PDA

View Full Version : KW: "Sweeney and Fields are untouchable"

MadetoOrta
07-19-2006, 08:40 AM
Just read a quote in the Daily Herald from KW stating Josh Fields and Ryan Sweeney are untouchable. KW predicted Fields as an all-star player in the major leagues. Personally, I'm glad. Home grown talent + affordable = more money to pay the core of the team.

Milw
07-19-2006, 09:03 AM
I'm not advocating we trade Fields ... but we already have an All-Star caliber third baseman at the major league level.

I know the Knights have played Fields in the outfield some lately, but is that a viable option? Or is KW basically conceding that Crede will walk once he's a free agent?

Sxy Mofo
07-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm not advocating we trade Fields ... but we already have an All-Star caliber third baseman at the major league level.

I know the Knights have played Fields in the outfield some lately, but is that a viable option? Or is KW basically conceding that Crede will walk once he's a free agent?

I thought I heard something about us getting fields some outfield time? Perhaps I completely made that up, but I thought I read that somewhere.

downstairs
07-19-2006, 09:16 AM

Crede's agent is Scott Boras. 'Nuff said.

sox1970
07-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I thought I heard something about us getting fields some outfield time? Perhaps I completely made that up, but I thought I read that somewhere.

They'll try to re-sign Crede. If they sign him, they'll find another position for Fields. Left field seems to be the logical choice.

I'm curious what they'll do with Sweeney if they move Fields to left. You know the Sox will want to keep Dye for at least another year. Maybe Dye is gone after 2007, and Sweeney will be in right in 2008, when he'll still be only 23.

To me, Anderson will be a staple in center for years to come.

sox1970
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM

I think that's overrated. If the numbers are there, he'll sign with the White Sox.

FielderJones
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
I think that's overrated. If the numbers are there, he'll sign with the White Sox.

Somehow I don't anticipate Bora$ asking for reasonable numbers. But that's just me.

Sxy Mofo
07-19-2006, 09:22 AM
They'll try to re-sign Crede. If they sign him, they'll find another position for Fields. Left field seems to be the logical choice.

I'm curious what they'll do with Sweeney if they move Fields to left. You know the Sox will want to keep Dye for at least another year. Maybe Dye is gone after 2007, and Sweeney will be in right in 2008, when he'll still be only 23.

Ok, so I didn't completely make that position switch up.

IMO, your scenario would be completely ideal... re-sign crede, fields position switch to left, Dye here another couple years (but sweeney replacing him eventually), and BA the man in center for years to come.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2006, 09:25 AM
There are several possibilities which are not mutually exclusive:

1. Negotiating ploy with other teams - KW wants to drive up their trade values;

2. Negotiating ploy with Scott Boras - KW indirectly wants to pressure Crede to sign a long-term deal;

3. KW wants to keep his options open for the future;

4. KW envisions one or both of them playing important roles on the Sox in 2007 or 2008.

Tekijawa
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
I remember when Reed and Borchard were untouchable too...

Slide49
07-19-2006, 09:30 AM
The other reason to keep Fields is it makes Boras not have us by the balls completely in negotiations. If we let go of Fields we have no viable replacement for Crede at third. If he knows that he'll take us to the bank. We might get a halfway decent deal if he thinks that he needs us at least partially as much as we need him.

I don't know if that makes sense but it did to me when I thought of it??

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2006, 09:33 AM

IMO, your scenario would be completely ideal... re-sign crede, fields position switch to left, Dye here another couple years (but sweeney replacing him eventually), and BA the man in center for years to come.

This would give the Sox a young, inexpensive yet productive outfield for several years, allowing them to focus their resources on retaining a core of starting pitchers while paying big bucks to Konerko and Crede. The only problem with this is that who leads off?

Owens is the only player in the Sox system that projects as a possible replacement for Pods. But where would he play? So, the Sox would have to find a leadoff hitter who could play second or shortstop, since they almost certainly won't find a leadoff hitter who is a catcher (not unless they find a young Biggio or Kendall clone), the corners would be occupied by PK and Crede, and Thome presumably would DH. Moreover, from what I have read, Valido and Getz don't really project as leadoff hitters at this point.

What I see as a possibility is that when Thome's deal is up, if he retires or signs elsewhere, the Sox might platoon Paulie and Fields between first base and DH. This leaves left field open for a leadoff hitter. Or, when Thome retires/leaves, find an uberfast guy to DH and lead off and put Fields in left.

Zisk77
07-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Also keeping Fields gives us flexibility/insurance.

1. Crede walks fields to 3b

2. Dye walks when contract us Fields to Of.

3. Konerko leaves when contract is up Fields to 1b.

4. Podsednik?

fquaye149
07-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I remember when Reed and Borchard were untouchable too...

right...but then things changed and they were no longer untouchable.

