PDA

View Full Version : Why WCIU?

PeoriaSoxFan
07-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Why does it seem that every time there is a big game, it is on WCIU? What the heck is WCIU:angry: anyway, some channel that nobody has and features reruns of Laverne and Shirley all day? Seriously,how are the Sox ever going to grow their fan base, when they still mess around with a channel that nobody can see:angry:? I am in Peoria and haven't been able to get 3 of the last 7 Sox games, due to ESPN blockout, WCIU, and the local Fox picking up the Cardinals. I am tired of this and tired of seeing the Cubs on Comcast. :angry:

digdagdug23
07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Why does it seem that every time there is a big game, it is on WCIU? What the heck is WCIU:angry: anyway, some channel that nobody has and features reruns of Laverne and Shirley all day? Seriously,how are the Sox ever going to grow their fan base, when they still mess around with a channel that nobody can see:angry:? I am in Peoria and haven't been able to get 3 of the last 7 Sox games, due to ESPN blockout, WCIU, and the local Fox picking up the Cardinals. I am tired of this and tired of seeing the Cubs on Comcast. :angry:

I agree, but am afraid there is nothing we can do about it other than cave and spend the money on MLBTV or suffer through Farmio. Not sure which is the tougher choice.

QCIASOXFAN
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
I hate that ****! I have to listen to Tigger announcers on XM radio for tonight and they suck ass.

Timmy D's
07-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Just a long shot, but PeoriaSoxFan did I sit next to ya a few weeks ago at a game in the UD??

eurotrash35
07-18-2006, 07:33 PM
it's a good excuse to spend time with the family for once :D:

Palehose13
07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
IIRC, The TV schedule was determined way before anyone thoguht that this would be a big series.

Jurr
07-18-2006, 07:59 PM
WCIU games mean I have to watch the Detroit announcers on the MLB package. I don't mind them a bit. They're pretty good. I gained a lot of respect for them by the way they handled the Sox clincher last year.

PeoriaSoxFan
07-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Just a long shot, but PeoriaSoxFan did I sit next to ya a few weeks ago at a game in the UD??

No, I have been up 7 times this year, but have only sat in the lower deck (RF or LF line).

PeoriaSoxFan
07-18-2006, 08:09 PM
WCIU games mean I have to watch the Detroit announcers on the MLB package. I don't mind them a bit. They're pretty good. I gained a lot of respect for them by the way they handled the Sox clincher last year.

Not sure where you live, but MLB package would do me no good as they still would block it out on MLB. They just need to ditch WCIU once and for all. The Cubs would be better served on that channel.

Timmy D's
07-18-2006, 08:25 PM
No, I have been up 7 times this year, but have only sat in the lower deck (RF or LF line).

Gotchya. There was a guy in from Peoria that sat next to me and my son one night a few weeks ago. We had talked for quit a while, thought there for a second it might of been you.

Gremlin3
07-18-2006, 08:26 PM
The thing that bugs me is not having a hi-def broadcast.

schmitty9800
07-18-2006, 09:21 PM
A channel nobody can see? Not everybody has cable.

3rdgensoxfan
07-18-2006, 09:31 PM
In Champaign, I can't even get Farmer and Singleton clearly because of power lines.

It means I rarely watch baseball on Tuesdays and have one productive school night each week :smile:

JorgeFabregas
07-18-2006, 09:35 PM
We get WCIU much better on our attenae than 'GN.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2006, 09:37 PM
I hated the games on WCIU when I was at school in Champaign, but since I have been back I don't mind them. In a perfect world, every one of the Sox games would be on WGN, so the entire country could see White Sox baseball every night.
As it stands, the majority of Sox games are on Comcast (99). That number has shrunk in the last few years. Up until a couple years ago, I never had cable/satellite at my home. I only got to see the Sox 4-5 times a month. It was hard to stay a fan when you only get to see a handful of games a month, but luckily we had the best play-by-play man this side of Vin Scully.
The Sox need to put more games on WGN/WCIU, not less. It is frustrating not being able to see a game a week in central Illinois, but it is even more frustrating only being able to see 2 Sox games a week in the Chicago area. Millions of people in Chicago don't have cable. Putting more games on Comcast would help fans in Iowa and downstate, but it would hurt Chicagoland fans, and they would be the ones coming to the games more often. Just be glad that you can see 4-5 games a week.

peeonwrigley
07-18-2006, 09:43 PM
For those with cable WCIU games look terrible. Its like listening on short wave radio and watching through your neighbor's screen door.

