PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy: our NO.2 starter not needed ?

White Sox Randy
07-17-2006, 09:28 AM
McCarthy is surely our second best starting pitcher. Why is he not in the rotation while we continue to lose games and ground ?

What will it take for the Sox to put him in the rotation ? Will they wait until we are behind the Yankees in the WC race ?

KMKsuburbannoise
07-17-2006, 09:35 AM
I really don't think he is number 2 or number 3 for that matter. I do feel that he has a butt load of potential though. I would love to see him put in the rotation or perhaps pitch every other week.

hold2dibber
07-17-2006, 09:37 AM
McCarthy is surely our second best starting pitcher. Why is he not in the rotation while we continue to lose games and ground ?

What will it take for the Sox to put him in the rotation ? Will they wait until we are behind the Yankees in the WC race ?

How can you be so sure? I'm very concerned about the starting pitching at this point and I think at some juncture you might want to think about giving McCarthy a spot start or two to see what he does, but in his one start so far this season, he was lousy. And he obviously doesn't have the pedigree of the guys who are in the rotation. I agree that the team needs to monitor the situation and, if things continue to deteriorate, give McCarthy a shot. But blanket statements like "he's our 2nd best starter right now" smack of "back-up quarterback" syndrome to me.

southside rocks
07-17-2006, 09:42 AM

Do you think he should be added to the rotation, or substituted for a current starter? There's a thread on a 6-man rotation active; maybe you saw it.

If you substitute him for a current starter, what do you think should be done with the starter he replaces? Sent to the bullpen?

Messing with the starting rotation is a big, big deal because pitchers are head cases, and they get really weirded out about stuff like that. It's a simple change on paper, and complicated and messy in real life. And taking a starter who isn't having health problems and sending him to the pen is an enormous blow to that starter, and could easily mess up his head for the rest of the season. I get the feeling that Ozzie and KW are not anxious for that to happen.

You're also, I think, assuming that McCarthy would continue his good performance while slipping seamlessly into a starting role. I doubt that. There would be a mental adjustment for him, too. Remember, he was not so good earlier in the year as he adjusted to his bullpen status. Any change, to a pitcher, is a big deal, and this probably isn't the time to be messing with the heads of any of the pitchers in that way.

White Sox Randy
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
From what I have seen of McCarthy, last year and this year, I feel that RIGHT NOW, he would give us a better chance to win than any starter but Contreras.

I think that we should trade Garcia or Vazquez now.

I don't understand why the Giants wouldn't take either one for Jason Schmidt who they will almost surely lose after this season ? Atleast they get a pretty good starter for one more season or more.

We also need one more strong RH in the bullpen. I would love it to be Tom Gordon.

Philly needs starting pitching badly. So, why not one of those two for Gordon and a prospect or two ?

It makes sense to me. I don't think will accomplish our goals with the staff that we have now. We typically need to score 5 or 6 runs to win now - more against a really good offensive club.

And, if we get shut down to 3 runs or less, we won't win.

SoxFan76
07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
How can you be so sure he's the 2nd best starting pitcher when he's started 1 game this year?

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
How can you be so sure he's the 2nd best starting pitcher when he's started 1 game this year?

And gave up 3 ER in 4 IP.

Thome25
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
From what I have seen of McCarthy, last year and this year, I feel that RIGHT NOW, he would give us a better chance to win than any starter but Contreras.

I think that we should trade Garcia or Vazquez now.

I don't understand why the Giants wouldn't take either one for Jason Schmidt who they will almost surely lose after this season ? Atleast they get a pretty good starter for one more season or more.

We also need one more strong RH in the bullpen. I would love it to be Tom Gordon.

Philly needs starting pitching badly. So, why not one of those two for Gordon and a prospect or two ?

It makes sense to me. I don't think will accomplish our goals with the staff that we have now. We typically need to score 5 or 6 runs to win now - more against a really good offensive club.

And, if we get shut down to 3 runs or less, we won't win.

I agree with this post. I thnk Vazquez and Garcia are both showing the effects of pitching in the WBC. Freddy is showing more wear and tear because he pitched the long season last year.

As much as it hurts to say this I think Freddy's done. Stick a fork in him. He's been pretty terrible all season long and I don't see him turning it around.

I don't think the Sox can afford to have both of them struggling in the rotation at the same time. One of them has to go.

I think Freddy has more trade value than Vazquez right now. If we could trade one of them in a package for some top-notch relief help and maybe another player or two, I'm all for that.

kittle42
07-17-2006, 10:08 AM
This thread is filled with cutting-edge, in-depth baseball insight and analysis.

07-17-2006, 10:14 AM
I agree with this post. I thnk Vazquez and Garcia are both showing the effects of pitching in the WBC. Freddy is showing more wear and tear because he pitched the long season last year.

As much as it hurts to say this I think Freddy's done. Stick a fork in him. He's been pretty terrible all season long and I don't see him turning it around.

I don't think the Sox can afford to have both of them struggling in the rotation at the same time. One of them has to go.

I think Freddy has more trade value than Vazquez right now. If we could trade one of them in a package for some top-notch relief help and maybe another player or two, I'm all for that.

Do you really think the WBC has effected their pitching?...I just don't see how pitching in a 2 week tournament has effected their arms....Freddy came out of the gate with less velocity right in his first start in April.....Javy has pretty much been pitching the same way as he always has, some great days, some bad days.....I think they should give BMAC 2 starts, maybve giving Bueherle or Garcia a day off, and see how he does, before we make a big leap and trade a proven Veteran....In reguards to Schimdt, why would SF trade there # 1 starter when they are still in the race? And who is to say SF won't resign him after the year? People are so quick to say "Trade him now or get nothing for him"....who is to say they don't plan to resign him?

DaleJRFan
07-17-2006, 10:20 AM

2 of those 3 ER were LONG homeruns. If there were men on base, it would have been a disaster. Thankfully, he only managed 4 IP.

The Dude
07-17-2006, 10:24 AM

How do you know hes the second best starter? He's started one game and got beat by the D-Rays and lasted only 4 innings! He's not ready mentally to become a full starter as he's been pitching from the pen. As I've said earlier and I think KW has, wait till the offseason to plug him into the starter role so he gets there mentally. But don't think for a moment that he's head over heals better than Garcia, Vazquez or Garland just yet!

EDIT: I now see that others have echoed my statement!

Mr. White Sox
07-17-2006, 10:30 AM
2 of those 3 ER were LONG homeruns. If there were men on base, it would have been a disaster. Thankfully, he only managed 4 IP.

He also wasn't stretched out to make a start, if I remember correctly.

I think at this point in time, McCarthy is a better option than Vazquez (and probably Freddy), discounting Javy's upcoming start against a good team which will give us a better barometer on the situation. The problem is the amount of time needed to stretch McCarthy out into a starter and the bullpen loss during that period of time. If they really wanted to do this, Ozzie/Coop would need to begin stretching Brandon out as soon as Kenny has a deal in place to better smooth the transition from BP to starter.

The fact of the matter is, this team is most likely making the playoffs, and you'd only need four starters in October. Assuming the "worst-case scenario" for the starters is that one of Freddy or Javy are traded away, you're only using one of Freddy or Javier in the playoffs as it is, making either one slightly more expendable.

I'd personally love Javier's arm in the bullpen come playoff time, but I'm not sure about Freddy's ability to start this year, despite his "gamer" status. A gamer that throws 88mph fastballs and junk curves can only play up to his ability to control the ball, which he didn't have to worry about as much last year. Freddy does not = Buehrle.

Also, for the inevitable arguments about McCarthy not having playoff experience, look at what Garland/Contreras/Buehrle (I guess the 2000 playoffs count as experience, but not much) did in the playoffs last year. Playoff "experience" is quite overrated.

I guess after reading what I've wrote my name should be changed to Mr. Flip Flop, as I have no definitive opinion on what should be done here. Whatever happens, come October Ozzie will have quite an interesting situation on his hands.

White Sox Randy
07-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I have a feeling that by August he'll be in our rotation. And, I'll bet he's better than what have we have been throwing out there.

Yes. He had one start this year and it was GREAT - compared to most of Buehrle's recent starts and some of Vazquez starts.

He was great for over 4 innings against Boston in the 19 inning game. Who on our team could have held them to 1 hit ?

Ofcourse he'll have a bad game now and then just like every pitcher. But, this guy has it in his gut. All you have to do is watch him. I knew that Ozzie should not have taken him out after 1 batter the other day for Cotts. McCarthy just looked so good. He looks like he wants to win more than anybody out there.

