PDA

View Full Version : Are there any backup Catchers on the market?

07-18-2006, 01:40 PM
If this belongs in Whats the Score, I don't know, but it's not a rumor, it's a fact, is there any backup catchers on the market right now? I don't remember the last game Widger played in ans we won....or that he even got a hit....I loved Widgers rags to riches story last year, but I think he rode the high of that as long as he could....I know AJ can't catch every game of the week, but isn't there someone else out there? Bako can't hit well, but he is known for handling a pitching staff well

spiffie
07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
If this belongs in Whats the Score, I don't know, but it's not a rumor, it's a fact, is there any backup catchers on the market right now? I don't remember the last game Widger played in ans we won....or that he even got a hit....I loved Widgers rags to riches story last year, but I think he rode the high of that as long as he could....I know AJ can't catch every game of the week, but isn't there someone else out there? Bako can't hit well, but he is known for handling a pitching staff well
If the Cubs are really thinking about trading Aramis Ramirez away I would offer them Fields and a second/third tier prospect for Scott Eyre and Henry Blanco.

oeo
07-18-2006, 01:47 PM
If the Cubs are really thinking about trading Aramis Ramirez away I would offer them Fields and a second/third tier prospect for Scott Eyre and Henry Blanco.
I'm not sold that Eyre would succeed in the AL. Actually, I think he'd get rocked, so no thanks. Besides...he's a LEFTY, we do not need another lefty, we need a righty. And I'm also not ready to watch our best prospect play for the Cubs in years to come. :puking:

y2j2785
07-18-2006, 01:48 PM

:hawk
Where Would He Play? :rolleyes:

hi im skot
07-18-2006, 01:48 PM

:o:

EMachine10
07-18-2006, 01:50 PM
you don't trade our best prospect for a middle reliever and a journeyman catcher, who in my opinion blows hard. maybe you should have put that in teal.

MUsoxfan
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM

That's a stiff price to pay for a has-been and a never-will-be. Plus, who would Maddux throw to??

chaerulez
07-18-2006, 01:53 PM

A top of the line prospect for a relief pitcher? What are we, the Reds? If any deal is made with the Cubs that involves Fields, Zambrano better be a White Sox.

TheOldRoman
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't know if you are including Ramirez in the trade, but either way, it is a horrible deal for the Sox. Crede is a much better player than Ramirez, and he isn't a prick like Ramirez. Eyre would not be as good in the AL, and we are set with lefties.
Blanco would be a decent aquisition, and he could be had for a mid-level AA prospect.

hi im skot
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
A top of the line prospect for a relief pitcher? What are we, the Reds? If any deal is made with the Cubs that involves Fields, Zambrano better be a White Sox.

Sorry, no thanks.

oeo
07-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Zambrano is another guy that can dominate the NL, but would be worth about Vazquez in the AL. The Sox knocked him around two times this year, you don't think other AL teams would be doing the same?

If the Sox get another SP, he either needs to be REALLY dominating, or be pitching well in the AL. There's just too big of a difference between the two leagues.

TheDarkGundam
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
If that happens, I'm a Royals fan.

The Immigrant
07-18-2006, 02:02 PM
:sandy

July 17, 2006 - Associated Press
Manager Grady Little hinted that C Sandy Alomar's roster spot is not all that secure as the team looks to make moves before the trade deadline. ``When the time comes and we can better ourselves, that's a possibility,'' Little said when asked if Alomar's spot might be better used. ...

Sandy is batting .339 in 24 games with the Dodgers, with 5 2B and 9 RBI. Most importantly, he's hitting .500 against lefties.

Go get him, Kenny.

EDIT: Sandy lives in Chicago in the offseason, IIRC.

Uncle_Patrick
07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't know if you are including Ramirez in the trade, but either way, it is a horrible deal for the Sox. Crede is a much better player than Ramirez, and he isn't a prick like Ramirez. Eyre would not be as good in the AL, and we are set with lefties.
Blanco would be a decent aquisition, and he could be had for a mid-level AA prospect.

I think he meant, if the Cubs move Ramirez, they might be interested in Fields as a replacement at third.

oeo
07-18-2006, 02:06 PM

Manager Grady Little hinted that C Sandy Alomar's roster spot is not all that secure as the team looks to make moves before the trade deadline. ``When the time comes and we can better ourselves, that's a possibility,'' Little said when asked if Alomar's spot might be better used. ...

Sandy is batting .339 in 24 games with the Dodgers, with 5 2B and 9 RBI. Most importantly, he's hitting .500 against lefties.

Go get him, Kenny.
I wouldn't mind seeing Sandy around these parts again. Plus, .500 against lefties? Since Widger plays against the lefties...I'm in love.

Jjav829
07-18-2006, 02:10 PM
Zambrano is another guy that can dominate the NL, but would be worth about Vazquez in the AL. The Sox knocked him around two times this year, you don't think other AL teams would be doing the same?

If the Sox get another SP, he either needs to be REALLY dominating, or be pitching well in the AL. There's just too big of a difference between the two leagues.

Javy Vazquez goes to bed at night praying that he will wake up with the stuff Carlos Zambrano has. That's not a good comparison. Zambrano would succeed in any league. Get this, According to the Elias Sports Bureau right-handed batters have hit just .147 (38-for-258) off Carlos Zambrano this season. If Zambrano can maintain this dominance he will be the first pitcher to limit right-handed hitters to a .150 or lower average since Jose DeLeon in 1989.

That's dominance.

Uncle_Patrick
07-18-2006, 02:15 PM

I think Zambrano would do pretty well in the AL. My concern would be that his emotions would get the better of him at the wrong time (such as the playoffs). If I'm the Sox I'd approach him with caution just for that reason.

It doesn't matter, though. My guess is that the Cubs consider him "untouchable". They'd also probably ask a ton for Eyre and/or Howry, the only two relievers on that team I'd have any interest in.

Palehose13
07-18-2006, 02:18 PM

Go get him, Kenny.

I'd take him and I think Sandy would love to come back too.

stacksedwards
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Back up catcher is the least of our worries. Widgers job is to play every 9th or 10th game and not make any erorrs and the occational hit

spiffie
07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
you don't trade our best prospect for a middle reliever and a journeyman catcher, who in my opinion blows hard. maybe you should have put that in teal.
And what are we going to do with Fields exactly? If anyone dared suggest Crede ever moving on they would get drawn and quartered on this board (with good reason). So now what? Hope that we can convert him to an OF? And then what? After all, Owens and Sweeney are still waiting down in the minors.

Fields is effectively blocked until at least the 2008 season. He's tearing up the minors. But he's still not considered an all-world prospect. He's a very good prospect but he's not going to be mentioned in the same breath as Milledge or Kendrick or Delmon (crazy-ass) Young or BJ Upton.

The only thing I'll say though is I had Eyre and Howry's arms flipped in my head. And I would never want Howry back on this team. But regardless, you're not going to get the world for Fields. If someone came to the Sox with an offer that would shore up the pen and plug our most glaring weakness on our bench I would take it.

spiffie
07-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Back up catcher is the least of our worries. Widgers job is to play every 9th or 10th game and not make any erorrs and the occational hit
Widger has appeared in 26 games. In 20 of them he has had multiple at-bats. So he pops up every 3rd or 4th game pretty much.

DumpJerry
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Ozzie can control Zambrano.

Alomar, I suspect, will be a White Sox coach as soon as he hangs it up. I like his numbers this year against lefties. However, I'm always concerned about his knees, the poor guy can barely walk.

BTW, Sandy loves my favorite sushi restaurant, so he is always welcome back to the Black and White!

ondafarm
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't mind Sandy Alomar Jr back here in a Sox uniform, taking Widger's spot. The Sox do need to start thinking about our next catcher after AJ, but more important we need to stop giving away every 3rd or 4th game with Widge behind the plate.

stacksedwards
07-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't mind Sandy Alomar Jr back here in a Sox uniform, taking Widger's spot. The Sox do need to start thinking about our next catcher after AJ, but more important we need to stop giving away every 3rd or 4th game with Widge behind the plate.