I don't know what other options there are out there, though, that would be any better.

I'd rather have it than nothing - I lived in Champaign the last 4 years so I can appreciate its crap quality over not having the game.

anewman35
07-18-2006, 09:52 PM
The Cubs have games on WCIU, too, so it's not like having games on WCIU is going to benefit them at our expense.

rowand33
07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
In Champaign, I can't even get Farmer and Singleton clearly because of power lines.

It means I rarely watch baseball on Tuesdays and have one productive school night each week :smile:

the hell with the productive school night. no sox on a tuesday means you just go out to wine night all the earlier. :gulp:

soxjim
07-18-2006, 10:06 PM
I did not get to see the game. My provider in Rockford doesn't get that station.

eurotrash35
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I hated the games on WCIU when I was at school in Champaign, but since I have been back I don't mind them. In a perfect world, every one of the Sox games would be on WGN, so the entire country could see White Sox baseball every night.
As it stands, the majority of Sox games are on Comcast (99). That number has shrunk in the last few years. Up until a couple years ago, I never had cable/satellite at my home. I only got to see the Sox 4-5 times a month. It was hard to stay a fan when you only get to see a handful of games a month, but luckily we had the best play-by-play man this side of Vin Scully.
The Sox need to put more games on WGN/WCIU, not less. It is frustrating not being able to see a game a week in central Illinois, but it is even more frustrating only being able to see 2 Sox games a week in the Chicago area. Millions of people in Chicago don't have cable. Putting more games on Comcast would help fans in Iowa and downstate, but it would hurt Chicagoland fans, and they would be the ones coming to the games more often. Just be glad that you can see 4-5 games a week.

If metro-area fans go to the games more often then they can go to the games while the game gets broadcast on a real station. WCIU is garbage. If the club needs exposure that badly they should give extra games to WGN for free.

Lip Man 1
07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
When the schedule is divvied up they try to let each station have at least one game against every team in the league. It doesn't work out perfectly but that's the thinking, that way everyone gets to benefit ratings-wise say against the Yankees or Red Sox.

Lip

SpartanSoxFan
07-18-2006, 11:36 PM

I agree wholeheartedley. I don't understand it, either. I always see ads for home games broadcast "IN HD" on WCIU in the Tribune Sports Section. Curiously, this WCIU-HD channel has never appeared on my cable lineup...:angry: :angry: :angry:

HotelWhiteSox
07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
WCIU means WGN didn't want the game (or I guess didn't want to show the game instead of the WB programming)

NoShoesJoe
07-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Was it just me or did anyone else hear a background hum through the first 7 innings. It was soooo bad that it gave me a headache, although that might have been the caused by :gulp:

peeonwrigley
07-18-2006, 11:55 PM
I agree wholeheartedley. I don't understand it, either. I always see ads for home games broadcast "IN HD" on WCIU in the Tribune Sports Section. Curiously, this WCIU-HD channel has never appeared on my cable lineup...:angry: :angry: :angry:

I think others have posted that you can get WCIU in HD over the air if you have an HD antenna. Road games won't be in HD anyways - at least Comcast has been going widescreen for some of them.

I think fenway posted before that NESN does all Red Sox games in HD - the White Sox should push their broadcasting partners do this next year. I've had HD for a month now and it makes the standard WCIU broadcast that much more difficult to stomach.

shoelessjoe90
07-19-2006, 01:29 AM
How about everybody just move to the Chicago-Metro area, you'll get all the games like me :cool:

Dancin' Homer
07-19-2006, 04:46 AM
How about everybody just move to the Chicago-Metro area, you'll get all the games like me :cool:

http://www.stupidness.net/archives/images/simgoggles.jpg

"My eyes the goggles do nothing!"

