PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat

Lip Man 1
07-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Interesting stat from 'Tom Verducci's View' column in S.I. Page 81

"Still doubting the Tigers who were 30 games better then .500 after 86 games? Don't. Of the 44 previous teams to start 58-28 or better only three did not make the post season."

He doesn't list the three..I wonder who they were.

Lip

SABRSox
07-17-2006, 04:04 PM

"Still doubting the Tigers who were 30 games better then .500 after 86 games? Don't. Of the 44 previous teams to start 58-28 or better only three did not make the post season."

Lip

I don't think there is any doubt at this point that the Tigers will make the postseason. The only question is whether it's as AL Central Champions, or the Wild Card.

pasquasroachclip
07-17-2006, 04:27 PM
the 78 Red Sox, 54 Yankees and 42 Dodgers were the three teams that didn't make the playoffs

TDog
07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
the 78 Red Sox, 54 Yankees and 42 Dodgers were the three teams that didn't make the playoffs

Two preceded divisional play. The '42 Dodgers finished 54 games above .500. The '54 Yankees finished 52 games above .500. The '78 Red Sox played in the two-division league alignment. That situation could be described as a team collapsing.

Other teams have been close to 30 after 86 games and haven't made postseason. The 1993 Giants were 28 games under .500 at that point, finished the season 44 games above .500 and behind the Braves before wild cards were granted in baseball. Bob Costas used the thrill of the Giants-Braves race as an example of why the wild card would be bad for baseball.

I don't think it's a sure thing the Tigers will make the postseason. I don't think it's a sure thing any Sox or the Yankees will make the postseason. In September -- in late September -- last year, it wasn't a sure thing the White Sox, or the Yankees or the Red Sox would be in the postseason.

In the AL, you have six teams vying for three playoff spots and four teams vying for the fourth (although losing an extra-innings weekend to Toronto may mark the end of Seattle's presence in the race). It won't take a collapse for the Tigers to finish behind the Sox with the record worse than two Eastern Division teams. Likewise, it wouldn't take a collapse by the Sox to finish behind the Tigers with Boston and New York turning in the best records in the AL. Meanwhile, Toronto and Minnesota aren't far behind in an era with heavily unbalanced schedules.

Really though, 86 games is an arbitrary mark to measure such things.

Johnny Mostil
07-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Two preceded divisional play. The '42 Dodgers finished 54 games above .500. The '54 Yankees finished 52 games above .500. The '78 Red Sox played in the two-division league alignment. That situation could be described as a team collapsing.

Other teams have been close to 30 after 86 games and haven't made postseason. The 1993 Giants were 28 games under .500 at that point, finished the season 44 games above .500 and behind the Braves before wild cards were granted in baseball. Bob Costas used the thrill of the Giants-Braves race as an example of why the wild card would be bad for baseball.

I don't think it's a sure thing the Tigers will make the postseason. I don't think it's a sure thing any Sox or the Yankees will make the postseason. In September -- in late September -- last year, it wasn't a sure thing the White Sox, or the Yankees or the Red Sox would be in the postseason.

In the AL, you have six teams vying for three playoff spots and four teams vying for the fourth (although losing an extra-innings weekend to Toronto may mark the end of Seattle's presence in the race). It won't take a collapse for the Tigers to finish behind the Sox with the record worse than two Eastern Division teams. Likewise, it wouldn't take a collapse by the Sox to finish behind the Tigers with Boston and New York turning in the best records in the AL. Meanwhile, Toronto and Minnesota aren't far behind in an era with heavily unbalanced schedules.

Really though, 86 games is an arbitrary mark to measure such things.

Interesting about '42 Dodgers and '54 Yankees. The '42 Cardinals and the '54 Indians won a ton of games.

I'm not quite sure I'd say the '78 Red Sox "collapsed"--they did win their last eight regularly scheduled games to force the extra game--as much as they came back to earth and the Yankees--who closed the season 53-21 (48-20 under Lemon)--charged, charged, and charged.

I'm guessing 86 games were how many had been played by the deadline for the article.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't think there is any doubt at this point that the Tigers will make the postseason. The only question is whether it's as AL Central Champions, or the Wild Card.

I'm thinking wild card.

oeo
07-17-2006, 05:43 PM

Lip
Well, the Tigers will still make the postseason...as the Wild Card.

Anyways, this is now...all that history crap doesn't mean a thing. That's just like counting out the Red Sox in 2004 because they were down 3 games to none. History is just that, history...it has no effect on what happens in 2006.

And BTW, this really isn't interesting at all, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Johnny Mostil
07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

USAT had a weird article recently, about how the White Sox had the second-best, and the Mets the best, chance of making the postseason. I read it thinking, um, OK, then what about the Tigers?

Oh, well, if the Sox keep playing as in their last two series (although I do think they'll improve), then I won't really care what the Tigers do . . .

voodoochile
07-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, the Tigers will still make the postseason...as the Wild Card.

Anyways, this is now...all that history crap doesn't mean a thing. That's just like counting out the Red Sox in 2004 because they were down 3 games to none. History is just that, history...it has no effect on what happens in 2006.

And BTW, this really isn't interesting at all, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

those that ignore the past are destined to repeat its mistakes...

itsnotrequired
07-17-2006, 07:11 PM
those that ignore the past are destined to repeat its mistakes...

...and those that remember Santayana's slogan are doomed to keep saying it.

:tongue: