PDA

View Full Version : Umpire Gift to Yankees

ondafarm
07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Watching the Mariners-Yankees on Extra Innings.

JJ Putz on to close a 4-2 game. One run scores then one out man on 2nd. Posada grounds to second and umpire Mike Reilly calls him safe. YES Network replay clearly shows him out, announcers even say "Thank You". Reilly even throws Manager Hargrove out to boot. Hargrove said one of the magic words, you can't call an umpire 'full of **** and expect to keep playing.

Johnny Damon flys out two pitches later, tie score.

Rain delay now going down.

Mod Edit: Dammit, why did you have to evade the language filter. Now I have to give you a week off. You should know better.

Reilly ought to get fined but he won't.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Disgusting.
There is no accountability whatsoever for majo league umpires.

PalehosePlanet
07-18-2006, 10:28 PM
The Yankees are just hot-lucky out of their arse right now. A-Rod 3 E's and they win yesterday; Jaret Wright strands 128 Sox on Sunday; every blooper falls in for them and they're turning double plays left and right. Puh-leeeease.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Considering the Yankee announcers the 'objectivity' is refreshing.

Lip

NoShoesJoe
07-18-2006, 10:56 PM
We know that kind of play runs in streaks. Happens to every team, every year.

soxfanreggie
07-18-2006, 11:27 PM
I agree with Noshoes...Yanks are a hot team right now. It just matters how long they stay hot.

Ol' No. 2
07-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Disgusting.
There is no accountability whatsoever for majo league umpires.What in the world does an umpire have to do to get canned? If I sucked at my job as bad as some of these guys, I'd be on the street.

PeteWard
07-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Yankees win in 11th, :mad: . Umping Brings back flashbacks of that strikezone last Friday,

buehrle4cy05
07-19-2006, 01:11 AM
If you want to see example A of why there IS pro-Yankee umpiring in baseball, look no further than this train wreck. First of all, it's ****ing POURING at the stadium, right? Well, the umps decide to suspend play when there's ****ing puddles on the infield AFTER the Yankees tied it. Bull****. Then the play at first wasn't even close. There's no excuse for a call like that. I could ump better than these guys.:angry::angry::angry:

SoxFan78
07-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I think in circumstances like this where the call changes the outcome of the game, the umpire in question should be fined or suspended for a game. That call was so bad and it cost the Mariners the game.

If the call at first was correct, there would be two outs with a man on third. Next hitter flies out, game over.

But instead they go to extra innings and the Yankees pull it out after a rain delay.

MLB needs to take some sort of action on this.

Ol' No. 2
07-19-2006, 11:00 AM
I think in circumstances like this where the call changes the outcome of the game, the umpire in question should be fined or suspended for a game. That call was so bad and it cost the Mariners the game.

If the call at first was correct, there would be two outs with a man on third. Next hitter flies out, game over.

But instead they go to extra innings and the Yankees pull it out after a rain delay.

MLB needs to take some sort of action on this.Mistakes are part of the game, and you can't expect any umpire to get every call right. It's not humanly possible. Some will change the game...that's the way it goes. However, there are a number of umpires who just consistently suck and everyone knows who they are, but there seems to be no way to get rid of them. They seem to have jobs for life. MLB needs to step up and take action on the worst ones, but until they do there's no reason in the world for them to change.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2006, 11:26 AM
After the Ozzie-Wendlestadt incident from last year it came out that MLB did take action against the crew in terms of a fine so some action is taken, which is better then nothing I guess.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
07-19-2006, 11:31 AM
After the Ozzie-Wendlestadt incident from last year it came out that MLB did take action against the crew in terms of a fine so some action is taken, which is better then nothing I guess.

LipProbably a trivial fine and an official letter in their file, none of which means diddly-squat. I thought the whole point of busting the umpires' union and consolidating umpiring under MLB was to improve oversight and to make it easier to get rid of the bums. Silly me. Turns out it was just a Selig power grab.

Lip Man 1
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Are all umpires allowed to work the post season or is it only the 'best' ones? If it is the latter then those 'repirmand letters' would play a part don't you think?

Lip

TheOldRoman
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
How come the spineless pieces of **** at ESPN aren't giving us the life story of this umpire like they did with Doug Eddings WHO DIDN'T MAKE THE WRONG CALL? With Eddings, they told us how old he is, where he lives, his family, etc. Even if Eddings made the wrong call (and it was indeterminable), he didn't prolonge the game. It was tied, and at worst, the Sox had another chance to win it. The Yankees game was over after the flyout, but because of umpire imcompetance, the tying run scored, and they won in extras. This was 1000x worse than what happened with Eddings, yet this umpire isn't the villain, why?

Ol' No. 2
07-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Are all umpires allowed to work the post season or is it only the 'best' ones? If it is the latter then those 'repirmand letters' would play a part don't you think?

LipI don't know for sure, but I don't believe they have a system like in the NFL where referees are graded every week and only the best get to do playoff games. I'm not sure how they decide.

SoxFan78
07-19-2006, 12:06 PM
How come the spineless pieces of **** at ESPN aren't giving us the life story of this umpire like they did with Doug Eddings WHO DIDN'T MAKE THE WRONG CALL? With Eddings, they told us how old he is, where he lives, his family, etc. Even if Eddings made the wrong call (and it was indeterminable), he didn't prolonge the game. It was tied, and at worst, the Sox had another chance to win it. The Yankees game was over after the flyout, but because of umpire imcompetance, the tying run scored, and they won in extras. This was 1000x worse than what happened with Eddings, yet this umpire isn't the villain, why?

To be fair, that Doug Eddings game did happen in the playoffs. Thats why it got all the publicity.

Fenway
07-19-2006, 12:26 PM
Even John Sterling on WCBS radio said he was out and he is the biggest homer announcer of them all.

WisSoxFan
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Wow. I just saw that replay for the first time. Not even close. I would be very interested in what the umpires said to each other during the rain delay when the saw the replay and I would guess that they either saw replay in their dressing room or at least got the information that the call was missed. I would hope that as a professional the Reilly felt like crap for blowing the call and tossing Hargrove. It's a tough job, the he blew an easy one.

Foulke You
07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
I saw the call on Sportscenter last night. It was indeed as horrible a call as you'll see in a crucial situation. Posada was out by a full step and was called safe. Not only does this hurt the White Sox since the Yanks stayed pace in the Wild Card, but you gotta feel for the M's too. Despite having a mediocre record, they are right in that AL West race where every game is big. Hargrove had every reason to throw a tantrum there.

TheKittle
07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Look this call, while terrible, doesn't come close to the missed call in the 96 ALCS or ALDS game where that idiot Richie Garcia called it a HR when it was clearly fan interference.

SouthSoxFan
07-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Looks like the umps evened it out the next day. Did you see the phantom "timeout" call in yesterday's game?

Lip Man 1
07-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Two words:

Don Denkinger

1985 W.S.

Lip

BMac Daddy
07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Mistakes are part of the game, and you can't expect any umpire to get every call right. It's not humanly possible. Some will change the game...that's the way it goes. However, there are a number of umpires who just consistently suck and everyone knows who they are, but there seems to be no way to get rid of them. They seem to have jobs for life. MLB needs to step up and take action on the worst ones, but until they do there's no reason in the world for them to change.

Mistakes are part of the game and life. Sometimes they work for you, sometimes they work against you. Of course, I always remember the ones that work against me longer then the ones that work for me.

I'd rather try to learn to live with them instead of trying to eliminate them.