PDA

View Full Version : AL East vs Central

Fenway
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
This topic came up this morning on WEEI and at this point it has to be considered. The Yankees are 6-1 vs Detroit and Chicago and the Red Sox are 4-2. Is it an indication that the Eastern teams are a shade better or is it just a fluke at this point?

This is one of the quirks of the unbalanced schedule, you really don't know. Yes both the Tigers and White Sox have better records overall and the divisions are almost balanced ( Toronto-Minnesota, Baltimore-Cleveland, Tampa a few games better than Kansas City )

In any event it seems certain the WC is coming out of the Central which makes the tong war between Boston and New York that much more interesting. :?:

oeo
07-17-2006, 02:22 PM
This topic came up this morning on WEEI and at this point it has to be considered. The Yankees are 6-1 vs Detroit and Chicago and the Red Sox are 4-2. Is it an indication that the Eastern teams are a shade better or is it just a fluke at this point?

This is one of the quirks of the unbalanced schedule, you really don't know. Yes both the Tigers and White Sox have better records overall and the divisions are almost balanced ( Toronto-Minnesota, Baltimore-Cleveland, Tampa a few games better than Kansas City )

In any event it seems certain the WC is coming out of the Central which makes the tong war between Boston and New York that much more interesting. :?:
Come talk to me when the Sox play both teams and are NOT playing like ****. Not only should the Sox have taken 2 out of 3 from the Yankees during their ****ty play, but they also could have just as easily taken the series against the Red Sox, if they weren't playing like crap.

The Red Sox and Yankees are good teams, and you have to play good ball to beat them...the Sox didn't do that. Lets play the last 6 games and THEN we can make our assumptions.

cleanwsox
07-17-2006, 02:23 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox are 6-10 against the Indians and Twins as well this year. If anything, that just shows you can't really make a case against the AL East vs. AL Central just yet. People make a big deal with us getting KC 19 a year but Baltimore and Tampa are two very mediocre teams as well. There is no reason you shouldn't take at least 10 games from those teams each year.

Johnny Mostil
07-17-2006, 02:25 PM

Interesting question. I was thinking the Yanks and Red Sox are just better. But I also remember how poorly the White Sox did last year against the Athletics (2-7), Rangers (3-6), and Angels (4-6, including a three-game sweep by LAA in Chicago in September, which convinced me the White Sox weren't going to do much in the postseason).

Oh, well, quite a few games remaining . . .

Fenway
07-17-2006, 02:30 PM
The Yankees and Red Sox are 6-10 against the Indians and Twins as well this year. If anything, that just shows you can't really make a case against the AL East vs. AL Central just yet. People make a big deal with us getting KC 19 a year but Baltimore and Tampa are two very mediocre teams as well. There is no reason you shouldn't take at least 10 games from those teams each year.

Boston plays Kansas City next and they need to rebound after a horrible Oakland series.

Baltimore the Red Sox own but for some reason Tampa plays them tough.

Red Sox fans this morning are on the ledge as the Yankees are only 1/2 game behind. The Yankees with all their injuries are playing much better than expected as White Sox fans just found out.

2 weeks to the deadline it going to be interesting to see who does what.

Paulwny
07-17-2006, 02:41 PM

I'm not so sure anymore. The sox could have made an "in your face " statement in NY. Instead, they lost to a yankmee spring training game squad.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-17-2006, 03:03 PM

If the White Sox and Tigers were 6-1 and 4-2 vs the East powers, I'd probably be using that as evidence that the AL Central was better. Therefore to be fair, gotta say the AL East is proving they are still the power division and the AL Central has been somewhat over-hyped.

daveeym
07-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm not so sure anymore. The sox could have made an "in your face " statement in NY. Instead, they lost to a yankmee spring training game squad.The yankees have been the same way for 5 years now I don't know what's so hard to figure out. Best team on paper by far but a very old team that has frequent injuries and fluctuations. They'll be the best team in the game for 3 weeks, then horrible for 3 weeks, so it's all about when you catch the Yankees when you're not an eastern division team.

Fenway
07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Hmmmm Royals just jumped to a 3-0 lead at Fenway

QCIASOXFAN
07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Hmmmm Royals just jumped to a 3-0 lead at Fenway I hope the Royals sweep them. Then there will be some serious dark clouds over Boston.

NoShoesJoe
07-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Will be? Breathe deep the gathering gloom.

