PDA

View Full Version : Optimistic or Pessimistic

kevingrt
07-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I know it's off a bad game, but just wondering how the WSI ship is doin'?

NSSoxFan
07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I know it's off a bad game, but just wondering how the WSI ship is doin'?

I'm optimistic, very optimistic.

Our pitching is going through a rough spot, hopefully that trend is changing with Garland's good start, plus the good part of Javy's outing tonight. I see our pitching coming around in the later part of this month and for the rest of the season.

HawkDJ
07-19-2006, 09:56 PM
Uh, I'm pretty sure WSI 95% of the time is pessimistic.

Edward
07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm optimistic, but worried. Hopefully they can get through this rough time and run through the last 2 months of the season. Just bought some tickets for Sept. 18-20 in case it comes down to it.

SiderSouth
07-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm both.

Yes, I know it seems impossible to be both, but I'm optimistic because I feel good that our SP is going to turn it around, and I just think our O needs to get back in the Cell.

Right now, I'm feeling pessimistic because that was just a bad, bad game. We did like NOTHING. I felt like it was 2003 all over again, we did nothing but swing, swing, swing for the fences, did nothing else fundamentally, and it was just a ugly game for me to watch. I hope we can take tomorrow's as well, and then sweep the homestand.

bluestar
I'm always cautiously optimistic, or I wouldn't bother following baseball every year.

BeviBall!
Optimistic about the Sox. Pessimistic about CBS' fall lineup.

Timmy D's
07-19-2006, 10:07 PM
We'll pick up a game tomorrow as we go 2 of 3. We will divison in the end anyways. I'm an optimist.

Bobbo35
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
I am extremely optimistic because this team has the tools. When they are on, they are great. They shoot theirselves in the foot too much, which they did not do last year. They iron the little things out and they will be fine.

southside rocks
07-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Optimistic -- for the series, for the season, for this team.

What's that saying: worrying never improves tomorrow and it always ruins today. :D:

Soxfanspcu11
07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
100% OPTIMISTIC.

Crappy game, it happens.

Vasquez is an issue, will be dealt with, have full faith in Kenny. Don't know if a trade is the solution or to beat him over the head with a bat until he no longer throws hanging breaking balls.

We will get them tommorow, 2/3 in Detroit, and coming home, works for me!

MarySwiss
07-19-2006, 10:13 PM
We will win the division.
We will beat Boston in the ALDS.
We will beat the Blue Jays in the ALCS.
We will beat--whoever--in the World Series.

0o0o0
07-19-2006, 10:22 PM
As frustrated as I get after a loss, I'm still optimistic. This team is waaaaaaay too good to not be.

TaylorStSox
07-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm optimistic because I still believe in our pitching. With that said, we haven't been playing solid, pro baseball lately. Meaning, there are too many bad defensive plays, baserunning errors, and poor situational hitting. They just don't have the swagger right now. When the starters pick it up, and take a little pressure off the rest of the team, these guys will be back on track.

oeo
07-19-2006, 10:35 PM
The pitching rotation has struggled, but it's not bad. I'm very optimistic, and can't wait until the rotation starts rolling because all the pessimism is pissing me off.

SOXSINCE'70
07-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Optomistic about the team's offense.
The pitching?? Well,that's another story.
Don Cooper has some work to do with a few pupils.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-19-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm still optimistic that the pitching will come around and I trust in Kenny. Right now however, I'm going to drown my sorrow in a pound of chocolate.

cbotnyse
07-19-2006, 10:55 PM
My glass is half full. Games like tonight happen. Javy made a bad pitch, cost us the game.

I like where we are right now. If we play to our potenial we will, at the very least, go deep in the playoffs, last year proved that. I'm very optimistic.

JB98
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Optimistic. We'll get going again. We had a stretch earlier this year where we lost seven out of 10. We followed that up with a 23-9 winning streak. Our next winning streak will be longer than this losing streak.

jenn2080
07-19-2006, 11:30 PM
I optimistically hate Javiar Vazquez. As for the rest I dont doubt we can kick some ass tomorrow with Jose. I do not want to see Rob nor Widger out there

DSpivack
07-19-2006, 11:30 PM
Every time I have a hint of feeling pessimistic, I watch this:http://www.bluefoot.tv/espn1/

Because this is not just another Sox team that is going down the stretch with question marks, wondering how we'll do or if we'll make it. This is not 2000 or 2003 or 2004. This is not 1983 or 1993. And most importantly, this is not 2005. We are the defending champs. This year is just different. If you told me that many people would be pessimistic, when it's July 19 and we're 24 games over .500 and have the 2nd best record in baseball, I'd tell you you're crazy.

It may sound corny, but enjoy this folks, whether we defend, or even if not. I doubt the Yankees make grown men cry when they win the series, for them it seems more of a moment of exhaltation and relief than one of sheer exasperation and pure joy.

Anyone feeling down or pessimistic or worried about our bullpen or starting pitching, or heck even Brian or Widger, watch the World Series DVD or relive last October's moments again. If that doesn't cheer you up, I don't know what will.

Go Sox.

soxfan65
07-19-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm optomistic. I think the sox can make the playoffs, and once you're there, anything is possible. It's a whole new season.:bandance: :bandance:

HawkDJ
07-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Every time I have a hint of feeling pessimistic, I watch this:http://www.bluefoot.tv/espn1/

Wow, the really works. I've seen it a ton of times but haven't watched it in a while. Brought tears to the ol eyes.

kevingrt
07-20-2006, 12:05 AM
I optimistically hate Javiar Vazquez. As for the rest I dont doubt we can kick some ass tomorrow with Jose. I do not want to see Rob nor Widger out there

Brilliantly put.

Wow, the really works. I've seen it a ton of times but haven't watched it in a while. Brought tears to the ol eyes.

Ol Eyes, you are not old!

NoShoesJoe
07-20-2006, 12:05 AM
People get pessimistic because, let's face it, we're (mostly) from Chicago. How many times have Chicago teams let us down? I'm optimistic, but, pessimists insulate themselves to ease the pain if the wheels do come off. If you're a pessimist and we win this division, then you expectations have been exceeded, vs. if you're an optimist your expectations have been met. The major difference being the greater upside potential for the pessimist. All things said, though, I'm optimistic. This team is too good and there's way too many games left. Remember it was only last month that the Sox had a 9 game winning streak! Time for a repeat of that.

hawkjt
07-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Would I trade the sox roster for any other in the league? Hell, no.

Just gotta start to really grind. Heard them say on the postgame show that the sox have the least innings in the league out of the bullpen. I say that bodes well for the second half as our bullpen will be fresher in the stretch.

As bad as our starters have been lately they are still inning eaters. But it would be all right with me if ozz has a new rule for javy- after the fifth inning if two guys get on in a row to lead off an inning- javy coming out. or even if their is two out. Have brandon maccarthy ready to come in after the fifth.

NoShoesJoe
07-20-2006, 12:37 AM

Sure does!

pudge
07-20-2006, 12:43 AM

Go Sox.

That is awesome, I remember being so impressed by it on Opening Day.

http://www.bluefoot.tv/movies/SEASON%20OPENER%20MASTERLg_Prog_001.wmv

slobes
07-20-2006, 12:59 AM
I agree with Edward in the sense that I'm optimistic but worried. These past couple weeks/months I've been trying really hard to stay sane, to stay optimistic. It gets really tough though, especially if our starting pitching doesn't turn it around pronto.

thomas35forever
07-20-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm optimistic, but my dad's usually pessimistic. Even though I'm an optimist, I can usually sense when a game like tonight is over, but I love when the Sox come back after I think that!

HerzogVon
07-20-2006, 01:36 AM
People get pessimistic because, let's face it, we're (mostly) from Chicago. How many times have Chicago teams let us down? I'm optimistic, but, pessimists insulate themselves to ease the pain if the wheels do come off. If you're a pessimist and we win this division, then you expectations have been exceeded, vs. if you're an optimist your expectations have been met. The major difference being the greater upside potential for the pessimist. All things said, though, I'm optimistic. This team is too good and there's way too many games left. Remember it was only last month that the Sox had a 9 game winning streak! Time for a repeat of that.

Very well said! Let me add that as a lifelong pessimist, the best thing about it is being proven wrong. So yes, I'm pessimistic. Afterall, repeating is difficult under the best of circumstances.

Last year was magic. Everything that had to go right, did. I just don't see that happening this year. Even if the starting pitching does come around - and it well may - swinging for the fences and waiting for the "Big Sticks" has replaced last season's hustle and grit. The magic just isn't there anymore. Hoping, as always, that I'm wrong.

SpartanSoxFan
07-20-2006, 01:41 AM
I have to agree. Try as I may, I am naturally a pessimist. Does that mean I don't think we have a good team? Not at all. Do I think we have a chance at repeating as World Series Champs? Definetely. But I agree with HerzogVon in his assesment that last year had that feel of 'magic' to it that this year, at least, so far, has lacked. As we go down the road, it seems like we are getting further and further from the "Grinder" rules that defined the team and season last year. Who knows...I honestly didn't think the team would make the playoffs toward the end of September last year, and look what happened. I was proved wrong. Hopefully, I will be proved wrong again.

fquaye149
07-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure WSI 95% of the time is pessimistic.

Sometimes the vocal minority can convince the populace that they are the prevalent viewpoint simply by refusing to shut the **** up

fquaye149
07-20-2006, 01:52 AM
We will win the division.
We will beat Boston in the ALDS.
We will beat the Blue Jays in the ALCS.
We will beat--whoever--in the World Series.

toronto? who are you, mary, tom verducci?

oeo
07-20-2006, 02:36 AM
Even if the starting pitching does come around - and it well may - swinging for the fences and waiting for the "Big Sticks" has replaced last season's hustle and grit.

I totally disagree with that. They haven't been "swinging for the fences" all year. This team can still do those little things, but it usually doesn't happen until Ozzie starts getting on them.

Ozzie is not a guy that will let this team live on the homerun. If you've noticed, when they need to do those little things right (NL games), they did them. I don't know why they only do it and can only do it sometimes, but I've seen them do it. They really need to get back into doing those little things right, and doing them everyday, not just sometimes.

Bill Naharodny
07-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Optimistic about the Sox. Pessimistic about CBS' fall lineup.

Love this.

Thome25
07-20-2006, 06:48 AM
Still optimistic. One game vs the Tigers with Vazquez pitching isn't going to get me down. I still know we have a great team. The pitching will come back around and we have a great lineup too.

Law11
07-20-2006, 08:20 AM
I'll be optimistic if we make the playoffs because that would mean our pitching showed its true colors..

But pessimism is always part of it living in this city watching so many hartbreaks year after year.. I mean 1 magical unforgettable season that i will take to my grave with me doesnt stop the fact that I'm living in the now and
we have some questions in the now with certain aspects of this team.

I wear my alligiance to this team everyday , have had my home vandalized
because of showing my team spirit but that doesnt mean I cant get upset when they have a lousy day.

I mean I'm a realist... Not a Cub fan...

fquaye149
07-20-2006, 10:33 AM
I'll be optimistic if we make the playoffs because that would mean our pitching showed its true colors..

But pessimism is always part of it living in this city watching so many hartbreaks year after year.. I mean 1 magical unforgettable season that i will take to my grave with me doesnt stop the fact that I'm living in the now and
we have some questions in the now with certain aspects of this team.

I wear my alligiance to this team everyday , have had my home vandalized
because of showing my team spirit but that doesnt mean I cant get upset when they have a lousy day.

I mean I'm a realist... Not a Cub fan...

I don't know...sounds pretty pessimistic to me.

"We've had our hearts broken in the past, so therefore I expect it to happen every year"?

Just enjoy the ride...we're playing .600+ ball even without "showing our true colors"

Jurr
07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
This team doesn't have to pitch a shutout every game. They can pitch when they really need to bear down.

No worries. I'm just enjoying the ride. Most baseball fans would love to have this team, and they're a joy to watch. Sports are for entertainment, and this team has entertained my ass off.

If Jose Contreras wins tonight, the Sox win the series and pretty much do what they've been doing all year save a couple of instances. This team is going to be there in October. Period.

spiffie
07-20-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm very optimistic about our chances if we make the playoffs. In the playoffs the team becomes tighter and some of the weaker pieces are not as relevant. I worry a little about some of the weaker pieces possibly dragging the whole down over the course of the 162 games. But so far we've been able to survive, and I see no reason to believe that's going to change. But I feel like if we make it to the playoffs get out of our way, because our Best Nine is able to beat any other team's Best Nine every day of the week, and our Big Four has shown their playoff mettle. That said, I'm still saving my money for playoff tickets this year.

mccoydp
07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm mostly optimistic about the lineup; .300 averages almost across the board, with awesome power and decent speed.

I'm pessimistic about the starting pitching, with the exception of Jose and Jon.

Don't read too much into any of this, though, because I'm a pessimist by nature in real life. I figure if I constantly expect the worst in everything, then I'll be pleasantly surprised when things go well.

I try to keep any "dark cloudish" thoughts and/or comments off this board and keep them to myself.