PDA

View Full Version : Shea Hillenbrand whines, gets cut by Blue Jays

Mr. White Sox
07-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Hillenbrand wants trade (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2524415)

EDIT:

Hillenbrand Released!

rowand33
07-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Hillenbrand is a good contact hitter. Some team is going to luck out getting him for nothing.

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Thread title of "Hillenbrand whines, gets cut." Well the story going round is that the reason is because the team bitched him out because he needed to miss a game to go adopt a child. If you know anything about the process you would know when they call because they have a child for you you can't say "I have a baseball game today but i'll try to stop by tommorow." You have to go and meet with them immediately. If the story is true the Toronto Blue Jays will officially become the biggest joke and embarressment of a franchise in the history of sports.

y2j2785
07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
Hillenbrand is a good contact hitter. Some team is going to luck out getting him for nothing.

Can he play CF? :rolleyes:

Chisox003
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Well there goes my starting 3B for fantasy.

I'd be willing to be he ends up with the Angels. Seems like a perfect fit.

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Can you use teal?:tealtutor:

Mr. White Sox
07-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Thread title of "Hillenbrand whines, gets cut." Well the story going round is that the reason is because the team bitched him out because he needed to miss a game to go adopt a child. If you know anything about the process you would know when they call because they have a child for you you can't say "I have a baseball game today but i'll try to stop by tommorow." You have to go and meet with them immediately. If the story is true the Toronto Blue Jays will officially become the biggest joke and embarressment of a franchise in the history of sports.
Ooooh, didn't know that stuff.

My "whine" title was based on the facts that Hillenbrand refused to sit with his teammates during the game, complained about manager John Gibbons, and complained about not getting enough at-bats.

I had no idea RE: the adoption issue, and of course he should be allowed time.

From what I read, he was upset that the Blue Jays did not congratulate him on adopting a kid, which is also not so good.

TornLabrum
07-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Ooooh, didn't know that stuff.

My "whine" title was based on the facts that Hillenbrand refused to sit with his teammates during the game, complained about manager Jay Gibbons, and complained about not getting enough at-bats.

I had no idea RE: the adoption issue, and of course he should be allowed time.

From what I read, he was upset that the Blue Jays did not congratulate him on adopting a kid, which is also not so good.

Stupid management, whiney player: An unbeatable combination!

JaysFan
07-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Thread title of "Hillenbrand whines, gets cut." Well the story going round is that the reason is because the team bitched him out because he needed to miss a game to go adopt a child. If you know anything about the process you would know when they call because they have a child for you you can't say "I have a baseball game today but i'll try to stop by tommorow." You have to go and meet with them immediately. If the story is true the Toronto Blue Jays will officially become the biggest joke and embarressment of a franchise in the history of sports.Please find out the whole story before making wild judgments like that. Hillenbrand was given four days off, he left for his Arizona home after last Thursday night's game to go through the adoption process. Hillenbrand flew back to Toronto under the assumption that he would be in the lineup tonight. The supposed story is that Gibbons decided that he would sit Hillenbrand tonight until after Shea got some fielding practice in order to shake off any rust that may have arisen. (Not an unreasonable request by any stretch of the imagination). Fielding practice time came around, and Shea was nowhere to be found. He along with some other players were too busy playing a clubhouse prank on somebody. During a pre-game closed-door team meeting. Gibbons lost it on Hillenbrand. Those two had always had their differences, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hillenbrand threw a hissy-fit, and refused to come out to the dugout for the game. Consequently, JP had to DFA him and get rid of the problem before it escalated too far.

SoxSpeed22
07-19-2006, 10:31 PM
I swear I cannot catch a break on my H2H team to a) save myself and b) If I built a positronic break-catching machine. He whines about playing time while sitting out during adopting a child.
http://www.hrwiki.org/index.php/Image:BL_Commander.PNGhttp://www.hrwiki.org/images/5/53/BL_Commander.PNG
"&^#*%@!"

Palehose13
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Please find out the whole story before making wild judgments like that. Hillenbrand was given four days off, he left for his Arizona home after last Thursday night's game to go through the adoption process. Hillenbrand flew back to Toronto under the assumption that he would be in the lineup tonight. Gibbons decided that he would sit Hillenbrand tonight until after Shea got some fielding practice in order to shake off any rust that may have arisen. (Not an unreasonable request by any stretch of the imagination). Fielding practice time came around, and Shea was nowhere to be found. He along with some other players were too busy playing a clubhouse prank on somebody. During a pre-game closed-door team meeting. Gibbons lost it on Hillenbrand. Those two had always had their differences, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hillenbrand threw a hissy-fit, and refused to come out to the dugout for the game. Consequently, JP had to DFA him and get rid of the problem before it escalated too far.
That's one heck of a story. Is this common knowledge i.e., in the papers/media?

JaysFan
07-19-2006, 10:40 PM
That's one heck of a story. Is this common knowledge i.e., in the papers/media?That's what the Toronto Star is reporting.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153346481315&call_pageid=969907739730&col=970081600908

The Star was the newspaper that first reported all of this. Not sure why the AP played up the adoption angle, but it clearly wasn't the issue that the AP made it out to be. I could see how it would be misleading to a casual observer.

Palehose13
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
That's what the Toronto Star is reporting.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153346481315&call_pageid=969907739730&col=970081600908

The Star was the newspaper that first reported all of this. Not sure why the AP played up the adoption angle, but it clearly wasn't the issue that the AP made it out to be. I could see how it would be misleading to a casual observer.

Gotcha. Thanks for the link.

y2j2785
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Can you use teal?:tealtutor:

sorry i never remember which one is teal, thanks

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Please find out the whole story before making wild judgments like that. Hillenbrand was given four days off, he left for his Arizona home after last Thursday night's game to go through the adoption process. Hillenbrand flew back to Toronto under the assumption that he would be in the lineup tonight. The supposed story is that Gibbons decided that he would sit Hillenbrand tonight until after Shea got some fielding practice in order to shake off any rust that may have arisen. (Not an unreasonable request by any stretch of the imagination). Fielding practice time came around, and Shea was nowhere to be found. He along with some other players were too busy playing a clubhouse prank on somebody. During a pre-game closed-door team meeting. Gibbons lost it on Hillenbrand. Those two had always had their differences, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hillenbrand threw a hissy-fit, and refused to come out to the dugout for the game. Consequently, JP had to DFA him and get rid of the problem before it escalated too far.
I'm simply going on what I saw reported on Sportscenter. I also said "if its true" meaning I didn't know the whole story or its accuracies.

gbergman
07-20-2006, 12:01 AM
whomever picks him up is gonna be lucky they get a good player for nothing. I place my money on the angels to get him

thomas35forever
07-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Wow. One hissy fit and he's gone. He won't stay a free agent for long.

Baby Fisk
07-20-2006, 08:25 AM
On top of this, the damn Yankees are in Toronto for four games starting tonight. Not the most opportune time for clubhouse acrimony. Vernon Wells was interviewed on TV last night and looked shellshocked. This latest saga, combined with ongoing crappiness out of the bullpen (Shoeneweis blew the game on Tuesday), and key starters who continue to deal with injuries (Rios, Glaus), bodes ill for the blackbirds.

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
On top of this, the damn Yankees are in Toronto for four games starting tonight. Not the most opportune time for clubhouse acrimony. Vernon Wells was interviewed on TV last night and looked shellshocked. This latest saga, combined with ongoing crappiness out of the bullpen (Shoeneweis blew the game on Tuesday), and key starters who continue to deal with injuries (Rios, Glaus), bodes ill for the blackbirds.

Not to mention that their GM went on a tirade during the allstar break in an interview saying "Our 3/4/5 hitters re killing us" direct quote.. Vernon Wells was not happy about it when he was asked to respond.