I, for one, was happy about the WCIU game. I was at the laundromat and needed a game on broadcast t.v.

100 Year Itch
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
The game broadcasts on "The U" benefits local area residents without cable.

While quality of the transmission seems lower than other broadcasts but I know a few people without cable who are also happy when they can catch a Sox game on "The U" or through that broadcast sudsidiary of the Tribune Company.

bigsqwert
07-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Anyone know how long the contract is set up with WCIU?

stacksedwards
07-19-2006, 10:00 AM
We get WCIU in NWI, but defanetly feel for those who don't get it. Went to Ball State and had to buy the dish for Sox, Bears, and Bulls. There was nothing like the $300 a month Direct TV bill in college.

Chicken Dinner
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM

I also kind of enjoyed watching the Detroit feed last night. And they didn't say "stretch" once!

North Sox Sider
07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I heard the humming sound too. It was incredibly annoying. It sounded like Hawk and DJ were sitting next to a generator or something like that. Very poor quality.

jdm2662
07-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I also kind of enjoyed watching the Detroit feed last night. And they didn't say "stretch" once!

Honostly, I've done the same thing recently when I can get the game on another station. Hearing annoucers actually talk about the game is a nice change. I think will do that tonight, providing Berman doesn't do the game. Hopefully, it will be Gary Thorne.

Frontman
07-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I agree, but am afraid there is nothing we can do about it other than cave and spend the money on MLBTV or suffer through Farmio. Not sure which is the tougher choice.

Spending the money. Farmio was our color guy last year, and down the stretch, had some incredible calls when on Play by play.

Kogs35
07-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Honostly, I've done the same thing recently when I can get the game on another station. Hearing annoucers actually talk about the game is a nice change. I think will do that tonight, providing Berman doesn't do the game. Hopefully, it will be Gary Thorne.

its actually dan shulman,orel hershiser, and steve phillips

jdm2662
07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
its actually dan shulman,orel hershiser, and steve phillips

Don't know who Shulman is off hand. I will give him a shot. I can go a couple of days without hearing about how great Carl Yastrzemski was, or listening to Hawk talking about himself just to be heard...

downstairs
07-19-2006, 11:07 AM
The Cubs have games on WCIU, too, so it's not like having games on WCIU is going to benefit them at our expense.

Are you sure?

I only watch Cubs games for the comedy... when I know they're about to explode (I get to see a lot of major league history that way... homers in a game, grand slams in an inning, etc.)

But... I've never seen them on WCIU.

TornLabrum
07-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Are you sure?

I only watch Cubs games for the comedy... when I know they're about to explode (I get to see a lot of major league history that way... homers in a game, grand slams in an inning, etc.)

But... I've never seen them on WCIU.

Since the Cubs have more games on WGN, they only have 8 games on WCIU.

MarySwiss
07-19-2006, 11:23 AM

I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but tonight's game on ESPN is on my hi-def channels schedule.

Kogs35
07-19-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but tonight's game on ESPN is on my hi-def channels schedule.

IIRC Thursdays day game is also avaible on espn hd

infohawk
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
I've experienced the same frustration down here in Springfield. WCIU must stand for "We Can Irritate U."

Timmy D's
07-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm a minority on this one I know, but actually glad when they are on WCIU, as there OTA HD signal comes in great for me. Satelite doesnt carry the HD locals, so antena is the only way to get them or cable(which I dont have), For some reason WCIU has a stronger HD signal than Fox32-1, or WGN 9-1. Dunno why, but for me it's always a good viewing experience.

SoxFan78
07-19-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm a minority on this one I know, but actually glad when they are on WCIU, as there OTA HD signal comes in great for me. Satelite doesnt carry the HD locals, so antena is the only way to get them or cable(which I dont have), For some reason WCIU has a stronger HD signal than Fox32-1, or WGN 9-1. Dunno why, but for me it's always a good viewing experience.