We need Sandy back like we need Roberto back

oeo
07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
We have TWO worries:
1. Another righty in the bullpen to solidify it.
2. Someone other than Widger to backup AJ, in case he goes down.

Maybe a third...a backup outfielder in case one of our outfielders go down.

Everything else (centerfield, rotation, etc.) is blown way out of proportion. Our rotation has struggled, yes, but it's NOT bad, and it will rebound.

07-18-2006, 02:42 PM

I'd take Sandy and his left handed avg and experience any day of the week and twice on Sunday...we only need him 1 day a week

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 02:53 PM

Go get him, Kenny.

EDIT: Sandy lives in Chicago in the offseason, IIRC.

I suggested this in another thread. He is 39, but he can still hit, plays great defense and can handle the pitchers well. If he's only playing one day a week (tough lefties / give AJ days off) this is an obvious move to make.

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 02:55 PM

Wrong.

Sandy Alomar >>>>> Chris Widger

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2006, 02:57 PM
As others have said (and I'm paraphrasing), any team that relies on it's catcher to provide offense isn't a very good team.

I think that with Anderson heating up, it may be wise to have him bat eighth and Widger ninth when Widger catches. However, while I too would like to see Widger hit better, I'm more concerned about the fact that (as another thread reported) Widger's catcher's ERA is a full run higher than A.J.'s. That's not good, but we also have to take into consideration how the Sox pitchers feel about Widger. While the situations are not the same, in 2000, Sox pitchers got comfortable with Brook Fordyce (http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/fordybr01.shtml). When he went to Baltimore in exchange for Charles Johnson, the Sox gained better hitting in the 9-hole but their team chemistry suffered. In the meantime, when he is not working with the pitchers, Widger ought to practice bunting and sacrificing.

It's clearly a tricky situation no matter what happens.

stacksedwards
07-18-2006, 03:07 PM
The Dodgers are in a pennant race too. Why would they give up Sandy? Also what would overpaying for a 39 year old back up do? Widge just need to give AJ a break every once in a while. It is not a death sentence when he plays. If we can get a catcher for nothing great but no reason to give up too much for a guy we don't really need. Now if AJ gets hurt then yes we overpay, maybe bringing back Olivo or try to get a catcher from a loosing team (ie Blanco) but a relief pitcher to set up Jenks should be first priority

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
The Dodgers are in a pennant race too. Why would they give up Sandy? Also what would overpaying for a 39 year old back up do? Widge just need to give AJ a break every once in a while. It is not a death sentence when he plays. If we can get a catcher for nothing great but no reason to give up too much for a guy we don't really need. Now if AJ gets hurt then yes we overpay, maybe bringing back Olivo or try to get a catcher from a loosing team (ie Blanco) but a relief pitcher to set up Jenks should be first priority

All indications are that the Dodgers would like to move him. They have 3 catchers on the 25man (Toby Hall and Russell Martin) and would like to add another position player or a better 3B option than Mueller (from what I've read and heard).

Alomar would come cheap - B or C prospect. The market ain't real hot for 39 year old backup catchers making close to a million.

Chicken Dinner
07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
How about Javy Lopez....get the Orioles to pick up most of his salary.

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 03:19 PM

forgot to mention... I'm not saying that trying to find a better backup catcher option is a higher priority than another quality BP arm.. just sayin'... Alomar is better than he is given credit for and isn't out of the realm of possibilities for the Sox. KW shouldn't limit himself to "only one deadline move" this season. Alomar could be the #2 or #3 move that is an afterthought to most of us, but would make all the difference in the world.

Widger is an automatic out and significantly weakens that lineup when he plays.

The OBVIOUS priority is another righthanded BP arm. You nailed that one.

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
How about Javy Lopez....get the Orioles to pick up most of his salary.

Good idea. Maybe get him to DH against the lefties that Thome goes 0-5 with 5 Ks against, too..

