PDA

View Full Version : Angel Hernandez

buehrle4cy05
07-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Just saw this. Angel Hernandez tossed Mariano Duncan in the D-Backs/Dodgers game by brushing him off (it was almost like a poo-poo action...if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about). It wasn't the traditional toss motion, it was basically showing up Duncan. Then, Duncan throws his hat, and Hernandez picks up the hat, walks over to the stands, and gives it to a kid.

Hello? Did I miss something? The fans pay the money to see the PLAYERS, not the umpires. As an umpire, I've been told that the best umpires are the one who nobody knows their name. That's unprofessional by Hernandez, and he should be fined or demoted. What he pulled today was complete bull****.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he's the third base umpire, and tossed Duncan from the dugout.

JB98
07-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Just saw this. Angel Hernandez tossed Mariano Duncan in the D-Backs/Dodgers game by brushing him off (it was almost like a poo-poo action...if you saw it, you know what I'm talking about). It wasn't the traditional toss motion, it was basically showing up Duncan. Then, Duncan throws his hat, and Hernandez picks up the hat, walks over to the stands, and gives it to a kid.

Hello? Did I miss something? The fans pay the money to see the PLAYERS, not the umpires. As an umpire, I've been told that the best umpires are the one who nobody knows their name. That's unprofessional by Hernandez, and he should be fined or demoted. What he pulled today was complete bull****.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that he's the third base umpire, and tossed Duncan from the dugout.

Hernandez is universally recognized as the worst umpire around. He thinks he's bigger than the game.

TheOldRoman
07-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I agree that that is horrible, and Hernandez should be fired. I hate bigshot umpires who want to be the center of the game. People don't pay to see them.
Possibly the umpire I hate the most if Dale Scott. He stays crouched for a second or two after the ball hits the catchers' mitt, then slowly leans back and stands, and then slowly gives the sign for a strike or not. So you have to wait 3-5 seconds after the pitch to find out if it is a strike or not. This makes me absolutely furious. It doesn't take 3 seconds to decide if it was a strike or not. To me, that is showboating. The umpire does this to draw attention to himself, and make him the star of the show. MLB needs to put a stop to this sham. The umpire is not the star, we should not be waiting on his every motion. I don't buy tickets to see Dale Scott of Angel Hernandez.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-17-2006, 11:42 PM
The umpire I like best is Chuck Merriweather. I've never actually seen him, I just love that name.

MrX
07-18-2006, 12:02 AM
That whole crew sucks.

Between Hernandez, Wendelstedt, and Randy Marsh you have the collective baseball IQ of a Cubs fan.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2006, 07:13 AM
That whole crew sucks.

Between Hernandez, Wendelstedt, and Randy Marsh you have the collective baseball IQ of a Cubs fan.

There are so many bad umpires working in baseball right now. It's sickening. Dan Iassogna is another name that comes to mind. Every game I've seen that man umpire has involved some sort of controversial call or play, and he's usually been at the heart of it.

Baseball needs an overhaul in the worst way.

Viva Medias B's
07-18-2006, 08:03 AM
Angel Hernandez is the umpire who once ejected Steve McMichael from a Cubs game, after Mongo criticized him over the PA during the 7th inning stretch. Of course, Ozzie has had his run ins with Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, the latter of whom is still revered to this day by Milt Pappas.

As for good umpires, I think Tim McClelland is a good umpire.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Angel Hernandez is the umpire who once ejected Steve McMichael from a Cubs game, after Mongo criticized him over the PA during the 7th inning stretch. Of course, Ozzie has had his run ins with Hunter Wendelstedt and Bruce Froemming, the latter of whom is still revered to this day by Milt Pappas.

Froemming has had it in for the Sox since 2003, when he ejected John Garland for nailing Eye Chart in the back during a game at the 'Cell between the Sox and Twins. This came during a week in which Frank Thomas had been hit three different times, and Magglio Ordonez was plunked on back-to-back nights. Froemming's solution was to issue warnings before the game, which no one seemed to actually know about. Hawk spent half the game complaining, sreaming, "That was BS!" over and over again.

NonetheLoaiza
07-18-2006, 08:31 AM

McClelland has been around forever. He was involved in the George Brett pine tar incident, IIRC. Also, the Sammy Sosa corked bat. He's widely recognized as one of the best, I believe.

As for the worst, I thought I remember hearing something that the players for two years in a row about a couple years ago, voted CB Bucknor the worst umpire.

SoxFan76
07-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Froemming has had it in for the Sox since 2003, when he ejected John Garland for nailing Eye Chart in the back during a game at the 'Cell between the Sox and Twins. This came during a week in which Frank Thomas had been hit three different times, and Magglio Ordonez was plunked on back-to-back nights. Froemming's solution was to issue warnings before the game, which no one seemed to actually know about. Hawk spent half the game complaining, sreaming, "That was BS!" over and over again.

