PDA

View Full Version : Ranger

ClaudelSleptHere
07-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Has anyone here ever heard Chris Rongi disagree with anything the Sox have done? I mean, I appreciate his enthusiasm, but really...........

0o0o0
07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Once. No, maybe twice.

Yeah, twice.

kevingrt
07-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Once. No, maybe twice.

Yeah, twice.

Sorry zero times.

0o0o0
07-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Sorry zero times.

Yeah I know. I really can't listen to him.

CLR01
07-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Has anyone here ever heard Chris Rongi disagree with anything the Sox have done? I mean, I appreciate his enthusiasm, but really...........

I don't remember Dave Wills being very critical of the Sox either.

Viva Medias B's
07-19-2006, 09:50 PM
In contrast to Ranger Rongey, I went to Mike Shannon's restaurant after the Cardinal game last night where KTRS does the postgame show. There, the show's host was questioning why Tony LaRussa left Jason Marquis in the game as long as he did. Marquis got shelled by the Braves, giving up runs in double figures.

BainesHOF
07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
As the losses come more frequently, Ranger is sounding worse and worse. He's having a hard time with critical calls, and is starting to sound silly at times.

TornLabrum
07-19-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't remember Dave Wills being very critical of the Sox either.

Or Bryan Dolgin.

32nd&Wallace
07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't remember Dave Wills being very critical of the Sox either.I distinctly remember Wills getting on callers in 02 and 03 who would go off on Jerry Manuel.

SpartanSoxFan
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think any of the radio Postgame hosts the Sox have had in the past could afford to be critical. I wouldn't be suprised if Dave Wills, Bryan Dolgin and Chris Rongey all were made aware that they are employed by the White Sox "Flagship" station and are more or less Uncle Jerry's mouthpiece.

twsoxfan5
07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
I think he is trying to sound positive so he is not accused of being a Cardinal fan. I dont think he is that bad, but I did wonder why they hired a Cardinal fan in the first place. At least Dolgin and Wills were Sox fans.

wdelaney72
07-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm sure this is obvious, but somehow I'm not gettng his nickname of "Ranger". I've heard MANY people call him this all season, but I still don't know why. Could someone please explain?

Procol Harum
07-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Dissent and open-minded critique is not exactly the most cultivated attribute in White Sox broadcast personnel--see Hawk, DJ, Farmio, Singleton, etc., etc.

If he has any knowledge of the long-established circle-the-wagons attitude at Sox hq he'd be well-advised to think happy thoughts if he wants to keep a pretty sweet radio gig...

daveeym
07-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Or Bryan Dolgin. Is it really the pre/post game guy's job to commentate and criticize? For the most part I have to imagine it's 99% scripted.

07-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I hate him...he constantly rips callers for giving their opinions, he can give it, but can't seem to take it

hi im skot
07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I hate him...he constantly rips callers for giving their opinions, he can give it, but can't seem to take it

There are a lot of idiots calling up and offering their opinions.

I don't blame him one bit.

southside rocks
07-20-2006, 10:48 AM
...he constantly rips callers for giving their opinions, he can give it, but can't seem to take it
I too think he does this, and it's not just the idiots he cuts off. In fact, he tends to cut off the more analytical callers. He comes across as really defensive when he does that, and I stopped listening to his show about a month ago. Now when the game's over, I turn off the radio.

I can take a certain amount of nonsense from the broadcast crews, Hawk/DJ and Farmer/Singleton, because all of those guys are former players. They know what they're talking about, even if they're talking goofy sometimes. Rongey is just a sportswriter-wannabe, IMO, and he adds nothing to my enjoyment of the game broadcast.

TornLabrum
07-20-2006, 11:38 AM

I mostly get to hear the postgame show when I'm driving home from games, so my sample is limited. However, most of the callers he's ripped when I've been listening deserved it.

BainesHOF
07-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Lately Ranger has waded far too deep when talking baseball mechanics. Frankly, there's been a few times lately where he's sounded like one of his wacko callers. I can't believe he even ventures into trying to talk like a pitching coach or batting instructor.

GoSox2K3
07-20-2006, 12:03 PM
I'm sure this is obvious, but somehow I'm not gettng his nickname of "Ranger". I've heard MANY people call him this all season, but I still don't know why. Could someone please explain?

I sort of assumed it was just a play on his last name "Rongey". But I haven't heard anything about its origins.

CHISOXFAN13
07-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Lately Ranger has waded far too deep when talking baseball mechanics. Frankly, there's been a few times lately where he's sounded like one of his wacko callers. I can't believe he even ventures into trying to talk like a pitching coach or batting instructor.

He talks to Cooper daily. And those conversations sometimes last far longer than what you here. Take that for what you will.

BainesHOF
07-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Unbelievable. Ranger just bought the story of a postgame caller that his dad has attended 153 straight victories.

MrRoboto83
07-23-2006, 07:33 PM
There are a lot of idiots calling up and offering their opinions.

I don't blame him one bit.

I agree, if he was as negative as some of these callers have been the wheels would fall off the postgame show. It has been amusing listening to some of these people call in.

SouthSide_HitMen
07-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Or Bryan Dolgin.

The White Sox could always bring in Jesse Rogers and Bruce Levine if negativity is what the fans want.

I listen to many games on the radio :o: and usually leave the post game show on.

Chris was critical on Friday evening questioning several moves by Ozzie. In fairness they get a lot of morons calling. I don't know if that is better for ratings or the bulk of who calls in - even after wins people are dark clouds and make ignorant observations / suggestions and are what Bump34 would call Drillrods.

He is an employee of the club and isn't any worse of a homer or an apologist than the TV crew. I'd rather listen to the complete Ozzie press conference and interviews with players / coaches than hear call in nonsense but I am sure everyone is busy after the game looking to go out / back home or leave for the next town.

ChiSoxRowand
07-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Chris Rongey sucks. Every single loss he tries to spin it into something positive. I don't expect him to be too negative, but geez.

TornLabrum
07-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Chris Rongey sucks. Every single loss he tries to spin it into something positive. I don't expect him to be too negative, but geez.

Oh, yes, it's ever so much better when each loss becomes the end of the world, as we've seen in some of the really fabulous postgame threads around here for the past week or so.

ws05champs
07-24-2006, 08:59 AM
I find Rongey's show boring and superficial. It would be great if he had interviews with real baseball people (once he had Singleton on the show and it was good) but most of the time it is just him repeating himself or taking calls from listeners. These usually consist of "I have Southside Joe on the car phone. Southside Joe what did you think of tonight's game?" "I thought they did good." "Well Southside Joe, I do too."

SoxFan78
07-24-2006, 09:02 AM
I find Rongey's show boring and superficial. It would be great if he had interviews with real baseball people (once he had Singleton on the show and it was good) but most of the time it is just him repeating himself or taking calls from listeners. These usually consist of "I have Southside Joe on the car phone. Southside Joe what did you think of tonight's game?" "I thought they did good." "Well Southside Joe, I do too."

And don't forget. If you completly agree with Rongey's views that night, he will put you on hold and give you some tickets, or some sort of VIP pass.

I dont want him to be a dark cloud, but I would like him to be realistic sometimes.

jdm2662
07-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Most home team annoucers are pretty much told not to be so negative/rip the organization on the air. Hawk has stated this in the past. Notice how Hawk doesn't dis the team unless it's pretty much evident the player/coach is on his merry way (ie Jerry Manuel in 2003).

JohnBasedowYoda
07-24-2006, 10:31 AM
I've heard him on a few post game shows displeased with execution, that's about it.

greygoose
07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
After a Sunday scrubs roster loss with Ozuna botching plays in left field:

Moose: "Haven't you ever had a bad day at the office?"

I wanted to tear my hair out.

nlentz88
07-24-2006, 12:55 PM
These usually consist of "I have Southside Joe on the car phone. Southside Joe what did you think of tonight's game?" "I thought they did good." "Well Southside Joe, I do too."

Ha! Nice!

StatHead21
07-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Nothing wrong with criticism, as long as its smart.

Erik The Red
07-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh, yes, it's ever so much better when each loss becomes the end of the world, as we've seen in some of the really fabulous postgame threads around here for the past week or so.
Ahh yes, that's precisely what ChiSoxRowand was advocating...

miker
07-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Sucking up is the key to long-term employment in the radio industry...although most of the time I like how he handles the post-game show.