The Immigrant
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Javy Lopez wants to play every day.

bluestar
07-18-2006, 03:26 PM

If JB98 read this comment, his head probably exploded. That could make you culpable in another human being's demise.

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Javy Lopez wants to play every day.

Play everyday for the Orioles OR play for a contender defending a world championship.

Tough call. :cool:

Sargeant79
07-18-2006, 03:33 PM
I like the Alomar idea. Offense would definitely be an upgrade...what's his defense like now that he's a few years older than the last time he played on the south side?

spiffie
07-18-2006, 03:45 PM
If JB98 read this comment, his head probably exploded. That could make you culpable in another human being's demise.
I never did like that JB98 guy...

enurb
07-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Sandy Alomar -- puh-lease. I don't care if he's gotten a few hits this year, he's only had 59 AB's. That dude is 40 years old. What's the love affair with this guy? You'd think he was a Sox lifer or something. Instead, he played two weak seasons for us and had an OBP of around .290. The guy blows hard and has for about a decade.

I hope he never coaches here, let alone returns to our roster.

If you want an intriguing alternative back-up catcher, what about Matt LeCroy? He's one year removed from a 17 HR, near 800 ops season with the Twins. He's fallen out of favor with the Nationals, despite the fact that his OBP is 350 this year.

Did I mention that he is about a DECADE younger than that sad sack Alomar?

Here's one strong vote AGAINST Alomar and one vote for LeCroy.

Later, Brune

07-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Sandy Alomar -- puh-lease. I don't care if he's gotten a few hits this year, he's only had 59 AB's. That dude is 40 years old. What's the love affair with this guy? You'd think he was a Sox lifer or something. Instead, he played two weak seasons for us and had an OBP of around .290. The guy blows hard and has for about a decade.

If you want an intriguing alternative back-up catcher, what about Matt LeCroy? He's one year removed from a 17 HR, near 800 ops season with the Twins. He's fallen out of favor with the Nationals, despite the fact that his OBP is 350 this year.

Later, Brune

Sorry Brune,
LeCroy got taken out in the middle of an inning for letting like 8 people steal of him in 7 innings.....
Jamie Burke still looking for work?

The Immigrant
07-18-2006, 04:12 PM

Later, Brune

You mean the Matt LeCroy who allowed seven stolen bases before being pulled by a weeping Frank Robinson earlier this year? That may be why he's "fallen out of favor with the Nationals." He's a DH, not a catcher.

JB98
07-18-2006, 04:14 PM

I wouldn't trade genital herpes for Eyre and Blanco, let alone a future stud like Fields.

This thread sucks.

07-18-2006, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't trade genital herpes for Eyre and Blanco, let alone a future stud like Fields.

This thread sucks.

Hey now, this thread doesn't suck, that idea may suck, but I really think we need a back up catcher that is better then the 2004 American Softball Player of the Year award winner...

Ol' No. 2
07-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Hey now, this thread doesn't suck, that idea may suck, but I really think we need a back up catcher that is better then the 2004 American Softball Player of the Year award winner...I'm no fan of Chris Widger, but seriously, if Chris Widger is the biggest problem the Sox have, you can start printing the "Back-to-Back" T-shirts.

07-18-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm no fan of Chris Widger, but seriously, if Chris Widger is the biggest problem the Sox have, you can start printing the "Back-to-Back" T-shirts.

I know we are facing 2 leftys this series against Det....I know Ozzie will sit AJ for one, probably against Rogers....maybe Widger is due....

enurb
07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
It wasn't a strong vote for LeCroy.

But, you guys need to look hard at why you support Alomar. The numbers don't add up. He stinks and has for a long time. If he wants to coach/ manage somewhere, let him earn his stripes in the minors or as a bench/base coach somewhere else.

JB98
07-18-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm no fan of Chris Widger, but seriously, if Chris Widger is the biggest problem the Sox have, you can start printing the "Back-to-Back" T-shirts.

Exactly. Widger isn't very good, but neither is any other backup catcher in the league. It's not a major problem on the Sox. Pitching is my main concern.