Chicken Dinner
07-17-2006, 10:31 AM
It seems like the staff is too complacent. They're expecting 6 or 7 runs of offense and don't seem to be pitching like they're only going to get 2. I also think the 1st inning bloodbath has got to stop.

The Dude
07-17-2006, 11:02 AM
He also wasn't stretched out to make a start, if I remember correctly.

I think at this point in time, McCarthy is a better option than Vazquez (and probably Freddy), discounting Javy's upcoming start against a good team which will give us a better barometer on the situation. The problem is the amount of time needed to stretch McCarthy out into a starter and the bullpen loss during that period of time. If they really wanted to do this, Ozzie/Coop would need to begin stretching Brandon out as soon as Kenny has a deal in place to better smooth the transition from BP to starter.

The fact of the matter is, this team is most likely making the playoffs, and you'd only need four starters in October. Assuming the "worst-case scenario" for the starters is that one of Freddy or Javy are traded away, you're only using one of Freddy or Javier in the playoffs as it is, making either one slightly more expendable.

I'd personally love Javier's arm in the bullpen come playoff time, but I'm not sure about Freddy's ability to start this year, despite his "gamer" status. A gamer that throws 88mph fastballs and junk curves can only play up to his ability to control the ball, which he didn't have to worry about as much last year. Freddy does not = Buehrle.

Also, for the inevitable arguments about McCarthy not having playoff experience, look at what Garland/Contreras/Buehrle (I guess the 2000 playoffs count as experience, but not much) did in the playoffs last year. Playoff "experience" is quite overrated.

I guess after reading what I've wrote my name should be changed to Mr. Flip Flop, as I have no definitive opinion on what should be done here. Whatever happens, come October Ozzie will have quite an interesting situation on his hands.
And who is our backup starter if there is an injury if we trade one of them? That's why McCarthy is in the pen!

Lip Man 1
07-17-2006, 12:14 PM
1917:

The WBC has bothered the pitchers because the time off was trimmed by almost two months! One month longer playing for Garcia (early October to October 24) AND because he actually had to pitch meaningful innings against major league hitters in early February he had to start preparing in JANUARY (instead of easing into things starting in mid February...)

The WBC is insane and right now the Sox are paying dearly for it.

Chicken:

I agree with you to the extent that concentration and focus plays a part in this. In fact AJ himself is quoted in a newspaper today as saying the same thing (Garland disagress saying it's all fatigue..)

I think it's a combination myself.

Regarding McCarthy both Ozzie and Kenny have said in strong terms no pitcher will be traded and McCarthy is not going to be moved out of the bullpen. (Partly because it's not fair to him...you're a starter...no, we want you for middle relief....no, you need to start...) It's not as easy as some make it out to be to consistently be bounced around like a ping-pong ball.

Lip

Jjav829
07-17-2006, 12:24 PM
And who is our backup starter if there is an injury if we trade one of them? That's why McCarthy is in the pen!

Haegar, Tracey, etc.

We can't always have some starter sitting in the pen waiting in case of an injury.

As for McCarthy being our #2, that's a big over the top, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to think McCarthy could be an upgrade over Vazquez at this point. The only issue with starting Bmac now would be stretching him out. He's been in the bullpen for three and a half months now, so how long would it be before he can go 6 innings?

TomParrish79
07-17-2006, 12:26 PM
how can you say that McCarthy is our #2 starter when he has made 1 start this year.....and when he often gets rocked making appearances out of the bullpen?

wdelaney72
07-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I'm a big fan of McCarthy and think he has lots of potential, but his resume is a bit light.
:bong:

Fake Chet Lemon
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm a big fan of McCarthy and think he has lots of potential, but his resume is a bit light.

HOW CAN HE BUILD A RESUME IF NEVER GIVEN THE CHANCE? I'm not saying he's great yet, but why do the Sox refuse to give him a chance? That's not fair to the kid. It's just time to give him an opportunity in the starting rotation to see what he does. The Twins did it this year and they got an All-Star out of it.

If there is a chance he is one of the top 5 starters on the team, WHY DOES OZZIE NOT WANT TO KNOW???? That makes no sense.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Sox management has already clearly announced that McCarthy is in the rotation next season which means one of the five starts will be traded this off season.

Lip

White Sox Randy
07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Sox management has already clearly announced that McCarthy is in the rotation next season which means one of the five starts will be traded this off season.