:tsk:

RKMeibalane
07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
:tsk:

Mea culpa. Jon Garland it is.

SoxFan76
07-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Mea culpa. Jon Garland it is.

If Jose Valentine was dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.

Jjav829
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Anyone see Bruce Dreckman try to be the show on Sunday? First there was an awful call on a Chipper Jones swing where he clearly did not check. Chipper even started walking back to the dugout, but the umpire said he checked. Dreckman ended up throwing out Bruce Bochy and one of his coaches. It wasn't just that he threw them out, but Dreckman was actually the aggressor.

Later in the game Dreckman said that Jeff Franceour foul tipped a ball. Franceour started walking back to the dugout but had a few words for Dreckman as he did so. Rather than let it go, Dreckman took off his mask and started walking toward Franceour while shouting back at him. He wound up throwing out both Franceour and Bobby Cox, who came out to argue for his player and threw his lineup card on the ground in disgust.

It was a very poor display of umpiring.

TornLabrum
07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Anyone see Bruce Dreckman try to be the show on Sunday? First there was an awful call on a Chipper Jones swing where he clearly did not check. Chipper even started walking back to the dugout, but the umpire said he checked. Dreckman ended up throwing out Bruce Bochy and one of his coaches. It wasn't just that he threw them out, but Dreckman was actually the aggressor.

Later in the game Dreckman said that Jeff Franceour foul tipped a ball. Franceour started walking back to the dugout but had a few words for Dreckman as he did so. Rather than let it go, Dreckman took off his mask and started walking toward Franceour while shouting back at him. He wound up throwing out both Franceour and Bobby Cox, who came out to argue for his player and threw his lineup card on the ground in disgust.

It was a very poor display of umpiring.

So you're saying that as an umpire, Dreckman is dreck?

hawkjt
07-18-2006, 12:21 PM
brutal umpire list; froemming,wendelstat,culpa,runge,hernandez,iassong a,marsh,scott.

Thankfully the wendelstat crew is in LA doing the dodgers series- not in detroit. Still , holding my breath on tonites crew.

RKMeibalane
07-18-2006, 01:33 PM
brutal umpire list; froemming,wendelstat,culpa,runge,hernandez,iassong a,marsh,scott.

Thankfully the wendelstat crew is in LA doing the dodgers series- not in detroit. Still , holding my breath on tonites crew.

Is there a site that shows where each crew is scheduled to work? It might prove useful for future games and series.

StockdaleForVeep
07-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Who was the umpire who ejected buehrle that broke his inning streak?

RKMeibalane
07-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Who was the umpire who ejected buehrle that broke his inning streak?

Brian Gohrman.

:hawk

"What are you doing, Brian Gohrman? What are you doing? That's just BS!"

oeo
07-18-2006, 03:19 PM

We've had Froemming's crew recently (Boston series, maybe), so hopefully he's out as well. Just give us the best so we don't screwed with unfair strikezones like the last two series.

hawkjt
07-18-2006, 03:51 PM
well, my curiosity was piqued so I checked the box scores for last nite.

Froemming,runge winters and his crew- Pitt-rockies
wendelstat,marsh,hernandez and crew- LA-d-backs
Scott,kulpa,iassongna and crew- marlins-nats

whew- those are the three crews that harbor the majority of bad umps.

Should mean we get a good crew tonite. knock on wood.

ChiSoxRowand
07-18-2006, 04:30 PM
What was the call Duncan was so upset about anyway?

hawkjt
07-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Checked swing call by hernandez at third.

North Sox Sider
07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
I dont understand why these umpires are allowed to follow players after an argument. There should be an automatic fine or some sort of punishment at umps who take there mask off and continue to yell back at players. If the player is clearly walking back to the dugout then the ump should ignore anything said by the player. Some of these guys look like they want confrontation. Angel Hernandez is clearly the worst umpire in the league. When he is behind the plate is strike zone is soo inconsistent.

Irishsox1
07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
This isn't a close race, by far it's Wendelstat....

His behavior and actions during the Oakland series last year were down right ridiculous. In a 5 game playoff, I fear that guy over most pitchers.

Mr. White Sox
07-19-2006, 09:46 PM
I haven't complained about the umps in this series, so that means they're doing a good job.

The worst two crews recently were in the Boston and NYY series, though I don't know which crews those were.

hawkjt
07-19-2006, 11:44 PM
These guys might have missed a pitch or two but that is to be expected and tolerable but their strikes zones have been the same for both sides.

The umps have not decided either game which is great and the way it is supposed to be.