PDA

View Full Version : Can any of our farm OFs help this team right now?

Mohoney
07-17-2006, 07:24 PM
A question to anybody that watches these guys play:

Would either Owens or Sweeney, or possibly somebody else, be capable of playing a good 4th OF role (backing up BA and Pods) this year? I'm not looking for somebody to set the world on fire, just somebody serviceable in CF and LF, somebody that can play RF in a pinch, and most importantly, won't be too adversely affected by missing the extra 200 or so at-bats that he would miss.

If we can go in-house for a 4th OF, it's one less trade that we have to make.

Daver
07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Rob Mackowiak is the fourth OFer, and is better at hitting MLB pitching than anyone in the minors.

I don't understand the question.

Domeshot17
07-17-2006, 08:01 PM
I understand the want for a fourth OF, or more importantly, a fifth OF who is the primary CF backup, because as good as mack hits, his D is shakey and has cost us before.

Mohoney
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Rob Mackowiak is the fourth OFer, and is better at hitting MLB pitching than anyone in the minors.

Mack is a corner OF guy, though. If I had my way, he would back up the corners in the IF and OF and not be forced to play CF. We would get a true OF guy for our bench and get rid of Gload.

FedEx227
07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Only if our minor league OFers can pitch, otherwise no they can't help this team.

kwolf68
07-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Sweeney is not ready right now. We need better starting pitching and the answer to that question resides in Chicago.

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Mack is a corner OF guy, though. If I had my way, he would back up the corners in the IF and OF and not be forced to play CF. We would get a true OF guy for our bench and get rid of Gload.

I agree. I'd like to see the Sox get a left-handed OF who can play CF better than Mackowiak. Gload is expendable because Mackowiak can play first base.

Huisj
07-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I agree. I'd like to see the Sox get a left-handed OF who can play CF better than Mackowiak. Gload is expendable because Mackowiak can play first base.

Well, sort of, except he's actually only played 17 innings at 1B in his whole career.

Epark84
07-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Anderson is not ready let alone sweeney

Hagan
07-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Lets see if the dbacks want to trade chris young back for javier vazquez.

Daver
07-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Only if our minor league OFers can pitch, otherwise no they can't help this team.

Ryan Sweeney was a lights out relief pitcher in HS.

rdivaldi
07-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Anderson is not ready let alone sweeney

I guarantee that Sweeney could come up now and put up better numbers than Anderson at the major league level. But defensively Ryan needs more work in CF before I'd even consider it.

Randar68
07-19-2006, 10:10 AM
I guarantee that Sweeney could come up now and put up better numbers than Anderson at the major league level. But defensively Ryan needs more work in CF before I'd even consider it.

Brian's hitting close to .300 over the last month. Sweeney could come up now and best that?

Doubt it.

fquaye149
07-19-2006, 07:10 PM

iirc Anderson's minor league numbers weren't much worse than Sweeney's are now....I probably don't recall correctly though...

can i get some clarification?

rdivaldi
07-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Brian's hitting close to .300 over the last month. Sweeney could come up now and best that?

Doubt it.

If given the second half of the season much like Brian had the first, Ryan would put up superior numbers by a significant margin. While that isn't saying much due to Brian's struggles, I still think that Ryan is a better hitter.

rdivaldi
07-19-2006, 08:27 PM
iirc Anderson's minor league numbers weren't much worse than Sweeney's are now....I probably don't recall correctly though...

can i get some clarification?

Brian's raw numbers are better, but then again he was older and more experienced.

Chisoxfn
07-21-2006, 05:04 PM

The problem is he gets way too much time in CF. We don't have a legit backup outfielder and it would be nice to have a righty that could really hit LHP to come in for Pods. Pablo was alright whne he was hitting, but since coming back from the hammy that hasn't been the case.

In short, Owens can only play LF (I don't care what Kenny thinks cause I've talked to enough people who know Owens isn't a CF and he sure as heck doesn't have the arm for RF). Sweeney is a guy that could come in and play RF and LF pretty darn well and be respectable in CF (kind of like Mack is respectable out there if he's a backup playing once a week, but if you have him out there more than that you got problems).

