PDA

View Full Version : Game tonight blacked out on ESPN?

SpartanSoxFan
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Just curious if the game tonight will be blacked out on ESPN in the Chicago area...thanks for any input.

digdagdug23
07-19-2006, 04:31 PM
It shouldn't be, since we have no control over whether or not it is sold out.

Isn't this the reason for blackouts?

Fenway
07-19-2006, 04:35 PM
It shouldn't be, since we have no control over whether or not it is sold out.

Isn't this the reason for blackouts?

no the ESPN blackout is to protect the local team broadcast so it probably will be blacked out.

At least it won't be Boston or New York as they already played :tongue:

QCIASOXFAN
07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I swear if the game is blacked out i'm gonna be so pissed off.

jdm2662
07-19-2006, 04:36 PM
no the ESPN blackout is to protect the local team broadcast so it probably will be blacked out.

At least it won't be Boston or New York as they already played :tongue:

The last time the Sox played on Wed night (vs Texas), they still showed the ESPN game. So, it might not be. I hope not. I could use a break from Hawk tonight...

INSox56
07-19-2006, 04:41 PM
I think it's hit or miss most times...but I hardly believe it'll be on ESPN since it was already scheduled on Comcast. The only ones you can be sure ESPN will aire are the Sunday night games because they're scheduled into the broadcast schedule before/early in the season. Here's to hoping (I like ESPN's picture better, not the broadcasting)

peeonwrigley
07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
ESPN will broadcast in HD and CSN won't (road game)... so I'm hoping the ESPNHD signal is not blacked out.

SpartanSoxFan
07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
I think it's hit or miss most times...but I hardly believe it'll be on ESPN since it was already scheduled on Comcast. The only ones you can be sure ESPN will aire are the Sunday night games because they're scheduled into the broadcast schedule before/early in the season. Here's to hoping (I like ESPN's picture better, not the broadcasting)

I agree, if it were a home game I'd watch it on Comcast without thinking twice. Since its an away game, I prefer the ESPN HD picture over the standard definition Comcast feed.

digdagdug23
07-19-2006, 04:48 PM
I swear if the game is blacked out i'm gonna be so pissed off.

Me too! And God help you when you p*** off Iowa fans. We have combines, and we know how to use them!

Black Jack 29
07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
If ESPN does show the game to our area, will Erin Andrews be in attendance? THAT'S HOT!!!

salty99
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
I bet we end up with ESPN News

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
If you live in Chicago or Detroit and their Suburbs you will get your local broadcast. Every where else will get the ESPN feed.

Kogs35
07-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Wednesday, July 19
7 p.m. Chicago White Sox at Detroit
(CSNC) (FSD)
Viewers in the Chicago and Detroit market areas will see ESPNEWS:

100-air mile radius of Chicago and wherever CSNC is available to cable subscribers: Illinois (except areas near St. Louis), Iowa, most of Indiana and northeastern Missouri and parts of southeastern Wisconsin
100-air mile radius of Detroit and wherever FSD is available to cable subscribers: Michigan, South Bend and Ft. Wayne, IN, Toledo, Ohio and western Ohio

thats from the espn media zone

salty99
07-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Like I said ESPNEWS

MushMouth
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
ESPN will broadcast in HD and CSN won't (road game)... so I'm hoping the ESPNHD signal is not blacked out.

Yeah, they screw us on this everytime...

We'll watch in non-HD because ESPNHD is blacked-out. Seriously weak.

bigsqwert
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
I swear if the game is blacked out i'm gonna be so pissed off.Why would it be blacked out in Iowa?

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Why would it be blacked out in Iowa?
If your in the Comcast Chicago distributed area.

digdagdug23
07-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Why would it be blacked out in Iowa?

Because ESPN hates Iowa.

Seriously, I have no idea why, QCIA and I are close enough to go to games, but not close enough to get WCIU, so that, to me negates a blackout. But then again, what do I know?

ETA- What Beckr said............ :o/

eurotrash35
07-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Because ESPN hates Iowa.

Seriously, I have no idea why, QCIA and I are close enough to go to games, but not close enough to get WCIU, so that, to me negates a blackout. But then again, what do I know?

ETA- What Beckr said............ :o/

The worst was the friday game against the red sox :angry:

Mots09
07-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Glad I bought an HD TV to watch the Red Sox and Yankees every night :(

Eurotrash u going to take care of ESPN tower too?

MarySwiss
07-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, they screw us on this everytime...

We'll watch in non-HD because ESPNHD is blacked-out. Seriously weak.