Lip\

I know that has been the plan all along. But, I think, now they must be re-thinking that. The bullpen needs help and the starters are not getting it done like last year .

We need some new blood in here and the best trading chip we have is an extra starter. It's a great luxury to have but come playoff time, a dozen average starters doesn't help you.

SpringfldFan
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
A couple of points here: First, I seem to recall McCarthy being pretty lights out in a handful of starts down the stretch last year. Does anyone have stats on that to verify? Also, if he isn't stretched out and is physically and mentally unready to be a starter, why the hell have we been talking about him as "insurance" if a current starter goes down?

SFF

hold2dibber
07-17-2006, 02:17 PM
HOW CAN HE BUILD A RESUME IF NEVER GIVEN THE CHANCE? I'm not saying he's great yet, but why do the Sox refuse to give him a chance? That's not fair to the kid. It's just time to give him an opportunity in the starting rotation to see what he does. The Twins did it this year and they got an All-Star out of it.

If there is a chance he is one of the top 5 starters on the team, WHY DOES OZZIE NOT WANT TO KNOW???? That makes no sense.

Not giving him a chance? What are you talking about? The guy just turned 23 years old. He has been pretty good, but definitely not great out of the pen this year. It's not like he's been lights out (like Liriano was) in the pen and it's not like he has a long track record of sucess behind him (he has had success, but he's still extremely young). They're grooming him and, IMHO, they're grooming him in a reasonable and responsible fashion. If he was going like gang-busters out of the pen, those screaming for him to be included in the rotation now would have a much better case. But he's been inconsistent and he's young and anyone who thinks he's earned, or otherwise clearly deserves, a shot in the rotation is suffering from back-up QB syndrome.

nug0hs
07-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Toss him in, lets get a 6 man rotation going. Don't bullpen one of the other starters but give him an extra day of rest.

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 03:03 PM
\

I know that has been the plan all along. But, I think, now they must be re-thinking that. The bullpen needs help and the starters are not getting it done like last year .

We need some new blood in here and the best trading chip we have is an extra starter. It's a great luxury to have but come playoff time, a dozen average starters doesn't help you.

According to yesterday's Sun-Times, Kenny Williams is not rethinking that. Source: Kenny Williams. Any questions?

White Sox Randy
07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
According to yesterday's Sun-Times, Kenny Williams is not rethinking that. Source: Kenny Williams. Any questions?

Umm, you should know by now that there are certain things that KW will not say publicly - for obvious reasons.

Paulwny
07-17-2006, 04:02 PM
If KW is thinking of trading Garcia or Vazquez, no better way to lower their trade value than replacing one of them with McCarthy and putting one of them in the pen. You don't make any hasty changes until the trading dead line is over.

nysox35
07-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I am a big B Mac fan, but calling him the #2 starter is a little much.

Right now, I think our rotation is as follows:
1 JC
2 Garland
3 MB
4 Vaz
5 Freddy

I'm talking about the last few starts for each.
Over time I expect Mark to go back up to #2, garland to stay solid and 1 of freddy or javy to step up.

Also, the B Mac filter is beyond stupid...

KyWhiSoxFan
07-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm ready for McCarthy to enter the rotation right now, somehow, someway. Contreras and McCarthy were the stalwarts holding the team together late Aug. and Sept. when things got tight. As the fifth starter, he was clutch.

I don't want to hear about his one start this year. A representative sample of his work last year after he was recalled suggests he will be an effective, reliable starter that gives the team a chance to win.

TornLabrum
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I am a big B Mac fan, but calling him the #2 starter is a little much.

Right now, I think our rotation is as follows:
1 JC
2 Garland
3 MB
4 Vaz
5 Freddy

I'm talking about the last few starts for each.
Over time I expect Mark to go back up to #2, garland to stay solid and 1 of freddy or javy to step up.

Also, the B Mac filter is beyond stupid...

I'm sure West appreciates your input and will now leave it on for an extra few weeks just because of you.

Daver
07-17-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm sure West appreciates your input and will now leave it on for an extra few weeks just because of you.

I'm going to ask him to make it permanent.

soxinem1
07-17-2006, 10:28 PM

A spot start in the situation he was placed in is by no means a strong enogh barometer to judge him. He was not in a starter's routine, so I give him a pass.

