Anyone here go to the NY series?
Fill us in on the details.
How were the fans?
Were there alot of Sox fans there?

NoShoesJoe
07-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Didn't go there, but loved hearing the fans chant:
1) Paulie, Paulie
2) Let's go White Sox (in between Let's go Yankee's)

That was the highlight of the series to me.

dllrbll7
07-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Anyone here go to the NY series?
Fill us in on the details.
How were the fans?
Were there alot of Sox fans there?

I was at fridays game.
Alot more sox fans than i thought were there. The yankees fans were into the game like it was the world series i thought. I was way up in the upper deck but the park was nice, except for only having 1 ramp down from the upper deck(maybe 2). They had a 24oz beer for $9 which is the same as a 16oz beer for $6 at the cell.

Went out to one of the bars after the game and saw a bunch of sox fans. Everyone was really friendly except one guy gave me a hard time, I tried to ignore him since we were on our way out but i did have to turn around and make some comments...

jenn2080
07-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I was at fridays game.
Alot more sox fans than i thought were there. The yankees fans were into the game like it was the world series i thought. I was way up in the upper deck but the park was nice, except for only having 1 ramp down from the upper deck(maybe 2). They had a 24oz beer for $9 which is the same as a 16oz beer for $6 at the cell.

Went out to one of the bars after the game and saw a bunch of sox fans. Everyone was really friendly except one guy gave me a hard time, I tried to ignore him since we were on our way out but i did have to turn around and make some comments...

All games there are like the WS.

cws05champ
07-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I was there for Friday's game and Saturday's nightmare....We had really good seats Friday, 1st row in right field box, in fact they were folding chairs in front of the first row. And the cool thing was we were sitting next to two Sox fans. A few of the Yankees fans were pissed and we got asked several times how we got those seats. Fridays game was a good game(despite the result), espcially when I thought AJ may pull us out in the 9th. There were loud cheers when the Sox had scored, and had to get booed down by the Yankee fans.
For the most part Yankee fans were OK...obviously there are the few drunken fools who make an ass of themselves even to their own fans. But for the most part they were knowledgeable and cool to talk to. When we were walking back to our Hotel(Hyatt where the Sox stayed), I even heard one guy say " If I see any more Whitesox stuff I'm gona throw up", this after seeing me with my jersey and hat.

Wish it were better results, but still had a good time there...great city!

nysox35
07-17-2006, 06:16 PM
hmmm...I think you've never been there for games against Tampa Bay or when the division is already wrapped up.

I live out in NY and went on Friday. Despite the loss, it was a good game and a good time.
I do a 20 game plan with the Yankees, so I'm used to the stadium and fans.

Goodman6
07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
I went to Saturday's game. There were a fair amount of Sox fans there.

I thought the Yankees fans were good. They were really in to the game and none of them made any derogatory remarks to me or about the White Sox.
In fact, one Yankees fan told me not to be too upset over the Sox losing so badly as good team do lose games and look bad losing at times. He said he is hoping the White Sox and Tigers both make the playoffs and Boston is left out.

Speaking of Boston................. after going to the White Sox - Red Sox games the weekend before last and enduring the wrath of those butthole Red Sox fans, I decided to pull for the Yankees to win the East.

gbergman
07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Speaking of Boston................. after going to the White Sox - Red Sox games the weekend before last and enduring the wrath of those butthole Red Sox fans, I decided to pull for the Yankees to win the East.
I will always pull for the Yankees to win the East if its between Boston or NY

FJA
07-17-2006, 10:00 PM
I was at Saturday's game sitting almost literally in the worst seats in the house, top row in left field. I found Yankee fans to be enthusiastic, knowlegable, and in no way offended by my cheering for the opposing team. Despite how unpleasant the game was, my overall opinion of Yankee fans went way up. Good crowd.

soxjim
07-17-2006, 10:24 PM
I was at the game on Friday. Despite the result of the game, I had a good time. The Yankee fans near me were good. They were interested at what I was doing out in NewYork. When I told them I had reserve duty I drank free pop the rest of the night. It was great to hear fellow SOX fans.

