball."

Sox pitchers had a 3.30 ERA in games Widger caught last year.

Lip

Oh, no! You mean we're not getting Henry Blanco. Drat!

bluestar
07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
I just hope Widger isn't "putting the fingers down" tomorrow. I don't mind having him as the backup catcher, but I would prefer he catch maybe once every 7-10 days, instead once every five.

Jjav829
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I just hope Widger isn't "putting the fingers down" tomorrow. I don't mind having him as the backup catcher, but I would prefer he catch maybe once every 7-10 days, instead once every five.

Day game after a night game and a lefty on the mound. We'll be seeing Widger tomorrow.

bluestar
07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Day game after a night game and a lefty on the mound. We'll be seeing Widger tomorrow.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. :(:

TDog
07-19-2006, 10:51 PM

Leyland usually has backup catcher Vance Wilson hitting third on day games after night games. At least that's what he did last Sunday and the Sunday be for the All-Star break.

JB98
07-19-2006, 10:58 PM

Such a strategy would kill AJ, who isn't exactly swinging the bat well right now as it is.

bluestar
07-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Such a strategy would kill AJ, who isn't exactly swinging the bat well right now as it is.

Okay, so I guess 10 days would be a bit much.

Maybe we should look harder at that Fields for Blanco trade, then.

Anyway, I think this team can beat The Gambler, even with Widger behind the plate.

hawkjt
07-19-2006, 11:22 PM
AJ is hitting 0-9 this series and he has no chance against a lefty like rogers.

Widg just has to let jose call his own game and get a darn hit, already .

I think ozz is saying what he needs to .
Win tomorrow and then we kick some texas arse.

slobes
07-19-2006, 11:28 PM
AJ is hitting 0-9 this series and he has no chance against a lefty like rogers.

Widg just has to let jose call his own game and get a darn hit, already .

I think ozz is saying what he needs to .
Win tomorrow and then we kick some texas arse.

Yeah I have no problem with Widger starting tomorrow. Giving AJ a day off is not bad, which some people here hafta understand. Catching a game for 3 hours day after day is tiring work.

Mohoney
07-19-2006, 11:50 PM
Can't AJ just get Friday off instead?

BadBobbyJenks
07-20-2006, 12:24 AM
Doesnt AJ catch Jose pretty much exclusively(except for last game) or am I making this up?

buehrle4cy05
07-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Doesnt AJ catch Jose pretty much exclusively(except for last game) or am I making this up?
Probably a coincidence.

Edit: Mohoney, love the sig.