Dan Mega
07-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Wow, I guess the Jays did what they had to do to part with the guy. Someone is gonna get a steal with this guy.

DaleJRFan
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
to clarify:

In a strange turn of events -- which began with an angry pregame tirade by Hillenbrand, who was then reportedly chastised in front of his teammates by Toronto manager John Gibbons during a closed-door meeting -- the Blue Jays designated Hillenbrand for assignment on Wednesday. Toronto has 10 days to either trade or release their former designated hitter.

He wasn't given his outright release. He was DFA'ed. Meaning, they can either trade, release or demote him. He has a lot of value and they'd be insane to just hand him a check along with his walking papers.

fquaye149
07-20-2006, 09:19 AM
I'm simply going on what I saw reported on Sportscenter. I also said "if its true" meaning I didn't know the whole story or its accuracies.
You should have known it was bull****, shock jock propaganda then.

:ESPN:
"THE BLUE JAYS HATE ORPHANS!!!!"

Fenway
07-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I can tell you first hand this guy is a total jerk going all the way back to when he played short season A ball in Lowell 10 years ago. The Red Sox were glad to get rid of him in 2003. He is not worth the trouble he brings.

RKMeibalane
07-20-2006, 04:00 PM

My eyes!

munchman33
07-20-2006, 04:13 PM
to clarify:

He wasn't given his outright release. He was DFA'ed. Meaning, they can either trade, release or demote him. He has a lot of value and they'd be insane to just hand him a check along with his walking papers.

Not true. He has a major league deal, meaning that the only way they can demote him is if he accepts the demotion. Otherwise, he has to be given an outright release. He isn't going to accept the demotion. And no team is going to trade for a guy that will certainly be released after ten days.

buehrle4cy05
07-21-2006, 10:56 AM
Gibbons challenged Hillenbrand to a fight:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525630

I don't know, but Gibbons seems like the guy who could knock the living **** out of you.

MarySwiss
07-21-2006, 11:47 AM
I can tell you first hand this guy is a total jerk going all the way back to when he played short season A ball in Lowell 10 years ago. The Red Sox were glad to get rid of him in 2003. He is not worth the trouble he brings.

Interesting. I never heard anything bad when he was a D'Back, but then again, he's not here anymore, so...?

southside rocks
07-21-2006, 12:15 PM
For your consideration: http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/jon61.html

(Cracked me up.)

TheDarkGundam
07-21-2006, 12:17 PM
For your consideration: http://www.progressiveboink.com/dugout/archive/jon61.html

(Cracked me up.)
I was gonna post that link!
I looove the dugout. :redneck

Baby Fisk
07-21-2006, 12:31 PM

(Cracked me up.)
I luv brutal satire! :cool:

southside rocks
07-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Well, I watched the last few innings of the Toronto-Yankees game last night and the Jays sure don't seem to be pining for Hillenbrand. Nice walk-off homerun off of Rivera by Vernon Wells!

I love to see the Yankees lose. :D:

chaerulez
07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't care if Hillenbrand is a jerk, you don't DFA him when your trying to overtake the Yankees and Red Sox and already have injuries to your lineup. At the very least you deal with him for a few days and make a trade. I think he can still be traded, because he would have to clear waviers and some team might not want to risk that. I don't think the message it sends to his teammates is a good one too. "We are in a middle of a playoff chase, but we're going to cut one of our .300 hitters".

NSSoxFan
07-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't care if Hillenbrand is a jerk, you don't DFA him when your trying to overtake the Yankees and Red Sox and already have injuries to your lineup. At the very least you deal with him for a few days and make a trade. I think he can still be traded, because he would have to clear waviers and some team might not want to risk that. I don't think the message it sends to his teammates is a good one too. "We are in a middle of a playoff chase, but we're going to cut one of our .300 hitters".

