PDA

View Full Version : A Fact about Rumors....

07-18-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking back and the last "rumor" of a player that we were going after and actually got was Freddy Garcia....I know rumors are fun to talk about and think about, but really besides the Freddy, what Hot rumor has acutally came in? There was talk about maybe Thome, but the whole Rowand/Thome thing came out of the blue....The Pods for Lee thing shocked us all.....Dye slide under the radar.....Getting El Duque was not talked about (we were all busy looking for Randy Johnson or Javy)...and then getting Javy this year was a shock....as was Cintron and Riske....so all you who are old timers on the board know this, but to the newer people, if you hear about it, then 9 out of 10 times it's BS! But like I said, it's fun to think about and makes good conversation, just don't get your hopes up!

zmz723
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
good post :gulp:

kittle42
07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
The sad thing is that this is 100% right, yet it will not dissuade one person from running over here with the first thing they read at mlbtraderumors.com or heard from their friend's grandmother.

FedEx227
07-18-2006, 01:29 PM
The sad thing is that this is 100% right, yet it will not dissuade one person from running over here with the first thing they read at mlbtraderumors.com or heard from their friend's grandmother.

^ you mean mother-in-law? :redneck

daveeym
07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I luv mlbtraderumors.com. I get all my inside info there and then run to BP to get the experts analysis on the players involved before reading Dayn Perry's roundup on all the dirt for the week.

miker
07-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Wait, this isn't a Fleetwood Mac album thread?

Tekijawa
07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Bartolo Colon was a rumor
as Was AJ
as Was Iguchi

batmanZoSo
07-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Billy Koch was predicted by people on the official boards with "inside info."

spiffie
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking back and the last "rumor" of a player that we were going after and actually got was Freddy Garcia....I know rumors are fun to talk about and think about, but really besides the Freddy, what Hot rumor has acutally came in? There was talk about maybe Thome, but the whole Rowand/Thome thing came out of the blue....The Pods for Lee thing shocked us all.....Dye slide under the radar.....Getting El Duque was not talked about (we were all busy looking for Randy Johnson or Javy)...and then getting Javy this year was a shock....as was Cintron and Riske....so all you who are old timers on the board know this, but to the newer people, if you hear about it, then 9 out of 10 times it's BS! But like I said, it's fun to think about and makes good conversation, just don't get your hopes up!
Actually there were a lot of rumor threads about Thome in the 1-2 weeks before he ended up getting traded here. His name started getting tossed about pretty much as soon as PK filed for free agency. The only surprise part was that Rowand was involved in the deal. I also count at least 4 rumor threads on the Vazquez trade before it happened. That's not counting the 500 other Vazquez rumor threads from previous offseasons. :D:

It's scary looking back at some rumor threads. Right now I'm seeing one from 1-3-05 that said Konerko and Garland for Vazquez was a nearly done deal :o:

oeo
07-18-2006, 01:44 PM
It's scary looking back at some rumor threads. Right now I'm seeing one from 1-3-05 that said Konerko and Garland for Vazquez was a nearly done deal :o:

Which gives you yet another reason to think these rumors are just made up.

AND, we should stop freaking out over who "sucks" right now, because they will probably be key pieces down the line (Anderson, Vazquez, Freddy, etc.)

07-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Actually there were a lot of rumor threads about Thome in the 1-2 weeks before he ended up getting traded here. His name started getting tossed about pretty much as soon as PK filed for free agency. The only surprise part was that Rowand was involved in the deal. I also count at least 4 rumor threads on the Vazquez trade before it happened. That's not counting the 500 other Vazquez rumor threads from previous offseasons. :D:

A lot of us liked that rumor too because we thought Paulie "peaked" in 2004 and we "were going to lose him anyways to free agency"

spiffie
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
A lot of us liked that rumor too because we thought Paulie "peaked" in 2004 and we "were going to lose him anyways to free agency"
You want to see some really scary stuff find the threads from before last year where people were debating whether or not Gload should take over 1B from Paulie. And there was no teal in sight!

07-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Billy Koch was predicted by people on the official boards with "inside info."

Theres one I wish didn't come thru...I wasn't here for the Koch trade era....and yes, Gooch and AJ were hot leads.....here are my top rumors that I remember

1. Griffey part 1, 2 and 3 (he ended up out for the year)
2. AJ Burnett for Jose Contreras (THANK GOD)
3. Schmidt part 1, 2, and 3
4. Garland and PAulie for Javy
5. Garland and Paulie for Big Unit
6. Carlos Delgado off waivers in 2004
7. Beltran in 2004 before Houston grabbed him
8. Chavez for Crede
9. Blalock for Crede
10. Tejada for Garland or B-mac
and many many more

07-18-2006, 01:55 PM
You want to see some really scary stuff find the threads from before last year where people were debating whether or not Gload should take over 1B from Paulie. And there was no teal in sight!

I'm scared to say I didn't "hate" this trade rumor...we thought Vazquez was a major upgrade and Gload would be good if used every day...but after we lost Lee, I knew we couldn't lose Paulies "potential Power"

White Sox Randy
07-18-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't know what you're talking about.....Griffey, Tejada, Andruw Jones and Chavez have really solidified our lineup.....

miker
07-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey, don't forget about how the Nomar-for-Magglio deal turned us into a contender...

spiffie
07-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey, don't forget about how the Nomar-for-Magglio deal turned us into a contender...
That deal was agreed to, but had to be scuttled when the players union wouldn't let Rodriguez take less money in order to get traded to Boston.