All this means is that they won't be dealt this year, most likely. I guarantee you if Houston is willing to give up Oswalt for a Sweeney/Fields package, Kenny would change his mind about "untouchable." But the fact remains, that's not going to happen, and look for them to be with the Sox in 2007 be it at the minor league or major level.

TheOldRoman
07-19-2006, 10:26 AM

1. Negotiating ploy with other teams - KW wants to drive up their trade values

Yep, Thats what it's all about.

Ol' No. 2
07-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Just read a quote in the Daily Herald from KW stating Josh Fields and Ryan Sweeney are untouchable. KW predicted Fields as an all-star player in the major leagues. Personally, I'm glad. Home grown talent + affordable = more money to pay the core of the team.Translation: I don't have to make a deal, so if you want one of these guys, don't bother calling with a low-ball offer.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Also, both guys are relatively young, especially Sweeney. There is nothing at all wrong with letting them hone their skills for another year in the minors. There's no reason to trade them if no other team is willing to send the Sox useful major league talent in return.

07-19-2006, 10:36 AM

I don't think Fields would be seeing outfield time if KW thought Crede was going to walk.

The Sox still control Crede after this year. Best case scenerio would be if the Sox could get a 3 year extension agreed with him and his evil agent.

sox1970
07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
This would give the Sox a young, inexpensive yet productive outfield for several years, allowing them to focus their resources on retaining a core of starting pitchers while paying big bucks to Konerko and Crede. The only problem with this is that who leads off?

Owens is the only player in the Sox system that projects as a possible replacement for Pods. But where would he play?

Forget about Owens. He's not in the plans as an everyday player. I think they would have to let Uribe go, and find a shortstop that could leadoff. I could see a lineup like this 2008:

new shortstop
Iguchi-2B
Thome-DH
Konerko-1B
Pierzynski-C
Crede-3B
Anderson-CF
Fields-LF
Sweeney-RF

But enough about 2008, let's win tonight.

Randar68
07-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Yes, you did. He's not played a single inning of OF in professional baseball and we won't the rest of this year, IMO.

MeteorsSox4367
07-19-2006, 10:42 AM
I agree with the prior posters - beat the Tigers and then we'll think about the future.

That said, a future outfield of Fields in left, BA in center and Sweeney in right could be pretty damn good.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-19-2006, 10:43 AM
As for the fear of losing Crede, I think people underestimate the 'team' aspect of Crede. I'm sure that having AJ, PK signed to longer deals may allow KW to counteract Boras since in the end, it is the player that makes the choice.

spiffie
07-19-2006, 10:54 AM
Forget about Owens. He's not in the plans as an everyday player. I think they would have to let Uribe go, and find a shortstop that could leadoff. I could see a lineup like this 2008:

new shortstop
Iguchi-2B
Thome-DH
Konerko-1B
Pierzynski-C
Crede-3B
Anderson-CF
Fields-LF
Sweeney-RF

But enough about 2008, let's win tonight.
I think people are a bit quick to cast Dye off into oblivion. At the start of the 2008 season he will be 34 years old. If his production stays high the next year and a half I have to think the Sox would look to keep him around for another 2-3 years, since if Thome retires you could transition Dye to a DH role if necessary.

DSpivack
07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I always love it when fans are quick to pencil in prospects into a lineup that is two or more years away. That's a long ways off. In 2004, the Sox featured Ben Davis, Willie Harris, Jose Valentin, Carl Everett, Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, Aaron Rowand, Frank Thomas, Esteban Loaiza, Scott Schoeneweis, Damaso Marte, Shingo Takatsu, Cliff Politte, and Jon Adkins. All of those guys are gone now, and that was just two years ago. 2008 is a LONG way away.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2006, 11:13 AM
I think people are a bit quick to cast Dye off into oblivion. At the start of the 2008 season he will be 34 years old. If his production stays high the next year and a half I have to think the Sox would look to keep him around for another 2-3 years, since if Thome retires you could transition Dye to a DH role if necessary.

Putting questions about a leadoff hitter aside, barring injuries I think that if the Sox were to find a better defensive RF than Dye (and there are not many who could make that claim), Dye could play an excellent left field for a few seasons before being relegated to DH duty.

Put it another way: if in 2008 or 2009 the Sox don't have Thome and if Sweeney is ready, the best solution would be to have Pods DH and have the better defender among Dye and Sweeney play right (the other one would play left).

The question on Dye is if he keeps up this level of production for this year and 2007 (the Sox almost certainly will pick up his option for next year), what would he command on the open market? If Dye is willing to sign a reasonable, fair-market extension, then the Sox definitely should keep him. But if he wants to cash in on the open market (and who could blame him?), then the Sox may have to consider letting him walk.