EastCoastSoxFan
07-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Well, my 6-game Sox winning streak came to an end Friday night.
I ended up sitting next to a pretty friendly guy, and we talked baseball off and on for most of the game.
There were only a few visible Sox fans from where I was sitting -- it wasn't like Pittsburgh.
I was actually quite impressed at how few people left the stadium when the Yankees scored those three runs in the bottom of the eighth. I was politely informed that Yankee fans always love to see Big Mo.
After the game I heard a few alcohol-induced "Sox suck!" catcalls, but nothing major.
It seems that the White Sox are now one of the teams that the Yankees (and their fans) really get up for. It was definitely a near-playoff-type atmosphere, with fans standing up and cheering on two-strike counts all throughout the game.
And unlike last year, I didn't get lost driving back to Philly after the game!
At any rate, I hope to start a new winning streak at Baltimore in two weeks...

Lyle Mouton
07-18-2006, 10:29 AM

I've found that the Red Sox fans that go to games in other cities are alot more obnoxious than the ones that go to Fenway

WikdChiSoxFan
07-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, I went Saturday and Sunday. Right field bleachers on Sat. Left Field bleachers on Sunday. First and foremost, Yankee stadium is a dump. I realize I didn't get to walk the whole park, see the monuments, etc. But the concrete / dinged metal panel aesthetic is horrible. It looks much better on TV, that's for sure.

It was cool sitting with such a vocal section on Sat. in Right Field. (Too bad we got spanked.) But the overall impression I have of Yankee fans, not very knowledgable, but very into the game. They cheer the names of their players until they recognize them. They cheer "Box Seats Suck" even though all the fans in the box seats were enjoying some nice cold beer. (The bleachers are dry.) Also, it seems cool to be a jerk at Yankee stadium, but as soon as you talk to someone, they're pretty normal. They scream at people to get of their cell phones or get off the rail. No pity for young fans. (Pretty stupid of the jerks if you ask me. Trying to overcompensate?) People we met at the bars were nice enough. Its just a shame we had to get manhandled like that. Oh, and the stadium cheers for almost every two strike pitch thrown by their pitcher, which I give them all credit for.

Uh, despite it being like 300 billion degrees, the only vendor (singular) walking into the seats was selling peanuts. (Can I get some lemon chills please!?)

Oh and the worst thing...the intro. Like a half hour of former and current players talking about how the yankees are the best franchise ever, lengendary, sexiest, etc.

The biggest idiot award goes to some "tough guy" in a David Justice jersey shirt for calling Neal Cotts a "person of homosexual orientation" over and over. (Such a liberal progressive city, right?)

Oh, and they played half of Dance NOW #16. And they have Cotton-Eye Joe time in the middle of the 8th. (Not a fan.)

I went to the Jake last year. Sooooo, much better time, field, etc. Anyway, my two cents in case you were considering making the uber expesive trip to see Spankmee stadium.

miker
07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Hearing the "Paulie, Paulie..." chant, and the New Yorkers trying to shout it out, brought a smile to my face during an otherwise disappointing road trip.

Any day you can get out of New York without being mugged or killed is a good day. Let's go get our act together in Detroit!