But if Philly wants either Garcia or Vasquez for Gordon, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

kwolf68
07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't know where McCarthy is on the list, but I thought he earned a spot in the rotation with his masterful performance over the past two months of 2005, essentially having direct cause on the Sox holding off Cleveland.

With El Duque' heading out, it looked like McCarthy's time had come.

So we trade for Vazquez and McCarthy is automatically demoted back out the rotation. That is what makes Vazquez's pitiful performance this year all the tougher to stomach.

I don't know how long we'll go with him, but 2 or 3 more starts where he is shelled and simply not capable of tossing a quality start should be enough to have him moved to the pen, thus giving McCarthy a shot.

In short, I don't expect to win Game 2 of the series versus Detroit with Vazquez on the mound. I hope he turns it around and helps the Sox get back onto a roll, but I doubt he is that guy.

cburns
07-17-2006, 11:57 PM
It's time for McCarthy. Take Vasquez out. Put Brandon in the rotation. Trial by fire.

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2006, 12:04 AM
No it isnt

MrRoboto83
07-18-2006, 12:05 AM
It's time for McCarthy. Take Vasquez out. Put Brandon in the rotation. Trial by fire.

Why?

BadBobbyJenks
07-18-2006, 12:08 AM
I think he has finally adjusted to the pen, to move him back into the starting role would be stupid in my opinion. Im telling you vazquez will be good in the 2nd half and will be starting in the post season.

StockdaleForVeep
07-18-2006, 02:40 AM

Where the hell u get second best already? The kid has proven nothing as a starter, hell by that reasoning i can say cotts is our ace then cuz of what he did last year and how he was supposed to be part of the next 1-2 punch in oakland

TornLabrum
07-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Where the hell u get second best already? The kid has proven nothing as a starter, hell by that reasoning i can say cotts is our ace then cuz of what he did last year and how he was supposed to be part of the next 1-2 punch in oakland

I remember a guy on the Sox mailing list who after a hundred or so at bats, mostly against lefthanders, told me that Chris Snopek was one of the top six shortstops in the major leagues. I guess it was the move to third base that destroyed his career, not having to face righthanded pitchers.

This is an example of the same phenomenon.

wdelaney72
07-18-2006, 09:35 AM

This is an experiment that takes place at the start of the season, not after the all-star break when your trying to make the playoffs. You put your money on the experienced veterans who have gotten you there before. Brandon goes in to the starting rotation next spring, not now.

roadrunner
07-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Vazquez was brought in this year to pitch like a frontline pitcher, not a typical fifth starter. He has not done the job. (perhaps his stats were padded in the NL) McCarthy is clearly going to be in our rotation someday. If Vazquez doesn't pitch well and win versus Detroit then McCarthy's day has come. I have no problem whatsoever trading Vazquez for Gordon. Gordon immediately improves all facets of the pen while the rotation may even improve with the insertion of McCarthy. (The one risk, of course, is injury.) The beauty of having Gordon is that the team is stronger every game. The improvement he would provide would be similar to that of an everyday player.

SpringfldFan
07-18-2006, 10:36 AM
OK, I took it upon myself to look up McCarthy's 2005 stats. This is after he was thrown from the pen into the rotation late in the year:

Aug. 30: 7.2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 2K
Sep. 5: 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 7K
Sep. 11: 5.2 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 0 BB, 8K (entered in 3rd inning)
Sep. 22: 8.0 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 4K
Sep. 27: 6.1 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 0 BB, 4K
Oct. 2: 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 5K
Total: 39.2 IP, 7 ER, 29 H, 5 BB, 30K (1.59 ERA)

This is the guy who somehow now isn't ready to be a starter? Sorry, I don't get the reasoning. Oh yeah, he is now "too valuable" in the pen. Well, I have a term for that - its called getting "Cotts'ed". Maybe it worked out best for Neil, but I don't want the same fate for McCarthy and if he isn't in the rotation from day 1 next year, I'll....I'll... uh, I better just quit typing. Just looking at those 2005 stats again is giving me a severe case of post rage right now...