INSox56
07-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Put it another way: if in 2008 or 2009 the Sox don't have Thome and if Sweeney is ready, the best solution would be to have Pods DH and have the better defender among Dye and Sweeney play right (the other one would play left).

Keeping Pods that long, that's a gutsy move...I personally think he'll be gone after this year when his contract is up. He's shown flashes of good play, but his D is obviously down, and a 233 april and a 245 june aren't going to help. Not to mention age (not saying he's OLD, but for leadoff hitters, unless they're great, they can't lose a step or partial step to stay great). I personally think having him beyond next year would be a mistake if we have someone better available.

the gooch
07-19-2006, 11:28 AM
couldnt agree more. dye has earned it.
but i think dye is an exceptional right fielder. until he shows otherwise, let him play out there. Fields, with no OF experience, could move to 1B/DH if crede stays.

I think it comes down to a decision of crede or dye. we probably wont be able to keep both of them in 2008. we have great 3b and RF prospects that will be ready. Most people would probably say keep crede. but if sweeney takes over for pods in left and fields takes 3B, we have the resources to get a quality leadoff hitter to play either shortstop or 2B.

My question is, after a year in the majors, could sweeney bat 2nd?

Randar68
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Keeping Pods that long, that's a gutsy move...I personally think he'll be gone after this year when his contract is up. He's shown flashes of good play, but his D is obviously down, and a 233 april and a 245 june aren't going to help. Not to mention age (not saying he's OLD, but for leadoff hitters, unless they're great, they can't lose a step or partial step to stay great). I personally think having him beyond next year would be a mistake if we have someone better available.

what's the top of your order look like then? Iguchi-Uribe? :o:

MERPER
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Crede has said numerous times that he wants to be a lifelong member of the WHITE SOX and that if his agent was going to prevent that from happening, he'd seek a new agent!!!

Sounds to me like KW is trying to drive up some values as we get close to the deadline.... Now, it wouldn't shock me if one of them is gone come July 31

Randar68
07-19-2006, 11:52 AM
My question is, after a year in the majors, could sweeney bat 2nd?

Yeah, I could see that. Olerud used to bat near the top of the order and Sweeney has long been compared to him, although Sweeney is a far superior all-around athlete (arm + speed). I've always hoped his power would develop a little better than it has, but he's still one of the youngest guys in AAA, but I don't think you can expect him to ever be more than a 20-25 HR type player...

SABRSox
07-19-2006, 11:55 AM

I think they keep Pods, but they don't go nuts in trying to re-sign him.

Frater Perdurabo
07-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Maybe I should have said it differently. Among Sweeney, Anderson, Pods and Dye, Pods is the worst defensive outfielder. Defensively, I'd rather have Dye than Pods playing the field.

INSox56
07-19-2006, 12:16 PM
what's the top of your order look like then? Iguchi-Uribe? :o:

No, meaning in the farm system or via trade...

bayzbol44
07-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I thought Iguchi said he may go back to Japan after this year?

SABRSox
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
I thought Iguchi said he may go back to Japan after this year?

That's news to me. You got a source on that?

White Sox Randy
07-19-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't believe that Pods will be back next year - unless KW's plans fall through.

I really believe that he'll make a big play for Carl Crawford - maybe he'll deal Fields there.

Other than LF, I don't think that we'll be looking at any other changes in the lineup. Possibly, an upgrade at SS.

I don't think that we can send Fields back to Charlotte next year. So, either we trade him or make him the LF.

It would make no sense to have him sit on the bench. Nor would it make any sense to trade Crede.

Ol' No. 2
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Keeping Pods that long, that's a gutsy move...I personally think he'll be gone after this year when his contract is up. He's shown flashes of good play, but his D is obviously down, and a 233 april and a 245 june aren't going to help. Not to mention age (not saying he's OLD, but for leadoff hitters, unless they're great, they can't lose a step or partial step to stay great). I personally think having him beyond next year would be a mistake if we have someone better available.Leadoff hitters don't grow on trees. Forget batting average, OBP is far more important for leadoff hitters, and he's getting on at a .354 clip, which is almost exactly what he did last year. For comparison, Carl Crawford (the current hearthrob) has an OBP of .353.

getonbckthr
07-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Leadoff hitters don't grow on trees. Forget batting average, OBP is far more important for leadoff hitters, and he's getting on at a .354 clip, which is almost exactly what he did last year. For comparison, Carl Crawford (the current hearthrob) has an OBP of .353.
Ya but you don't worry about whether Crawford will catch the ball or not.:D:

Randar68
07-19-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't think that we can send Fields back to Charlotte next year. So, either we trade him or make him the LF.