I love that Comcast sponsors the HD on the WCIU feed, but they don't make it available to their comcast customers.

bayzbol44
07-19-2006, 01:14 PM

I installed a OTA the other day and last night WCIU-D came throught with a weak signal, but it was 10x better than the regular WCIU channel. WCIU looks awful, it is so grainy.

Fenway
07-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Big problem is there is no other option for WGN to dump the overflow games to. The other english UHF's have networks they have to run at night. WGN had to strong arm WCIU to run the games in HD this year.

Outside of Chicagland cable companies don't pick up WCIU and WGN is picked up statewide. It is a pain but as of now there really isn't another option.

Gremlin3
07-19-2006, 02:12 PM
I love that Comcast sponsors the HD on the WCIU feed, but they don't make it available to their comcast customers.

I have comcast and their hd dvr box.

SoxFan78
07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I have comcast and their hd dvr box.

I do also, I meant they don't carry the HD feed of WCIU.

nlentz88
07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I usually don't have cable. There's usually enough good stuff on PBS to keep me happy. But I really feel the lack of cable during the baseball season. Back in the day it wasn't too bad since I could just put on Rooney and Farmer. But now....

So I'm always glad when I see the Sox are playing on WCIU or WGN. It means I get to watch the Sox!

I feel bad for those of you guys who can't get the U or don't get a clear signal. Still, if you have cable, you're able to watch more Sox games than those of us who don't pay for any such service.

So please don't bad mouth the U or suggest that all games be carried only on cable channels. Sox games on free TV are the only Sox games some people will ever see.

Timmy D's
07-19-2006, 02:42 PM
I installed a OTA the other day and last night WCIU-D came throught with a weak signal, but it was 10x better than the regular WCIU channel. WCIU looks awful, it is so grainy.

Bayz, try tweekin' a little more, it took me a while, but I got WCIU up to about 90%, ABC, at about 75-80%, nbc 100%, Wbbm( I gave up on, and get on channel 80 of DTV now, same as Fox, some days it works others it doesnt, but CIU and NBC, seem to be the 2 steadier signals I get. FYI, I'm usin an 16' mast I bought at Radio Shack for $49 bucks. Who woulda thought I'd be in the market for an antena ever again. I threw out a massive one when we moved into this house years ago.

StockdaleForVeep
07-19-2006, 03:31 PM

Are you claiming three stooges and judge joe brown are not good progamming?

miker
07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Are you sure its the power lines? :D:

Kogs35
07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
just wait there's back to back wciu games coming up and in september theres a stretch of wciu,wgn,wciu,wgn games on visits to oakland and anaheim

FielderJones
07-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Bayz, try tweekin' a little more, it took me a while, but I got WCIU up to about 90%, ABC, at about 75-80%, nbc 100%, Wbbm( I gave up on, and get on channel 80 of DTV now, same as Fox, some days it works others it doesnt, but CIU and NBC, seem to be the 2 steadier signals I get. FYI, I'm usin an 16' mast I bought at Radio Shack for $49 bucks. Who woulda thought I'd be in the market for an antena ever again. I threw out a massive one when we moved into this house years ago.

Antenna directional orientation (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx). All you need fill in is address and zip.

nlentz88
07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
just wait there's back to back wciu games coming up and in september theres a stretch of wciu,wgn,wciu,wgn games on visits to oakland and anaheim

Sweet.

bayzbol44
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Antenna directional orientation (http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx). All you need fill in is address and zip.

I am aware of this, thanks. Right now, I have an indoor antenna that I am happy with. I will be upgrading to an outdoor one next year. I agree that CBS is too hard to pick up. WGN, WFLD, NBC and ABC have been coming in great. Well worth the $40 Terk antenna at Circuit City.

Gremlin3
07-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I do also, I meant they don't carry the HD feed of WCIU.

I know. That's the thing that bothers me.

WSDaytonOH
07-19-2006, 08:01 PM
So if tonight's game is blacked-out in Dayton...will tomorrrow afternoon's game be as well? :?: I was planning on going home, making a sandwich, and wathcing a few innings.