SFF

White Sox Randy
07-18-2006, 12:16 PM
OK, I took it upon myself to look up McCarthy's 2005 stats. This is after he was thrown from the pen into the rotation late in the year:

Aug. 30: 7.2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 2K
Sep. 5: 7.0 IP, 0 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 7K
Sep. 11: 5.2 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 0 BB, 8K (entered in 3rd inning)
Sep. 22: 8.0 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 1 BB, 4K
Sep. 27: 6.1 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 0 BB, 4K
Oct. 2: 5.0 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 5K
Total: 39.2 IP, 7 ER, 29 H, 5 BB, 30K (1.59 ERA)

This is the guy who somehow now isn't ready to be a starter? Sorry, I don't get the reasoning. Oh yeah, he is now "too valuable" in the pen. Well, I have a term for that - its called getting "Cotts'ed". Maybe it worked out best for Neil, but I don't want the same fate for McCarthy and if he isn't in the rotation from day 1 next year, I'll....I'll... uh, I better just quit typing. Just looking at those 2005 stats again is giving me a severe case of post rage right now...

SFF

There is NO doubt in my mind that we would win more games with McCarthy in the rotation. Even at his age he is a smarter pitcher than most of our starters.

0o0o0
07-18-2006, 12:23 PM
There is NO doubt in my mind that we would win more games with McCarthy in the rotation. Even at his age he is a smarter pitcher than most of our starters.

What? There has to be doubt. That means you can guarantee that he would be better and, well, you can't.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
This is an experiment that takes place at the start of the season, not after the all-star break when your trying to make the playoffs. You put your money on the experienced veterans who have gotten you there before. Brandon goes in to the starting rotation next spring, not now.

You put your money in the second half on your BEST 5 starters, period. If McCarthy is one of the best 5 starters on the team, then you are 100% wrong.

I'm not saying he is, I'm just saying we should know the answer to that before we ban him from the rotation. To possibly throw away a World Series berth to best develop Brandon McCarthy is dumb. As we all know, those berths don't come around that often. Let's try to win the 2006 Series this year, not 2007's.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Kenny said with all the off days in the second-half a 4-man rotation was possible. He wouldn't say that for no reason. If so, and assuming McCarthy gets a shot and he performs:

Contreras
Garland (won 4 of last 5 starts)
McCarthy
* Now we just need one other guy to step up betweem Buehrle, Garcia, Vasquez

That seems better than what we have been trotting out there lately, doesn't it? Every Wild Card contender is hot, we can't fall behind 3 teams in the next few weeks or we are toast. This ain't the NL.

Blueprint1
07-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Kenny said with all the off days in the second-half a 4-man rotation was possible. He wouldn't say that for no reason. If so, and assuming McCarthy gets a shot and he performs:

Contreras
McCarthy

That seems better than what we have been trotting out there lately, doesn't it? Every Wild Card contender is hot, we can't fall behind 3 teams in the next few weeks or we are toast. This ain't the NL.

Four man rotation is not good. If our starters are tired they need all the rest they can get. I think the Buehrle, and Garcia will come around. Garland has been the most consistant starter lately. Jose has been good most of the year. Vasquez just needs to pull it together. I know he has the stuff. I like McCarthy in the rotation next year. This year only if someone doesn't pick up the slack.

Fake Chet Lemon
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Four man rotation is not good. If our starters are tired they need all the rest they can get. I think the Buehrle, and Garcia will come around. Garland has been the most consistant starter lately. Jose has been good most of the year. Vasquez just needs to pull it together. I know he has the stuff. I like McCarthy in the rotation next year. This year only if someone doesn't pick up the slack.

Again, Kenny said using the off-days. So if they do it right, basically on normal rest with someone I assume doing a rare spot start.

StockdaleForVeep
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
I remember a guy on the Sox mailing list who after a hundred or so at bats, mostly against lefthanders, told me that Chris Snopek was one of the top six shortstops in the major leagues. I guess it was the move to third base that destroyed his career, not having to face righthanded pitchers.

This is an example of the same phenomenon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/1999/06/24/twins_whitesox/t1_caruso_ap_01.jpg
"Ozzie who?"

FarWestChicago
07-18-2006, 09:28 PM

Contreras
McCarthy

That seems better than what we have been trotting out there lately, doesn't it? Every Wild Card contender is hot, we can't fall behind 3 teams in the next few weeks or we are toast. This ain't the NL.Are you completely insane? Seriously, what the hell are you smoking? Wow. :o:

Lip Man 1
07-18-2006, 09:34 PM
No offense but could you please show me that quote? A four man rotation with a bunch of guys who are in a tired stretch right now?

:o:

Lip