Are you kidding me? You're pissed because you aren't going to see the game in HD? I'm pretty sure I speak for Sox fans across the country when I ask you if you'd like some cheese with that whine.

This is one of the maybe five or six times a year out-of-state Sox fans actually come out ahead, if watching the Sox on ESPN could be considered as "coming out ahead." So we get it in HD. That's nice, but I'd prefer to see more Sox games televised on WGN year-round.

Edit: Yeah, and I'll be watching it on ESPN tomorrow as well. At 10 am.

MushMouth
07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Are you kidding me? You're pissed because you aren't going to see the game in HD? I'm pretty sure I speak for Sox fans across the country when I ask you if you'd like some cheese with that whine.

This is one of the maybe five or six times a year out-of-state Sox fans actually come out ahead, if watching the Sox on ESPN could be considered as "coming out ahead." So we get it in HD. That's nice, but I'd prefer to see more Sox games televised on WGN year-round.

Edit: Yeah, and I'll be watching it on ESPN tomorrow as well. At 10 am.

Yeah, I'm pissed. I live in Chicago and when HD cameras are at the game, I should be watching in HD. One of the primary reasons for upgrading to HD is for sports, and specifically the Sox.

You could always move to Chicago, or buy MLB Ticket.

In the meantime, I'm going to resume sulking about getting screwed out of an HD broadcast! :mad::redneck

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 05:33 PM
but not close enough to get WCIU,
WCIU is similar to our FOX as WFLD, as its a local, non-cable channel. Whereas I believe with Comcast Sports the country is divided into regions in the country. You just happen to be our region I guess.

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I'm pissed. I live in Chicago and when HD cameras are at the game, I should be watching in HD. One of the primary reasons for upgrading to HD is for sports, and specifically the Sox.

Why would ESPN let Comcast use their video feed. If they were to allow Comcast to use the feed i'm sure all of our cable/satelite bills would go up a little cause ESPN would charge. And before the question is asked the reason your able to watch ESPN feeds of Bear games on ABC is because they are under the same family. Last October when WGN ran the ESPN feed of the SOX/BOSOX playoff series I believe WGN had to pay for that.

Kogs35
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Why would ESPN let Comcast use their video feed. If they were to allow Comcast to use the feed i'm sure all of our cable/satelite bills would go up a little cause ESPN would charge. And before the question is asked the reason your able to watch ESPN feeds of Bear games on ABC is because they are under the same family. Last October when WGN ran the ESPN feed of the SOX/BOSOX playoff series I believe WGN had to pay for that.

no it was part of the mlb tv deal that the local cities playing in that series had to have OTA for first round playoff games on espn. next season will change. if you dont have tbs your screwed.

MarySwiss
07-19-2006, 05:53 PM

You could always move to Chicago, or buy MLB Ticket.

In the meantime, I'm going to resume sulking about getting screwed out of an HD broadcast! :mad::redneck

Tired of saying this: I moved from Chicago after 45 years there. If they fix the weather, I'll be on the first plane back.

I don't know what MLB Ticket is, but I own MLB.TV and both it and MLB Extra Innings are often blacked out here.

Sulk all you want, but count your blessings. At least you get all the games.

CRAW
07-19-2006, 06:14 PM
The worst was the friday game against the red sox :angry:

Oh God! I could have punched something!

I have a funny feeling the game will be blacked out tonight so I'm going over to my bro-in-law's house becuase he has Mediacom (cable) and they don't black out games. That is, if I can get a hold of him.

:mad:

digdagdug23
07-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Oh God! I could have punched something!

I have a funny feeling the game will be blacked out tonight so I'm going over to my bro-in-law's house becuase he has Mediacom (cable) and they don't black out games. That is, if I can get a hold of him.

:mad:

Okay, here's a thought, I have mediacom, as well, so does this mean I will get the game? And, if so, I invite you to drive to Dubuque to watch :wired: QCIA can come, too.

cheezheadsoxfan
07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Me too! And God help you when you p*** off Iowa fans. We have combines, and we know how to use them!

LOL! Love that! We have dairy herds.:smile:

CRAW
07-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Okay, here's a thought, I have mediacom, as well, so does this mean I will get the game? And, if so, I invite you to drive to Dubuque to watch :wired: QCIA can come, too.
Well, by now you know the game was also blacked out on Mediacom. Never, ever do I remember them blacking out games back when I had their cable service. Something seriously needs to be done about these blackouts. Mr. Selig want's more money in MLB, but at the same time, who suffers??? That's right, the fans... Thanks Bud.