When it gets to the point where your manager allegedly challenged a player to a fist fight, somebody is going to go. It sure as hell isn't going to be the manager...

ewokpelts
07-21-2006, 03:00 PM
When it gets to the point where your manager allegedly challenged a player to a fist fight, somebody is going to go. It sure as hell isn't going to be the manager...that'll happen in october when they're 4th place

NSSoxFan
07-21-2006, 03:11 PM
that'll happen in october when they're 4th place

Pretty much.

:D:

ajismyhero
07-21-2006, 03:13 PM

Didn't everyone say the same thing about AJ 18 months ago.......and we wouldn't have a ring if it wasn't for the game he brings to the park every day. Someone will be lucky to pick up Hillenbrand.

Fenway
07-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Interesting. I never heard anything bad when he was a D'Back, but then again, he's not here anymore, so...?

Yes and he is a native of Mesa, Arizona. Connect the dots.....

MarySwiss
07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
When it gets to the point where your manager allegedly challenged a player to a fist fight, somebody is going to go. It sure as hell isn't going to be the manager...

...unless it's the NBA.

Fenway
07-21-2006, 03:34 PM

I think the last time this happened in baseball was when Billy Martin wanted to fight Reggie Jackson in the dugout at Fenway. Martin would be in the end fired, rehired, fired, rehired, fired, rehired, fired, rehired.

If he hadn't died in the tragic car accident in 1989 he probably would have been Yankees manager a couple more times

RadioheadRocks
07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Please find out the whole story before making wild judgments like that. Hillenbrand was given four days off, he left for his Arizona home after last Thursday night's game to go through the adoption process. Hillenbrand flew back to Toronto under the assumption that he would be in the lineup tonight. The supposed story is that Gibbons decided that he would sit Hillenbrand tonight until after Shea got some fielding practice in order to shake off any rust that may have arisen. (Not an unreasonable request by any stretch of the imagination). Fielding practice time came around, and Shea was nowhere to be found. He along with some other players were too busy playing a clubhouse prank on somebody. During a pre-game closed-door team meeting. Gibbons lost it on Hillenbrand. Those two had always had their differences, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Hillenbrand threw a hissy-fit, and refused to come out to the dugout for the game. Consequently, JP had to DFA him and get rid of the problem before it escalated too far.

Thanks for the info, although I'll bet that like anything else there are three sides to this story,,, Hillenbrand's, Gibbons' and the Truth.

RadioheadRocks
07-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Hillenbrand to Giants in three player deal: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/07/22/giants.hillenbrand.ap/index.html

fquaye149
07-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Didn't everyone say the same thing about AJ 18 months ago.......and we wouldn't have a ring if it wasn't for the game he brings to the park every day. Someone will be lucky to pick up Hillenbrand.
a.) AJ had ONE teammate say something bad about him: Bret Tomko, who is a notorious bitch/crybaby. While players on OPPOSING teams hated him, his teammates generally had nothing but positive things to say.

b.) AJ has played for 3 teams in the past, what? Seven years? The first time he changed teams it was because

i.) The Twins have a limited payroll, they had Joe Mauer coming up to replace AJ and AJ was arbitration eligible

ii.) THEY GOT FRANCISCO LIRIANO AND JOE NATHAN IN RETURN

the second time it was because

i.) Tomko is a bitch

ii.) Sabean was probably salty over that arbitration deal.

iirc he hasn't changed teams since. Hillenbrand hasn't stuck with a team for more than, what, a year, DESPITE being a .300 hitting 3B with above average defensive skills.

Now he gets cut by a team in contention while being one of the only .300 hitters. Is JP Ricciardi a moron? Maybe. More likely though is that Shea Hillenbrand is a huge bitch who sucks his thumb because no one "congratulated him on adopting a child" and refused to participate in drills his coach asked him to.

Maybe a team will be lucky to pick him up. A team like the Cubs, for who Hillenbrand will be the difference between finishing 5th and 4th b/c a team like that doesn't depend on their players not being huge *******s.

edit: did you read this ****?:

" Earlier Wednesday, Hillenbrand wrote "play for yourself" on a board the Blue Jays use to post batting practice times. He later wrote the "ship was sinking" and Gibbons confronted him."...from http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525630

yeah..sounds like some team's about to pick themselves up a bargain LO ****ING L

fquaye149
07-22-2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the info, although I'll bet that like anything else there are three sides to this story,,, Hillenbrand's, Gibbons' and the Truth.