It's just foolish to give up prospects for such a trivial concern as backup catcher. I can't believe people want to give up our best prospect (Fields) for a left-handed reliever and a backup catcher. Left-handed relief is a strength of our team, and with AJ on the roster, the backup catcher only plays once a week.

This is a moronic discussion.

JB98
07-18-2006, 04:37 PM

My head is still in one piece, although I've determined that several posters here have completely lost their minds.

spiffie
07-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Exactly. Widger isn't very good, but neither is any other backup catcher in the league. It's not a major problem on the Sox. Pitching is my main concern.

It's just foolish to give up prospects for such a trivial concern as backup catcher. I can't believe people want to give up our best prospect (Fields) for a left-handed reliever and a backup catcher. Left-handed relief is a strength of our team, and with AJ on the roster, the backup catcher only plays once a week.

1. Seems like the best prospect we have depends on any prospect who ever gets mentioned in a trade rumor. Our best prospect is either McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, Broadway, Sweeney, Owens, Liotta, Haeger, Caruso, Ruffcorn, Baldwin, Skinner or Radinsky. I lose track sometimes.

2. Widger plays about 25% of the games. I'm not sure where exactly the idea that he plays once a week or 1 out of 10 games comes from. Generally every series he gets in for 1 game.

3. Like I said earlier, I got the arms flip-flopped. I wouldn't make a trade for another lefty reliever. But damn straight if someone offered a good right-handed reliever and a solid backup catcher for the 25-30 games they will play in the second half of the season I would do it. But hey, I'm sure in 2008 Fields will be great...unless we resign Crede long-term, but don't worry, he'll be there for us in 2010.

07-18-2006, 04:44 PM

What is our record when Widger plays/starts?

JB98
07-18-2006, 04:47 PM
1. Seems like the best prospect we have depends on any prospect who ever gets mentioned in a trade rumor. Our best prospect is either McCarthy, Anderson, Fields, Broadway, Sweeney, Owens, Liotta, Haeger, Caruso, Ruffcorn, Baldwin, Skinner or Radinsky. I lose track sometimes.

2. Widger plays about 25% of the games. I'm not sure where exactly the idea that he plays once a week or 1 out of 10 games comes from. Generally every series he gets in for 1 game.

3. Like I said earlier, I got the arms flip-flopped. I wouldn't make a trade for another lefty reliever. But damn straight if someone offered a good right-handed reliever and a solid backup catcher for the 25-30 games they will play in the second half of the season I would do it. But hey, I'm sure in 2008 Fields will be great...unless we resign Crede long-term, but don't worry, he'll be there for us in 2010.

I'm glad your name is Spiffie and not KW. I'm done with this thread. Is it game time yet?

The Immigrant
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM

:rolleyes: This discussion is for ****s and giggles. That's the whole point of an Internet message board.

Ol' No. 2
07-18-2006, 04:50 PM

This is a moronic discussion.Could that be the reason they're BACKUPS????:cool:

07-18-2006, 04:54 PM
:rolleyes: This discussion is for ****s and giggles. That's the whole point of an Internet message board.

JB98 is a bit of a hot head, you'll learn, take it with a smile

spiffie
07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm glad your name is Spiffie and not KW. I'm done with this thread. Is it game time yet?
You're done with the thread? :whiner: :(: But I was just about to propose a Josh Fields and Charlie Haeger for Dontrelle Willis, Miguel Cabrera, Alex Rodriguez (with the Yanks picking up his whole salary), Ryan Howard, and Roy Halladay 5-team swap that I just know you'd be all over.

103 screwball
07-18-2006, 06:13 PM

This thread sucks.
I don't want to trade Fields for those guys either. But dude, seriously, if you get a chance to trade genital herpes for Blanco you jump at the chance.:wink:

Daver
07-18-2006, 07:49 PM
This thread is hysterical.

Four pages worth of trading for a backup catcher?

y2j2785
07-18-2006, 07:50 PM
What is our record when Widger plays/starts?

13-13

In 6 of the 13 Wins we have won by 4 or more runs.

