PDA

View Full Version : Veeck Park in Hinsdale

theoakwoody
07-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey,

I didn't even realize this till last Saturday when I was playing Softball at my brother's birthday party but the park we were at is named Veeck field. It's just east of 294 on 47th by the train tracks. I saw the sign when I drove in but I thought it just might have been a rich relative or something that had given money considering the Veeck's lived in Hinsdale. Anyways, there was a plaque by the ball field that had some information about Bill Veeck Sr. and Jr. I thought that was pretty cool that they named a park after them even though this park is kind of in an obscure place out of the way but it has a skate park. So maybe they'll make a "Comiskey Park" next because I know that he also lived in Hinsdale back in the day.

Johnny Mostil
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey,

I didn't even realize this till last Saturday when I was playing Softball at my brother's birthday party but the park we were at is named Veeck field. It's just east of 294 on 47th by the train tracks. I saw the sign when I drove in but I thought it just might have been a rich relative or something that had given money considering the Veeck's lived in Hinsdale. Anyways, there was a plaque by the ball field that had some information about Bill Veeck Sr. and Jr. I thought that was pretty cool that they named a park after them even though this park is kind of in an obscure place out of the way but it has a skate park. So maybe they'll make a "Comiskey Park" next because I know that he also lived in Hinsdale back in the day.

That's cool. I'm fairly sure the Comiskey family still has some connection to Hinsdale (e.g., State. Sen. Patti Bellock, Charles Comiskey's granddaughter). I know Veeck started in Hinsdale and ended up in Hyde Park; I'm less sure (i.e., I may be wrong) the Comiskeys started in Hyde Park before ending up in Hinsdale . . .

ssirish317
07-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Its actually on the west side of 294. Springrock is the park on the east side.

Oh, and I think it's Comiskey's grandson that still lives in Hinsdale. I remember him being interviewed when the Sox unveiled the statue of The Old Roman.

FielderJones
07-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Home fields for my son's soccer club. Nice baseball field, and as mentioned, a skate park. It's a nice little gem in east Hinsdale.

Johnny Mostil
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Its actually on the west side of 294. Springrock is the park on the east side.

Oh, and I think it's Comiskey's grandson that still lives in Hinsdale. I remember him being interviewed when the Sox unveiled the statue of The Old Roman.

I interviewed him for a newspaper when the old park closed. But that was 16 years ago so I wasn't sure about his whereabouts today. (Bellock I know is still in the state senate and representing the district that includes Hinsdale.)

(EDIT: I know no such thing about Bellock. She's a state rep. D'OH!)

sodfatherjunior
07-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Good old Veeck Park, I used to go on runs by there all the time, one time I stopped in at the park to stretch a few years back and noticed the sign too and had the same reaction. Ever since then when I run by there I make sure to slap the sign for good luck.