Given what I've read about HIllenbrand, I would have to assume "Gibbons'" and the "The Truth" are pretty much the same story...

Especially since I see ESPN the Network pretty much taking HIllenbrand's side

TDog
07-22-2006, 12:04 PM
I think the last time this happened in baseball was when Billy Martin wanted to fight Reggie Jackson in the dugout at Fenway. Martin would be in the end fired, rehired, fired, rehired, fired, rehired, fired, rehired.

If he hadn't died in the tragic car accident in 1989 he probably would have been Yankees manager a couple more times

In 1969, while managing the Minnesota Twins, Billy Martin beat up Dave Boswell at a Detroit bar. Boswell won 20 games that year. The Twins won the division. I have read the fight left Boswell in need of 20 stitches and Martin in need of seven.

southside rocks
07-22-2006, 12:42 PM
a.) AJ had ONE teammate say something bad about him: Bret Tomko, who is a notorious bitch/crybaby. While players on OPPOSING teams hated him, his teammates generally had nothing but positive things to say.

b.) AJ has played for 3 teams in the past, what? Seven years? The first time he changed teams it was because

i.) The Twins have a limited payroll, they had Joe Mauer coming up to replace AJ and AJ was arbitration eligible

ii.) THEY GOT FRANCISCO LIRIANO AND JOE NATHAN IN RETURN

the second time it was because

i.) Tomko is a bitch

ii.) Sabean was probably salty over that arbitration deal.

iirc he hasn't changed teams since. Hillenbrand hasn't stuck with a team for more than, what, a year, DESPITE being a .300 hitting 3B with above average defensive skills.

Now he gets cut by a team in contention while being one of the only .300 hitters. Is JP Ricciardi a moron? Maybe. More likely though is that Shea Hillenbrand is a huge bitch who sucks his thumb because no one "congratulated him on adopting a child" and refused to participate in drills his coach asked him to.

Maybe a team will be lucky to pick him up. A team like the Cubs, for who Hillenbrand will be the difference between finishing 5th and 4th b/c a team like that doesn't depend on their players not being huge *******s.

edit: did you read this ****?:

" Earlier Wednesday, Hillenbrand wrote "play for yourself" on a board the Blue Jays use to post batting practice times. He later wrote the "ship was sinking" and Gibbons confronted him."...from http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2525630

yeah..sounds like some team's about to pick themselves up a bargain LO ****ING L

Good post.

Hillenbrand will fit in real well on the Giants; that team has the biggest whiniest crybaby of all as its centerpiece. Sounds like a good fit for Shea.

AZChiSoxFan
07-25-2006, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the clarification to set some folks straight. Shea has played for 3 teams now (not counting the Giants) and has been a cancer in all 3 clubhouses.

AZChiSoxFan
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM

Mary, don't know if you read the Republic, but in Joseph Reaves' regular Sunday column, he rippped Hillenbrand.

I remeber the year the D-backs traded him in the offseason. It seemed odd to me at the time becuase they were very intent on getting rid of the guy, despite the fact that he had just had a very nice season. It all makes sense now.

DaleJRFan
07-25-2006, 03:54 PM
I once knew a guy named Shea, and he was a complete ********. It must be something about that name...... :o:

MarySwiss
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Mary, don't know if you read the Republic, but in Joseph Reaves' regular Sunday column, he rippped Hillenbrand.

I remeber the year the D-backs traded him in the offseason. It seemed odd to me at the time becuase they were very intent on getting rid of the guy, despite the fact that he had just had a very nice season. It all makes sense now.

Yeah, I posted that before Reaves's column came out. And I thought the same thing when the D'Backs traded him.

And boy, did Reaves EVER rip him! Yikes!