In 9 of the 13 Losses we have lost by 4 or more runs.

The Immigrant
07-18-2006, 08:29 PM

There was a lot of time to kill waiting for 6:05 CT to arrive. :tongue:

07-18-2006, 09:26 PM
13-13

In 6 of the 13 Wins we have won by 4 or more runs.

In 9 of the 13 Losses we have lost by 4 or more runs.

Call it a hunch, but with AJ behind the plate, we win 4 more of those games at least.

rowand33
07-18-2006, 09:29 PM
I think getting a decent backup is a legit concern for this ball club. We need somebody who's good with the pitchers that can hit lefties.

Widge was great last year, but he's just sucked this season.

I'd say that the best option out there is Blanco.

Ol' No. 2
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM

Four pages worth of trading for a backup catcher?And the solutions to this grave problem are Sandy Alomar and Henry Blanco. :roflmao:

santo=dorf
07-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Actually it's one of my biggest concerns. If we're going to fret about a bullpen arm who might pitch 2-3 innings a week, why shouldn't we worry about a guy who makes our pitchers pitch worse, and is an automatic out behind the plate 9 or 18 innings a week? :?:

Here's (http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5258) my e-mail to ESPN1000 last night, and Carmen seemed to agree.

Think about those numbers, and tell me why I shouldn't care that the Sox are essentially a lock to lose with Widger behind the plate.

VenturaIsAGod
07-18-2006, 10:49 PM
I agree with those saying that a back-up catcher is a legitimate concern. We need someone who knows how to call a game and won't be an automatic out every time. Alomar is not a bad idea, but I think we can do better, for the same price. As I proposed in another thread, and someone also mentioned it earlier in this thread, I'd like to see us get Miguel Olivo back. I know he used to be terrible at calling games, but I assume he's more comfortable back there now (If someone knows any details, do tell). His arm/bat are big plusses so as long as his pitch-calling won't hurt our pitchers, I like the idea. Another guy I'd like to see come back is Josh Paul. He has some of the tools we need, and he's not as bad as Widger at the plate.
I'm just throwing a couple of names out there to expand the discussion beyond people just saying this thread is stupid.

oscars gamble
07-18-2006, 10:57 PM
I heard Ron Karkovice is thinking of making a comeback

TaylorStSox
07-18-2006, 11:43 PM
I don't care about a guy's OPS. I want a back up catcher who's strong defensively and calls a good game.

DaleJRFan
07-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Here's (http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5258) my e-mail to ESPN1000 last night, and Carmen seemed to agree.

Carmen's word is law. Pull the trigger Kenny! :cool:

Zisk77
07-19-2006, 10:02 AM
We should trade Thome for Blanco straight up. This way when Blanco isn't catching he can DH.

spiffie
07-19-2006, 11:06 AM

If you have it set to 40 posts per page it's not even 2 pages.

Norberto7
07-19-2006, 12:09 PM
But dude, seriously, if you get a chance to trade genital herpes for Blanco you jump at the chance.

It's an interesting discussion. You have to think if the trade makes sense for both sides, though. Would getting out of the Cubs organization be worth swapping for gential herpes? A tough question.

I'll leave the rest of you to figure out how the disease will actually be transferred onto Henry Blanco.

IspepAloc
07-19-2006, 01:55 PM
It's an interesting discussion. You have to think if the trade makes sense for both sides, though. Would getting out of the Cubs organization be worth swapping for gential herpes? A tough question.

I'll leave the rest of you to figure out how the disease will actually be transferred onto Henry Blanco.

Now who would get the herpes? We don't want any of our starters to come down with this. Maybe we can give Widger the herpes so that way it only gives us problems 1 out of every 10 games or so.

07-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Just again, after today, Widger needs to beat it

Mr. White Sox
07-20-2006, 04:19 PM
From Rotoworld.com:

Chris Widger went 0-for-3 on Thursday and is hitless in 21 at-bats since June 16.
Widger isn't exactly known for his defense, so he's quite a liability while hitting .184 like he is now. The White Sox could consider finding a better backup catcher before the deadline. Jul. 20 - 4:55 pm et

maurice
07-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Screw Alomar. I'd rather have Widger or even Chris Stewart.

likeawarlord
07-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Screw Alomar. I'd rather have Widger or even Chris Stewart.

it would have been nice to see stewart get a shot

Jjav829
07-23-2006, 10:48 PM
it would have been nice to see stewart get a shot

He'll get his shot in September. It's a wise move to bring in a veteran backup before the deadline.

MRM
07-23-2006, 11:16 PM

*** are you talking about? "Worth about Vazquez in the AL" "The Sox knocked him around two times"

Lets see. He beat the Sox On may 21st in a game the Sox managed all of 4 hits against him in 7 innings while striking out 9 times. Granted 3 of the 4 hits were HRs but 4 hits in 7 innings is hardly knocking him around and Konerko hitting a coupla long balls can happen against ANY pitcher in the majors. He held the rest of the linup to 2 hits.

The July 2nd game is an abberation. He had such a huge lead he didn't have to bear down. Based on that game I guess Buehrle would be pathetic if he switched to the NL, eh? :D:

His only other game against an AL team was a 6 inning 6 hit 2 run performance against the Tribe.

Projects to Vazquez? Hardly. He'd immediately become one of the 10 best pitchers in the AL.

All that said, I wouldn't want him in a Sox uniform just because you never know when the guy is going to blow a gasket.

Tragg
07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Screw Alomar. I'd rather have Widger or even Chris Stewart. What he said.

Maybe we could give the Dodgers back the guy we got when KW and the Dodgers got the names screwed up in that trade a few yeas ago.

likeawarlord
07-23-2006, 11:47 PM
He'll get his shot in September. It's a wise move to bring in a veteran backup before the deadline.

this way we're minus b.j. lamura, though.

oeo
07-24-2006, 12:44 AM
What he said.

Maybe we could give the Dodgers back the guy we got when KW and the Dodgers got the names screwed up in that trade a few yeas ago.

Sandy wants to play here, and the coaching staff wants him here. So...that's just too bad if you're going to continue to whine about it. Welcome the guy back, he could be a key ingredient down the stretch. One of those low-key trades that turn out to be big in the end...see: Geoff Blum.

rowand33
07-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Sandy wants to play here, and the coaching staff wants him here. So...that's just too bad if you're going to continue to whine about it. Welcome the guy back, he could be a key ingredient down the stretch. One of those low-key trades that turn out to be big in the end...see: Geoff Blum.

I agree.

This team is so talented and the problem with ti all year long is that it hasn't played up to its potential.

A strong veteran presence could be a push in the right direction.

santo=dorf
07-24-2006, 06:13 AM
*** are you talking about? "Worth about Vazquez in the AL" "The Sox knocked him around two times"

Lets see. He beat the Sox On may 21st in a game the Sox managed all of 4 hits against him in 7 innings while striking out 9 times. Granted 3 of the 4 hits were HRs but 4 hits in 7 innings is hardly knocking him around and Konerko hitting a coupla long balls can happen against ANY pitcher in the majors. He held the rest of the linup to 2 hits.

The July 2nd game is an abberation. He had such a huge lead he didn't have to bear down. Based on that game I guess Buehrle would be pathetic if he switched to the NL, eh? :D:

His only other game against an AL team was a 6 inning 6 hit 2 run performance against the Tribe.

Projects to Vazquez? Hardly. He'd immediately become one of the 10 best pitchers in the AL.

All that said, I wouldn't want him in a Sox uniform just because you never know when the guy is going to blow a gasket.

When you get a chance, check out Zambrano's numbers against AL teams, specifically in an AL park. The guy loves to hide behind the pitcher batting by walking the bases loaded to get to him.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6559/splits;_ylt=AuUvJefITBqown8wweANjqWFCLcF?year=care er&type=Pitching

Chicken Dinner
07-24-2006, 11:28 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if Alomar was part of the coaching staff next year with Baines retiring.