Johnny Mostil
07-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Hmmmm Royals just jumped to a 3-0 lead at Fenway

And then it was 4-0 after 6 . . . and then . . . what a surprise . . .

Lip Man 1
07-18-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm convinced that 19 inning game affected both teams. Both the Sox and Boston looked like dung in their opening series of the 2nd half.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
07-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm convinced that 19 inning game affected both teams. Both the Sox and Boston looked like dung in their opening series of the 2nd half.

Lip

Anytime a team plays a 19-inning game I would expect fatigue to follow.

But most of the team had a four-day break. I guess the guys who went to Pittsburgh didn't get much rest, but the rest of the team should be refreshed and ready for bear.

I agree that it may be a factor, but with the four-day break, it should not be a factor.

Fenway
07-18-2006, 04:26 PM
And then it was 4-0 after 6 . . . and then . . . what a surprise . . .

That was the 20th blown save by the KC bullpen this year :o:

I feel bad for the fans of that once proud franchise, they don't deserve the lousy product they are getting year after year.

Johnny Mostil
07-18-2006, 06:38 PM
That was the 20th blown save by the KC bullpen this year :o:

I feel bad for the fans of that once proud franchise, they don't deserve the lousy product they are getting year after year.

What's the record? Does anybody know? I think it's in the low 30s, but I can't remember who or when.

I was also trying to find something that would tell me what KC's record is after 6 (or 7) innings, but had no luck. I probably didn't look hard enough. I might calculate it if I can't find it.

Here's something I find weird--if all those blown saves were Ws instead of Ls (dubious assumption, I know--and, for all I know, maybe one or two of those blown saves ended up being Ws after all--but play along if you'd like), then KC would have 50+ wins (and be even closer to the playoffs than that because teams like the Tigers and Red Sox would have more Ls) . . .

Fenway
07-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Royals can't catch a break. They hold the Red Sox to one run in each of the last 2 games but lose both. You don't see too many 1-0 games at Fenway and to see then back to back is highly unusual.

Johnny Mostil
07-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Royals can't catch a break. They hold the Red Sox to one run in each of the last 2 games but lose both. You don't see too many 1-0 games at Fenway and to see then back to back is highly unusual.

Yeah, I saw that score and figured my browser was stuck on yesterday for some reason. Any idea when was the last time there were consecutive 1-0 games at Fenway? I glanced through baseball-reference.com and saw 2000 was (or at least appeared to be) the last year there was more than one 1-0 game there all year . . .

dcb56
07-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I saw that score and figured my browser was stuck on yesterday for some reason. Any idea when was the last time there were consecutive 1-0 games at Fenway? I glanced through baseball-reference.com and saw 2000 was (or at least appeared to be) the last year there was more than one 1-0 game there all year . . .

June 22-23, 1916

Johnny Mostil
07-20-2006, 08:43 AM
June 22-23, 1916

Wow. Thanks. I'm fascinated (more than I should be, probably) by trivia like that.

Fenway
07-20-2006, 12:22 PM
June 22-23, 1916

The pitchers involved in those games for Boston were Ernie Shore and George Ruth.

George Ruth according to the Red Sox media guide demanded to be an everyday player in 1919 instead of just being a pitcher and the owner decided to sell him to the New York Yankees. I should look up his record to see if he ever amounted to anything.

Deebs14
07-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm surprised those jagoff radio guys are finally starting to realize that baseball is actually played west of PA. :rolleyes:

Johnny Mostil
07-20-2006, 07:19 PM
The pitchers involved in those games for Boston were Ernie Shore and George Ruth.

George Ruth according to the Red Sox media guide demanded to be an everyday player in 1919 instead of just being a pitcher and the owner decided to sell him to the New York Yankees. I should look up his record to see if he ever amounted to anything.

Shore and Ruth? Now there's a pair . . . I'd guess it'd be too easy to throw out the trivia question on what makes that pair even better known than those two games . . .

Fenway
07-20-2006, 07:27 PM
Shore and Ruth? Now there's a pair . . . I'd guess it'd be too easy to throw out the trivia question on what makes that pair even better known than those two games . . .

I know but I won't give it away :smile:

Johnny Mostil
07-20-2006, 07:45 PM
I know but I won't give it away :smile:

I thought of disqualifying you (and Lip) from answering . . . :wink: