PDA

View Full Version : Ball Park Review

onesox
07-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but it is a great "Re"-review of the Cell. Now with the renovations done, the review takes another look at the Park.

http://www.baseballparks.com/USCellular1.asp (http://www.baseballparks.com/USCellular1.asp)

enjoy

tlebar318
07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Still ranks our park as 13th out of 18 new ballparks? This writer needs to lay off the crack pipe....

gbergman
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
we should be around 9 of 18

BigPapaPump
07-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Who cares where it ranks? There's only a couple of key ingredients needed for a good time at the Cell.

Cold Beer.......................Check!
Winning Baseball............Check!

tlebar318
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Who cares where it ranks? There's only a couple of key ingredients needed for a good time at the Cell.

Cold Beer.......................Check!
Winning Baseball............Check!

Agreed but still it is the principal of the thing...
There are not 12 new ballparks better than U.S. Cellular...IMO.

By the way you forgot the Bratwurst.................Check!:D:

SoxFan78
07-19-2006, 01:35 PM
I like the part about tailgating. I havent seen any other tailgating at different ballparks, but I imagine it can't be better then the tailgating at Comiskey.

INSox56
07-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I like the part about tailgating. I havent seen any other tailgating at different ballparks, but I imagine it can't be better then the tailgating at Comiskey.

you can't imagine it cuz it's not possible. I'm so glad to be ST holder so I can tailgate, especially. LOVE it

paciorek1983
07-20-2006, 12:52 AM
Well, at least he does like it now. Which is near a miracle, so I'll take it. I've written to that guy in the past and urged him to come back to the south side to see a game and I'm glad he did.

Thome25
07-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for posting that site!! I thought it was a great read because it gave an in-depth look at the ballpark to those of us who have moved away and haven't been there in a while.:D:

Law11
07-20-2006, 08:03 AM
you can't imagine it cuz it's not possible. I'm so glad to be ST holder so I can tailgate, especially. LOVE it

I thought no place could be as much fun as Milwaukee for tailgating.
We are right there in my opinion..

The only thing I like a little better in Milw are the car spaces are larger
as it was built with this in mind.. and for those who dont want to bring food
but still hang out they have the sausage and brat houses in the parking lots.

On the plus side for us you dont have to walk what seems forever to get to your car like you do in Milwaukee.

salty99
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
They also forgot about the new Scout Seats and restaurant there.

shoelessjoe90
07-20-2006, 08:41 AM
When I've been to Miller Park, there's quite a few people tailgating

KMKsuburbannoise
07-20-2006, 08:54 AM
I like how it said visiting where old comiskey used to be. does he mean the parking lot?

Hitmen77
07-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Still ranks our park as 13th out of 18 new ballparks? This writer needs to lay off the crack pipe....

Yeah, but it's 13th out of 17 parks that are all really good. It's almost like having a class full of A students and making the teacher "rank" them. Someone has to be 13th, even if they are very good.

This is an excellent review. He has a good summary of the improving neighborhood and things to do in the area. This is a far cry from those who still cling to the "Sox Park is in a barren war zone" stereotype.

The main thing I disagree with this guy about is his harsh criticism of the Sox ticket prices. Yeah, I'd like cheaper tickets, but he fails to put this in the context of the Sox playing in the 3rd largest city in America and he fails to mention that prices at the Cell are generally cheaper than his beloved Wrigley Field.

soxinem1
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree that Reinsdorf Field has improved a lot, but some of the newer ballparks of the 90's still dwarf ours. The newer parks learned from our mistakes.

Maybe once all the green seats are put in it will move up another place or two in the writer's rankings, but I personally have no problem with the parks he picks above ours, most if not all are truly magnificent.

Also, Milwaukee has had tailgating for decades.

jackbrohamer
07-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I don't see how "gentrification" of the surrounding neighborhood factors into rating a ballpark. Then again, I'm not a Cub fan....

soxinem1
07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't see how "gentrification" of the surrounding neighborhood factors into rating a ballpark. Then again, I'm not a Cub fan....

It is now common to venture around the neighborhood/city when going to an out-of-town ballpark. Since traveling to ballparks is becoming popular again, I think he is just trying to tell visitors that they have a better expereince than the false rumors of the past. I think he should have stuck with redevelopment and not used 'gentrification', as that and 'up and coming' are two phrases that make me cringe.

paciorek1983
07-20-2006, 10:37 PM
It is now common to venture around the neighborhood/city when going to an out-of-town ballpark. Since traveling to ballparks is becoming popular again, I think he is just trying to tell visitors that they have a better expereince than the false rumors of the past. I think he should have stuck with redevelopment and not used 'gentrification', as that and 'up and coming' are two phrases that make me cringe.

I think the same thing when considering talk about the neighborhood of the ballpark. When you're an out-of-towner, I'd think you'd want to be comfortable with it's surroundings. It makes for a much more pleasurable experience IMO. Hopefully in the long run, it brings more people to the ballpark, which of course, equals more revenue.:smile:

Has anyone heard of any other plans for the neighborhood? I know about the new condos on 35th and Halsted, and of course the Stateway/Park Boulevard project.

Anyone know of any retail/restaurant-bars planned near 35th and State? Anyone investing or know of anyone investing in the neighborhood?

HotelWhiteSox
07-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I remember this idiot, forget his site. He wrote a horrible review about the Cell, and had some racist overtones about the city when he wrote about how scared he was after the game at night. There was a whole thread where everyone emailed him and his defense for some of his points didn't make sense, many contradictions, and he probably updated it now to make up for that.

digdagdug23
07-20-2006, 11:34 PM

But it's kind of like saying that America is the greatest country on earth, without ever going to another country. If you have no comparison, then how can you claim it?

Minute Maid park was an absolute blast when we went to a game there 2 years ago, and Coors field is really very nice. Tailgating at both of these parks is very close to as much fun as the Cell.

Bulls_Fan
07-21-2006, 12:29 AM
New member on this board and had to post here in this thread.

I am a new White Sox fan. Wasn't much of a baseball fan but started dating a huge Sox fan and she got me into them. This season i have gone to about 14 games (never have been to the Cell before this season).

I live in the far Northern burbs close to the Wisconsin border and before this season like a lot of outsiders I had a lot of preconceived notions about the Cell (from what i have heard and read) and the surrounding neighborhood.

Going to so many games I can say with any regard that i absolutely love the Cell and the neighborhood. I wasn't there before some of the remodeling but i can't find a negative thing to say about the stadium. Security is top notch there and don't put up with any funny business.

The neighborhood is perfectly fine. Not once have i felt unsafe in the area. Maybe i'm some naive countryboy or something but i am comfortable walking there as anywhere.

Can anyone make a recommendation on a place to eat before going to the Cell? Looking for more of a restaurant than a bar.

Hitmen77
07-21-2006, 11:32 AM
New member on this board and had to post here in this thread.

I am a new White Sox fan. Wasn't much of a baseball fan but started dating a huge Sox fan and she got me into them. This season i have gone to about 14 games (never have been to the Cell before this season).

I live in the far Northern burbs close to the Wisconsin border and before this season like a lot of outsiders I had a lot of preconceived notions about the Cell (from what i have heard and read) and the surrounding neighborhood.

Going to so many games I can say with any regard that i absolutely love the Cell and the neighborhood. I wasn't there before some of the remodeling but i can't find a negative thing to say about the stadium. Security is top notch there and don't put up with any funny business.

The neighborhood is perfectly fine. Not once have i felt unsafe in the area. Maybe i'm some naive countryboy or something but i am comfortable walking there as anywhere.

Can anyone make a recommendation on a place to eat before going to the Cell? Looking for more of a restaurant than a bar.

:welcome:
I have heard a similar reaction from many other people who have either never been to the Cell before or haven't been there since the early 90s. The ballpark renovations and the neighborhood improvements are really going to help stabilize this franchise for years to come.

Unfortunately, the Sox won't always have a championship-caliber team and having an attractive ballpark and surrounding area will help during future lean years. In the mid-90s, after the novelty of the new park wore off and the Sox slide into mediocrity, the ballpark flaws became painfully obvious. The neighborhood revitilization is coming quicker than I expected. Just a few short years ago on this site, people were asking when urban renewal would reach the Cell.

To answer your last question about restaurants, the one I'm most familiar with is Connie's Pizza on Archer (east of Halsted, west of Chinatown).

skobabe8
07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
I remember this idiot, forget his site. He wrote a horrible review about the Cell, and had some racist overtones about the city when he wrote about how scared he was after the game at night. There was a whole thread where everyone emailed him and his defense for some of his points didn't make sense, many contradictions, and he probably updated it now to make up for that.

This is the drillrod I got into it with big time last year after I read his original review of USCF.
This latest review sounded like it was based on his own original thoughts instead of tired perceptions like his last one.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49116&highlight=joe+mock

Hitmen77
07-21-2006, 04:17 PM
This is the drillrod I got into it with big time last year after I read his original review of USCF.
This latest review sounded like it was based on his own original thoughts instead of tired perceptions like his last one.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49116&highlight=joe+mock

I say kudos to you and other Sox fans for getting on his case about this and getting him to some out to the Cell again.

I'm guessing he doesn't live near Chicago and he has 30 parks to review, so I credit Sox fans for getting the post-renovations Cell on this guy's radar screen and getting him to make another visit. He obviously thought highly of the ballpark and neighborhood this time around.

CRAW
07-21-2006, 04:27 PM
His contest revolves around the White Sox - kinda cool IMO.

http://www.baseballparks.com/Contest40.asp