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2006, 01:10 PM
.................and after NY please stay away from Detroit the next three days.

soxchick20
07-18-2006, 01:45 PM
i was in ny staying at the grand hyatt along with the team. even though they lost, being at the hotel with them was awesome. there was quite a few sox fans at the game and the hotel. thank god for that. at first, we only had tickets to saturday's game, but on friday afternoon in the hotel lobby, there was a group of sox fans including "soxman". he was in full costume head to toe in white sox colors. he looked just like batman or superman but instead he was "soxman", i'm talking black and silver spandex, black cape, face paint, platform boots, lighted sox cap, etc. Well, not only did we get some great pictures with him but they ended up having extra tickets for fridays game. Plus, Ozzie Jr. happened to be in the lobby when this all occurred, got some pics with him too. so, we head to yankee stadium. oh what a disapointment it was. it's worse than wrigley. the bleachers are terrible, the vendors are a joke, selling pepsi's out of the case, no coolers. they carry around bags of hotdog buns, and a container of cooked hotdogs. everythings done halfass. plus, they need some major marketing/public relations help to fix the fan interaction, music, etc. the fans werent bad. they never said anything bad to us, for the most part. oh, after fridays game, we got back to the hotel and saw soxman again, they would not let him in the yankee stadium because of his costume, they even confiscated his ticket so he couldnt even sell it. he said he ended sitting in a bar across the street watching the game in his costume because the yankees wouldnt let him in. saturday's game was brutal. at least, we had better seats for that along the third base line above the sox dugout. But, overall the trip was good, my little sister got 11 autographs plus pictures with A.J., Ozzie JR. and Matt Thornton. Watching her smile after getting an autograph was worth it. and i have to say, even after losing all three games, the players were still nice enough to smile for a picture and happily give autographs which makes me even more proud to a white sox fan.

MUsoxfan
07-18-2006, 01:57 PM
after fridays game, we got back to the hotel and saw soxman again, they would not let him in the yankee stadium because of his costume, they even confiscated his ticket so he couldnt even sell it. he said he ended sitting in a bar across the street watching the game in his costume because the yankees wouldnt let him in.

I can see that. A guy in a costume like that (and I know who you're talking about) would likely cause alot of problems because of what he's wearing and not necessarily about what he'd say. If I were the Yanks, I'd let him go home and change before coming back. It may have been too much to confiscate the ticket

DumpJerry
07-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Never been to a game in NY, but the Yankee fans I've encountered at Comiskey during Sox/Yanks games have been pretty nice-like Cardinal fans. Red Sox fans, OTOH, are jerks.

I guess 27 world titles makes the soul feel satisfied.

soxchick20
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
i also forgot to mention the yankees announcer. omg he sounds like he's going to croak any minute. gene honda rocks him. not only does he repeat the numbers of our players twice but it takes him almost a minute to get the name out. after two days...i never want to hear that again.

nedlug
07-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I went Saturday, and I have pics on my Razr - now only if i could figure out how to transfer them to my comp, I could submit them to WSI.

Anyway, a lot more Sox fans than I expected - i even had a brush with a Sox fan that had moved to NY several years back - we had a nice short talk before the game about things. Very nice guy - good rep of the Sox in NY.

The game turned out horrible, but I (surprisingly) only got one shout toward me... one guy yelled out "They were a one-year fluke!", to which I replied by rolling my eyes and turning away. That was about it.

The funniest thing I saw was that a fan came to the game with a Red Sox shirt on, and while he was leaving during the 7th, the whole section started chanting "Boston sucks! Boston sucks!", which I thought was hilarious.

I'm just glad i got to see Yankee Stadium before they tear it down - one of those things you should see before it goes away.

dllrbll7
07-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I forgot to mention there music....
Could they at least bring a live person in to sing the national anthem, take me out the ball game, and God Bless America??

Plus buy another cd other than Jock Jams?? Seriously every song inbetween innings was straight off the Jock Jams cd....

soxchick20
07-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I forgot to mention there music....
Could they at least bring a live person in to sing the national anthem, take me out the ball game, and God Bless America??

Plus buy another cd other than Jock Jams?? Seriously every song inbetween innings was straight off the Jock Jams cd....

TELL ME ABOUT IT........I THOUGHT THEY WERE INTRODUCING THE BULLS AT FIRST....LIKE I SAID BEFORE....THEY NEED SOME MAJOR MARKETING/PR HELP!!!