PDA

View Full Version : Comiskey Renovations Update - Firsthand View

HootieMcBoob
02-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone......
Well me and my dad were on our way to Chicago for dinner w/ my sister's new inlaws and we were passing right by Comiskey, so we decided to stop in.......

We parked right in front of the main entrance at 35th and Shields and walked right in the lobby. We asked if we could speak to our season ticket representative who is trying to find us better seats. She came and she said they are still working on it, but it is taking longer b/c they switched from ticketmaster to tickets.com......

Anyways...we asked how the renovation was coming along and she asked if we wanted to see it. She got us a couple guest passes and we walked thru the tunnel and went out onto the field thru the umpire's entrance. Centerfield is all torn up still w/ a big bulldozer in front. They need to re-angle some seats in the outfield I think she said. There are 2 small new sections of seats adjacent to the new batter's eye. The club and suite levels were all tarped off to keep wind/sun out. The screen behind homeplate was still the same.

I asked if it would all be ready for the home opener and she said yes.

She also talked how the renovation plans for 2003 are still in the making. How much renovating would be done would depend on if they sell the naming rights of the stadium. She mentioned a re-make of the upper deck w/ changes to the angle/incline of the seats is a possibility.

Anyways, I thought some of you would want to know how the park is shaping up. Ok, good nite Sox fans.....
-Hootie

WinningUgly!
02-16-2002, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Hey everyone......
Well me and my dad were on our way to Chicago for dinner w/ my sister's new inlaws and we were passing right by Comiskey, so we decided to stop in.......

We parked right in front of the main entrance at 35th and Shields and walked right in the lobby. We asked if we could speak to our season ticket representative who is trying to find us better seats. She came and she said they are still working on it, but it is taking longer b/c they switched from ticketmaster to tickets.com......

Anyways...we asked how the renovation was coming along and she asked if we wanted to see it. She got us a couple guest passes and we walked thru the tunnel and went out onto the field thru the umpire's entrance. Centerfield is all torn up still w/ a big bulldozer in front. They need to re-angle some seats in the outfield I think she said. There are 2 small new sections of seats adjacent to the new batter's eye. The club and suite levels were all tarped off to keep wind/sun out. The screen behind homeplate was still the same.

I asked if it would all be ready for the home opener and she said yes.

She also talked how the renovation plans for 2003 are still in the making. How much renovating would be done would depend on if they sell the naming rights of the stadium. She mentioned a re-make of the upper deck w/ changes to the angle/incline of the seats is a possibility.

Anyways, I thought some of you would want to know how the park is shaping up. Ok, good nite Sox fans.....
-Hootie

Couldn't you have at least walked out to short & wrote Royce sucks in the dirt? :D: Thanks for the update.

cheeses_h_rice
02-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Hootie, so there are now more seats in CF? It seems that they are making the former black steel thing in CF narrower than it was last year, which is a good thing, I think.

Also, they're not doing anything on building the RF short porch this year, are they?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Hootie, so there are now more seats in CF? It seems that they are making the former black steel thing in CF narrower than it was last year, which is a good thing, I think.

Also, they're not doing anything on building the RF short porch this year, are they?

Where did this short porch in RF rumor start? I don't recall any official notice written about it anywhere. Maybe I'm wrong?

They just spent a fortune fixing up the Bullpen Bar in that corner last year.

voodoochile
02-16-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Where did this short porch in RF rumor start? I don't recall any official notice written about it anywhere. Maybe I'm wrong?

Might that be a misremembered rumor based on our bringing in the corner fences (especially in RF) LAST year?

How's the Batters Eye look? Are they going to turn it green with plants? Is the one way glass in CF in place so Fans can watch from dead on?

I wish they had gotten smart and installed a 20 foot high one-way wall at the front of the batters eye so they could put in seats behind that glass which would give them even more Lower Deck space and give the fans a perspective they can't get anywhere else in baseball. Or is that what they are doing? I think the batters eye view is going to be for standing people on the concourse dead on from CF, but did I misunderstand?

duke of dorwood
02-16-2002, 03:08 PM
I caught a glimpse of it when they were interviewing Kenny Lofton on TV. It was real hard to tell-looked like there is heavy work being done out there, you could see back to the scoreboard in the brief look I got. They have tons of work to do.

Jerry_Manuel
02-16-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

That rumor came about from the drawings made by HKS.

HootieMcBoob
02-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Well all of centerfield is a mess right now.....

But our ticket agent said one cool thing about the renovations is that you can walk around the outfield concourse and never lose sight of the game. In CF, there used to be a big concrete wall and u would have to run behind that to see the game again.

But right now, the black metal hitter's backdrop is gone and the thing is covered in a tarp w/ a big bulldozer in front of it.

I know there will be 2 new narrow sections in CF b/c I saw the new seating daigram.... sec 100 and 160 something.

No work is being done in RF.

No greenery has been added yet.

Our agent said that by 2003, all the outfield concourse concession stands will be re-done.

doublem23
02-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Cool.. Thanks for the updates, Hootie... I may take a trip down there and see if can grab a peak of what's going on.

cheeses_h_rice
02-16-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

That rumor came about from the drawings made by HKS.

Thanks, Jerry. I couldn't remember where I first read about the RF HR porch, but I knew I didn't make it up on my own.

doublem23
02-16-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Thanks, Jerry. I couldn't remember where I first read about the RF HR porch, but I knew I didn't make it up on my own.

Yeah, I remembered that from the drawings, too, but George brings up a good point... How will the HR porch and Bullpen Sports Bar, which the Sox put a lot of money into last year, coexist?

Jerry_Manuel
02-16-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Yeah, I remembered that from the drawings, too, but George brings up a good point... How will the HR porch and Bullpen Sports Bar, which the Sox put a lot of money into last year, coexist?

Perhaps Daver could explain it from a construction stand point.

However, as I've said numerous times when talking about the HKS drawings, it's just an idea for renevations. None of those changes could occur.

Pete_SSAC
02-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
No greenery has been added yet.

Yeah, I would expect that that will be the LAST thing done, just before the home opener, since right now isn't exacttly the weather to be planting things.

- Pete

irish rover
02-17-2002, 03:05 AM
the porch was also mentioned in an article in the Suntimes not too long ago where the sox presented the some pictures to hizzoner

Also the pictures of the renovations that they sent me to renew my season tickets were different than what is on the web site. In the pictures I received they showed facades of old buildings, trees and street lights in the outfield concourse area so that may be the concession renovations. It is suppose to look like chicago in the turn of the century, kinda of like what they are doing on Halsted near UIC