No, we can send him back to Charlotte again next year if we want to.

Hitmen77
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM

1. Negotiating ploy with other teams - KW wants to drive up their trade values;

2. Negotiating ploy with Scott Boras - KW indirectly wants to pressure Crede to sign a long-term deal;

3. KW wants to keep his options open for the future;

4. KW envisions one or both of them playing important roles on the Sox in 2007 or 2008.

This is a pretty good summary of reasons to keep Fields. I'd also like to add that Crede has had back problems and has been banged up of late. So, I think it would be prudent for the Sox to keep Fields as insurance in case Crede goes down to injury.

Fields is still young, so it's not like he's wasting away in the minors right now. Unless the Sox get a trade offer that blows us away, it makes sense to let Fields continue to develop and then decide how he fits in the organization's plans next year or in '08.

Regarding Boras - there's been alot of hand-wringing on this site lately about Crede's fate because of Boras. This is a little premature. First, Crede won't be a free agent until after '08. Second, he's already said that he wants to stay here and would change agents if it really was an obstacle to him staying here. Finally, if this sentiment turns out to be all B.S. and he's really just another Magglio, then, as you said, having Fields waiting in the wings gives KW some leverage when that time comes.

wdelaney72
07-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Ya but you don't worry about whether Crawford will catch the ball or not.:D:

I like Podsednik, but I'd rather have Crawford.

Sxy Mofo
07-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, you did. He's not played a single inning of OF in professional baseball and we won't the rest of this year, IMO.
You don't need to condescend me. There have been talks and rumors... and I didn't make them up.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060706&content_id=102431&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp

"For a shot at playing every day at the Major League level, Fields may have to dislodge Joe Crede from third base. With Crede playing a key role in Chicago's 2005 championship run, getting past him will be no easy task.

That has produced talk of a position change for Fields -- perhaps to one of the corner outfield positions. For the time being, that talk has all been speculative. He has started every one of his games at third base or designated hitter for the Knights but knows the possibility exists for a change.

"Right now, third base is where I feel comfortable," he said. "I think I still have a lot of work to do to get to what Chicago is used to having at third with Joe [Crede], because he is an amazing third baseman. You get more comfortable with every game that you play over there, and now I have a couple of games under my belt.

"If a position change is going to happen, I'd be all for it. When I'm told to go to the other position, I'm just going to have to get comfortable there, like I have at third."

BadBobbyJenks
07-19-2006, 01:46 PM

If we move fields to left and then have sweeney in right in 08, whos leading off?

MadetoOrta
07-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Futuresox.com says the same thing about Fields learning to play a corner OF position. He's a great athlete who could probably make the change.

Randar68
07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Futuresox.com says the same thing about Fields learning to play a corner OF position. He's a great athlete who could probably make the change.

And no matter where you've read it, it has all been speculation from outside the organization.

That's the short and quick answer here... it's all rumors and speculation at this point as he has STILL never played OF for a single pitch...

Blueprint1
07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I think that Dye is the kind of guy that could play first base as his career progresses. He is athletic enough to learn a new position. He has the height to play some first base as he gets older.

StatHead21
07-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Remember when Borchard was given the "untouchable" kiss of death by KW? Fields is blocked by Crede, Thome and Konerko for a few years, trading him would make sense.

kwolf68
07-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Remember when Borchard was given the "untouchable" kiss of death by KW? Fields is blocked by Crede, Thome and Konerko for a few years, trading him would make sense.

The kid is going to be a star. He has the personality, the charm, charisma, and talent to be a real marketing tool for any team that gets him. Oh yea, the guy can play his arse off too. I've met him and he is amazing...think someone like David Eckstein with more RAW talent.

Still, I get your point that you typically trade from a position of strength to sure up a weakness.

If we did deal Josh, then I would take nothing less than a RP who can help us now and either another top flight prospect or two 2nd level top prospects. We can't just deal kids like this away for nothing.

Right now the Sox minors is loaded with "nice", "ordinary", "solid" guys...players like Morse, Reed, Meaux guys the Sox could parlay into some help.

However, Fields isn't just "nice", he is potentially our best position talent in our entire minor league system. Our system is still in good shape, but it has taken a hit (worth it yes to make a run).

veeter
07-19-2006, 05:19 PM

To me, Anderson will be a staple in center for years to come.I would like to see them sign Dye for three more years. The guy is simply an excellent player, seemingly getting better with age. Then, I'd take the risk of letting Pods go. I would then rotate Fields, Anderson and Sweeney in left and center. This is all assuming they can re-sign Joe. AND assuming Sweeney could play a little center.