Owens has picked it up offensively as of late though while Sweeney has been hitter the ball for a little power lately (including his 4-4 surge earlier this week).

Chisoxfn
07-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Ryan Sweeney was a lights out relief pitcher in HS.
And a few teams considered drafting him as a pitcher as early as the 1st round (of course they didn't take him, but the kid is quite the athlete)

Chisoxfn
07-21-2006, 05:12 PM

Doubt it.
Anderson was due to finally hit a rough patch due to the hole in his swing. I think we both expected him to hit that rutt a little sooner (either when he was promoted to AA or AAA) but somehow he continued to hit. Than this year he finally was left exposed due to his hole down and away but he worked hard with Walker and made adjustments and is turning into a pretty solid hitter.

When you combine the efforts he's made, with his willingness to learn and athletic ability I see no reason why he can't turn into a Torri Hunter type player (nothing amazing offensively but capable of 20-30 HR's and some RBI's with an avg in the .270 range and hopefully a little higher OPB than Torri all while playing superb defense).

Heck, Anderson not hitting wasn't much of a surprsie to me to start the year, it was more the immediate impact he made with this team defensively. I expected much more of a learning curve out there from him. He's made rookie mistakes (not backing up his fielders always, missing the cutoff guys, throwing to the wrong spot) but overall he's been amazing out there for a rookie (defensively).

In terms of Sweeney he's a pretty safe bet to be a solid hitter, but that doesn't mean much unless his power numbers go up (you could live with it if he hit a ton of doubles and limited Hr's while playing good defense on a team with some power guys) but if he turns into a Podsednik hitter (little xtra base power) he'll have a hard time staying around (thats why some people have compared him to Burroughs offensively).

Personally I think Sweeney just has to learn to pick and choose when to drive the ball and I think at his best he could have a very similar career to Garret Anderson (Anderson may not be that good offensively anymore, but ofr a while he was pretty damn solid). GA started off more as a single and doubles guy, but over time his power numbers grew.

RKMeibalane
07-21-2006, 07:33 PM

There's no reason to rush Sweeney to the big leagues right now. The nice thing about the Sox current roster is that they don't have that many holes. Anderson is the CF of the future, and as has been stated, he is improving. Sweeney won't be ready to help the Sox until '07 at the earliest.

Tragg
07-23-2006, 11:45 PM
The problem is he gets way too much time in CF. We don't have a legit backup outfielder and it would be nice to have a righty that could really hit LHP to come in for Pods. Pablo was alright whne he was hitting, but since coming back from the hammy that hasn't been the case.

In short, Owens can only play LF (I don't care what Kenny thinks cause I've talked to enough people who know Owens isn't a CF and he sure as heck doesn't have the arm for RF). Sweeney is a guy that could come in and play RF and LF pretty darn well and be respectable in CF (kind of like Mack is respectable out there if he's a backup playing once a week, but if you have him out there more than that you got problems).

Owens has picked it up offensively as of late though while Sweeney has been hitter the ball for a little power lately (including his 4-4 surge earlier this week). None of the guys in the minors are likely to hit much right out of the box. We don't need a back up outfielder who can't hit. I guess taking Gload's spot on the bench wouldn't cost us much though....that's pretty much a wasted roster spot. Sweeney's real young, and should stay in AAA where hopefully, he develops more power.

Save McCuddy's
07-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Lets see if the dbacks want to trade chris young back for javier vazquez.

I was summarily blasted on these pages for questioning that trade when it went down. I wonder if any of my assailants wish we still had Vizcaino in the pen and McCarthy in the rotation with a .500 plus slugger in CF at Charlotte?

StatHead21
07-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Good chance Fields could out produce Pods if they move him to LF.

Save McCuddy's
07-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Hopefully that's where he'll be on Opening Day '07. As of now, barring a center fielder who can handle the majors mentally, we're stuck with the 4 OF's we've got.